Is Betting a lot on Big Brown to Show Sharp or Square?

Re: Is Betting a lot on Big Brown to Show Sharp or Square?

Getting 5% return on virtually a sure thing is not retarded IMHO....

Remember, the horse doesn't have to WIN and all it has to do is come in top 3 in a terrible field...

Tuckman

Uh Poster

Getting 5% on your money on virtually a sure thing is not retarded IMHO....

a sure thing in horse racing? :cheers

dont get me wrong, do i believe he will run away with this race, of course, but to wager say 1000 bucks to show to bring back around 50 bucks is borderline insanity... if u have enough to bet the 1000 bucks, why worry about risking so much to win so little, it would be insignificant to your bankroll with the amount wagered to gain it...

Actually sharp if you expect there to be a minus show pool, which there should be. That being said, I'll pass. Never subscribed to the bridge jumping theory.

I said "VIRTUALLY" a sure thing...

Will u book my show bet then? :+clueless

I agree with what Willy just stated, but I may place a large show bet on Big Brown...

Barring a freak, how in the world does this horse not SHOW?

Tuckman

Uh Poster

I said "VIRTUALLY" a sure thing...

Will u book my show bet then? :+clueless

I agree with what Willy just stated, but I may place a large show bet on Big Brown...

Barring a freak, how in the world does this horse not SHOW?

ut oh, his odds are going up hes only 1/5 now! its almost up to 5.2%

i'm not dumb enough to book it, let alone finacially stable to back your 100k bet to show :rolleyes:

but if u do bet it, gl!

Tuckman,

You just dont know how close I am to pulling that trigger, lol...

Tuckman

Uh Poster

Tuckman,

You just dont know how close I am to pulling that trigger, lol...

and i dont wanna be around to see u pull the other trigger if something freakish happens :cheers

Tuckman

Uh Poster

Riley TUCKER is gonna win the preakness! :+signs15-

Makers

EOG Enthusiast

At the assumed odds it's much sharper better than a win bet!!!

:smokesmaldont do it-for5%-jocky could fall off/but 5% for 2min is good return,but not fdic insured-

royalfan

EOG Dedicated

problem is it appears he is so dominant that he will win or miss the board due to injury most likely.

Tuckman

Uh Poster

peta shoots him with a tranquilizer gun around the first turn to prevent any ankle breaking later on in the race

royalfan

EOG Dedicated

actually did a tri box with 6 horses with bb missing the board just in case something happens. Will pay insanely big if something crazy happens.

The Devil

EOG Master

IF YOU CAN AFFORD TO LOSE 200K TO WIN 10K.............IT'S NOT A BAD BET...................

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

There are better show bets out there. You don't get any extra money for having to beat 12 rivals in a grade 1 race. This horse pays 2.10 if he beats 3 rivals or 13.

Big Brown has soundness issues. Bad feet. He's never raced at Pimlico. If his feet sting him, he can be off the board. He's coming off two incredibly fast (on the sheets) numbers and is supposed to 'bounce' today.

He can bounce and still win, which is what many are thinking will happen.

Personally, on a big show bet situation, i'd wait for a coupled entry of 2 horses where they are the two best in the race and its a 5 horse field. You find that situation on occasion.

Tuckman

Uh Poster

IF YOU CAN AFFORD TO LOSE 200K TO WIN 10K.............IT'S NOT A BAD BET...................

thats my point, is the risk and reward worth it for someone who would not sweat the 200k, whats winning 10k gonna do for them? wipe thier ass for another month?

Keneke

EOG Enthusiast

Big Brown has not had much work in the last two weeks due to bad weather. Three gallops as of last Thursday.
Also running on just two weeks rest.

Today is only his fifth career start. Big Brown had to take 5 months off in the fall because of cracks in his hooves.<o></o>

The shortest amount of time he's had between races before today was 24 days. He made his 2008 debut -- and second career start -- in an allowance race March 5<sup>th</sup>, then won the Florida Derby on March 29.

Preakness favorites have won four of the last seven races. So a show ticket a good bet is if he finishes second or third, as it should return much more than 5%.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

thats my point, is the risk and reward worth it for someone who would not sweat the 200k, whats winning 10k gonna do for them? wipe thier ass for another month?

The idea to betting 200k to show to make 10k is that you only do it once. Its a free 10k if you do it once and then never do it again. The problem is that most people can't play that way. Anyone who bets 200k to show and wins, is likely to start searching for the next 'sure thing' and will keep betting that 200k until they lose, which they eventually will.

You can only profit on show bets if you only make one bet in your life and it wins and you stop right then and there and take your profit and run.

But, who has the discipline to do that?

Anyone who's betting a lot to win a little is the type of person who's looking for 'free money' and if you truly believe that free money exists out there, than you probably have the personality type who won't be able to take one profit and run.

I would say betting him to show is more sharp than betting him to win or place given the payouts. But I still feel it's not worth it. You still have to be a real bridge-jumping chalk-banger to do it.

Dewey Finn

EOG Enthusiast

Getting 5% return on virtually a sure thing is not retarded IMHO....

Remember, the horse doesn't have to WIN and all it has to do is come in top 3 in a terrible field...

A 5% return in two minutes is pretty sharp. I think this is a sharp play. Unless a Barbaro thing happens you should be good.

Keneke

EOG Enthusiast

Big Brown has not had much work in the last two weeks due to bad weather. Three gallops as of last Thursday.
Also running on just two weeks rest.

Today is only his fifth career start. Big Brown had to take 5 months off in the fall because of cracks in his hooves.<o></o>

The shortest amount of time he's had between races before today was 24 days. He made his 2008 debut -- and second career start -- in an allowance race March 5<sup>th</sup>, then won the Florida Derby on March 29.

Preakness favorites have won four of the last seven races. So a show ticket is a good bet is if he finishes second or third, as it should return much more than 5%.

I believe this horse can run blindfolded and still SHOW...

We will soon find out...

I placed a rather large bet to SHOW, but I'd rather not say the exact amount until after the race as I am a tad supersticious...:doh1

I am a big boy who will face the consequences if wrong but for the life of me, I can't imagine 1 horse beating it, much less 3 other horses beating it!

THE SHRINK

Tuckman

Uh Poster

I believe this horse can run blindfolded and still SHOW...

We will soon find out...

I placed a rather large bet to SHOW, but I'd rather not say the exact amount until after the race as I am a tad supersticious...:doh1

I am a big boy who will face the consequences if wrong but for the life of me, I can't imagine 1 horse beating it, much less 3 other horses beating it!

THE SHRINK

gl, i was rooting against Big Brown orginally but for your sake i hope he wins :cheers

gl, i was rooting against Big Brown orginally but for your sake i hope he wins :cheers

I don't give a rats ass if he wins but thank you...

3rd place will do just fine except perhaps adding a few more gray hairs to my head...:LMAO

Tuckman

Uh Poster

I don't give a rats ass if he wins but thank you...

3rd place will do just fine except perhaps adding a few more gray hairs to my head...:LMAO

i would root for the win over a photo for 3rd if i was you :+excited-

trytrytry

All I do is trytrytry

sharp money is to place...place will pay what the win ticket pays today in most combos an dyou get a little room for error. plus do at a rebate shop that gives a rebate at $2.40 or higher...that is the sharp angle...

$2.40 $2.40 $2.10 is a possible payout today..

nedrow

EOG Dedicated

<TABLE class=Box_22835497_Tb cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="98%" border=0><TBODY><TR align=left><TD class=Box_22835497_Td width="100%">Posted: Saturday, 17 May 2008 7:16AM

Preakness: Big Brown Continues Triple Crown Run

</TD></TR><TR align=left><TD class=Box_22835497_Td width="100%">BALTIMORE (1010 WINS) -- Rick Dutrow Jr. is nearly as confident that undefeated Big Brown will win the Preakness on Saturday as he was before the colt's dominating win in the Kentucky Derby.

Nothing changed the trainer's mind after watching the muscular horse out on the track for a short run through the stretch in the pre-dawn hours Saturday to keep him fit and on edge for his race later in the day.

``I saw exactly what I saw and it was beautiful,'' Dutrow said.

Big Brown hit the track at 5:33 a.m. EDT and was off only 11 minutes later. Dutrow and exercise rider Walter Blum were among the handful of people watching one final short jaunt through the stretch before Big Brown does it again in front of at least 100,000 fans in the early evening.

``I did what we wanted to do and so did he,'' Dutrow said.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

raycabino

Long Live Wilson!

sharp money is to place...place will pay what the win ticket pays today in most combos an dyou get a little room for error. plus do at a rebate shop that gives a rebate at $2.40 or higher...that is the sharp angle...

$2.40 $2.40 $2.10 is a possible payout today..
Isn't $2.40 $2.10 $2.10 just as likely?I don't know much about horse payouts but just asking.