JIM EDMONDS TO THE CUBS???

d ray

EOG Dedicated
Re: JIM EDMONDS TO THE CUBS???

I haven't heard anything, that would suprise me. With Reed Johnson playing well, unless they are completely giving up on Felix Pie. i don't think Lou would let that happen, he likes Pie.

d ray

EOG Dedicated

i did not know this guy was released, maybe i could see it happening then. maybe they plan on him to just be a pinch hitter, daryle ward has been struggling off the bench for them this year. they could use a lefty pinch hitter.

d ray

EOG Dedicated

Cubs interested in Edmonds
Hendry poised to ink lefty-hitting outfielder
By Paul Sullivan
Tribune reporter

May 12, 2008, 10:22 PM CDT

The Cubs have interest in recently released center fielder Jim Edmonds, who is likely to clear waivers Wednesday.

Edmonds, who turns 38 on June 27, hit .178 with a .265 on-base percentage for the Padres, and the general consensus seems to be that he's well past his prime. The longtime Cardinals star hit 29 home runs in 2005 but fought leg injuries the last two seasons before being traded to the Padres last winter after San Diego failed to sign Kosuke Fukudome.

General manager Jim Hendry could not comment, but sources in the Cubs organization insist he will jump at the chance to sign Edmonds if he's available.

If the Cubs sign him and it doesn't work out, they can always pull the plug quickly and move on. Edmonds has a .297 career average against right-handers, and the Cubs would only have to pay him the major-league minimum. He signed a two-year, $19 million deal with St. Louis after the Cardinals won the '06 World Series, including an $8 million salary this season.

The Cubs desperately need another left-handed hitter, and Edmonds would fill the bill if he can still hit and stay off the disabled list. Felix Pie doesn't look like he's going to be the kind of hitter the Cubs envisioned and appears to be headed back to Triple-A Iowa soon to work on his stroke.

Padres pitcher Greg Maddux said Monday he thinks Edmonds still has something left in his tank.

"He was really starting to hit better the last couple of weeks," Maddux said, adding that Edmonds may have rushed himself back from an early-season calf injury.

After hitting .153 in April, Edmonds was 5-for-18 (.278) in six games in May with a .381 on-base percentage. While his defense isn't what it used to be, the eight-time Gold Glover would be playing his home games in a much smaller ballpark than spacious Petco Park.

Former Cubs general manager Ed Lynch made a similar gamble in the summer of 1998 when he signed third baseman Gary Gaetti after the Cardinals had released him. Gaetti hit .320 with eight home runs and 27 RBIs in 37 games down the stretch and homered in Game 163, the wild-card tiebreaker against the Giants that vaulted the Cubs into the postseason.
Copyright ? 2008, The Chicago Tribune
<SCRIPT language=JavaScript> var st_v=1.0; var st_pg=""; var st_ci="703"; var st_di="d006"; var st_dd="st.sageanalyst.net"; var st_tai="v:1.2.1"; var st_ai="5880917";</SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=JavaScript1.1><!-- st_v=1.1;//--></SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=JavaScript1.2><!-- st_v=1.2;//--></SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=JavaScript1.1 src="//st.sageanalyst.net/tag-703.js"></SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=JavaScript> if (st_v==1.0) { var st_uj; var st_dn = (new Date()).getTime(); var st_rf = escape(document.referrer); st_uj = "//"+st_dd+"/"+st_dn+"/JS?ci="+st_ci+"&di="+st_di+ "&pg="+st_pg+"&rf="+st_rf+"&jv="+st_v+"&tai="+st_tai+"&ai="+st_ai; var iXz = new Image(); iXz.src = st_uj; }</SCRIPT><NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT><!-- SiteCatalyst code version: H.1.Copyright 1997-2005 Omniture, Inc. More info available athttp://www.omniture.com --><SCRIPT src="/central/javascript/mtrx/s_code_g.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=JavaScript><!-- s.pageName="Cubs interested in Edmonds - Chicago Sports / sports / baseball / cubs - Print - Option."; s.prop38="Print - Option"; s.eVar21="Print - Option"; s.server="chicagosports.chicagotribune.com"; s.channel="Chicago Sports:sports";s.prop3="";s.prop28="5880917";s.prop32=""; s.prop36=""; s.prop37=""; /* E-commerce Variables */s.events=""; s.eVar20="Chicago Sports" s.hier1="Chicago Sports:sports:baseball:cubs"; s.hier2="sports:baseball:cubs"; s.hier4="sports:baseball:cubs"; s.prop44="cs-080512-jim-edmonds-chicago-cubs"; /************* DO NOT ALTER ANYTHING BELOW THIS LINE ! **************/var s_code=s.t();if(s_code)document.write(s_code)//--> </SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=JavaScript><!--if(navigator.appVersion.indexOf('MSIE')>=0)document.write(unescape('%3C')+'\!-'+'-')//--></SCRIPT><!--<!--/DO NOT REMOVE/--><!-- End SiteCatalyst code version: H.1. --><!-- START REVENUE SCIENCE PIXELLING CODE --><SCRIPT src="http://js.revsci.net/gateway/gw.js?csid=B08725"></SCRIPT><SCRIPT src="http://js.revsci.net/common/pcx.js?tmpl=cm&csid=B08725&kr=0.32005870156395627" type=text/javascript charset=ISO-8859-1></SCRIPT><SCRIPT>DM_addEncToLoc("Site", (s.server));DM_addEncToLoc("channel", (s.channel));DM_addEncToLoc("keyword", (s.prop3));DM_cat(s.hier1);DM_tag();</SCRIPT><!-- END REVENUE SCIENCE PIXELLING CODE --><!--x-Instance-Name: i4s03n1-->

Journeyman

EOG Master

He's a very old 38, more like 41-42...playing CF the way he played it, he declined pretty fast....guys like Edmonds, Brady Anderson and Lenny Dykstra, played hard and there body gives out , Johnny Damon is another one of those type players.

He's a very old 38, more like 41-42...playing CF the way he played it, he declined pretty fast....guys like Edmonds, Brady Anderson and Lenny Dykstra, played hard and there body gives out , Johnny Damon is another one of those type players.

i agree...he's sucken...

5 star bomb

EOG Master

You guys see the catch Edmonds made in cf tonight? Trust me I have hated this guy for many years but it was a very good move for the Cubs. A veteran left handed bat who can still play a very good cf.

Bucsfan67

EOG Master

gotta admit when i'm wrong, and Edmonds has been helping the Cubs out....batting over .300 since he came over, and playing his usual solid defense....i didnt really like the move when it was made, but with Soriano out, it has helped...

he has cranked 2 HR's today, and never thought i would see that again from Edmonds(2 in one game ).....and neither was a cheap shot

When Edmonds is on one of his streaks, he looks like Stan Musial out there hitting the ball all over the yard. Didn't think he had much left in the tank, but obviously I was wrong

Tuckman

Uh Poster

When Edmonds is on one of his streaks, he looks like Stan Musial out there hitting the ball all over the yard. Didn't think he had much left in the tank, but obviously I was wrong

u are justifying his 2 home runs today as having something left? those 2 blasts matched the rest of his power numbers for the previous 163 at bats or so :rolleyes:

5 star bomb

EOG Master

u are justifying his 2 home runs today as having something left? those 2 blasts matched the rest of his power numbers for the previous 163 at bats or so :rolleyes:

He is hitting .300 with the Cubs...... what dont you get about that?

2348ji23e

Washed up hitters don't hit 2 HR's in one game usually.

As a Cardinals fan, I've seen the guy go on one of these streaks plenty of times

munson15

I want winners...

He is hitting .300 with the Cubs...... what dont you get about that?

2348ji23e
I agree 5 star. I believe he needed a change of scenery. Tough for a veteran who's been on lots of winning teams to handle all the losing they were doing in San Diego. He can do a lot of damage and was just what the Cub lineup needed, IMO.

5 star bomb

EOG Master

Dont forget Edmonds also didnt even have a spring training as he was hurt.... so basically his spring training was his brief stint with the Padres. Right now he seems comfortable and with such a good offense around him their is no pressure on him to have to produce

5 star bomb

EOG Master

no bump for 10 days, has his 1 month average dropped below .300 yet? :rolleyes:

Edmonds has been a great pickup for the Cubs... Huge part of our success. Nice left handed bat with some pop and still plays above average defense. You couldnt have been more wrong on your thoughts of Edmonds

:rolleyes:

OMNIVOROUS FROG

EOG Master

Today he was Babe Ruth. Hits one first ab, comes up second time around with bases loaded, two outs. 2 HRs 5 RBI first two ab. Washed up bum.

OF...:cheers

TonyMar

EOG Dedicated

edmonds has no class.

he is almost 40 years old, and acts like that towards tlr, immature for sure.

'tony who'?

my advice to edmonds...shut the fuck up, because your '15' restaurant is going to suffer because of this horseshit.

otherwise, carry on asswipe.

5 star bomb

EOG Master

edmonds has no class.

he is almost 40 years old, and acts like that towards tlr, immature for sure.

'tony who'?

my advice to edmonds...shut the fuck up, because your '15' restaurant is going to suffer because of this horseshit.

otherwise, carry on asswipe.

all he did was flip his bat, big deal

TonyMar

EOG Dedicated

he gawked.

then threw his lumber towards the dugout, at tlr.

brought a whole shitload of bad karma to the cubs, because of his little 'cock-fight' with the genius. again, this guy is almost 40 years old. again, he has no maturity level.

hollywood is one of the dumbest players in mlb. probably could prove it with a social poll, or an iq test.

nice catch there by F15TEEN

TonyMar

EOG Dedicated

the goose should kick hollywood's ass. just for shits and giggles.

sing it big boy!

TonyMar

EOG Dedicated

no flip there, because he did not know if that was gone.

tie game.

if you would have asked carlos zambrano if F15TEEN would ever get a curtain call at wrigley, he would have told you to kill yourself.

never thought i would ever see that.