WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

You have a Friend who is in the hole and betting with a bookmaker who is also a Friend...

The Friend who is in the hole cannot afford to pay out what he has already lost...

You also know that he isn't going to stop betting before the week ends...

Do you tell your other Friend, The Bookmaker, or not?

Let's just say these Friends are equal comparitively speaking..

THE SHRINK

raycabino

Long Live Wilson!
Re: WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

I get them both together instantly if possible. If that fails, I let my friend the bettor know I am informing the bookmaker of the current situation.

munson15

I want winners...

You have a moral obligation to inform the bookie. Not only are you alerting him to the trouble ahead, but you are helping the bettor by limiting the damage he will do to the bookie and himself. Both friends will be indebted to you, although the bettor may not see it that way. The bonus is that it's the right thing to do. GL whatever you decide.

The book would know before you could type this question out. No way I am letting a friend get hosed if I can stop it.

Two possibilities..

1) Apprise the bookie of the potentially unfortunate situation

-or-

2) Refer the friend to the NBA Betting Forum for a lock.

jlawbaker

EOG Senior Member

This situation actually happened to me over 20 years ago.

Was friends with an up and coming local bookmaker, had another friend who had just got into betting basketball at the end of the NFL season.

Local bookmaker had a limit of $200 per play on basketball selections. You could bet the whole sheet, it was limited to $200 per play. He would give out the lines around 5pm and you had until the first game tip to call in your bets, usually about 1 to 11/2 hours.

Anyway, after about three weeks of this, my betting friend had collected some serious change from the bookmaker. Bookmaker calls me up during the fourth week and asks me how I feel about my betting friend and do I think he would be able to cough up some serious change. The Bookmaker tells me that my other friend is down over $15,000 and this is Friday night. Keep in mind, we still have Saturday and Sunday and Monday left in play. I told the Bookmaker to leave me out of it; but, if it was my call, he had better cut him off because I didn't think that he would be able to pay the current bill.

After the two of them have their discussion, the Bookmaker allows the other to continue on. At week's end, the betting genius was down over $27,000 and couldn't pay it all. Go figure.

Bottom line-I get caught in the middle of something that I had no play in. Wind up losing two friends over that mess.

Shrink, you know the ole saying just as well as anyone: You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink it.

Fordfield

EOG Addicted

You have a moral obligation to inform the bookie. Not only are you alerting him to the trouble ahead, but you are helping the bettor by limiting the damage he will do to the bookie and himself. Both friends will be indebted to you, although the bettor may not see it that way. The bonus is that it's the right thing to do. GL whatever you decide.

Good answer Munson......Also shrink you could hire the Stiff.... as a paid poster at EOG....:rolleyes:

IGAMBLER

EOG Addicted

Like others have said, I would mind my own damn business. Enough there to keep me plenty busy.

Thor4140

EOG Dedicated

The sad part is that if he somehow comes back this weekend, down the road he will be in this position again. I think i would tell the book (before this guy starts doubling) that if he lost a certain bet it would go over his limit of say (10000) If the guy said "i never knew i had a limit" the books should just say "yeah i thought i told you this in the beginning". All books should have limits to stay out of getting killed in one of these situations. Devil probably has the best answer for this situation.

raycabino

Long Live Wilson!

I would mind my business if this was 2 acquaintances but the fact that they are FRIENDS makes this a situation I would get involved in.

Dante

EOG Veteran

my 2 cents

I would try to talk the friend that is on Tilt and betting with money he can not pay to stop and not do it ...I would also suggest to that friend to get some help with his gambling problem...

If that did not work you could send Ray cabino out to have a chat with him something like this

"hey yous Cmere whats you bettin for with nos monies??... cmon get a grip gets over ere

I would not get involved except for trying to give the guy in the hole some winners to get him back on the plus side.

Thor4140

EOG Dedicated

I would not get involved except for trying to give the guy in the hole some winners to get him back on the plus side.
reload lets say Shrink did this and got the guy out of the hole. You think the guy will all the sudden quit? He will be right back in this position eventually.

pioneer

EOG Dedicated

Would Jesus mind his on business? Maybe he would but I didn't get that from my early year religion classes.

That's a good question, but not what the Shrink asked. I answered the Shrink's question, perhaps one of the other geniuses here will answer your question. I will correct your improper phraseology though...Would Jesus mind His own business? And don't fret, you didn't miss anything in your early year religion classes....I will guarantee there was no specific discussion about paying bookies. We can discern what Jesus would have done though from His words...."Render unto Caesar, the things that are Caesar's, and render unto God the things that are God's."....and "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."

That's a good question, but not what the Shrink asked. I answered the Shrink's question, perhaps one of the other geniuses here will answer your question. I will correct your improper phraseology though...Would Jesus mind His own business? And don't fret, you didn't miss anything in your early year religion classes....I will guarantee there was no specific discussion about paying bookies. We can discern what Jesus would have done though from His words...."Render unto Caesar, the things that are Caesar's, and render unto God the things that are God's."....and "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."

I think I would MMOB also.....

Angelsfire

EOG Dedicated

Confucius's says :D
Friends are in a business transaction together, and unless you're directly affected because it's your business too. I suggest that the friendship is separate and not to be mixed. They'll do what they want anyway.. Hard to watch..:+comfort+

raycabino

Long Live Wilson!

I guess my definition of friend is different from a lot here because i could not let something like this go on without trying to help out the situation (which would help all parties) if these were 2 friends of mine.

pioneer

EOG Dedicated

I guess my definition of friend is different from a lot here because i could not let something like this go on without trying to help out the situation (which would help all parties) if these were 2 friends of mine.

Then in your case, you're making it your business....we're basically saying the same thing. But like jlawbaker said, he lost both friends over something that was really not his business.

raycabino

Long Live Wilson!

Then in your case, you're making it your business....we're basically saying the same thing. But like jlawbaker said, he lost both friends over something that was really not his business.
What kind of friends are they to begin with if you lose them both over trying to help them both?

pioneer

EOG Dedicated

What kind of friends are they to begin with if you lose them both over trying to help them both?

Good point, ray...you'd have to ask jlaw what kind of friends they were. Although in the annals of human history, I'm sure good friends were lost by a helluva lot less than this! I'm just saying that I would go out of my way to make sure that it wasn't any of my business, if I could. Now there are some circumstances where one could not do that, for instance, if one had referred the soon to be stiff player to the soon to be stiffed bookie and vouched for his character...but Shrink did not state this in his query.

raycabino

Long Live Wilson!

Good point, ray...you'd have to ask jlaw what kind of friends they were. Although in the annals of human history, I'm sure good friends were lost by a helluva lot less than this! I'm just saying that I would go out of my way to make sure that it wasn't any of my business, if I could. Now there are some circumstances where one could not do that, for instance, if one had referred the soon to be stiff player to the soon to be stiffed bookie and vouched for his character...but Shrink did not state this in his query.
Right. I just keep thinking about how my bookmaker friend would feel if he knew that I knew the situation and just let him get free rolled without any warning. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't go whisper in the bookmakers ear that the bettor has a problem. I would go to the bettor 1st and try to get him to do the right thing 1st then if no success I would let him know that I would make the bookmaker aware of the situation.

jwunderdog

EOG Addicted

I would get your friend on a conference call with JMan,Madcapper and PatrickM. and ask them for who they would bet on if they were on TILT? Then tell your friend to fade them, should get him back to even.

pioneer

EOG Dedicated

Right. I just keep thinking about how my bookmaker friend would feel if he knew that I knew the situation and just let him get free rolled without any warning. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't go whisper in the bookmakers ear that the bettor has a problem. I would go to the bettor 1st and try to get him to do the right thing 1st then if no success I would let him know that I would make the bookmaker aware of the situation.

I still contend that we're saying the same thing, ray....MYOB. Like in jlawbaker's example in a previous post, the bookmaker friend called jlaw, thus making it his business. In your hypothetical, your BM friend knows that you know what the situation is with your player friend, and thus the BM friend would probably call you and ask for your input. I still contend that if your BM friend doesn't ask, don't tell. Now advising your player friend to do the right thing is always good advice, but will probably have the same result...ie. you will lose his friendship once all is said and done. But like you correctly pointed out, his friendship probably wasn't worth all that much anyway, especially if he's a stiff.

Bucky

EOG Dedicated

How did the friend get hooked up with the bookmaker? Shrink, did you bring him in and vouch for him? If you brought him in and vouched for him you needed to tell your friend that if he ever laid down it would come out of your arse. You've got a big can of worms in this case because you are involved. I think you have to stick your nose in it and help get it worked out in a 3-way meeting. Your friend is basically stiffing you as much as the bookie.

If it is different if you had nothing to do with how your friend met the bookmaker. So, then you learn your friend plays with the same bookie you do - you mention it to the bookie your friend plays with him as well. Kind of drug you into a possible problem down the road.

Cases like this are what settle figures are for. Bookie says once I learned he was your friend I trusted him a lot more. So, I feel you have to do something. I would personally tell the bookmaker to call the player and talk to him. He says to your friend - you are getting down pretty good - are you OK-don't want you to get in deeper than what you can afford.

By rights - the bookie should never have told you anything - none of your business - but if he did - so you should call and tell your friend that and tell the bookie you are going to do that. But, I guess your friend must have told you he was stuck bad and can't pay it. I guess you don't say exactly how you found out. But, if that's the case you have to tell him to not get in over his head - it isn't worth it-you can't help him with it.

This gets uglier if your friend has been following your plays some how that you have been giving him. I feel like we only have half of the story here. But, my answer is you have to do something. What would you do if your friend got drunk and told you he was going to rob a bank, take a 50 k flyer on a day trade with every dime to his name, run off with a circus performer the next day, etc., etc.

Last edited:

How did the friend get hooked up with the bookmaker? Shrink, did you bring him in and vouch for him? If you brought him in and vouched for him you needed to tell your friend that if he ever laid down it would come out of your arse. You've got a big can of worms in this case because you are involved. I think you have to stick your nose in it and help get it worked out in a 3-way meeting. Your friend is basically stiffing you as much as the bookie.

If it is different if you had nothing to do with how your friend met the bookmaker. So, then you learn your friend plays with the same bookie you do - you mention it to the bookie your friend plays with him as well. Kind of drug you into a possible problem down the road.

Cases like this are what settle figures are for. Bookie says once I learned he was your friend I trusted him a lot more. So, I feel you have to do something. I would personally tell the bookmaker to call the player and talk to him. He says to your friend - you are getting down pretty good - are you OK-don't want you to get in deeper than what you can afford.

By rights - the bookie should never have told you anything - none of your business - but if he did - so you should call and tell your friend that and tell the bookie you are going to do that. But, I guess your friend must have told you he was stuck bad and can't pay it. I guess you don't say exactly how you found out. But, if that's the case you have to tell him to not get in over his head - it isn't worth it-you can't help him with it.

This gets uglier if your friend has been following your plays some how that you have been giving him. I feel like we only have half of the story here. But, my answer is you have to do something. What would you do if your friend got drunk and told you he was going to rob a bank, take a 50 k flyer on a day trade with every dime to his name, run off with a circus performer the next day, etc., etc.

Very solid post. Most scenarios covered. Agree wholeheartedly.

Some of you are adding more to it than there is...

NO, I never said I vouched or brought the Friend to the bookmaker...

We just happen to play against the same bookie who is my Friend...

I often ask myself what a "smart" person would do when I have to make a difficult decision such as the one I described in post 1....

I wouldn't tell UNLESS I was asked...

But hey, that's just me...

THE SHRINK

Almost Allright

GO Bucks!!!

try to talk some sense to the friend to slow down. The bookie is in business to take bets. McDonald's ain't closing but maybe I can get my fat friend to exercise and eat right

Apple

Banned

Tell him to bet it all on the Lakers series and get it all back.. Intervene damn it.. C'mon Kenny.