Pretty good football team here!

Journeyman

EOG Master
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hf3lhNNUGyo&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hf3lhNNUGyo&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Re: Pretty good football team here!

I'm a little misty over this. the finest team, the finest organization and ownership in the NFL. That is, of course, my unbiased opinion.

I had already seen that, but thanks for posting it - quite the day brightener for this lifetime Steeler fan. :cheers

Journeyman

EOG Master

The 1970's Steelers were the best team ever assembled. Sprinkle in players like Woodson, Ward, Troy, Lloyd...just awesome all over the field.

Have to go with the '85 Bears as the best one-year team. The Patriots of last year might have been the best offense ever, but the '85 Bears just had it all. The 46 defense, Sweetness, the Fridge coming in on the goal line offense, Jim McMahon with the headbands.

Have to go with the '85 Bears as the best one-year team. The Patriots of last year might have been the best offense ever, but the '85 Bears just had it all. The 46 defense, Sweetness, the Fridge coming in on the goal line offense, Jim McMahon with the headbands.
See video in post No. 1 and re-evaluate this answer. :cheers

Doc Mercer

EOG Master

People forget how many HOFers the Packers had from that 3 straight Championship teams in the 60s:

Gregg
Starr
Nitschke
Adderly
Davis
Hornung
Wood
Jordan
Taylor

Steelers also had 9 players now in the HOF from that run in the 70s

People forget how many HOFers the Packers had from that 3 straight Championship teams in the 60s:

Gregg
Starr
Nitschke
Adderly
Davis
Hornung
Wood
Jordan
Taylor

Steelers also had 9 players now in the HOF from that run in the 70s

Now we're talking. :cheers

janus

EOG Dedicated

See post #6

truth is, post #6 talks about eras, not teams. # of superbowl wins over an era has nothing to do with the strength of any individual team, and no team lasts longer than a single season. there's no doubt the 70s era steelers were better than the 80s era bears, but the 85 bears were as dominant a single-season team as the NFL has ever seen.

5 star bomb

EOG Master

truth is, post #6 talks about eras, not teams. # of superbowl wins over an era has nothing to do with the strength of any individual team, and no team lasts longer than a single season. there's no doubt the 70s era steelers were better than the 80s era bears, but the 85 bears were as dominant a single-season team as the NFL has ever seen.

Bingo... 85 Bears best single team ever. Its not even a contest

Doc Mercer

EOG Master

One of 2 Super Bowl rings Jim McMahon has ...

lot of folks forget he backed up Favre on that 96 Packers team

Reno Paul

EOG Dedicated

I'm biased, but I think my 49ers of the 80's were up there as well. Especially the '89 version when they demolished the Broncos in the Super Bowl. They were a dynasty. They were pretty good up until the mid to late 90's as well until the salary cap messed things up. I can lay claim to say that they were the best team ever.

That statement is not entirely accurate. Team nowadays dont' remain the same for much more than a season, but the key players remained on the Steelers team for all four Super Bowls and as a fairly cohesive unit became know as the team of the '70s.

Check out the 75th anniversary NFL team. Many of the players from that Steeler team received that honor. Only one from the '85 Bears made the cut: His sweetness, Walter Peyton.

janus

EOG Dedicated

That statement is not entirely accurate. Team nowadays dont' remain the same for much more than a season, but the key players remained on the Steelers team for all four Super Bowls and as a fairly cohesive unit became know as the team of the '70s.

Check out the 75th anniversary NFL team. Many of the players from that Steeler team received that honor. Only one from the '85 Bears made the cut: His sweetness, Walter Peyton.

my statement is entirely accurate, and unbiased by fanaticism. "which... team..was...the...best..?" without spin or bias, the answer is easy.

"but over a 2 year stretch..." ....not.

"but over a 3 year stretch..." ....not.

"but over a 4 year stretch..." ....not.

1 year, 1 team, who was the best?

75th anniversary blah blah blah, ok, that tells alot.

"the team of the 70s"... last i checked, that was an era.

bottom line: which single year steelers team was better than the 85 bears?

bottom line: which single year steelers team was better than the 85 bears?

My point was that the teams on all four of the super bowls were virutally the same. However, if you must, I'll take the '75 Steerlers. Pittsburgh's defense held the Vikings to just 119 total offensive yards, still a Super Bowl record that stands 32 championships later.

Journeyman

EOG Master

We're talking whole 70's baby!

The 76 team was a special team as well, best defensive effort of them all and that s saying a lot.

No not from Pitt

We're talking whole 70's baby!

The 76 team was a special team as well, best defensive effort of them all and that s saying a lot.

No not from Pitt

I tried the "whole '70s" thing but Janus isn't buying it and well, 5 star is studdering.

I am originally from Pittsburgh. I have a Terrible Towel and you do not want to be around me when the Steelers are playing. I write an NFL picks column and I never, ever pick against the Steelers. My sports editor practically begs me to, but I can't.

My parents moved here when I graduated college. I stayed in Florida for a year, then moved here. I really like it, but I miss the ocean a lot. I hope to move back someday.
Where do you live?