What's the worst odds that you can go off at in horse racing?

I don't know squat about the horses. What are the worst odds that you can get to win? BigBrown should be there.

I know it's parimutuel but is there a floor where the track can actually stand to lose?

sl55

EOG Veteran
Re: What's the worst odds that you can go off at in horse racing?

I don't know squat about the horses. What are the worst odds that you can get to win? BigBrown should be there.

I know it's parimutuel but is there a floor where the track can actually stand to lose?
1-9,tracks never lose

1-9 is the lowest odds the tote can read at a race track yet a winning horse can pay at little as $2.10 which I believe is 1-20.

Tracks can lose in some cases - when the pool is a minus one. If a payout is 2.10, chances are they lose something out of it. When you take all the money in the pool, and then figure in the track takeout, there is sometimes not enough bet on the losing wagers to pay the winning wagers. The track has to eat the rest and pay at least 2.10.

They make out good in the long run though. 17-25% takeout of pools and rounding down for breakage. Just some cases come along when they have to eat some of the difference when a highly bet on favorite comes in.

OMNIVOROUS FROG

EOG Master

There are minus pools. Especially show betting a heavy odds on, the bridge jumpers...The worst odd payback is +2.10 for 2.00. The track may get -1.01. Bear in mind all pools are seperate. Chances of minus pool best rearing it's ugly head is small field by one super standout. You can subscribe to sites and monitor pools and payouts. Many sites reduce or no rebate on show bets, limits.
OF...:bank:

'Worst odds' and 'lowest odds' are two different things.

Apple

Banned

Bet Big Brown to place in the Belmont.. :)

Betting this horse at those odds is huge risk here. I am sure the bridge jumpers will be out and chances are they will come out ok, but think about it. The horse is onto race number 6 of his life and of course has never run anything like this race. Meanwhile rested horses with more experience and breeding for distance will be taking him on. He probably will win, but the true odds have to be less than what people will be willing to back him on.

Be especially careful on the show pool here. If he clearly can't win the race the jockey could very well hold him up and coast him to the finish a bit. With the endless stretch at Belmont it would be easy to get passed by a couple of horses should he run out of gas. It isn't like most races where he is in the running and then might get beat. He just might not like the distance and then Desormeaux might hold him up knowing what sort of stud fees he will command. It is all or nothing in this race and he may well end up being nothing.

Apple

Banned

Smarty Jones paid $3.30 to place in the Belmont in 04.. Was going to pay $2.40 to win.. Anyone who wagered on Smarty Jones to win basically shot themselves in the foot..

Apple

Banned

IDK exactly but yeah probably $2.10 possibly $2.20.. We'll know for sure 30 minutes to an hour before the race. I didn't know Smarty Jones was going to pay more to win then to place until 15 minutes before the race cause I wasn't really paying attention..

I'll be paying attention this year.. You going to the track or betting online raiders?

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

BB might pay 2.20 to show. the reason he might pay over 2.10 is because there is SO much money on the other horses to show. At the Preakness, almost every other horse had over 200k to show.....there's a lot of money togive back, its going to take a MASSIVE bet to make him pay 2.10.

Apple

Banned

Be around here bud I'll check Xpressbet and they give up to cent payouts and I'll post what it says..

If he clearly can't win the race the jockey could very well hold him up and coast him to the finish a bit. With the endless stretch at Belmont it would be easy to get passed by a couple of horses should he run out of gas. It isn't like most races where he is in the running and then might get beat. He just might not like the distance and then Desormeaux might hold him up knowing what sort of stud fees he will command. It is all or nothing in this race and he may well end up being nothing.
WildBill-Interesting analysis.

pioneer

EOG Dedicated

Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">If he clearly can't win the race the jockey could very well hold him up and coast him to the finish a bit. With the endless stretch at Belmont it would be easy to get passed by a couple of horses should he run out of gas. It isn't like most races where he is in the running and then might get beat. He just might not like the distance and then Desormeaux might hold him up knowing what sort of stud fees he will command. It is all or nothing in this race and he may well end up being nothing. </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

WildBill-Interesting analysis.

Yes it is, and it would have been correct analysis also had the $50 million stud deal not already have been consummated with Three Chimneys. The stud deal will not be affected whether BB wins or finishes last.

Apple

Banned

I don't understand why they did the deal before the Belmont.. Wouldn't he be worth more after winning the triple crown?

Gyno, the deal is for $60 million! Hell I'd be tempted to tell the jockey to just trot him out there and let him do the mile and a half in oh say 9 minutes. All the glory of a Triple Crown winner can easily be replaced by gobs of money.

I just wonder how much the insurance costs. Can't be cheap.

Apple

Banned

Too bad it's going to be his last race.. :(

pioneer

EOG Dedicated

Gyno, the deal is for $60 million! Hell I'd be tempted to tell the jockey to just trot him out there and let him do the mile and a half in oh say 9 minutes. All the glory of a Triple Crown winner can easily be replaced by gobs of money.

I just wonder how much the insurance costs. Can't be cheap.

Not saying you're wrong, just wondering where you got the $60 million figure?

"Industry News | Posted 5/18/2008, 2:55 am
Big Brown to stand at Three Chimneys

By GLENYE CAIN OAKFORD
LEXINGTON, Ky. - Kentucky Derby and Preakness winner Big Brown will head for stud at Three Chimneys after his racing career, which owner International Equine Acquisitions Holdings has said will end with his 3-year-old season.
Three Chimneys, owned by Mr. and Mrs. Robert Clay, has purchased an undisclosed interest in the colt in a deal that bloodstock advisers and trade publication reports believe puts Big Brown's total value at about $50 million. Three Chimneys and International Equine did not disclose the price or other terms of the agreement, but Case Clay, president of Three Chimneys and son of Robert, said the deal was for breeding rights only.

They claim he will run all the way until the end of the year. The horse racing world is hoping and praying for a final showdown in the Breeders Cup Classic between Big Brown and Curlin.

Not saying you're wrong, just wondering where you got the $60 million figure?

Not that it makes a big difference, but some other article said with incentives thrown in it could be nearly $60 million. What happens though if he shows little interest in the fillies???

Apple

Banned

Yeah no one knows the exact figures yet..

Why would anybody "go off at" horseracing odds.

It's horseracing.

pioneer

EOG Dedicated

Not that it makes a big difference, but some other article said with incentives thrown in it could be nearly $60 million. What happens though if he shows little interest in the fillies???

I didn't say it made a big difference....and I didn't expect you to come back and say that you made up the $60 million figure...but saying "some other article" is tantamount to the same thing. You did say...

"Originally Posted by WildBill
Gyno, the deal is for $60 million!"

...that doesn't leave much room for doubt! But now you say "but some other article said with incentives thrown in it could be nearly $60 million". Allow me to translate for the newbees and the perennially naive...."I am Wild Bill the blowhard and although I don't know WTF I'm talking about, I like to post like I am some bigtime insider."

The Devil

EOG Master

THERE HAVE BEEN QUITE A FEW THAT DID THAT AND OTHERS THAT JUST COULD NOT PERFORM..................

BUT THOSE STUD FEEES THEY CHARGE OTHERS FOR A ONE NIGHTER WILL OFFSET THAT 50 MILLION IN A FEW YEARS.................