10 Seconds Left In Game 1 NBA Finals: What do u do if you were Coach?

4th quarter..

The score is 89-86 CELTICS...

The LAKERS have the ball with 10 seconds left on the clock...

Time out Celtics..

BOTH TEAMS are in the penalty situation regarding Free throws...

You are the COACH for Boston, Doc Rivers...

You have NO MORE time outs after this one...

What do you tell your team to do?

THE SHRINK

raycabino

Long Live Wilson!
Re: 10 Seconds Left In Game 1 NBA Finals: What do u do if you were Coach?

Pray that the assassin doesn't assassinate them.:LMAO

MadCapper

Head <in> Moderation

Play defense. Dont foul. But overplay the 3.

Having no timeouts kills you in this situation.

If you foul the Lakers and they hit 2 ft's then you are under immense pressure to make a good inbounds pass.

Furthermore, 10 seconds is an eternity in the NBA.

If there were 5 seconds left then I would say foul.

Junior

EOG Veteran

DON'T foul, let it play out, play tough Defense guard against the "3" and let the chips fall where they may.:houra

If you foul the Lakers and they hit 2 ft's then you are under immense pressure to make a good inbounds pass.

That's one reason I chose 10 seconds rather than 5...:+textinb3

MadCapper

Head <in> Moderation

BTW-

Why the hell did the Celtics use their final timeout being up 89-86 with the Lakers in possession?

You would assume the lakers were the ones taking a timeout here.

Bad timeout management!!

A LAKER player made a spectacular dive for a loose ball and was going to land out of bounds but called a TO instead of a turnover...

Great timeout management!!!

The Celtics can't call a time out with LA in possession of the ball unless it is a dead ball of some sort.

Section VII-Regular Timeout-100/60 Seconds A player's request for a timeout shall be granted only when the ball is dead or in control of the team making the request. A request at any other time shall be ignored.

Section VI-20-Second Timeout
A player's request for a 20-second timeout shall be granted only when the ball is dead or in control of the team making the request. A request at any other time shall be ignored.

OK,

Tim Donaghee was one of the REFS or...

It was a dead ball Time out...

Now what? :+clueless

MadCapper

Head <in> Moderation

A Celtic player made a spectacular dive for a loose ball and was going to land out of bounds but called a TO instead of a turnover...

Great timeout management!!!

Then it wouldnt be Lakers ball.

MadCapper

Head <in> Moderation

OK,

It was a dead ball Time out...

Now what? :+clueless

The scenario wouldnt work.

Team with the lead wouldnt call their final timeout up 3 with 10 seconds left when the other team will be in possession of the ball.

That would be insane timeout management.

But if DOC would be dumb enough to use his final timeout here, I hope he would tell them to:

NOT foul!

If you foul the Lakers and they hit 2 ft's then you are under immense pressure to make a good inbounds pass, with no remaining timeouts.

Edited to be less confusing...:finger004

OK, then how about the LAKERS used a Time out...

Is that BETTER?

Of course, but I would try to lose as much of the clock as possible.

Finally someone attempting to answer the question and not shoot the messenger...:cheers

Can you be a tad more specific?

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!

I would foul because it is MUCH harder to: Make the 1st FT then miss the 2nd FT and get the rebound than it is to hit a Trey and the team that hits the Trey has all the "Mo" headed into OT

FOUL

as simple as it gets

Celtics coach:

"Since you guys don't listen to me anyway, go do what you think. We should probably take Game 1, but if not, we play again in a couple of days. If we lose the game, please act unhappy for the TV cameras. If we lose the series, we'll come back next year and make millions more. It's all good! Now, where is everybody going drinking tonight?"

I would foul because it is MUCH harder to: Make the 1st FT then miss the 2nd FT and get the rebound than it is to hit a Trey and the team that hits the Trey has all the "Mo" headed into OT

FOUL

as simple as it gets

we agree...

raycabino

Long Live Wilson!

Finally someone attempting to answer the question and not shoot the messenger...:cheers

Can you be a tad more specific?
Put it this way, I thought the Celtics fouling with 8 seconds left up by 3 vs Det was bad. I would start fouling at 5 seconds.

cassiusclay

EOG Master

it depends on who they in bound the ball to, that would greatly affect what i would do and if the lakers were making or missing free throws and 3's all game. just my 2 cents.

raycabino

Long Live Wilson!

FOUL

as simple as it gets
But you don't have to miss the 2nd with just under 10 seconds. You turn it into a ft shooting contest fouling that early. I would get the clock down to at least 5 seconds before fouling. Worse case scenario if not fouling before 5 seconds is the Lakers hit the 3 and you still have at least 5 seconds to score yourself.

cassiusclay

EOG Master

so much could happen in 10 seconds, loose ball foul, offensive turn over, defensive steal, travelling, the only thing that would change my mind is who had the ball on the inbound pass and if the ball was inbounded from the back court.

cassiusclay

EOG Master

10 seconds left, up 3 ... do you foul?

Coaches wrestle with concept during crunch time in big games

By BRIAN LANDMAN
ST. PETERSBURG TIMES
Xavier coach Sean Miller goes over the situation time and time again in practice.
How could he not, given how his Musketeers seemed on the cusp of a bracket-busting upset of No. 1 seed and No. 1-ranked Ohio State in the second round of last year's NCAA Tournament?
They led 62-59 with 9.3 seconds left, but, after a missed free throw, Ohio State's red-hot forward Ron Lewis swished a contested, NBA-range 3-pointer with two seconds to go that forced overtime. With that reprieve, the Buckeyes went on to win 78-71 and eventually reached the NCAA final.
What if Miller had told his players to foul before the shot, denying a chance at a tying 3-pointer? Would the Buckeyes have been able to make the first free throw, miss the second intentionally, control the rebound and get off a shot to tie or win the game?
"We've certainly gone over that and gone over that," Miller said. "It all comes down to, as a coach, what you feel comfortable doing. It's a philosophy you have to have."
As this year's NCAA Tournament is about to begin, it appears an increasing number of coaches, perhaps influenced by Xavier's less-than-shining moment, are screaming, "Foul!"
Consider two recent examples:
Up 85-82 at home against South Carolina on Feb. 20, Florida coach Billy Donovan had Jai Lucas foul Devan Downey with 2.2 seconds left. Downey missed the first one, and the Gators rebounded it to end the game.
In the most anticipated showdown of the season three nights later, Tennessee coach Bruce Pearl didn't hesitate to have his team, up three, foul Memphis to preserve the No. 2-ranked Volunteers' win against the top-ranked and last undefeated team.
ESPN analyst Dick Vitale has been a longtime advocate of the strategy, confounded by coaches who don't use it.
"I know there are different philosophies, but I know what mine would be: Never, ever let them shoot the 3; it's too high of a percentage (shot)," he said. "And I think the percentage gets even higher late in the game because there's so much focus and concentration, and usually it's the best guy who's going to get the ball to shoot it. I'm going to absolutely put them on the foul line like Bruce Pearl did. There are too many special things that have to happen to lose the game."
For Pearl, ahead 64-61 with eight seconds to go, it came down to simple math.
"You've got to make one play. One play," he said. "If you foul, they've got to make three or four plays.
"I told them in the huddle: 'In all likelihood, they're going to foul us,' " Memphis coach John Calipari said. "We were ready. We work on that ..."
Derrick Rose made the first free throw and missed the second as planned. Tennessee's Chris Lofton snared the rebound and made two clinching free throws.
One pitfall: What if the foul occurs as a 3-pointer is shot?
Pearl instructed Ramar Smith to foul Rose just as he crossed midcourt to make sure that wouldn't happen. But the same day, South Carolina led Mississippi State 50-47 with 6.1 seconds left. Coach Dave Odom wanted a foul, but his player was tentative, and the Gamecocks eventually fouled Ben Hansbrough on a 3-point try. He hit all three free throws with 1.1 seconds left, and the Bulldogs won 61-56 in overtime.
"We work on it some but not nearly enough," Odom conceded. "One of the problems in college versus the NBA is that in the NBA, players can literally wrap their arms around the offensive player and not get called for an intentional foul.
"In college, you make that kind of wrap-around motion just to cover the guy, not to hurt him, (and) you're likely to get an intentional foul, which would give two shots and the ball. That, in part, discourages that particular tactic from being used as much as you'd think you'd see it. You've got to have a little courage to do that but I think it's a better tactic."
Another risk is a scenario Donovan has never forgotten.
While an assistant at Kentucky in 1993, the No. 2 Wildcats were up 77-74 and elected to foul Tennessee's Allan Houston with 4.9 seconds left. Houston made the first free throw and intentionally misfired on the second. Tennessee's Corey Allen not only controlled the rebound and hit a short jumper, he also drew a foul and hit his free throw with 1.5 seconds left for a 78-77 win.
"I think you can make an argument that it's good to foul in that situation, and you can probably make the argument to let them take the Hail Mary shot, play the chances," Donovan said.
You can bet the choice will come up during the NCAA Tournament.
"It's never as simple as, 'Let's foul so they can't win,' " Miller said. "But there's no question that is something that we would consider doing it if we felt comfortable with the time left. It makes sense to think that way because so many of our players have been scarred watching that ball go in."

Almost Allright

GO Bucks!!!

Foul....the Celtics did this and did it well versus Detroit. As a coach in game end situations you MUST go with what you know your team can execute. And Rivers has recently seen his team handle this situation flawlessly. What more can you ask for in a pressure situation.

HotShotHarvey

EOG Veteran

Seems Madcapper and Junior have it right! Just one question here,Shrink....If the Lakers have the ball with 10 seconds left....how do the Celtics call time out without possession of the ball? Just asking. Did I miss something here??? Could have!

Apple

Banned

I wouldn't foul not with 10 seconds left. Would be too afraid of a Laker player hitting the first FT and misses the second and getting the rebound.. Man to Man defense