Greatest individual pitching season in our lifetime ... Gibson in 68

Doc Mercer

EOG Master
Then followed his epic 1968 season: a 1.12 ERA, the lowest ever for anyone pitching as many as 300 innings. In fact, he flirted with a sub-one ERA, entering August with a 0.96 mark, and still standing at 0.99 after Labor Day.

One of the reasons Gibson's season doesn't receive the recognition it deserves is his relatively modest 22-9 won-lost record. How does someone lose nine games with a 1.12 ERA? It was mostly a case of poor offensive and defensive support:

April 20: 5-1 vs. Chicago (CG, 3 ER). Hall of Famer Fergie Jenkins three-hit the Cardinals, not allowing a run until two were out in the ninth inning.
May 12: 3-2 vs. Houston (8 IP, 2 ER).
May 17: 1-0 vs. Philadelphia (CG, 1 ER). The game's only run scored with two out in the tenth inning.
May 22: 2-0 vs. Los Angeles (8 IP, 1 H, 1 ER). Hall of Famer Don Drysdale pitched his third of a record six straight shutouts.

May 28: 3-1 vs. San Francisco (CG, 3 ER).
August 24: 6-4 vs. Pittsburgh (CG, 3 ER). Unearned runs ended his 15-game winning streak.
September 6: 3-2 vs. San Francisco (8 IP, 2 ER).
September 17: 1-0 vs. San Francisco (CG, 1 ER). Ron Hunt hit one of his two homers of the year, and Hall of Famer Gaylord Perry no-hit the Cards.
September 22: 3-2 vs. Los Angeles (CG, 2 ER).

In those games, Gibson went 0-9 despite a 2.14 ERA. Had the Cardinals scored but four runs in each of Gibson's 34 starts, he would have gone 30-2. Yes, 1968 was a historically low-scoring season, with only 3.43 runs per team per game in the NL. OK, if the Cards had scored 3.43 runs in each game Gibson pitched, he STILL would have gone 30-4. If they had scored merely three runs in each game, Gibby would have been 24-4. Even if St. Louis had scored only two runs in each game, he would have gone 23-10. And -- ready for this? -- if they had scored just ONE RUN in each game he pitched, Gibson would still have had a winning record, at 13-10. There is also the perception that EVERY hurler dominated in The Year of the Pitcher. But Gibson's ERA was 63% better than the rest of the National League's 3.03 mark, and 44% better than that of the runner-up in the ERA race.

Gibson pitched 13 shutouts in '68, and easily could have challenged Grover Alexander's record of 16. Besides the May 17 heartbreaker, Gibson twice pitched a complete game victory in which the only run he allowed was unearned. In all, he had 11 games in which he allowed just one run, several of them flukish. Five times during the season, he had a streak of 20+ scoreless innings. Remarkably, Gibson had a 1.83 ERA (but only a 9-9 record) in games he did NOT pitch a shutout.

From June 2 through July 30, 1968, Bob Gibson put on the greatest two-month display of pitching in baseball history. In a stretch of 99 innings, he gave up just TWO RUNS. One scored on a wild pitch ("a catchable ball," according to opposing first baseman Wes Parker), and the other on a bloop double which was fair by inches. Those were the only things standing between Gibby and ten straight shutouts.

It started with a complete-game, 6-3 victory on June 2, in which Gibson whitewashed the Mets in the last two frames. He then ran off five shutouts in a row, beating the Astros (June 6), Braves (June 11), Reds (June 15), Cubs (June 20), and Pirates (June 26). Over the 45 innings, he surrendered just 21 hits and five walks. He was threatening the records of six straight shutouts and 58 consecutive scoreless innings set by the Dodgers' Don Drysdale just a month earlier. And his next start would be on July 1 ?- against Drysdale!

The drama ended early, when a low fastball eluded back-up catcher Johnny Edwards in the first inning, allowing a Dodger run to score. Undaunted, Gibby blanked L.A. the rest of the way to win, 5-1, then shut out the Giants five days later. On July 12, Gibson gave up just three hits in a win over Houston, but one was Denis Menke's seventh-inning blooper that landed just inside the left field foul line and plated a run.

On July 17, the Giants paid Gibson the supreme compliment, scratching scheduled starter Juan Marichal so as not to waste their ace against an invincible opponent. It paid off: Gibson had a 6-0 lead after four innings, but the game was rained out, just short of official status, and Marichal won the next day.

Gibby followed with shutouts over the Mets (July 21) and Phillies (July 25) before allowing a fourth-inning run against New York on July 30. He won that game and added three more victories in August to complete a 15-game winning streak, including ten shutouts and a 0.68 ERA.

Gibson was never knocked out of the box during the season, completing 28 of 34 starts and being pinch-hit for late in the other six, as he averaged 8.96 innings per start. Gibson's worst ERA in any month was 1.97 in April. His worst against any team was 2.11 vs. Los Angeles. Help from his home park, Busch Stadium? Gibson's road ERA that year was 0.79.

Gibson continued his dominance into Game Seven of the 1968 World Series against Detroit. In his first 24-2/3 innings of the Fall Classic, he struck out 34 batters, and allowed just 11 hits, three walks, and one run for a 0.36 ERA. Suddenly, he ran out of magic, coughing up four runs on seven hits in the last 2-1/3 innings of the finale.
Fittingly, the Cardinals didn't score until there were two out in the ninth inning, and lost, 4-1.
And so ended a pitching season for the ages.

Bill Deane has authored hundreds of baseball articles and six books, including Award Voting, winner of the 1989 SABR-Macmillan Award. He served as Senior Research Associate for the National Baseball Library & Archive from 1986-94. He has since done consulting work for Topps Baseball Cards, Curtis Management Group, STATS, Inc., and Macmillan Publishing, and also served as Managing Editor of the most recent Total Baseball.

SSI

EOG Dedicated
Re: Greatest individual pitching season in our lifetime ... Gibson in 68

great season no doubt, pitching was very dominant in this era.... ultimately leading to the lowering of the mound.

Doc Mercer

EOG Master

Yaz wins the AL batting title that year: .301 /// ONLY player to hit better than .290

roach23

Banned

Steve Carlton in 72. His team won 57 games that year, Carlton had 27 wins.

Doc Mercer

EOG Master

I will take Gibbys

1.12 will never be touched in our lifetime

1971 Fergie Jenkins:

325 IP
24 W
13 L (lost 5 1-0 games, could be 29-8)
263 K's
37 BB
2.77 ERA
1.04 WHIP

Also hit 6 HR's 20 RBI's

THE HITMAN

EOG Dedicated

No mention of Koufax here ?? Not to say he had the greatest season, but if you mention Jenkins...................

vikingboy13

EOG Senior Member

Don't forget Wilbur Wood. Just kidding, but as a kid,it was a great time.

The Devil

EOG Master

Steve Carlton in 72. His team won 57 games that year, Carlton had 27 wins.

ERA WISE IT WAS GIBSON.......BUT I AGREE WITH ROACH........CARLTON'S YEAR CAN COMPARE WITH ANYONES BEST YEAR.............

roach23

Banned

In 72 Carlton led the league in:

Wins (27)
Complete games (30)
K's (310)
ERA (1.97)
K/BB (3.96)

Doc Mercer

EOG Master

Gibson's 1.12 will never fall ....

The Cards got what for Carlton? was it Rick Wise?

YEAR OF THE PITCHER

In 1968, Denny McLain won 31 games for Detroit. Luis Tiant led the AL with a 1.60 ERA, the lowest in his league in 50 years.

Los Angeles' Don Drysdale pitched 58 2/3 consecutive scoreless innings, a span that included a duel against Gibson in which the Cards righthander allowed one hit and Drysdale threw a shutout. The Cardinals weren't the only ones not scoring.

Pitchers ruled the season. And Gibson reigned.

A DIFFERENT CLIMATE

When Gibson and the others reported for spring training in 1969, they found they weren't looking down on the hitters quite as much — literally and figuratively. The mound was lower, the strike zone was tighter and there was stricter enforcement of illegal pitches. Hitters took over. Gibson felt he pitched better in '69, though his ERA was a run higher.

"I don't doubt that someday somebody will break that 1.12," Gibson said this spring. "But 300 innings and 1.12 — I don't think anybody is going to get the 300 innings. They've changed the game so much to keep you from pitching well."

They didn't change the game.

Gibson did.

Journeyman

EOG Master

1971 Fergie Jenkins:

325 IP
24 W
13 L (lost 5 1-0 games, could be 29-8)
263 K's
37 BB
2.77 ERA
1.04 WHIP

Also hit 6 HR's 20 RBI's

Knowing all the big seasons very well, this one seems to go most unnoticed.

And look at his K-BB ratio!

raycabino

Long Live Wilson!

I think Doc Gooden had the best season since I have been following baseball.

Journeyman

EOG Master

And another pitcher like Wilbur Wood who had a rather phenomenal second half of his career Mike Cuellar .

Cuellar never started regularly until age 29, he won 143 games AFTER age 32...winning 125 games over 6 seasons, averaging 21 wins per season...

He sat in the minors for 5 seasons after pitching 4 innings at age 22, 5 years in the minors before getting the call back to the big leagues at age 27, becomes a regualr starter at age 29, and this was in the 60's when age 29 was more like 33 for a pitcher.

172 complete games after age 29
36 shutouts after age 29

Doc Mercer

EOG Master

Koufax had that one year that was unbelievable ....

Not sure ... maybe 65?

Koufax had that one year that was unbelievable ....

Not sure ... maybe 65?

1965+66 were almost equally awesome. Started 41 in each season and completed 27. In his last four seasons, he averaged a WHIP of .900. From '62-66, Koukax was 111-34. Perhaps the best 5-year stretch of all time. Never realized he retired at 30.

Journeyman - another late career-starter was Dennis Martinez.

Doc Mercer

EOG Master

WHIP of .900

I wonder what the lines must have been when he started

Let me guess: Dodgers -1.5 / .550

Bucsfan67

EOG Master

sutcliffe's season in '84 was pretty impressive as well, when he went 16-1, after coming over to the cubs....not the greastest season there ever was, but pretty impressive.....

Doc Mercer

EOG Master

Martinez had a pretty good season in 99: won the Pitching triple crown/ERA almost 3.00 under league avg and 313 strikeouts that were 113 more than the runnerup

Doc Mercer

EOG Master

Bucs:

I remember them burning Cubs flags on Rush street .... what a disaster out
in SD ... hellva team with Durham, Sandberg, Matthews, the Penguin I think was at 3rd base and was Bowa at short?

Forgot who were the 2 other outfielders .... Moreland I think was one and
I can see the other one but forget his last name .... Bobby _________

Wasnt big Lee Smith their closer ... I think Garvey jacked one off him late in
game 4 if I recall and I remember Durham late in game 5 letting that ball
get under his glove

That was fun ... WGN had most of the day games and ol Harry and I think
Steve Stone were the announcers

Long time ago

Stephen

EOG Addicted

Gibson, Carlton and Guidry had all-time great single seasons. Gibson and Carlton are definite Hall of Famers.

Gibson may be the second-greatest pitcher of the last 45 years, but Sandy Koufax is No. 1.

Anybody who followed baseball since the 60s should agree.

There was the definite threat of a no-hitter every time Koufax took the mound during his five-year span of greatness. The only other pitcher you could say that about was Nolan Ryan, and there was an equal chance that he would get shelled.

Koufax didn't win more games because the Dodger teams he played for were one of the worst-scoring teams of the era. You'd hear that Koufax allowed only one run - and you'd still have to seriously ask if the Dodgers won the game.

Gibson, Carlton and Guidry had all-time great single seasons. Gibson and Carlton are definite Hall of Famers.

Gibson may be the second-greatest pitcher of the last 45 years, but Sandy Koufax is No. 1.

Anybody who followed baseball since the 60s should agree.

There was the definite threat of a no-hitter every time Koufax took the mound during his five-year span of greatness. The only other pitcher you could say that about was Nolan Ryan, and there was an equal chance that he would get shelled.

Koufax didn't win more games because the Dodger teams he played for were one of the worst-scoring teams of the era. You'd hear that Koufax allowed only one run - and you'd still have to seriously ask if the Dodgers won the game.

Spot on! I was around then...

The Dodgers lost many 1-0 games back then and they had a great relief Pitcher....

Do you remember who Stephen?

Hint: R.P

And he was really good!!!

Doc Mercer

EOG Master

65 he did not hit ONE batter ....

I think over 300 innings if I remember and I think he is the only pitcher to
have back to back seasons with at least plus 16 w/l record

Doc Mercer

EOG Master

Didnt that perfect game he threw have a TOTAL of one hit in the entire
game?

Journeyman

EOG Master

Randy Johnson for ten freaking years!

I don't think ANYONE was more dominant than he was for that time period.

Stephen

EOG Addicted

Good trivia question Shrink. Was it Phil Regan (the vulture)?

Koufax, Drysdale and Claude Osteen didn't need a whole lot of relief help.

As long as we are offering opinions.

Greg Maddux in 1994

16 - 6
10 CG
202 IP
156 K
1.56 ERA
0.896 WHiP

He then followed that in 95 with

19 - 2
10 CG