Bucsfan67 Nostalgia Thread (#1)...."Andy Griffith Show"

Bucsfan67

EOG Master
Seems there are many of us here that enjoy the trips down memory lane...so i thought i would start a series of threads dedicated to some of our favorite TV shows from the past, with info that some people may not know....alot of this info can be found on Wikipedia, and some is just personal knowledge....

But often, more goes on behind the scenes than we ever realize or knew....Feel free to share any info on the subject that u may have seen in documentaries, or during interviews, or however u got it.....

Hopefully this will be fun and informative for some of us that still enjoy the "Good ole Days".....

This week's subject is the Andy Griffith Show.....

Ratings:

The Andy Griffith show ran for 8 seasons during the 1960's.....the first 5 seasons were in black and white, and the last three were in color....the show placed in the top 10 Nielsen ratings every season, with its only season at #1 being the final season.....

Andy's History:

In the premiere episode, the viewer learns Andy was raised by Aunt Bee, suggesting (but not confirming) he was an orphan. Andy lived in Mayberry as a child (old timers in the show remember him as a boy) and attended Mayberry Union High, graduating in the class of '45. His high school girlfriend Sharon Despain ? anxious to experience the fullness of life in a place other than slow-paced Mayberry, broke off their relationship and moved to Chicago. In a first season episode, Andy says he served in France during World War II. In another episode, it is mentioned that Andy-as-lawman fired his gun at a fleeing robber in 1952. Andy's son Opie is six-years-old when the show begins. Andy hired a housekeeper, Rose, to manage his household before Aunt Bee's return in the first episode. Except for Aunt Bee, Opie, and Barney, Andy has no relatives living in Mayberry and its vicinity.

Opie's Mother?

What happened to Opie's mother?" is a question often asked among the show's viewers and fans. Little is known about her, however. Even her name is unknown. She is actually mentioned only twice. In the backdoor pilot, Andy says he lost her when Opie was "the least little speck of a baby", and, in "Wedding Bells for Aunt Bee", Opie asks his father if he had the kind of love for his mother that Aunt Bee and her husband-to-be have for each other. Andy indicates he did have that kind of love. In the third-season episode "A Wife for Andy", Barney refers to Andy as a man "who's been married once before", but there is no evidence that he was married to Opie's mother. Her life and whereabouts are never discussed. It is not clear if she is dead. There are no souvenirs (such as photos or portraits) of her in the Taylor home nor does anyone mention or visit a grave. In addition, only Opie's paternal relatives appear on the show. Opie's mother remains a question mark in the show's mythology and a mystery fans continue to examine.

Fun Facts about each season:

Season one (1960-61)

The show's four stars ? Griffith, Howard, Knotts and Bavier, are introduced in the premiere episode with all announced in the opening credits save Bavier. Pharmacist Elinor "Ellie" Walker (Elinor Donahue) becomes Andy's romantic interest but is dropped after twelve appearances. Andy's fathering skills are tested in several episodes, as they would be in every succeeding season. Recurring characters Floyd Lawson, Clara Edwards (Hope Summers), Otis Campbell (Hal Smith), and Thelma Lou debut. The season sees the only Christmas-themed episode.

Season two (1961-62)

The season is rich with guest stars: Alan Hale, Jr., Andy Clyde, Barbara Eden, Sterling Holloway, Bill Bixby, Buddy Ebsen appear. Andy dates Mary Simpson (Julie Adams/Sue Anne Langdon) while Aunt Bee dates handyman "Uncle" Henry Wheeler (Edgar Buchanan), the first of her several series romances. Opie's mother is mentioned for the first and only time on the series.[6]

Season three (1962-63)

Filling station attendant Gomer Pyle (Jim Nabors) debuts. Andy dates rich-girl Peggy McMillan in four episodes and has his only series kiss with former sweetheart Sharon Despain at a high school reunion. Schoolteacher Helen Crump debuts and becomes Andy's sweetheart for the remainder of the series. Aunt Bee romances disreputable medicine man Colonel Harvey. In real life, Howard McNear suffers a stroke and leaves the show.

Season four (1963-64)

Howard McNear returns to the show but plays Floyd Lawson from a seated position. Gomer's cousin Goober Pyle debuts. Love-smitten hillbilly Briscoe Darling (Denver Pyle) carries Aunt Bee to his mountain cabin. A false rumor is spread about Andy and Helen marrying. Jim Nabors leaves the show after twenty-three appearances to star in his own spin-off series Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C..

Season five (1964-65)

At the end of the season, Barney Fife leaves Mayberry to take a job with the Raleigh Police Department. Barney's sweetheart, Thelma Lou is dropped from the show as a recurring character. In the season's final episode, Jerry Van Dyke appears as Andy's replacement deputy but never returns to the show. In real life, Don Knotts left the show to pursue a film career. He makes five guest appearances in the following color seasons.

Season six (1965-66)

The series begins filming in color. The opening sequence is reshot, retaining the father and son walk to the fishing hole and the scene's musical theme. Jack Burns plays Andy's deputy Warren Ferguson but is dropped after eleven appearances. Mayberry County Clerk Howard Sprague debuts. Thelma Lou makes a guest appearance. Aunt Bee begins a series of romances with respectable gentlemen, her first being a retired senator.

Season seven (1966-67)

Frances Bavier wins an Emmy. Aunt Bee has a brief romance with visiting clergyman Reverend Leighton. Helen is referenced for the first time as Andy's fianc?e.[7] Rockne Tarkington is the only black performer to appear on the show in a speaking role. Howard McNear leaves the show. A sponsor complains about character Otis Campbell and his alcoholic shenanigans. Otis is dropped; Hal Smith leaves the show.

Season eight (1967-68)

Frances Bavier is announced for the first time in the opening credits. Paul Hartman joins the show as fix-it shop owner Emmett Clark. Ken Berry plays widower Sam Jones, star of the sequel series. Aunt Bee has a romance with professor Hubert St. John. Arlene Golonka makes two appearances as Millie Hutchins, a bakery clerk and Howard Sprague's betrothed. The season closes at number one in the Nielsen Ratings.

One familiar thing i always noticed watching the show, was during different seasons, the same actor would appear playing different roles.....this is confirmed when i looked it up.....Griffith appears in all 249 episodes with Bavier coming in second at 239. Mary Lansing and Bob McQuain are frequent bit players with Lansing appearing in fifteen episodes and McQuain in fourteen. Allan Melvin plays substantial roles in eight episodes, while Burt Mustin portrays six characters in eleven episodes. Don Knotts' last appearance on the show in the eighth season is the most watched episode of the series. Only Griffith, Howard, Bavier, Knotts, and Hope Summers appear in all eight seasons ? Knotts as a regular character for the first five seasons and a recurring one for the last three. Mayberry telephone operator Sarah and diner waitress Juanita Beasley are characters often mentioned on the show but never seen....

After the show ended, Andy Griffith went on to future success in movies and had another long running hit show in Matlock...

Don Knotts appeared in movies, and also replaced Norman Fell and Audra Lindley on the popular hit sitcom Three's Company....

Ron Howard went on to star in another long running hit show, Happy Days, and has amassed a very successful career as a hollywood director

Frances Bavier basically went into hibernation after the show, and later died a recluse in North Carolina.....In 1972, Bavier, bought a home in Siler City, North Carolina, sight unseen, and retired from acting. On choosing to live in North Carolina instead of her native New York, Bavier stated in an interview that, "I fell in love with North Carolina, all the pretty roads and the trees". She briefly returned to acting in 1974 in the family film, Benji.

The day before Thanksgiving 1989, Bavier was admitted to Chatham Hospital. Frances was suffering from both heart disease and cancer, and was kept in the coronary care unit for two weeks. She was discharged on December 4, 1989 and died at her home two days later of a heart attack in 1989, just eight days before her 87th birthday.

Bavier was buried in Oakwood Cemetery in Siler City. Her tombstone is emblazoned with the name of her most famous role, "Aunt Bee".

Bavier's will bequeathed her home to the Moore Regional Hospital in Pinehurst, North Carolina, and some contents of the home went to the University of North Carolina Center for Public Television. On June 20, 1990, Bavier's belongings were auctioned off, including her wardrobe from The Andy Griffith Show and a 1966 Studebaker. Frances had last driven in the car in 1983.[1] After her death, it was found in her garage, sitting on four flat tires, its interior having been ruined by her many cats. Despite its deterioration, two Andy Griffith fans bought it for US$20,000 at the auction.

There were often reports rifts between Bavier and the cast, dispelling the on screne image of the loving Aunt Bea....Bavier had a love-hate relationship with her most famous role, Aunt Bee. As a New York actress, she felt her dramatic talents were being overlooked. At the same time, she played Aunt Bea for ten seasons, longer than any other Mayberry character. Her career illustrates the paradox facing many strongly "typed" performers. Audiences took at face value her portrayal of a warm, nurturing matron, but co-workers and others who interacted with her reportedly often found her cool and uneasy. Bavier and Andy Griffith did not get along well on the set. Andy Griffith had addressed the fact that the two sometimes clashed during The Andy Griffith Show's run. The actress was easily slighted, and the production staff would often appease her by "walking on eggshells". According to Griffith ("Larry King Live"- April 24, 1998) Bavier phoned him four months before she died, and said she was deeply sorry for being "difficult" during the series' run. Her medical condition prevented her from taking part in the 1986 television movie, Return to Mayberry.....

Andy Griffith was a show that went down in history as one of the best wholesome comedies ever made.....Don Knott's portrayal of Barney Fife, is often mentioned as one of the greatest characters in television history.....I would have to agree....

My favorite Andy Griffith memory: the many times Barney would be on the phone basically talking "dirty" to Thelma Lou, and Andy would walk in and hear him, unbeknownst to Barney....whenever he would realize Andy was there, he would hurry up and get off the phone, and his facial expressions were priceless..

Bucsfan67

EOG Master
Re: Bucsfan67 Nostalgia Thread (#1)...."Andy Griffith Show"

typical Barney...

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oBuPQgV8yBM&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oBuPQgV8yBM&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

dirty

EOG Master

One of the best shows ever made... have watched every episode at least 10 times...good stuff

typical Barney...

<OBJECT height=355 width=425>

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oBuPQgV8yBM&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></OBJECT>
</P>
Pretty funny in the youtube video how Barney's hair is perfectly combed, then it's messed up, then in the two-shots with Andy it is backed to combed, and then in the close-ups with Barney it's messed up again

SSI

EOG Dedicated

Loved the show and appreciate the thread... This show has become probably the most watched show in television history. Im sure it airs daily now, in many parts of the country, not only on TVLAND.

I remember a quote by Andy Griffith, that kind of stuck out to me..

He said, "Andy Taylor was a much better man than Andy Griffith ever was".

Ernets T. Bass died a couple of years ago, he is probably more remembered than anyone else, that only appeared in a handful of episodes..

It always strikes me as odd, to see Andy light up a cigarette...

SSI

EOG Dedicated

for me the show was over, when Barney left. i can barely set thru the last 3 seasons, for the most part...

Citizens Arrest, was probably my favorite episode but there were many..

Bucsfan67

EOG Master

for me the show was over, when Barney left. i can barely set thru the last 3 seasons, for the most part...

Citizens Arrest, was probably my favorite episode but there were many..

my favorite as well....and yes, when Barney left, it was totallly different....would be like I love lucy WITHOUT fred and ethel....just wouldnt be as funny

SSI

EOG Dedicated

my 3 personal favorites and im not sure of the order are.

andy griffith
sanford and son
seinfeld

seriously, if im channel surfing and one of those are on... ill stop every time and watch a little or all of it..

Redd Foxx was great... do Sanford and Son sometime Bucs..

Bucsfan67

EOG Master

my 3 personal favorites and im not sure of the order are.

andy griffith
sanford and son
seinfeld

seriously, if im channel surfing and one of those are on... ill stop every time and watch a little or all of it..

Redd Foxx was great... do Sanford and Son sometime Bucs..

As long as everyone enjoys them, i will do a thread every couple of days, with all the classic shows....there are always some facts that people didnt know....

For Andy Griffith, i found the mystery around Opie's mom the most interesting...i just always assumed he was a widower, but never acknowledged that it was never said, and never thought about the fact that no pictures are ever around the house (like a normal widower would), or that they never go or mention the cemetary, even on birthdays, or mothers day......i just never thought about it

SSI

EOG Dedicated

Bucs what about the relationship between Andy and Barney..

Ive heard them refer to each other as cousins, early on.. then later, they just say they are friends..

which way is it?

TomBrady#1

EOG Dedicated

Ive heard them refer to each other as cousins, early on.. then later, they just say they are friends..

which way is it?

I was going to post this same thing. You have got it right. Early on they were cousins and then they did not mention that later on and did call each other friends.

Bucsfan67

EOG Master

which way is it?

yeah, i read that on there, that they were cousins...i did not know it...but however, i did see an episode awhile back, where andy made the statement "i never thought a cousin of mine would make such a fine deputy"....so they were cousins

But wouldnt that have made Bea Barney's aunt as well? it never seemed like he was "family" as far as that goes...i mean he was family by being close, but never felt like it was family with Bea, and he would have been Opie's 2nd cousin, and that seems odd......

Except for Aunt Bee, Opie, and Barney, Andy has no relatives living in Mayberry and its vicinity.

SSI

EOG Dedicated

are Thelma Lou, Andy and Opie, the only cast members still alive? well, i guess Gomer and Goober are alive as well.

i read an interesting article on thelma lou once, dont think she ever married and has since moved to Mt. Aiery NC, the town that the show was based on. I think i have this right...

Bucsfan67

EOG Master

are Thelma Lou, Andy and Opie, the only cast members still alive? well, i guess Gomer and Goober are alive as well.

i read an interesting article on thelma lou once, dont think she ever married and has since moved to Mt. Aiery NC, the town that the show was based on. I think i have this right...

Ellie, is still alive, the pharmacist that Andy had a thing for for a season or so.....

and some of the later add ons like Ken Barry and some are alive, but of the main cast, i guess those are all that are still alive...helen Krump died about 3 years ago....

TomBrady#1

EOG Dedicated

yeah, i read that on there, that they were cousins...i did not know it...but however, i did see an episode awhile back, where andy made the statement "i never thought a cousin of mine would make such a fine deputy"....so they were cousins

But wouldnt that have made Bea Barney's aunt as well? it never seemed like he was "family" as far as that goes...i mean he was family by being close, but never felt like it was family with Bea, and he would have been Opie's 2nd cousin, and that seems odd......

Except for Aunt Bee, Opie, and Barney, Andy has no relatives living in Mayberry and its vicinity.

They never mentioned cousins after the beginning. Sometimes a script can change and I think it did here. If you know what I mean.

Bucsfan67

EOG Master

yeah, its possible....it maybe wasnt changed, it just wasnt emphasized anymore after the first time......that does happen on shows alot....if u pay attention..

another thing i find odd, is many times on sitcoms, after the first season , if the show is picked up again, they will come back, and the house will be different....either reversed, or kitchen has moved, etc....happened on Still Standing, TheNanny, Hangin with mr Cooper, Designing Women, Happy Days, and others..

and dont even get me started on shows where the kids age 5 years in a year, or they dissappear all together with no reason or mention

TomBrady#1

EOG Dedicated

yeah, its possible....it maybe wasnt changed, it just wasnt emphasized anymore after the first time......that does happen on shows alot....if u pay attention..

another thing i find odd, is many times on sitcoms, after the first season , if the show is picked up again, they will come back, and the house will be different....either reversed, or kitchen has moved, etc....happened on Still Standing, TheNanny, Hangin with mr Cooper, Designing Women, Happy Days, and others..

and dont even get me started on shows where the kids age 5 years in a year, or they dissappear all together with no reason or mention

I know exactly what you are saying here. You are right especially the changes early on.

ON Happy Days, Richie brother Chuck was there early and then no more.

They might not have emphasized the "cousin" relationship between Barney and Andy.....possible.

Bucsfan67

EOG Master

I know exactly what you are saying here. You are right especially the changes early on.

ON Happy Days, Richie brother Chuck was there early and then no more.

They might not have emphasized the "cousin" relationship between Barney and Andy.....possible.

yeah, chuck dissappearing and the house flipping around was funny....

vinividivinci

EOG Addicted

Bucsfan67

Thanks for doing this! A great television series, easily top-5 alltime comedy series. That's an excellent thread to start, by the way.

Top-5 alltime comedy series by VVV:

I Love Lucy

Leave it to Beaver

Andy Griffith Show

Seinfield

All in the Family

:cheers

VVV

dirty

EOG Master

Barney was mentioned as his cousin in the first couple of episodes then never again.... Barney was supposed to be a recurring character but the audience loved him so much they had to rewrite the show after episode 1.

Chuck was written off as joining the Army and going off to fight....

Bucsfan67

EOG Master

Chuck was written off as joining the Army and going off to fight....

I dont think thats rigth Dirty....i dont remember anything being said, after he was just gone one day.....i looked it up, and this is what they had to say...

Chuck was written out during the series' second season with no explanation and was rarely referred to again. Scripts from later seasons implied the Cunninghams had two, not three children. However, in the third and fourth-season recap versions of the Christmas episode, "Guess Who's Coming To Christmas", Fonzie ? recalling his first Christmas with the Cunninghams ? tells Arnold, and later, Al, that Chuck was "away at college."

In a Happy Days reunion show from 2005, the cast mentioned that Chuck had won a scholarship to the "University of Outer Mongolia" to play basketball, as a sort of an inside joke.

An officially circulated outtake from the final episode has Mr. Cunningham raising a glass to the entire cast and saying "to Happy Days." After taking a sip, he blurts out in mock surprise "Wait, where's Chuck?!"

The unexplained removal of a character in a TV series has come to be known as "Chuck Cunningham Syndrome". See also the character of Eugene Barkley in The Big Valley

akillies

EOG Veteran

I go thru Mt. Airy all the time, andy's hometown, a small town but larger than mayberry. Pilot mountain is about 20 miles south of mt airy. the closest city is winston - salem about 50 miles away.

Bucsfan67

EOG Master

I go thru Mt. Airy all the time, andy's hometown, a small town but larger than mayberry. Pilot mountain is about 20 miles south of mt airy. the closest city is winston - salem about 50 miles away.

so if there is a pilot mountain, is there really a Mount Pilot? or was that just an homage to his hometown, naming the 'big city" near mayberry that

Blackcloud

EOG Dedicated

Good thread Bucs.

Great show. Along with Seinfeld, it is my favorite. Honorable mention to All in the Family, MASH and Sanford & Son.

Bucsfan67

EOG Master

thanks.....I am not saying Andy Griffith is the best ever, we are just gonna tallk about different classics over time....I will have another new one that im working on tonight, or tomorrow night...i just think its kinda fun to find out what other people thought of shows, and find out some of the trivia and backstage stuff that went on...

glad u guys enjoy them......

akillies

EOG Veteran

so if there is a pilot mountain, is there really a Mount Pilot? or was that just an homage to his hometown, naming the 'big city" near mayberry that
its a real mountain close to mt airy, andy used the name just switched it around, there maybe a town there but no city.

Bucsfan67

EOG Master

just happened to see Citizen's Arrest on TV over the holidays....still cracks me up every time to see gomer running down the street hollaring...

I guess the classics never die..

pioneer

EOG Dedicated

Thanks for bumping this...I somehow missed it when you originally posted it....have you done any others..."so i thought i would start a series of threads dedicated to some of our favorite TV shows from the past"?

Bucsfan67

EOG Master

no, actually i havent....i jsut thought of it when i saw the episode again.....

I think i will though....we still have some posters around here that are over 40, and enjoy stuff like this.....

I enjoy the trips down memory lane every now and then.....and there certainly are many classics to choose from..

oakas

EOG Addicted

I can not believe I missed this thread the first time around.

TAGS (The Andy Griffith Show to us nerds) is by far the best show ever.
I am a HUGE fan of this show having all the black and white episodes on dvd. I did not care for the colored episodes at all.

I also have 5 books about the show. I have seen every episode at least 20 times. My favorite episodes at least 50 times.

"Convicts at Large" is by far my favorite episode. Seeing Floyd sitting on the sofa enjoying himself after being captured by the 3 female convicts is golden.

Next to Barney, Floyd was my favorite. He suffered a stroke during the 4th season of the show and missed some episodes. but returned to the show and if you notice was always sitting down in his scenes.

I could go on and on about this show, but I better not.

pioneer

EOG Dedicated

Next to Barney, Floyd was my favorite. He suffered a stroke during the 4th season of the show and missed some episodes. but returned to the show and if you notice was always sitting down in his scenes.

Bucsfan(or whereever he got this info from) noticed also....

"Season four (1963-64)

Howard McNear returns to the show but plays Floyd Lawson from a seated position."

buster

EOG Senior Member

'My favorite Andy Griffith memory: the many times Barney would be on the phone basically talking "dirty" to Thelma Lou, and Andy would walk in and hear him, unbeknownst to Barney....whenever he would realize Andy was there, he would hurry up and get off the phone, and his facial expressions were priceless.."

what kind of bullshit is this? he was always talking to "JUANITA"

and any TV station that airs any versions of the color shows should have their license revoked...

oakas

EOG Addicted

Bucsfan(or whereever he got this info from) noticed also....

"Season four (1963-64)

Howard McNear returns to the show but plays Floyd Lawson from a seated position."

Shit, I did not notice Bucs had stated this on the his post.:cheers

oakas

EOG Addicted

'My favorite Andy Griffith memory: the many times Barney would be on the phone basically talking "dirty" to Thelma Lou, and Andy would walk in and hear him, unbeknownst to Barney....whenever he would realize Andy was there, he would hurry up and get off the phone, and his facial expressions were priceless.."

what kind of bullshit is this? he was always talking to "JUANITA"

and any TV station that airs any versions of the color shows should have their license revoked...

Good one buster.

Remember when he had Juanita on the phone repeating "Cock-a-doodle-do" and Andy is standing there cracking up....Classic.

In one of the books I have it stated that Andy had a heck of a time keeping a straight face when he was doing a scene with Barney and Floyd, especially Floyd.