Why aren't there more guys that throw the knuckleball???

I know the timing isn't the greatest for this thread, considering how Wakefield got creamed last night, but you have to wonder why more coaches haven't turned guys into knuckle-ballers

Look at all the arm problems the past decade or so. If a pitcher can throw a knuckler any good, he's just about guaranteed a long, healthy career.

My only guess is that there aren't too many guys around to teach it

raycabino

Long Live Wilson!
Re: Why aren't there more guys that throw the knuckleball???

It's the toughest pitch to master for sure IMO.

trytrytry

All I do is trytrytry

so hard to throw strikes with that gimmick pitch

Catchers don't like working with knuckleball pitchers. You never know where it's going to go.

Knucklers are wild by nature and when they have to rely on their batting practice fastball to get strikes, it tends to get tattooed. I say batting practice because if the pitcher varies his arm motion too much, the batter will know exactly what pitch is coming. His fastball will have to look like his knuckler.

Wakefield has a career ERA of 4.33 and a career WHIP of 1.357.

It doesn't matter how hard or how soft you throw the baseball when pitching, if you don't change speeds enough, major league hitters will zone in and start smashing the ball.

pretty much covered above.

It's a tough pitch to throw and not worth the time IMO if you already have an effective arsenal of pitches.

It's work for the catcher, and it's not easy to throw it for strikes.

It is by far the toughest pitch to throw, catch, and hit. A good knuckler needs to have other outs when runners are on base or the runners will advance easily.

-WLY-

some very good points.

Figured a few guys who have come back from Tommy John surgeries or other arm problems would have taken up the pitch.

If I was a middle of the road guy with a history of arm problems, I'd be looking to extend my career by a few years

Journeyman

EOG Master

Yeah but it's not like anyone can just decide to become a kuckler, it's almost like being born with it, you can either do it like .02 % or you can like 99.8%

Wilbur Wood was the exception and an incredible baseball story, do some research on Wood he had such a crazy career, and he was a lefty to boot, great story.

Journeyman

EOG Master

Some posts I made about Wilbur Wood from a couple years ago...good read

Wilbur Wood- lefthanded knuckleballer, that alone is a bit of an oddity, how many lefthanded knuckleballers can you recall?

I hope to use this column to introduce and/or reacquaint readers with some of these lesser known characters. Though their statistics may not be Hall of Fame caliber, their stories are often worth telling.

Wilbur Wood broke in to MLB at age 19, he never started more than 8 games until he was 29 years old, another peculiar quirk in his very unique career...

From 1971-74 Wood won 90 games,he also lost 69 over that period,but did win 20 or more games in all four seasons.... he was the ultimate rubber-armed pitcher..... in the same four year period he completed 87 games...

A knuckleballer with exceptional control, Wood posted a better than two-to-one strikeouts to walks ratio for those four campaigns. This is the story of one of the most underrated players of the last thirty years.

Wood made history in other ways in 1973. On Monday night, May 28, he took the mound against Cleveland in the completion of a game suspended two nights earlier after 16 innings. He threw five innings, and although allowing an unearned run to the Indians in the top of the 21st inning, Chicago rallied for four in the bottom of the frame, Wood receiving the win.

In the evening's regularly-scheduled game, Wilbur hurled a complete game, four-hit shutout, thus winning two games in the same day. His line for the night: 14 innings pitched, six hits, one unearned run, three walks, nine strikeouts.

All of this my have never happened had Wood not been introduced to famous Knuckleballer Hoyt Wilhelm who transformed him from a below average pitccher who threw an average fastball and curve into a wicked knuckleballer with incredible control....

Wood had one of the more unique careers in MLB history...

Yeah but it's not like anyone can just decide to become a kuckler, it's almost like being born with it, you can either do it like .02 % or you can like 99.8%

Wilbur Wood was the exception and an incredible baseball story, do some research on Wood he had such a crazy career, and he was a lefty to boot, great story.

WOW. A lefty knuckle-baller. That would give hitters a headache.

Journeyman

EOG Master

more-

Also, Wilbur Wood started 97 games over a two year span , can you imagine that today?

The top starters may get 34-35 starts..

Wilbur started 48-and 49 games in back to back seasons, thats nuts! a few starts shy of 1/3 of his teams entire starts

In the 97 starts , he had 85 decisions !!!
<!-- / message -->

DAMN IMPRESSIVE J MAN

So, I guess if said "Journeyman was the Wilbur Wood of the RX, I wouldn't be too far off base??" :cheers

Journeyman

EOG Master

It's all up here (points to head) ;)

yeah I was that guy...and was never appreciated...whatever.