How old is the earth?

Re: How old is the earth?

It's always fun when they ask some TV preacher this question. When asked how to explain things like dinosaurs they give you the I'm just given better info by God than you are, next question attitude.

It also says the earth was created in 7 days.

Day is a term that can mean different things.

Even in this era, people say, "back in my day..."

If you don't believe in God, that's fine. But don't bitch about people trying to convince you when you're making posts like this arguing the opposite.

You can't have your cake and eat it too.

It also says the earth was created in 7 days.

Day is a term that can mean different things.

Even in this era, people say, "back in my day..."

If you don't believe in God, that's fine. But don't bitch about people trying to convince you when you're making posts like this arguing the opposite.

You can't have your cake and eat it too.

So some of the bible is to be taken literally but some isnt? I dont understand.

Talking about having cake and eating it too........

Journeyman

EOG Master

What yr was the bible written?

How much of the bible is fact, how much is speculation?

If you're real lucky you get 36,500 days of existance, don't count on life after death, I'm not.

texansfan

EOG Master

The term Free-Thinker emerged toward the end of the 17th century in England to describe those who stood in opposition to the institution of the Church, and of literal belief in the Bible.

Freethought - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Maybe you should brush up on what Free-Thinker means. :cheers

I guess. I was thinking more along the lines of open minded I guess. JMAN, don't worry, nobody who is as self-absorbed and arrogant as you has a chance anyways after death.

pioneer

EOG Dedicated

The term Free-Thinker emerged toward the end of the 17th century in England to describe those who stood in opposition to the institution of the Church, and of literal belief in the Bible.

Freethought - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Maybe you should brush up on what Free-Thinker means. :cheers

The term "free-thinker" might have meant something 300+ years ago...there is no doubt that the Institution of the Church was guilty in the past of trying to force erroneous beliefs on people, ie. the Galileo spisode.

And I think the term "free-thinker" is especially appropriate for OSUCOWARD as his thinking is definitely about 300+ years behind the times! Incidentally, the Church would be considered "free-thinkers" according to your definition as they definitely don't believe in a literal beilef in the Bible. So like it or not, OSUCOWARD, you just joined the Church!

But if the universe and the stars are only 6000 years old, and light appears to have taken billions of years to make that journey, how did that light manage to reach the earth?

Hmmmmmmmmm....

pioneer

EOG Dedicated

But if the universe and the stars are only 6000 years old, and light appears to have taken billions of years to make that journey, how did that light manage to reach the earth?

Hmmmmmmmmm....

Your first premise is flawed....kinda like the rest of your thinking. You should have quit after posting this...

"So some of the bible is to be taken literally but some isnt? I dont understand."

....truer words were never uttered!

Where did a young-earth worldview come from?

Simply put, it came from the Bible. Of course, the Bible doesn?t say explicitly anywhere, ?the earth is 6,000 years old.? Good thing it doesn?t; otherwise it would be out of date the following year. But we wouldn?t expect an all-knowing God to make that kind of a mistake.
God gave us something better. In essence, He gave us a ?birth certificate.? For example, using my personal birth certificate, I can calculate how old I am at any point. It is similar with the earth. Genesis 1 says that the earth was created on the first day of creation (Genesis 1:1?5). From there, we can begin calculations of the age of the earth.
Let?s do a rough calculation to show how this works. The age of the earth can be estimated by taking the first 5 days of creation (from earth?s creation to Adam), then following the genealogies from Adam to Abraham in Genesis 5 and 11, then adding in the time from Abraham to today.
Adam was created on Day 6, so there were 5 days before him. If we add up the dates from Adam to Abraham, we get about 2,000 years, using the Masoretic Hebrew text of Genesis 5 and 11.<sup>3</sup> Whether Christian or secular, most scholars would agree that Abraham lived about 2,000 B.C. (4,000 years ago).
So a simple calculation is:
5 days
+ ~2000 years
+ ~4000 years
At this point, the first 5 days are negligible. Quite a few people have done this calculation using the Masoretic text (which is what most English translations are based on) and, with careful attention to the biblical details, have arrived at the same time-frame of about 6,000 years, or about 4,000 B.C.

How old is the earth? - Answers in Genesis

texansfan

EOG Master

I can cut and paste an article that is different from what you posted. Why even argue about it? If you don't believe in God then that's something you will have to deal with, not me or anyone else. Nothing you post will make me change how I feel about religion. I attend church every week and will continue to do so. Does being an atheist make you somehow feel better than everyone else?

I can cut and paste an article that is different from what you posted. Why even argue about it? If you don't believe in God then that's something you will have to deal with, not me or anyone else. Nothing you post will make me change how I feel about religion. I attend church every week and will continue to do so. Does being an atheist make you somehow feel better than everyone else?

I have never met an atheist that was "holier than thou". I can't say the same for some christians I have met.

Have you noticed the ONLY person that calls people names (in reference to their belief system, i.e. idiot) around here is god's right hand man Pioneer? Is that just pure coincidence?

pioneer

EOG Dedicated

Where did a young-earth worldview come from?

Simply put, it came from the Bible. Of course, the Bible doesn?t say explicitly anywhere, ?the earth is 6,000 years old.?

Thank you for proving my point, errr, points....1) that the Bible doesn't say that the earth is 6000 years old, and 2) that you are a fucking idiot!

I have never met an atheist that was "holier than thou". I can't say the same for some christians I have met.

Have you noticed the ONLY person that calls people names (in reference to their belief system, i.e. idiot) around here is god's right hand man Pioneer? Is that just pure coincidence?

Right on cue..........

texansfan

EOG Master

Why does it bother you what he says? Do you lie awake at night thinking of Pioneer? If what he says offends you then you have the option of not reading it. I believe in the end everyone will have to answer for their actions in life. I feel sorry for people who live their lives not believing in God, but I'm not going to insult them or ridicule them personally for their beliefs.

pioneer

EOG Dedicated

OSUCOWARD.....look in the mirror....and you are an idiot because of the idiotic things you post, ie. you just posted...
"Hmmmm. The bible teaches it is 6000 or so years old."
...and then you contradicted yourself(proved you were an idiot) by posting this...
"Of course, the Bible doesn?t say explicitly anywhere, ?the earth is 6,000 years old."
...of course, in your case you are an idiot for your belief system also and as evidence for that I offer this brief synopsis of an exchange between the two of us in the past. I asked you if you could disprove whether God, the Creator, the Supreme Being, existed and you acknowledged that you could not. Then I asked you if it made a difference to you if you were created by God or not and incredibly, you replied that since you didn't believe in God, no, it didn't make a difference to you. In other words, God, the Creator, the Supreme Being, needs your belief in order to exist. That is the height of arrogance!

Why does it bother you what he says? Do you lie awake at night thinking of Pioneer? If what he says offends you then you have the option of not reading it. I believe in the end everyone will have to answer for their actions in life. I feel sorry for people who live their lives not believing in God, but I'm not going to insult them or ridicule them personally for their beliefs.

Because it is two-faced.

I am who I am. I don't pretend to be something I am not.

He puts on a charade of christianity and lives his life completely differently. Would his church approve of his gambling addiction? Would they approve of the way he curses? Would they approve of how he is spreading "god's word"?

His response will likely be "christians aren't perfect, just forgiven."

Well, how convenient.