Are you better than your father?

Re: Are you better than your father?

I would like to think so as well...

My Father WAS an alcoholic who abused my Mother and my Sister badly..

THE SHRINK

Blondie

EOG Master

I would like to think that I doing better with my children, than my mother did with me. Then again, I would like to think that my children will do better with their kids, than i am doing with them. To me, that would mean I have instilled some good qualities in them.

IGAMBLER

EOG Addicted

It's a father's goal to make sure that his offspring is BETTER than he is.

raycabino

Long Live Wilson!

I have no kids yet, but hard to imagine I could do better than my mom and pops.

my dad is a good guy...he has his problems, but i love him dearly. he is one funny fvcker for sure and he taught me how to fish....

he beats me regularly on the water.....

and THE SHRINK has taught me alot about how to succeed as well.

I'M LUCKY TO HAVE THEM BOTH!!:dancefool

NickPappagiorgio

EOG Dedicated

Its not even close. My father is an incredible person and I dont know if I could ever be nearly as good as him, forget about better.

TomBrady#1

EOG Dedicated

THE SHRINK

Sorry to hear that. Not much can pain me upon reading but that can. Glad you overcome and hope Mom and sis did too.

roseman

EOG Dedicated

That will be tough. My old man is a great man. Smart, generous, family oriented, and takes care of his own like no one I know. I can only hope to emulate as I build my family.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!

Its not even close. My father is an incredible person and I dont know if I could ever be nearly as good as him, forget about better.

me, too

mom and dad have been married since 1962 and still get along great. they just got back from 3-ish weeks "Down Under." the way Dad treated us all (Mom and Siblings) is great and he is one of the nicest guys out there. when he turned 70 in March 2006 we had a HUGE party for him and a lot of people showed up - including former neighbors - some living an hour or more away

GREAT guy - and still a "goofball" - at times he acts more like "7" or "2" than "72"

:smokesmal I COULD NEVER BE HALF THE MAN MY FATHER WAS/MY MOTHER AS WELL/ THEY DEDICATED THEIR ENTIRE LIFE FOR THE BETTERMENT OF THEIR CHILDREN-THANKS DAD-SUFFERED AND DIED FROM PICKS-TERRIBLE DEATH-

one

EOG Addicted

not by a long shot. i am doing alright but my dad is a stud.

Better is such a vague term.

I'm certainly more stable and kinder than he was. He almost kept my mother as a hostage.

It's ok guys, don't hold back. We are here for you. If you were sexually abused or tortured in any way we want to hear it. It might help to get it out in the open so we can discuss. Your secrets are safe with this forum and our upstanding members.

-WLY-

unluckysob

EOG Dedicated

my dad was just a drunk. im a drunk, degenrate gambler, and sex deviate-but i never married-hurt nobody but myself.

janus

EOG Dedicated

must be nice to have a respected figure available for inquiries for those building a business or going it from scatch. i dont have that. the upside is i've had learn to to rely on my own judgment, and if its crap, i'm crap.

mattg71

EOG Member

Yes in many ways, but he passed away rather young (63) 6 months ago so it's hard to think of the bad times and some of the less than pleasant qualities now.

Seymour

EOG Dedicated

Same here - I never had to do shit until I finished law school - my dad paid for everything for me while I constantly screwed around - meanwhile, my dad went to Yale and Harvard Med while his parents never went to college - and he has won every major award there is to win his field of medicine - at 65 years old he still works cricles around me - he got alot of pussy when he was married to my mother but I personally view that as his own life - it made him a horrible husband but he was a good father to my sister and I and still is - but like you said - it's not even close.

Almost Allright

GO Bucks!!!

Don't know if i am or not but he always hoped I would be and made sure I had the reassurance to be.

I see some dads who don't want junior to outshine or worse yet live through the kids life.....not good.

janus

EOG Dedicated

Same here - I never had to do shit until I finished law school - my dad paid for everything for me while I constantly screwed around - meanwhile, my dad went to Yale and Harvard Med while his parents never went to college - and he has won every major award there is to win his field of medicine - at 65 years old he still works cricles around me - he got alot of pussy when he was married to my mother but I personally view that as his own life - it made him a horrible husband but he was a good father to my sister and I and still is - but like you said - it's not even close.

due respect --- that's pathetic.

The Devil

EOG Master

MY DAD WAS ABOUT AS GOOD AS THEY COME............

PROBABLY DIDN'T HAVE AN ENEMY IN THE WORLD........IF YOU NEEDED ANYTHING AND HE COULD HELP, YOU GOT THE HELP............

I WOULDN'T HAVE TRADED THE YEARS I HAD WITH HIM FOR ANYTHING.............

ArchieBunker

EOG Dedicated

I count myself as one of the luckiest people ever born due to the parents I have. They're both still with me and bring constant joy into my life. If I touch just half the people like my parents have I'll be a success as a person.

janus

EOG Dedicated

I count myself as one of the luckiest people ever born due to the parents I have. They're both still with me and bring constant joy into my life. If I touch just half the people like my parents have I'll be a success as a person.
i havent the slightest idea what that feels like.

batman

EOG Enthusiast

THE SHRINK
iam proud to say,that my father was the opposite of yours.i feel like a asshole in front of my dad,so i would say that he is better than me.iam sorry that you were brought up in that mess.you seem like a honest,and fair man most of the time,so i think you are better than your father.:cheers

batman

EOG Enthusiast

MY DAD WAS ABOUT AS GOOD AS THEY COME............

PROBABLY DIDN'T HAVE AN ENEMY IN THE WORLD........IF YOU NEEDED ANYTHING AND HE COULD HELP, YOU GOT THE HELP............

I WOULDN'T HAVE TRADED THE YEARS I HAD WITH HIM FOR ANYTHING.............
my dad is the same way.he would give you the shirt off his back.we went to burgerking,and there was a lady that needed a ride home,and my dad went 20 miles out of the way.he didnt take any money for it,he just did it because he wanted to.he pays for people's meals,but he makes sure that it goes towards something to eat,instead of drugs.

this thread struck a chord

my brother said it best at my father's funeral 4 years ago, if he is one tenth of the man my father was, he will have lived a very good life

my father was the best man I have ever known and will ever know

I am sorry about your father's passing. I am pretty sure you and your brother are young so that must have been tough for you both. Sometimes death can bring people closer and give them new perspectives on life.

best wishes
-WLY-

I could only aspire to be the man my father is.

I am better than my father in some ways, but those ways are not so important.

He is vastly a better man than me in all of the ways that one might consider important in life. I think to my self a lot of times, "If I was just more like my dad".

This is a hard topic for me to tackle because I believe he has lymphoma. He's not been diagnosed but he sees an oncologist on Monday and my mother and I both believe for certain he has it. He has all the symptoms.

Physically, I'm a near clone of my dad, and I see it more and more every day, not just in my looks, but all aspects.