Are the Voters Qualified to Pick a President?

Perspective ~ Are the Voters Qualified to Pick a President?
By Sheldon Richman

The big political buzz is over whether John McCain, Hillary Clinton, and Barack Obama are qualified to be president. The voters are expected to decide, but are they qualified to do that?

How would voters know who is up to this job? They might try to make a judgment on the basis of character. But that won?t get them far since most of what they know about the candidates? characters is the result of the theatrics we call campaigning. Voters get their impressions through the careful efforts of image consultants and media experts who make liberal use of focus groups.

Considering that political platforms consist of unkeepable promises, no candidate should score high in the character category anyway.

But character isn?t the only criterion people use. Competence is another one. Here the theory of representative government really runs into trouble. A president today is expected to ?run the economy.? How would voters know if a candidate -- any candidate -- is competent to do that? Does being a senator, governor, successful business person, or an effective campaigner demonstrate one?s capacity to manage a $15 trillion economy?

To answer that question, the voters would have to know something about economics. Uh-oh.

Most voters know nothing about how markets work -- or even that they work -- and how government tends to sabotage them. As I?ve noted before, Bryan Caplan?s book, The Myth of the Rational Voter, well documents the widespread ignorance about economic principles. Public-opinion surveys unfailingly demonstrate that most people believe, as articles of faith, that 1) profitable market exchange is a zero-sum activity (one person?s gain is another person?s loss), 2) foreigners bearing goods and services are threats, 3) job preservation is good and job destruction bad, and 4) bad economic news counts more than good economic news. The inconsequential nature of a single vote and the costlessness of casting a feel-good vote guarantee that most individuals will have no incentive to examine their economic biases before voting.

Here?s the problem for democratic theory: If most people hold these demonstrably incorrect views, how can they be qualified to elect a president? They have no way to sort destructive or impossible promises from reasonable ones.

As long as presidents have the power to meddle in the economy (which means meddle with us) and are expected to do so, voters ignorant of economics are unlikely to make good decisions. Incompetent voters assure incompetent candidates and officeholders.

Most of the promises candidates make are about economic matters. Two candidates today promise to obstruct trade across the Mexican and Canadian borders because consumers? freedom to accept the best offer allegedly has eliminated manufacturing jobs in Ohio. (The candidates of course are not candid enough to blame consumer freedom, but that?s what they mean.)

If voters don?t understand markets, economic incentives, and the perverse dynamics of government interference, how can they judge those promises?

The answer is they can?t. Enthusiasts of representative democracy typically assume the existence of informed voters. But being truly informed means more than regularly watching the news, reading a newspaper, and browsing the candidates? websites. It requires more than ?caring.? Being informed means understanding basic economics*grasping, for starters, the contents of Henry Hazlitt?s Economics in One Lesson, Leonard Read?s ?I, Pencil,? and Fr?d?ric Bastiat?s ?What Is Seen and What Is Unseen.?

In other words, a truly informed person must understand that no one can be qualified to be president because no one can do what a president is expected and empowered to do.

Until that sort of informed person predominates, I will shudder at ?get out the vote? campaigns.
<hr>

Local-government efforts at revitalizing downtowns have been astounding*if their goal was to create commercial ghost towns. J. H. Huebert reports on an all-too-common urban phenomenon.

The free market can be counted on to penalize firms that prefer rigid bureaucratic management to entrepreneurial dynamism. But what happens when government intervention tilts the field in favor of bureaucracy? Kevin Carson looks at the consequences of the mixed economy and what might have been.

States are beginning to outlaw payday-lending businesses. Do the bans protect the poor from predatory lending or merely deprive them of one of the few options they have left? George Leef isn?t surprised by the results.

The lust for power has been present in every age, even during the American founding and early years of the republic. Joseph Stromberg has some overlooked facts about a romanticized age.

In this era of pervasive government, it?s good to be reminded that people working outside the political realm can do some amazing things. James Payne has one such reminder.

Civil contempt of court is a charge that few people give any thought to. But as Wendy McElroy reports, it?s responsible for the revival of the debtors? prison in America.

Why are the opponents of free markets so much better at making their case visually than libertarians are? Joseph Packer has a wake-up call for the freedom movement.

The conventional wisdom says countries import, reluctantly, so they can export. That?s ridiculous, says Norman Van Cott. Our columnists have brewed up the following: Richard Ebeling revisits the postwar German ?economic miracle.? Donald Boudreaux explains why he won?t vote. Stephen Davies looks at the role of migration in history. John Stossel says no president can manage an economy. David Henderson shows how markets minimize irrational discrimination. And Gene Callahan, reading the claim that we will have to lower our living standards to help the poor countries, ripostes, ?It Just Ain?t So!?

Our dogged reviewers scrutinize books on globalization, the modern libertarian movement, guns in America, and Europe?s economic history.

http://www.fee. org/publications /the-freeman/ article.asp? aid=8262

Re: Are the Voters Qualified to Pick a President?

Great article RD
I have no problem with making citizens take a test
before they vote. They would at the least have to
prove a basic understanding or economics, our government,
current events and history.

just my 2 cents

Great article RD
I have no problem with making citizens take a test
before they vote. They would at the least have to
prove a basic understanding or economics, our government,
current events and history.

just my 2 cents

Ok, Roscoe let me ask you this...

WHO would come up with the questions on the test?

Just your opinion, lets say the test WAS completely fair and "balanced" in it's questions (as close to a math examination as you could get), who's voters do you think would fail at a higher rate, those that vote for D's or those that vote for R's?

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" width="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">Would love to see a test
of course no way people like doc or dime would pass which makes it even better
</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<table id="HB_Mail_Container" unselectable="on" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" height="100%" width="100%"><tbody><tr width="100%" unselectable="on" height="100%"><td id="HB_Focus_Element" unselectable="off" background="" height="250" valign="top" width="100%">Would love to see a test
of course no way people like doc or dime would pass which makes it even better
</td></tr><tr unselectable="on" hb_tag="1"><td style="font-size: 1pt;" unselectable="on" height="1">
</td></tr></tbody></table>

Care to submit a sample question for the test, KT?

mr merlin

EOG Master

To view yourself as more capable and intelligent to "choose" a president is typicle human vanity ( I suffer from it too), perhaps a better question is does it matter who is president? I know my life has been barely affected by Bush and I doubt there would be much change with Obama.

Doc Mercer

EOG Master

Ktb ... Really?

EDUCATE one and all on the following:

CFR Docs
NAU
AMERODOLLAR
PNAC
OPERATION NORTHWOODS

You voted for Bush 2 times? Enough said about your "capacity" for passing
any test required to be eligible for voting

Just your opinion, lets say the test WAS completely fair and "balanced" in it's questions (as close to a math examination as you could get), who's voters do you think would fail at a higher rate, those that vote for D's or those that vote for R's?

the name isn't roscoe but close......

But you ask a very good and fair question.....
It would be ok with me for each and every party
in the US, and that would include the Green, the Communist etc
hell any of them could submit 5 questions from economics,
history, civics, and current event US/Foreign.
How hard would they want to make it? It would be interesting.
On the other hand, it would be fun to see those kids from the
"Are You Smarter than a Fifth Grader" submit the questions.

the name isn't roscoe but close......

But you ask a very good and fair question.....
It would be ok with me for each and every party
in the US, and that would include the Green, the Communist etc
hell any of them could submit 5 questions from economics,
history, civics, and current event US/Foreign.
How hard would they want to make it? It would be interesting.
On the other hand, it would be fun to see those kids from the
"Are You Smarter than a Fifth Grader" submit the questions.

that is not a serious answer but probably just as good as any

as far as who would pass/fail at a higher rate? Who the hell would know?
Would be nice to find out.

HotShotHarvey

EOG Veteran

Get rid of the electoral college -that's a start-and don't allow people who watch Nascar vote-or people living in Appalachia-they couldn't pass a test for voting purposes anyway, unless it was about their guns or their church!!! oh---and no bitter folks whose jobs were sent overseas can vote, either!! Guess that leaves out most of the right-wing loons who post here!!Good!!

mr merlin

EOG Master

You're not much of a "hot shot", you're more of a harvey!

As long as the 2004 Presidential Election is used as your measuring stick, the average voter must poopy his pants 2-3/week and watches "Barney" the Purple Dinosaur and Blues Clues!!!!

:LMAO

HotShotHarvey said:
and don't allow people who watch Nascar vote-or pe
BTW, HotShot, I watch Nascar on a fairly consistent basis and I'M CERTAINLY Qualified to vote!!!
I cannot speak for a lot of my neighbors, and I must admit, it has been very upsetting driving around
my home state that started ALL this carnage by not carrying itself for its' favorite son, AL Gore,
in the 2000 Presidential Election!!! Had so many of my IDIOT Statesmen not went off the crazy
coff-syrup ride with the Oral Roberts Wannabes who were duping them so they could overthrow
democracies and fight old-style CIA cuop de ta's with the National Guard fronting the line!!!!

:hung

Doc Mercer

EOG Master

Yeah Munchkin ...

you in charge of the questions would be like Brittany Spears running a day care center

Munchkin Man

EOG Dedicated

Yeah Munchkin ...

you in charge of the questions would be like Brittany Spears running a day care center

Even Britney Spears would get a higher grade on the Munchkin Man's test than you would.

Munchkin Man

Doc Mercer

EOG Master

Coming from someone like yourself who claims to hear voices from
God ...

Gosh ... such a loss not to get your support

Head back to your breakfast of bong hits and Jack Daniels shots

Doc Mercer

EOG Master

Ironmike:

2004 proved that

Bushies thought Kerry was "weak on defv ...." not having any idea that Cheney wanted to cut the same exact systems as Sect of Defense and
Bush CIA Appointee Goss wanted to cut human intelligence by 20% in
the late 90s

ironmike67

EOG Senior Member

No 2004 proved both pres. canidates were aholes! Most of our fellow voters are complete numbskulls! We get what we deserve!

Doc Mercer

EOG Master

There was no diffc between Bush and Kerry ...

Kerry was a fuckin wimp for letting fatass O'Neill and the Swift Boat liars
come after him on a daily basis

Soooo .... here we goooo:

McSame - 4 more years of failed Bush policies and so clueless on Economics
he brings in Enron "mole" Phil Gramm as his "economic" advisor

Obama - Closest advisor ?? CFRer !!!

I understand now why folks like Dawg are attracted to 3rd party folks

D's and R's are 2 sides of the same coin. They spend MOST of their time trying to convince us that there is a difference between them. If there WAS such a difference, they wouldn't have to convince us that there is.

stifflers mom

EOG Enthusiast

from an outsider looking in

NO

the majority of voters in the US have no business choosing who will be leading the free world.

let's call it like it is. when choosing the president of the US you're essentially choosing the the course and direction the WHOLE world will be going in.

when you can't find Iraq on a map how the hell can you have a voice on what will happen to that nation?

and let's be honest here we're living in 2008 and every election the issue of abortion and gay rights come into play. if you didn't know any better you'd think it was 1895