Great football games you remember from your youth

For some reason I was a big Colorado Buffaloes fan when I was a kid (can't tell you why, I just liked 'em), and I remember watching the '94 Colorado/Michigan game and seeing Kordell throw that hail mary to win it.

Some of you blokes are rather old, but post your memories anyways.

Re: Great football games you remember from your youth

I was at Giants Stadium when the Jets and Dolphins had that 51-45 OT classic years ago. Was just a kid and won't ever forget it.

TomBrady#1

EOG Dedicated

I am older than you SOS. Iremember on Christmas day that we couldn't leave my aunts house until KC/Miami (think these were the teams as I was young) played that OT classic. I think Gary Yeprenium hit the winning FG. That was a classic. It was the playoffs of course.

77 Raiders/Colts was a great one with Stabler and Bert Jones dueling. I remember Casper was making some big catches. I could have some dates and facts wrong but Jman will correct me! Smile! Again a playoff game.

1985 Iron Bowl - Van Tiffen kicks the game winner from 52 yards as time expires.

Journeyman

EOG Master

I am older than you SOS. Iremember on Christmas day that we couldn't leave my aunts house until KC/Miami (think these were the teams as I was young) played that OT classic. I think Gary Yeprenium hit the winning FG. That was a classic. It was the playoffs of course.

77 Raiders/Colts was a great one with Stabler and Bert Jones dueling. I remember Casper was making some big catches. I could have some dates and facts wrong but Jman will correct me! Smile! Again a playoff game.

You are correct, the Colts/Raiders game was Christmas Eve 1977...the Colts had the lead late in regulation, only to run it three times and punt, Ted Marchiabroda was criticized for not trying to pass on 3rd down, the Raiders got the ball back and tied it, won it in OT, The Ghost to the Post, Stabler to Casper.

It seems to have been lost in history that Chiefs Dolphins longest game ever played to that point, sudden death on Christmas Day.

Two of the all time games right there. :cheers

TomBrady#1

EOG Dedicated

You are correct, the Colts/Raiders game was Christmas Eve 1977...the Colts had the lead late in regulation, only to run it three times and punt, Ted Marchiabroda was criticized for not trying to pass on 3rd down, the Raiders got the ball back and tied it, won it in OT, The Ghost to the Post, Stabler to Casper.

It seems to have been lost in history that Chiefs Dolphins longest game ever played to that point, sudden death on Christmas Day.

Two of the all time games right there. :cheers

They were classics. The Ghost to the Post. Stabler was the King of the two minute drive. Boy he lead a lot of combacks. I knew i could count on you to provide some insight to these games! Thanks.

Journeyman

EOG Master

Ugh,I had a long write up about the Colorado game and the site went down!

That game seemed like it was a few years ago.

One of the best was BC vs. Miami, the hail mary from Flute when the clock was at 0:00.

Journeyman

EOG Master

Steelers dominate Houston, Ice Bowl II AFC title game
Colts Raiders 1977 playoff game
SD Miami 'hook and lateral' Playoff game
Monday football Balto @ New England in a rain storm, Joe Washington scores every which way
Monday football Montana/Elway shootout, when Joe was with KC.
Houston Oilers/ Miami MNF, Earl Campbell game
Houston Buffalo, the comeback game
Md at Miami Hurricanes largest comeback in college history
BYU Indiana Holiday Bowl shootout

many many more.

Nov. 30, 1974
No. 6 USC 55, No. 5 Notre Dame 24
The Coliseum

"The Comeback."

USC trailed 24-0 late in the first half against the nation's top-ranked defense. But with 10 seconds remaining before halftime, Anthony Davis scored on a 7-yard pass from Pat Haden. The two-point conversion failed, and the Trojans trailed 24-6 at the half. Davis took the opening kick of the second half 102 yards to open the floodgates for USC, which scored 35 points in the third quarter. Davis scored twice on short runs and Haden threw TD passes of 18 and 45 yards to Johnny McKay. Less than two minutes into the fourth quarter, the Trojans scored twice more on a 16-yard pass from Haden to Shelton Diggs and a Charles Phillips' 58-yard interception return for a touchdown.

Journeyman

EOG Master

Oh man that was a great one there, Anthony Davis!

Davis had that unique endzone celebration, dancing on his knees

Journeyman

EOG Master

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/owwLrK7r9Mk&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/owwLrK7r9Mk&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Ace

EOG Veteran

Texas @ Arkansas 1969---an instant classic

munson15

I want winners...

The Ghost to the Post pass play from Stabler to Casper actually occurred during the Raiders' two-minute drive in regulation for the tying FG. Set them up in the red zone, Madden wouldn't go for a 4th and inches, Mann kicked the FG. Game went to double OT then Stabler hit Casper again from around the 10 on a pass to the left corner of the end zone to win it.

munson15

I want winners...

My favorite game from my youth was probably Super Bowl 5. I was a Colt fan as a kid and they had lost the Super Bowl everyone had given them to the Jets 2 years earlier. Anyway, a terribly played game ended with Jim O'brien's 32-yard FG and my Colts had won their first Super Bowl, 16-13.

jlawbaker

EOG Senior Member

73 Sugar Bowl

Eventhough I'm a HUGE Alabama fan, that was one heck of a game between Notre Dame and the Tide.

ND won 24-23. Tom Clements on third and forever and throwing out his endzone and hitting his receiver around the 30 yard line to allow ND to run out the clock. Missed extra point was the difference.

Other fav, was the 71 shootout between Oklahoma/Nebraska, and also throw in the first televised primetime game between Alabama/Mississippi back in 1969, which Alabama won 33-32.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!

Flutie's Hail Mary
Dolphins/Chargers AFC Playoff Game

roach23

Banned

Jets-Dolphins Monday night game in 2000. Jets were down big and Vinny brings them back in the 4th Q to win in OT. They had that trick play to the lineman to score the last TD in regulation to send it to OT.

Rams-Bucs Monday night game in 2000. Another really good game. Remember Warrick Dunn having a big game.

2000 was a good year for MNF

Bagiant

EOG Dedicated

The Greatest Game Ever Played. Colts vs. Giants in Yankee Stadium for the NFL Championship. Believe it or not, this game was blacked out in the greater New York metro area as that was the NFL rule at the time. Had to climb on the roof and turn my antenna around in order to pick up a Philadelphia station to view the game.

The thing I remember most is that they short marked a Frank Gifford carry when he obviously made a first down that probably would have given the Giants the victory in regulation time. Missing the first down didn't allow the Giants to get into FG range and the game went into OT! We all know what happened then.

<TABLE id=AutoNumber1 style="BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" borderColor=#111111 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=714 bgColor=#ffffff border=1><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle width=114>[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]</TD><TD align=middle width=470>The Greatest NFL Playoff Game Ever!
San Diego Chargers and the Miami Dolphins

</TD><TD align=middle width=109>[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Score:

The San Diego Chargers and Miami Dolphins faced off in what turned out to be one of the most exciting, emotional and exhausting games in pro football history in the AFC divisional playoffs. The game was played in Miami's Orange Bowl on January 2, 1982, and was finally decided by a 29-yard field goal by San Diego's Rolf Benirschke after 13:52 minutes of overtime.

The real drama, however, was created by the determination of the players of the two teams under the trying circumstances of the must-win game staged on a warm, humid evening in Miami. San Diego jumped off to a 24-0 lead but Miami rallied to even the score at 24-24 early in the third quarter. Each team added a touchdown in the third and fourth quarter to set the stage for the dramatic finish.
Each of the opposing field-goal kickers had earlier chances to win the game. Miami's field goal try by Uwe von Schamann was blocked as regulation time ran out. Benirschke missed one in overtime and von Schamann had another kick blocked before the San Diego kick won the game.
The Chargers' Hall of Fame tight end Kellen Winslow, exhausted by the extreme heat, had to be treated several times on the bench but he caught 13 passes for 166 yards and a touchdown. He also blocked von Schamann's kick as time ran out. Another San Diego star was Charlie Joiner, the Chargers' all-time leading receiver and 1996 enshrinee of the Pro Football Hall of Fame, who had seven receptions for 108 yards.

TomBrady#1

EOG Dedicated

<TABLE id=AutoNumber1 style="BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" borderColor=#111111 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=714 bgColor=#ffffff border=1><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle width=114>[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]</TD><TD align=middle width=470>The Greatest NFL Playoff Game Ever!
San Diego Chargers and the Miami Dolphins

</TD><TD align=middle width=109>[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Score:

The San Diego Chargers and Miami Dolphins faced off in what turned out to be one of the most exciting, emotional and exhausting games in pro football history in the AFC divisional playoffs. The game was played in Miami's Orange Bowl on January 2, 1982, and was finally decided by a 29-yard field goal by San Diego's Rolf Benirschke after 13:52 minutes of overtime.
The real drama, however, was created by the determination of the players of the two teams under the trying circumstances of the must-win game staged on a warm, humid evening in Miami. San Diego jumped off to a 24-0 lead but Miami rallied to even the score at 24-24 early in the third quarter. Each team added a touchdown in the third and fourth quarter to set the stage for the dramatic finish.
Each of the opposing field-goal kickers had earlier chances to win the game. Miami's field goal try by Uwe von Schamann was blocked as regulation time ran out. Benirschke missed one in overtime and von Schamann had another kick blocked before the San Diego kick won the game.
The Chargers' Hall of Fame tight end Kellen Winslow, exhausted by the extreme heat, had to be treated several times on the bench but he caught 13 passes for 166 yards and a touchdown. He also blocked von Schamann's kick as time ran out. Another San Diego star was Charlie Joiner, the Chargers' all-time leading receiver and 1996 enshrinee of the Pro Football Hall of Fame, who had seven receptions for 108 yards.

Oh year, I watched this entire game. Near the top of any great footbal game list. That lateral right before the half by Miami was a huge play.

pioneer

EOG Dedicated

I remember watching this game with my dad, and the pure unadulterated joy he partook from the game....we didn't have much joy after 1957, LOL. He's long gone now but he infused his love of sports(and gambling) into me...thanks for reminding me!

NFL Championship Game, 1957

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search
<!-- start content --><TABLE class=infobox style="FONT-SIZE: 90%" width=300><TBODY><TR><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 135%; TEXT-ALIGN: center" colSpan=2>1957 NFL Championship Game</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle colSpan=2><TABLE class=nowraplinks style="FONT-SIZE: 95%; BACKGROUND: #f9f9f9; LINE-HEIGHT: 95%" width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle width="50%">Cleveland Browns</TD><TD align=middle width="50%">Detroit Lions</TD></TR><TR><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 300%; LINE-HEIGHT: 100%" align=middle>14</TD><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 300%; LINE-HEIGHT: 100%" align=middle>59</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" align=center><TBODY><TR style="TEXT-ALIGN: center"><TH></TH><TH width=15>1</TH><TH width=15>2</TH><TH width=15>3</TH><TH width=15>4</TH><TH width=25>Total</TH></TR><TR style="TEXT-ALIGN: center"><TD align=right>Cleveland Browns</TD><TD bgColor=#e0e6eb>0</TD><TD bgColor=#e0e6eb>7</TD><TD bgColor=#e0e6eb>7</TD><TD bgColor=#e0e6eb>0</TD><TD>14</TD></TR><TR style="TEXT-ALIGN: center"><TD align=right>Detroit Lions</TD><TD bgColor=#e0e6eb>17</TD><TD bgColor=#e0e6eb>14</TD><TD bgColor=#e0e6eb>14</TD><TD bgColor=#e0e6eb>14</TD><TD>59</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle"><TD>Date</TD><TD>December 29, 1957</TD></TR><TR style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle"><TD>Stadium</TD><TD>Briggs Stadium</TD></TR><TR style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle"><TD>City</TD><TD>Detroit, MI</TD></TR><TR style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle"><TD>Attendance</TD><TD>N/A</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>The 1957 National Football League championship game was the 25th annual championship game. The NFL title game was held on December 29, 1957 at Briggs Stadium, Detroit, Michigan. The game was the fourth pairing of the Detroit Lions and Cleveland Browns in the championship game. The Lions have not appeared in or won a championship game since.
The Browns had won the Eastern Conference with a record of 9-2-1 while the Lions had to play a playoff game against the San Francisco 49ers in the previous week.

[edit] Game summmary

While the Lions were without injured starting quarterback Bobby Layne, backup QB Tobin Rote filled in admirably, throwing four touchdown passes, completing 12 of 19 passes for 280 yards, and running in for another touchdown.<SUP class=reference id=cite_ref-0>[1]</SUP>

[edit] Detroit Lions 59, Cleveland Browns 14

Scoring
  • DET - FG Martin 31
  • DET - Rote 1 yard run (Martin kick)
  • DET - Gedman 1 yard run (Martin kick)
  • CLE - Brown 29 yard run (Groza kick)
  • DET - Junker 26 yard pass from Rote (Martin kick)
  • DET - Barr 19 yard interception (Martin kick)
  • CLE - Carpenter 5 yard run (Groza kick)
  • DET - Doran 78 yard pass from Rote (Martin kick)
  • DET - Junker 23 yard pass from Rote (Martin kick)
  • DET - Middleton 32 yard pass from Rote (Martin kick)
  • DET Cassady yard pass from Reichow (Martin kick)

Journeyman

EOG Master

Jets-Dolphins Monday night game in 2000. Jets were down big and Vinny brings them back in the 4th Q to win in OT. They had that trick play to the lineman to score the last TD in regulation to send it to OT.

Rams-Bucs Monday night game in 2000. Another really good game. Remember Warrick Dunn having a big game.

2000 was a good year for MNF

Yes it was....so was 1998.

Almost Allright

GO Bucks!!!

dolphins chargers afc playoff...hands down the best game i ever saw even though i cried over the outcome.

nedrow

EOG Dedicated

kramer s block for starr vs dallas ,my father was a big packer fan and we watched football all the time , i remember him going nuts and me and my brother jumping up and down. higher we could not go.

NickPappagiorgio

EOG Dedicated

It was late 70s not sure the year. Patriots/Raiders playoff game. Patriots had the game won until a roughing the passer call on I think Sam Adams of the Pats. Raiders went on to beat Minnesota in the Superbowl

unluckysob

EOG Dedicated

who caught that pass. im thinking it was the carolina panther guy that went to prison for murder.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

I was at Giants Stadium when the Jets and Dolphins had that 51-45 OT classic years ago. Was just a kid and won't ever forget it.

I was at that game too!! I stayed till the bitter end!!

unluckysob

EOG Dedicated

For some reason I was a big Colorado Buffaloes fan when I was a kid (can't tell you why, I just liked 'em), and I remember watching the '94 Colorado/Michigan game and seeing Kordell throw that hail mary to win it.

Some of you blokes are rather old, but post your memories anyways.
who caught that pass? im thinking it was the carolina panther that went to prision for murder.

munson15

I want winners...

It was late 70s not sure the year. Patriots/Raiders playoff game. Patriots had the game won until a roughing the passer call on I think Sam Adams of the Pats. Raiders went on to beat Minnesota in the Superbowl
I think it was Sugar Bear Hamilton. One of the few times the Raiders caught a break from the refs. I think the league just wanted them to lose to Pittsburgh the following week.

Doc Mercer

EOG Master

Ice Bowl ...

3 Straight titles for the Pack .... what a great team with all the players
that made the HOF .... Might be missing someone but here is the ones
I can recall that made it .... and other great ones included Dave Robinson at LB, Bob Jeters at CB, Jerry Kramer at guard and Marv Fleming at TE

Starr
Taylor
Hornung
Davis
Gregg
Adderly
Wood
Nitschke
Jordan
Wood

MIKEH75

EOG Dedicated

i started watching football in the mid 80's so i'd say the flutie hail mary pass as time expires,watching lawrence taylor tackle joe theismannn and break his leg and career.watching a game in '85 where the bears beat the cowboys 44-0 and on the pregame show seeing some guy beat a fridge with a sledgehammer which certainly didn't affect the bears any that day or intimidate them.the elway comebacks against the browns in '87 and '88.the tennessee vols beating the miami hurricanes in the sugar bowl back then.watching the raiders and dolphins play a game that ended 45-34 with tons of scoring but i had to watch that game on my granny's lil black and white television,lol.the fog bowl with chicago and philly back in '90.the kingdome game in seattle where bo jackson ran for a TD and kept running and didn't stop it seemed like.i think that game was on a monday night in '87 i think but not sure.

Doc Mercer

EOG Master

Brady:

One of the greatest individual performances in the history of the NFL
happened that Christmas Day:

ED PODOLAK - Chiefs RB

350 total yards
85 rushing yards
110 receiving
155 on returns

NOT SURE HOW MANY FANTASY PTS THAT WOULD EQUAL BUT ONE OF THE
GREATEST EFFORTS FEW REMEMBER

Doc Mercer

EOG Master

The incredible fingertip catch by Robin Williams in the mud: THE BEST OF TIMES with Kurt Russell as "Reno Hightower"

sabian06

EOG Dedicated

I will never forget the thanksgiving snow game between the Cowboys and the Dolphins...............The Music City Miracle also.........

gopherbob

EOG Dedicated

i remember watching the "heide" game with my father. i remember him ranting and raving when they switched the end of the game to the heide special.

munson15

I want winners...

i remember watching the "heide" game with my father. i remember him ranting and raving when they switched the end of the game to the heide special.
who were you guys rooting for?

gopherbob

EOG Dedicated

who were you guys rooting for?

my father had bet oakland -7 (give or take a 1/2 point, the devil could help here). first he ranted and raved that they switched it, then he was happy the raiders covered, then he went back to ranting and raving because he didn't see it. he went off again when they replayed it on the 11pm news.