May'n or Other Gun Owners...

VegasMike01

EOG Addicted
So, I think I am finally about to cave in and buy a home-protection shotgun (Short barreled shotgun). The problem is that I have a 2yr old running around the house, and even thinking about it gives me great anxiety. The worsening economy and the thought of rising home invasions also gives me great anxiety. I know there are plenty of people out there with guns + kids, so how do you do it while feeling comfortable? The gun obviously needs to be accessible enough to grab in the event of a home invasion, but also hard enough for a young child to find. What can I do to alleviate my fears?

CUBSFAN

EOG Veteran
Re: May'n or Other Gun Owners...

buy a trigger lock. universal one from dicks or gun shop cost bout 8 bux you can get them off real quick and u have to have the key so i dont think your kid could fiqure it out, i use one (i got roomateates that are always drunk.)

In your case, I would simply place the gun high enough where the youngster can't reach it.

Another option would be to get a pump action and simply keep rounds in the magazine. When a pump action shotgun is chambered, it makes a very distinctive and scary sound to a would be burgler. I highly doubt that a 2 year old would be able to chamber a round in a pump action.

Well if you have a two year old, keeping the gun out of reach is a must. I don't see a problem with that, so long as you can do that.

Once he's (or she) old enough to get into things, educate him on the gun, and what it can do. Take him with you to shoot it. Blow up a few pumpkins or watermelons or milk jugs, whatever. Let him see what a shotgun does.

That along with the noise and the kick if you let him shoot it, should be enough to send home a little fear/respect for it.

Then just keep on him about how important it is to never touch a gun unless you are with him, no matter where he is, and if his friends have one, you leave immediately and call you to come and get him.

I have two girls ages 5 and 8 and I can say with 100% confidence that they will absolutely NOT EVER touch a gun without me there. I have one in my closet and while I constantly remind them about it, I do not fear at all that they'll even think about touching it, or showing it to friends or anything.

I KEEP MY SHOTGUN UNDER MY BED AND THE SHELLS IN A BOX NEXT TO THE BED.....MY KIDS ARE TOO YOUNG TO HAVE A CLUE HOW TO LOAD IT...BUT THE ALSO KNOW THAT IF THEY TOUCH IT.....THE BEATING WILL BEGIN...

Hitdogg42

EOG Dedicated

Education is the key........Please dont ever think by putting a gun up high is a factor, kids can climb and get anything.....Gun lock, is a choice, but getting all that shit off in time might be too late, but it's a better alternative than seeing a child YOUR child blown up.......Always make sure the safety is ON......Ammo and gun kept separate is not a bad idea as well......Hand guns are a totally different issue, so much easier to access and pull the trigger for a child than a heavy shot gun....

Hitdogg

texansfan

EOG Master

I would go with the shotgun and keep the shells separate. If you practice just a little you can become very efficient in loading it quickly.

I own around 10 handguns and keep all but one unloaded. The one that is loaded is carried with me everywhere I go though and is always kept away from the kids.

The General

Another Day, Another Dollar

So, I think I am finally about to cave in and buy a home-protection shotgun (Short barreled shotgun). The problem is that I have a 2yr old running around the house, and even thinking about it gives me great anxiety. The worsening economy and the thought of rising home invasions also gives me great anxiety. I know there are plenty of people out there with guns + kids, so how do you do it while feeling comfortable? The gun obviously needs to be accessible enough to grab in the event of a home invasion, but also hard enough for a young child to find. What can I do to alleviate my fears?

I educate my kids the best I can.

Let them watch me fire and say this will kill you stay away from it and dont touch it if you have the chance, but I always know where my weapons are and I always know where my children are. That seems to work real good.

Glad you are doing this because we agree on the state of affairs in our world.

texansfan

EOG Master

All you can do is make the environment as safe as possible for them and also educate them. Having that "fear" will ensure that you won't slack when it comes to their safety.