Michael Vick Day at the ballpark

FUNNY AND TACKY, ALL AT THE SAME TIME. Gotta love it :cheers

Michael Vick's prison cell at the U.S. Penitentiary in Leavenworth, Kan., is only about 16 miles away from where the Kansas City T-Bones play independent league baseball, in the Northern League. That proximity has led the T-Bones to schedule a May 28 Michael Vick "Welcome to the Neighborhood" night at their CommunityAmerica Ballpark.

In conjunction with about 10 nearby animal shelters, the T-Bones will have a warning-track parade of dogs that are up for adoption. The team says it's trying to increase awareness of animal abuse with the tie to Vick. The former Atlanta Falcons quarterback is imprisoned for dogfighting offenses, to which he pleaded guilty.

"We're all big animal lovers here. A lot of us have dogs," T-Bones spokesman and radio announcer Tommy Thrall says. "We thought, 'How can we make this a positive deal?' "

But here's the touchy part: The T-Bones will wear black-and-white striped jerseys, prison style. The visiting Gary SouthShore RailCats will wear bright orange jumpsuit jerseys, similar to the ones DUI offenders wear while picking up roadside trash.

"Unfortunately, we can't do full jumpsuits, because that limits mobility," Thrall says.

Independent league team's Vick night bothers some - USATODAY.com

Re: Michael Vick Day at the ballpark

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" width="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">this whole thing is tacky as shit
</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

raycabino

Long Live Wilson!

Seems to me they can have their little animal appreciation day without throwing Vick's face in the dirt anymore than it already has. I wonder if it were Tom Brady in Vick's spot if they would welcome Brady into the neighborhood like this (I know,I know, Brady wouldn't fight dogs). It would serve these assholes right if the thugs of Kansas City started a riot during this demonstration. Don't get me wrong, I don't condone animal abuse but give me a break with this nonsense.

Seems to me they can have their little animal appreciation day without throwing Vick's face in the dirt anymore than it already has. . It would serve these assholes right if the thugs of Kansas City started a riot during this demonstration.

What a well thought-out response from raycabino ! The thugs need to start a riot!

Never underestimate the posters.

raycabino

Long Live Wilson!

What a well thought-out response from raycabino ! The thugs need to start a riot!

Never underestimate the posters.
I don't see the word "need" anywhere in my post. I just don't understand why they feel the need to bash a guy that is already doing more time than he deserves just to appreciate dogs.

OMNIVOROUS FROG

EOG Master

It's for a good cause, The players and the fans can have some fun with it. Good for them. As far as Vick has had enough? The guy is a lying scumbag POS. He totally burned everyone who put thier faith and trust in him. Now he is a career snitch, a permanent CI. He is just about as low as you can get. He will never have enough in the rest of his miserable life.

Best Wishes...OF :cheers

raycabino

Long Live Wilson!

It's for a good cause, The players and the fans can have some fun with it. Good for them. As far as Vick has had enough? The guy is a lying scumbag POS. He totally burned everyone who put thier faith and trust in him. Now he is a career snitch, a permanent CI. He is just about as low as you can get. He will never have enough in the rest of his miserable life.

Yeah, they will have a ton of fun once the shit starts. I was under the impression that Vick was the rattee not the ratter but I could be wrong there. I wonder what race the person who thought of this brilliant idea was.:+clueless Yet we wonder why tension is always high amongst the races.

Best Wishes... RC :cheers

OMNIVOROUS FROG

EOG Master

On his plea deal he signed off to be a career snitch, for a lighter sentence. As far as race, even the NCAAP, Jesse Jackson and The Reverend Al Sharpton condemned him. When the truth finally emerged the blacks hated him more than the whites because he ended up being a disgrace to thier race. This is one situation that actually transcended race.

raycabino

Long Live Wilson!

"On his plea deal he signed off to be a career snitch, for a lighter sentence."

Does this mean he has to report all dog fight incidents he has knowledge of once he gets out? I don't know much about deals like such. What exactly are his requirements once he is released and what are the consequences for failing to meet such requirements? Just curious more than anything else.

OMNIVOROUS FROG

EOG Master

As part of the plea deal, Vick agreed, if asked, to provide "full, complete and truthful cooperation" with federal prosecutors "regarding any criminal activity as requested by the government." That raises the strong possibility that prosecutors will ask Vick to tell them what he knows about dogfighting operations or other criminal activity.

Entire article here.

ESPN - Vick pleads to dogfighting charge; says he didn't make 'side bets' - NFL

Any criminal activity, as in a snitch for life. You still want to defend this punk? You think he has had enough? Fuck him.

Best Wishes...OF :hung

raycabino

Long Live Wilson!

As part of the plea deal, Vick agreed, if asked, to provide "full, complete and truthful cooperation" with federal prosecutors "regarding any criminal activity as requested by the government." That raises the strong possibility that prosecutors will ask Vick to tell them what he knows about dogfighting operations or other criminal activity.

Entire article here.

ESPN - Vick pleads to dogfighting charge; says he didn't make 'side bets' - NFL

Any criminal activity, as in a snitch for life. You still want to defend this punk? You think he has had enough? Fuck him.

Best Wishes...OF :hung

Reading the article surely makes it tougher to defend Vick no doubt, but I still think the theme night is out of line. Thx for the info.

OMNIVOROUS FROG

EOG Master

Is it out of line? Probably. But like I said, it is for a good cause, and if all concerned have no problem with it, good for them. If they help any dogs find a home, or do any good then it is all good.

Best Wishes...OF :+signs8-1

I think it's awesome! Some people need to lighten up.

What would be even cooler, is if when he got out, they continued to have it and Vick came to throw out the first pitch!

It would be nice to see him taking it in stride.

See KFED in the commercial where he's on fries.:LMAO

I've read Vick's actual plea agreement, in which he agrees to provide truthful information about any criminal activity that he is questioned about. For what it's worth, ALL federal plea agreement include the duty to truthfully debrief with federal agents regarding the criminal enterprise the defendant is involved in, which includes info about codefendants; that's nothing unusual. Vick's agreement does go further and leave open the possibility of further cooperation with the government in return for a 5K motion by the government for a reduced sentence. I've seen very few federal defendant's who don't jump at the chance for such a reduction. Most don't have enough information to placate the government, and therefore don't get the reduction. I don't believe the U.S. Attorney filed a 5K motion in Vick's case, so apparently he didn't possess the requisite amount of information regarding OTHER criminal activity either.

aceduecetrey

EOG Addicted

Froggy- He does not have to be a "career nitch" as you say. He was obligated to divulge any information that he at the time that he pled guilty. He has no furthur obligations to cooperate.

dirty

EOG Master

T-Bones scrap welcome party for Michael Vick
Kansas City minor league baseball team regrets idea

Published on: 04/18/08 KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) — A minor league baseball team has dropped plans to hold a welcome party for Michael Vick.
The Kansas City T-Bones of the Northern League had planned to have a Michael Vick "Welcome to the Neighborhood" night May 28, complete with prison uniforms, spotlights and escape sirens. Other events promoting caring for animals also were planned.
<!--endtext--><!--endclickprintinclude--><table align="left" border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="175"><tbody><tr><td><table bgcolor="#cccccc" border="0" cellpadding="1" cellspacing="0" width="170"><tbody><tr><td><table bgcolor="#ffffff" border="0" cellpadding="9" cellspacing="0" width="168"><tbody><tr><td class="body">RELATED STORIES Complete Vick coverage
</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table><!--startclickprintinclude--><!--begintext--> Vick, the former Atlanta Falcons quarterback, is serving a 23-month sentence at the U.S. Penitentiary in nearby Leavenworth after pleading guilty to federal charges related to dogfighting.
After receiving complaints about the promotion, the club announced Friday that it will drop the Vick-related events and will focus only on events that promote animal safety and adoptions.
"It was not our intent to be culturally insensitive," T-Bones general manager Rick Muntean said. "We simply wanted to raise awareness for what we think are great causes.
"We recognize that the health and well-being of animals is a widely-supported cause of our fan base, so we're going to keep that our only focus."
The night will include a dog parade, pregame dog adoptions and entertainment by Rockin' Ray and the Sky Dogs.

T-Bones scrap welcome party for Michael Vick | ajc.com

TonyMar

EOG Dedicated

Nice to see Con-Vick getting some love...

Will be interesting to see if he gets any from Goodell down the line...kinda doubt he will have much use for an individual that lied to his face... and put the league into that frying pan.

OMNIVOROUS FROG

EOG Master

Culturally insensitive? They care about the underground dog fighting subculture? Gimme a break, if Vick was white no one would have said anything. Who is going to throw out the first pitch, OJ? Pathetic, I would have done it anyway. Sounded like a hoot.

Best Wishes...OF :+clueless

Glad to see they did the right thing and dropped Vick's name out of it but are still going thru with the event

At least this whole thing has given the events that night a little more attention

Vick Tribute

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aX5B--jlukY&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aX5B--jlukY&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Glad to see they did the right thing and dropped Vick's name out of it but are still going thru with the event

At least this whole thing has given the events that night a little more attention

My thoughts as well. The idea of incorporating Vick's name into an otherwise beneficial event struck me as unsavory for a number of reasons. . . .