Comparing these Lakers to Showtime and the Shaq Lakers, comparable?

Journeyman

EOG Master
I don't think so.

Why are we seeing less dominant teams now?

Same goes for the Celtics, that team could not compete with Bird's bunch.

Kobs Gasol and Odom? vs Kareem , Magic and Worthy?

Pulease!:rolleyes:

Re: Comparing these Lakers to Showtime and the Shaq Lakers, comparable?

Not even close to either of those Lakers teams. Even if they win the championship this year.

shooterman

EOG Veteran

The present day teams would dominate in the slam dunk contests, as well as in the network dancing competitions. As far as competitive basketball, I do not think the Kobe team or the Garnett/Pierce/Allen team would cover one game against their respective past teams, never mind win one outright.

Journeyman

EOG Master

Not even close to either of those Lakers teams. Even if they win the championship this year.

wELL THAT IS A FOREGONE CONCLUSION AT THIS POINT AND WHY i BROUGHT IT UP.

No way this team could hang with those great teams, why are we seeing less great teams, too much talet all over?

Same with MLB which is in a real funk for really good teams....there's just no great teams in MLB now.

Trip78

EOG Member

Andrew Bynum will make the Laker team one of the best Laker teams of all time when he returns next year assuming they keep everyone else.

Trip78

EOG Member

Ray Allen's funk is keeping the Celtics from being great. Perkins is horrible. Just dumb. The Celtic team of the 80s was a team where as the team they have now is 3 great individual players with 1 going through the slump of his career at the worst time. Obviously the 80s Celtics were more clutch. Also there is more talent today in all sports. In 20 years there will be even more. As population increases, so does available talent. The NBA today has many more good teams. Whereas before they all seemed to migrate to a few certain teams.

HotShotHarvey

EOG Veteran

TRIP78---when Bynum gets back-you may be right. They still need a top-flight point guard...can you imagine them with CP3 or Derron Williams???

TomBrady#1

EOG Dedicated

TRIP78---when Bynum gets back-you may be right. They still need a top-flight point guard...can you imagine them with CP3 or Derron Williams???

Touche, but Bynam will be enough to make this team devastating. A 7 foot athlete added to this bunch! Wow.

royboy

EOG Dedicated

if they had a healthy bynum this team could match up with just about any team you throw out there.

Journeyman

EOG Master

Ray Allen's funk is keeping the Celtics from being great. Perkins is horrible. Just dumb. The Celtic team of the 80s was a team where as the team they have now is 3 great individual players with 1 going through the slump of his career at the worst time. Obviously the 80s Celtics were more clutch. Also there is more talent today in all sports. In 20 years there will be even more. As population increases, so does available talent. The NBA today has many more good teams. Whereas before they all seemed to migrate to a few certain teams.

You make some excellent points and I agree....sometimes i wonder if it's just so much talent around that everyone 'appears' to be less talented.

Seymour

EOG Dedicated

Touche, but Bynam will be enough to make this team devastating. A 7 foot athlete added to this bunch! Wow.

Can't see them losing when Bynum comes back - another 7 footer plus the officials - makes them unbeatable.

Doc Mercer

EOG Master

Why is this even a topic?

Lakers have not won jack yet ...

Let alone enough to warrant a "Dynasty"

Journeyman

EOG Master

Why is this even a topic?

Lakers have not won jack yet ...

Let alone enough to warrant a "Dynasty"

Ahh.... so they have to win something to be allowed to be in a disussion?

The ARE the 2008 NBA champs, the west champ is the NBA champ.

Trip78

EOG Member

Ray Allen is heating up now. If he stays hot this Celtics team will cruise through the Lakers. The Lakers year is next year and subsequent years. They need Bynum to beat this Celtics team with all 3 stars clicking.

Unless Kobe can average 35 a game but the celtics will not allow that.

Andrew Bynum will make the Laker team one of the best Laker teams of all time when he returns next year assuming they keep everyone else.

Why, because he can dunk and make 3-footers?

royalfan

EOG Dedicated

Not rocket science fellas. League way better now that it ever has been. People just don't like hoops as much as then as it was easier on the eyes as there was nobody athletic to play defense and the simple minded idiots need points to enjoy a sport.(Although I agree, soccer sucks)

And now part 2. Many more teams than ever before so the talent is more spread out so you aren't going to have that many superstars on a team like back then with the salary cap and what not. Yet the average joe dumbfuck says the league is unwatchable.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

I would like to know who the 'showtime' Lakers have beaten. I'm not talking about NBA titles, i'm talking about the players who are everyday players on everyday teams. How was the 'competition' back 30 years ago?

I have to imagine the players of today are bigger, stronger, faster and more athletic.