Why Doesn't al-Qaeda Attack the US?

Why Doesn't al-Qaeda Attack the US?
by Michael Scheuer
May 29, 2008

With daily television coverage of suicide car-bomb attacks, ambushes, drive-by shootings, stabbings, and other Intifada-type attacks around the world, the question arises as to why al-Qaeda does not stage such small-scale but deadly operations in the United States. From Washington and the presidential campaign trail comes a cocky, multi-part answer: our massive homeland security spending has worked; al-Qaeda is on the run and hiding; and/or the U.S. military is fighting the Islamists in Iraq and Afghanistan so they cannot come to America. There may be a mite of truth in each claim, but the correct answer would be frankly to acknowledge that al-Qaeda would have no trouble mounting the kind of attacks made against Israel in America - guns, cars, militant Muslims, and open borders for other needs are all readily available - but that, at this time, it has no interest in staging Intifada-type attacks in the United States.

There are at least three solid reasons why al-Qaeda is not running an Intifada-like campaign in the United States:

1.) Al-Qaeda does not want to fight the United States for any longer than is needed to drive it as far as possible out of the Middle East, and its doctrine for so doing has, in Osama bin Laden's formulation, three components: (a) bleed America to bankruptcy; (b) spread out U.S. forces to the greatest extent possible; and (c) promote Vietnam-era- like domestic disunity. Based on this doctrine, al-Qaeda leaders have decided that attacks in the United States are only worthwhile if they have maximum and simultaneous impact in three areas: high and enduring economic costs, severe casualties, and lasting negative psychological impact. Such an attack, they believe, would require significant U.S. military participation in the post-attack phase - especially if the weapon used is the nuclear device they have sought since the early 1990s - and thereby reduce the military's ability to operate overseas. They also believe that a greater-than- 9/11 attack would greatly undermine the confidence of Americans in Washington's ability to protect them. (NB: The usually deft Osama bin Laden also has put himself in something of a box regarding another attack in America because he pledged the next attack will be more destructive than 9/11. Paradoxically, a spate of Intifada-type attacks by al-Qaeda in the United States could well be good news because it probably would signal an admission by bin Laden, et. al that they no longer have the capability to match or exceed the attacks of 9/11 inside America.)

2.) Al-Qaeda appears to recognize the huge difference between attacking Israel and attacking the United States. For Palestinian and Hezbollah insurgents, Intifada-style attacks have sufficed; over the decades, the limited number of casualties the Palestinians and Hezbollah have inflicted on Israel's small population has repeatedly won concessions. Suicide attacks, ambushes, and stabbings against America's 300-plus-million population would cause outrage, a few casualties, and some panic, internal confusion, and perhaps limited inter-ethnic- group violence. They would not, however, shift the strategic balance in al-Qaeda's favor. Intifada-style attacks could not satisfy any of al-Qaeda's three-part doctrine: they would not (a) cause U.S. bankruptcy, (b) require large numbers of U.S. troops to clean-up after, or (c) significantly undermine political cohesion. Indeed, there is reason to surmise that al-Qaeda's leaders have concluded that attacks like those used against Israel - which intend to cause deaths of women, children, and the elderly - would unite Americans rather than divide them.

3.) Al-Qaeda leaders probably think, for the moment, that it would be counterproductive to stage any but a larger-than- 9/11 attack in America. Currently, Bin Laden and his senior lieutenants are clearly off balance vis-?-vis the United State because so much substantive success has accrued to al-Qaeda's interests so quickly since 9/11. Neither al-Qaeda nor the Taliban were destroyed in 2001; both escaped with most of their forces largely intact. Each has regrouped, rearmed, and retrained in safe havens in the Pashtun tribal lands that straddle the Pakistan-Afghanista n border. The Pakistan army's incursion into the tribal zone was defeated; the new, less-pro-U.S. government in Islamabad is suing for peace with the tribes; and the Islamization of Pakistan continues unabated. The Muslim world perceives that the U.S. military is being defeated in Iraq and Afghanistan, and has been further alienated by the U.S. treatment of captured mujahedin. Finally, the U.S. economy is slowing, Americans are severely divided over Washington's activities overseas, and none of the three major presidential candidates are likely to drastically alter the foreign policies all polls show are hated by up to 80 percent of Muslims. This embarrassment of riches advances each part of al-Qaeda's doctrine for fighting America - casualties, costs, and disunity - and it has been accumulated without a follow-up-to- 9/11 attack. While bin Laden might well risk this good fortune for a chance to detonate a nuclear device in the United States, he certainly would not risk it now for the sake of shooting up a half-dozen theaters, coffee shops, and pizza parlors.

So, Americans can relax a bit, go to the movies or the mall, and stop afterwards for coffee or pizza without worrying too much about al-Qaeda launching small-scale attacks. For now, Americans should see themselves as being in standby mode for the larger-than- 9/11 attack bin Laden eventually will trigger because the last two U.S. administrations and Senators McCain, Clinton, and Obama have warned about the severe Islamist threat, while knowingly encouraging its worldwide growth by championing status quo foreign policies that degrade U.S. security, as well as by supinely appeasing their Saudi and Israeli masters.

http://www.antiwar. com/scheuer/ ?articleid= 12911

DimeDR

Banned
Re: Why Doesn't al-Qaeda Attack the US?

ive asked the same question for years ... why not suicide bomb starbucks in every big city? its all a scam and hoax, AQ doesnt exist, bin laden is dead etc etc

Munchkin Man

EOG Dedicated

ive asked the same question for years ... why not suicide bomb starbucks in every big city? its all a scam and hoax, AQ doesnt exist, bin laden is dead etc etc

The Munchkin Man would like to remind you of the following now famous movie quote:
_____

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist."
_____

Keyser Soze
The Usual Suspects (1995)

Munchkin Man

The Munchkin Man would like to remind you of the following now famous movie quote:
_____

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist."
_____

Keyser Soze
The Usual Suspects (1995)

Munchkin Man

Didn't that Soze guy get to be Vice President of this country for the last 8 years??:LMAO

Excellent movie though!! Look we DO agree on something!!!
:cheers

Munchkin Man

EOG Dedicated

Excellent movie though!! Look we DO agree on something!!!

Indeed.

The Munchkin Man is pleased to learn that you also give high marks to this movie.

In addition to being Anti GWB's role model, the Munchkin Man is also a mathematician, a theologian, a political analyst, and a film critic.

Best Wishes,

Munchkin Man

Doc Mercer

EOG Master

Munchkin ...

keep inhaling that shit .... at least you are consistent on your postings

DimeDR

Banned

hey MM

if you are going to use movies as a source, the wizard was a humbug and ruby slippers are magic ... plus the keyser used deception just like your neocons gods, so wtf is your point--doofus cubed :)

god isnt dead, mm, he never existed, check ZEITGEIST, you will be chewing your tongue in 30 minutes

HotShotHarvey

EOG Veteran

Al Qaeda wants no part of Israel !! America is a MUCH EASIER target-we do not control either our ports or our borders-Israel does!

DimeDR

Banned

thataboy, High school harvey, the AQ was conceived by the cia, and was run by tim osman, the bush's good pal, but hes long dead now... israel murders children just like the usa, arent you proud :)

(1) They attack/marginalize the messengers. (2) They do no real research. (3) They blindly ask 'Where are the 'Primary Sources'?' (4) They projected their own subjective interpretation of a piece of information by using 'semantic manipulation'

mr merlin

EOG Master

Perhaps we are not attacked because they lack the ability to do so?

HotShotHarvey

EOG Veteran

I'm proud to know an anti-semetic asshole like you! Your Pals, the terrorist Arab scum don't kill innocent women and children,do they??? You're just pissed off that so few Jews can continually kick Arab ass-and for so many years!That's because we're smarter and stronger than them-they spend so much time killing each other(even Lawrence of Arabia couldn't get them to stop) that the Jews always get to kick their asses because they're so tired from killing each other. I bet you're upset that Hitler didn't finish the "JOB',aren't you-you neanderthal?? Anyway-Al-qaeda is just as dumb as the rest of the Arab terror groups-I'm sure Israel will be able to kill Al Qaeda kids,too-After they take out their murderous parents!!!Hopefully-they'll get you one day real soon,Dime Dumb Rube!! In closing-Since when should we hold the CIA as anything but a failed group of little boys and girls continually fucking things up??? Nice job in Iraq,not!!!

HotShotHarvey

EOG Veteran

Oh-Dime tab-at least I finished high school-and graduate school, too! After dropping out of high school-how's that parttime job as a Wal-Mart greeter working out for ya?? Now go to the cleaners and pick up your white hooded sheets for tomorrow's meeting!!

HotShotHarvey

EOG Veteran

Oh-Dime tab-at least I finished high school-and graduate school, too! After dropping out of high school-how's that parttime job as a Wal-Mart greeter working out for ya?? Now go to the cleaners and pick up your white hooded sheets for tomorrow's meeting!!

Doc Mercer

EOG Master

The Brits are trying to pace the USA !!

Source: Guardian, UK

By reputation it's one of the toughest units in the British armed forces, renowned for feats of endurance and derring-do.

But a high-octane recruiting film for the Royal Marines forced the Ministry of Defence into headlong retreat yesterday, after complaints that it portrayed one of the most peaceable countries in Asia as a breeding ground for Islamist terrorists. Officials apologised to Malaysia for the offending video, which was used in cinemas and on the MoD's website until it was withdrawn yesterday.

Read more: http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2008/may/31/military.malay...

How many troops does Israel have in Iraq?? What was their contribution to our War on Terror been?? I seriously can't remember!!

Apple

Banned

Why bomb a starbucks when they could bomb a major bridge or stadium packed with thousands of people? Don't they want to accomplish the maximum damage?

Doc Mercer

EOG Master

Yung:

any odds that Your ass, mine, DimeDr, Stucco and Hotshot are in that
NSA "terror threat" database?

Munchkin Man

EOG Dedicated

god isnt dead, mm, he never existed, check ZEITGEIST, you will be chewing your tongue in 30 minutes

No thanks.

The Munchkin Man will stick to The Holy Bible instead.

Besides, the Munchkin Man would rather chew his tongue during his remaining days on earth than to go somewhere where there is going to be weeping, wailing, and gnashing of teeth for eternity.

Munchkin Man

I'm proud to know an anti-semetic asshole like you! Your Pals, the terrorist Arab scum don't kill innocent women and children,do they??? You're just pissed off that so few Jews can continually kick Arab ass-and for so many years!That's because we're smarter and stronger than them-they spend so much time killing each other(even Lawrence of Arabia couldn't get them to stop) that the Jews always get to kick their asses because they're so tired from killing each other. I bet you're upset that Hitler didn't finish the "JOB',aren't you-you neanderthal?? Anyway-Al-qaeda is just as dumb as the rest of the Arab terror groups-I'm sure Israel will be able to kill Al Qaeda kids,too-After they take out their murderous parents!!!Hopefully-they'll get you one day real soon,Dime Dumb Rube!! In closing-Since when should we hold the CIA as anything but a failed group of little boys and girls continually fucking things up??? Nice job in Iraq,not!!!

(1) They attack/marginalize the messengers. (2) They do no real research. (3) They blindly ask 'Where are the 'Primary Sources'?' (4) They projected their own subjective interpretation of a piece of information by using 'semantic manipulation'

the glue

EOG Veteran

I have work as a longshoremen now for 13 yrs.In just this pass year they have started to make us walk through turn stile as if we are the terrorist,and the mates on the ship still come and go as they please, through no turn stile.Something is seriously wrong....HOME LAND SECURITY IS A JOKE.....

Yung:

any odds that Your ass, mine, DimeDr, Stucco and Hotshot are in that
NSA "terror threat" database?

I've OFTEN thought about shit like that!! You know we've been swept up in the "keyword dragnet" that was made allowable by the "Patriot" Act!!!
But I don't care!! Can't Nobody Take My Pride, Can't Nobody HOLD ME DOWN.......Oh NO.......I GOT TO Keep on MOV-IN!!!

Doc Mercer

EOG Master

Dirty most likely is EOG's version of "Songbird"

"Listen Cherty ... I know that Yungbuck did state on May 2oth of this
year that Cheney could fuck himself ...."

Doc Mercer

EOG Master

What the fuck you laughing about?

I know Dirty has you stating on March 11th:

"Tell Bush I am willing to stick my 2nd Amendment up his ass if he
will bend over like he does in Bulldog Gannon's presence .."

Perhaps we are not attacked because they lack the ability to do so?

a report was just put out by the CIA saying:

<HEADLINE>Al-Qaeda is near defeat, says CIA

<!--articleTools Top--><BYLINE>Jim Mannion in Washington</BYLINE>
<DATE></DATE>

<!--bylineDetails-->
<!--articleDetails--><SMALL></SMALL>

<!--articleExtras-wrap--><BOD></BOD>AL-QAEDA is near defeat in Iraq and Saudi Arabia and on the defensive even in its safe havens along the Afghan-Pakistani border, CIA chief Michael Hayden said in an interview published yesterday.
The assessment was one of the most upbeat by a top intelligence official since the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks and a sharp change in tone less than a year after US intelligence agencies warned that a revitalised al-Qaeda was plotting attacks against the West.
"On balance, we are doing pretty well," Mr Hayden told The Washington Post, while warning that al-Qaeda remains a serious threat.
The list of accomplishments, he said, includes: "Near strategic defeat of al-Qaeda in Iraq. Near strategic defeat for al-Qaeda in Saudi Arabia. Significant setbacks for al-Qaeda globally - and here I'm going to use the word 'ideologically' - as a lot of the Islamic world pushes back on their form of Islam."
The comments came as a posting on jihadist website al-Hesbah threatened an attack bigger than September 11 before President George Bush leaves office, according to the SITE intel group.
Analysts said al-Qaeda's safe havens in Pakistan have grown larger, not smaller, in the past year, even in the face of stepped-up attacks by unmanned US aircraft.
"I think that the Administration very much wants to paint a picture of success, particularly as it gets close to the end of eight years," said Bruce Riedel, a former CIA analyst now with the Brookings Institution. "So I'm not surprised we're seeing an effort to portray it in the most optimistic possible way."
Al-Qaeda leaders Osama bin Laden and Ayman al-Zawahiri remain at large.

now we, as Americans, should all celebrate this fact...no matter where you stand, a terrorist organization in the process of being defeated is something to be happy about

mr merlin

EOG Master

Damn right tar - we have done an amazingly good job at thwarting their efforts - cudos to the us intelligence services.

Doc Mercer

EOG Master

The CIA now has "credibility"???

:LMAO:LMAO:LMAO:LMAO:LMAO:LMAO:LMAO:LMAO:LMAO:LMAO

Doc Mercer

EOG Master

LIE #4: "[The CIA possesses] solid reporting of senior-level contacts between Iraq and al-Qaeda going back a decade." -- CIA Director George Tenet in a written statement released Oct. 7, 2002 and echoed in that evening's speech by President Bush.

FACT: Intelligence agencies knew of tentative contacts between Saddam and al-Qaeda in the early '90s, but found no proof of a continuing relationship. In other words, by tweaking language, Tenet and Bush spun the intelligence180 degrees to say exactly the opposite of what it suggested.

Doc Mercer

EOG Master

LIE #10: "Yes, we found a biological laboratory in Iraq which the UN prohibited." -- President Bush in remarks in Poland, published internationally June 1, 2003.

FACT: This was reference to the discovery of two modified truck trailers that the CIA claimed were potential mobile biological weapons lab. But British and American experts -- including the State Department's intelligence wing in a report released this week -- have since declared this to be untrue. According to the British, and much to Prime Minister Tony Blair's embarrassment, the trailers are actually exactly what Iraq said they were; facilities to fill weather balloons, sold to them by the British themselves.

DimeDR

Banned

its "kudos" merlin ... and AQ is a phantom entirely CIA created and hasnt done a damn thing ever in USA

for once you prove they have :)

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" width="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">Dime
another conspiracy theorist..

enjoy your life of blogging and hoping to find more conspiracies.
</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Doc Mercer

EOG Master

He cant ...

Malkin doesnt accept IMs on the weekends on how to counter them
big bad "conspiracy types" that are destroying this country