trainer Rick Dutrow blames Kent Desormeaux`s ride

michael777

EOG Dedicated
Trainer: Jockey is all I can come up with to explain Big Brown loss
June 10, 2008
CBSSports.com wire reports

NEW YORK -- Trainer Rick Dutrow Jr. still blames Kent Desormeaux for Big Brown's stunning last-place finish in the Belmont Stakes, but he wouldn't object to the jockey riding the horse in his next race.

The decision of whether to change jockeys is up to co-owner Michael Iavarone, Dutrow said.

"I don't want to hurt anyone, especially Kent," Dutrow told the Associated Press on Tuesday morning in his barn at Aqueduct. "But I still don't understand what happened. I don't see the horse with a problem, so I have to direct my attention toward the ride. That's all I can come up with."

With Big Brown trying to become the first Triple Crown champion in 30 years after dominant wins in the Kentucky Derby and Preakness, Desormeaux eased up the unbeaten colt with a quarter-mile remaining in the Belmont on Saturday.

"I had no horse. He was empty," Desormeaux said after the race.

Dutrow insisted Tuesday he had found nothing wrong with Big Brown.

"Maybe next week if something starts going wrong with the horse, then I'll understand everything," he said.

Dutrow added: "As long as the horse stays the way that I see him right now, then things are just going to keep building up for me to know that it was the ride that did him in."

He said he hadn't spoken to Desormeaux, but "if he calls me I'll talk to him, sure."

If Big Brown is healthy, the plan is for him to run next in the Travers Stakes on Aug. 23 at Saratoga.

Dutrow had no regrets about his bombastic proclamation that Big Brown clinching the Triple Crown was a "foregone conclusion."

"It's not like I'm going to go and cry in the corner," he said as he prepared for several of his horses to run Wednesday at Aqueduct. "I've got plenty to do here."

AP NEWS
The Associated Press News Service

Re: trainer Rick Dutrow blames Kent Desormeaux`s ride

I heard about this on ESPN today and saw the quotes. This guy is a real ass for blaming this on Desormeaux.

sl55

EOG Veteran

Got to agree,he ran that horse on the outside way too long.Brown was out of gas coming into the last turn.

cassiusclay

EOG Master

I heard about this on ESPN today and saw the quotes. This guy is a real ass for blaming this on Desormeaux.

reload....what other reason could it be? the only other thing i have read was that the track conditions were a little unusual.

cheapseats

EOG Master

Until the horse can speak english and tell Dutrow what happened, he should just shut the FK UP.

reload....what other reason could it be? the only other thing i have read was that the track conditions were a little unusual.

I think we haven't seen the last of the whole story. Time will tell. We should be able to figure more out the next time Big Brown races - if he does.

All I know is, he breezes through the Kentucky Derby and Preakness. As soon as he came out of the gate for the Belmont, the horse's head is going side to side. I haven't seen much happen like that on a dead favorite before.

Something was up with the horse - a bad day, the heat, maybe not enough left in the tank after big recent performances, maybe too much overconfidence from Dutrow before the race. Lots of reasons are out there.

I didn't see any point where Kent made too early of a move. Despite the start where it looked tough to control Big Brown, he had him in a good spot to take it. But he had nothing when the time came. The jockey can only do so much.

OMNIVOROUS FROG

EOG Master

Big Brown beat the horse that won by 20+ lengths earlier. I think in Fla. When he was on. It looked to me he was far from on at the Belmont, even out of the gate. He was a lightly raced three year old that gave dominant performances up until short rest. Kent could have done things differently, but I doubt it would have mattered. Dutrow is just an ass. If anything, it is his fault for training him wrong. These horses are being bred to win at 2-3 and then fall apart fast. I am shocked they are running him again, what's the point? This is why the Triple Crown has not been done in how many years? These horses just no longer have what it takes to win three straight grueling races. Especially in 5 weeks. John Henry where are you?

OF...:cheers

VegasDave31

EOG Enthusiast

So funny, two days ago I spent 10 minutes on my podcast talking about how it was Desormeaux's fault!

VegasDave31

EOG Enthusiast

<div>
<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,0,0" width="210" height="25" id="mp3playerlightsmallv3" align="middle">
<param name="allowScriptAccess" value="sameDomain" />
<param name="movie" value="http://www.podbean.com/podcast-audio-video-blog-player/mp3playerlightsmallv3.swf?audioPath=http://vegasdavesdime.podbean.com/medias/play/aHR0cDovL21lZGlhNS5wb2RiZWFuLmNvbS82NzAwNC91L0RhdmVzRGltZTYwODA4Lm1wMw/DavesDime60808.mp3&autoStart=no" />
<param name="quality" value="high" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#ffffff" /><param name="wmode" value="transparent" />
<embed src="http://www.podbean.com/podcast-audio-video-blog-player/mp3playerlightsmallv3.swf?audioPath=http://vegasdavesdime.podbean.com/medias/play/aHR0cDovL21lZGlhNS5wb2RiZWFuLmNvbS82NzAwNC91L0RhdmVzRGltZTYwODA4Lm1wMw/DavesDime60808.mp3&autoStart=no" quality="high" width="210" height="25" name="mp3playerlightsmallv3" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" /></embed>
</object>
<br /><a style="font-family: arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 11px; font-weight: normal; padding-left: 41px; color: #2DA274; text-decoration: none; border-bottom: none;" href="http://www.podbean.com">Powered by Podbean.com</a>
</div>

<OBJECT id=mp3playerlightsmallv3 codeBase=http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,0,0 height=25 width=210 align=middle classid=clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000>

</p>

<embed src="http://www.podbean.com/podcast-audio-video-blog-player/mp3playerlightsmallv3.swf?audioPath=http://vegasdavesdime.podbean.com/medias/play/aHR0cDovL21lZGlhNS5wb2RiZWFuLmNvbS82NzAwNC91L0RhdmVzRGltZTYwODA4Lm1wMw/DavesDime60808.mp3&autoStart=no" quality="high" width="210" height="25" name="mp3playerlightsmallv3" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" /></embed>
</OBJECT>

Powered by Podbean.com

So funny, two days ago I spent 10 minutes on my podcast talking about how it was Desormeaux's fault!

:sleeping: :sleeping2:

SSI

EOG Dedicated

he held him back,,,, on the back stretch... wouldnt let him go.... i hate to blame kent but i think he did him no favors..

mr merlin

EOG Master

He jerked him back and forth at the start and held him back on the back stretch when the horse wanted to run. Most jockeys are dirty and obviously something was up. Desormeoux's probably in trouble with the mob and was forced to lose.

Thor4140

EOG Dedicated

I can think of one. The tremendous amount of money that the books won on that race. Gamblin gods don't give a dick about studding horses. Why didn't he even try for third? He just gave up. These horse races are even more rigged then the nba. I heard an outside source say the jockey tore both achilles from digging his heels in the track:LMAO

seattle slew

EOG Senior Member

Dutrow should keep his mouth shut. He looks like a fool. Desormeaux rode the horse the same way in the Derby and Preakness. It's a mile-and-a-half race. If he takes the horse to lead and he quits in the stretch, they'd kill him for going to the lead. You don't blame the jockey when the horse runs last. If he ran second or third, you can question the ride.

Maybe those steroids they were pumping into the horse, then stopped in April, had some effect on his running. This from a trainer whose been suspended for doping horses. Dutrow should remember big mouth trainers usually come and go. Remember Johnny Campo? The guy proclaimed himself in 1981 "I'm one helluva a horse trainer" after Pleasant Colony won the Derby. He fell off the map a few years later and was never heard from again.

Dutrow can learn a lesson from Zito, McGaughhey, Jerkins and even Baffert. Show some classin defeat.

I'm also sick of these millionaire syndidates (Curlin, Big Brown) buying these horses after other people broke them in, and trained them to the brink of stardom, then start talking like they picked the horse out of the yearling catalog. Andrew Beyer ripped the Arab owners for doing the same thing a few years ago. Time to start ripping the U.S. versions of that system.

raycabino

Long Live Wilson!

I'm not saying that Kent was flawless in this trip but anybody that thinks that is the reason BB didn't win the Belmont is very naive. The best ride in the world would have led to this horse finishing no better than a closer last place than he finished.

sl55

EOG Veteran

Running a horse on the outside for no reason in a long race is the kiss of death,on top of that he pulled up on him twice early.I watched Kent when he was an apprentice at Pimlico and this was without a doubt one of his worst Jobs at rating his mount.Anybody that thinks that ride was stellar,doesn't know squat about rating a horse.

nedrow

EOG Dedicated

i agree ,on the rail he schould of gone for the lead to get away from traffic and try to hold the lead or close 2nd and run the race that way. was to hot to fuk around go for it .Kent Desormeaux owes me 80 bucks but i anit an asshole so 50s kQQl. ha

OMNIVOROUS FROG

EOG Master

You know what? When Kent screwed up with Real Quiet, he said right after the race, I screwed up. And he did. He was brutally honest. I think he is here also. Did not appear that horse had left anything at all. He was out of gas. Got some dominant performances out of him, but those can end at any time. Or its just a matter of time. This was, the time. Plus, he did not train at all after Preakness. All of a sudden horse changes patterns and goes from heavy training to rest. Looks like he rested to me at Belmont after one helluva run of awesome efforts. Either way, I will always remember the win at the derby from the aux, 20 hole. That was impressive. Bridge jumpers bit it bad will also be ingrained after the no show.

How many times have we seen this show? No triple crown again. You don't fix big races. This horse was on schedule for an off race, did not train between Preakness and Belmont properly, and ran what he had been doing between races, coasted. Oops, better blame Kent, he did it before. Not this time. Maybe the juice wore off, never know. Get some class. Rick should just STFU and take the hit with dignity. Throwing Kent under the bus makes you look even worse.

OF...:pop:

pioneer

EOG Dedicated

BAD RIDE BY JOCK

By RAY KERRISON

June 9, 2008 -- WHEN Big Brown emerged unscathed from his inexplicable fiasco in the Belmont Stakes, the post-mortem focus suddenly swung hard and sharp on the equally inexplicable ride from jockey Kent Desormeaux.

Along the Belmont backstretch yesterday, Kent was the fall guy. Not without some reason.
One of the top trainers in the business said: "Desormeaux screwed up. He should have let him run, just as he did in the Florida Derby, instead of fighting him.
"He should never have eased the horse, either. Did you see the stretch run? Big Brown was still fighting for his head. I think Desormeaux panicked."
Another trainer said: "Sometimes, when you turn a horse off, as Kent did early in the race, you can't turn 'em back on again."
Yet another, severely critical of the ride, said: "Kent is one of the best, most aggressive jockeys in the business, but sometimes you have to wonder."
Chris McCarron, one of the best jockeys ever to ride in America, said: "Kent had a lot of trouble going into the first turn, that's for sure. The trouble is that Big Brown has never broken well. He is his own worst enemy coming out of the gate.
"All the jockeys in the Belmont knew that. So when he scrambled out of there again Saturday, they dropped over on him right away and got him in a box."
They sure did. And that's when all the trouble began. Big Brown wanted his head, but Desormeaux put a double lock on him. With the horse swinging his head, to and fro, anxious to go on, Desormeaux yanked him outside, slamming hard into Anak Nakal, then, incredibly, Desormeaux took him so wide it's a wonder they didn't send out a search party for him.
The cops should have ticketed him for reckless driving.
But nothing tells the story of Big Brown's horrendous trip and the jockey's foul-up more than the independent chart of the race. It reads, "Big Brown steadied . . . steadied sharply . . . steadied . . . taken to the outside bumping Anak Nakal . . . swung seven wide into the backstretch, continuing wide for seven furlongs...etc."
And most of that happened in the first couple furlongs. Desormeaux's tactics were eerily reminiscent of the bewildering ride Garrett Gomez gave Hard Spun in last year's Belmont.
When something goes wrong in a race, it is fashionable to blame the jockey.
Desormeaux defended his ride.
"At the five-eighths pole, I knew I was done," he said. "I had no horse. There was some crowding going into the first turn but when I got to the outside, I said that's it, the race is over. I got it. Unfortunately, there are no popped tires. He just ran out of gas."
Desormeaux, thinking something might be wrong, eased Big Brown. He knew he had a $50 million property under him and he was taking no chances. That was fine for the horse and the owners. He added, "I was numb, lost."
So were an army of horseplayers. Last time I looked at the tote board, they had invested more than $8 million on Big Brown to win alone, not to mention place, show, exacta, trifecta, superfecta, pick six pools.
The public may have lost as much as $15 million on Big Brown's flop. You would think the stewards, or maybe NYRA or maybe the State Racing and Wagering Board, which regulates racing, would have had some interest in finding out what happened and passed it on to the public.
Not a chance. By last night, not one official in charge had anything to say about Big Brown's dismal performance. The public be damned.
The only comment came from veterinarian Larry Bramlage. He was asked whether the decision to withdraw Big Brown's steroid treatment and vitamins could have affected him.
Bramlage replied, "I doubt it. The anabolic steroids keep him eating and keeps him aggressive, all of which he showed all week long, so I kind of doubt it."
It is trainer Nick Zito's fortune and misfortune to win two of the biggest upsets in Belmont history against hot favorites, leaving him and his jockey Alan Garcia marooned while all the attention is given to the losers.
Still, Zito was in great shape and good humor yesterday. His 38-1 winner Da' Tara justified his philosophy.
"I believe the Belmont is a pedigree race," Zito said. "I've had two winners and six seconds in the race and all of them had mile and a half pedigrees.
"I was jumping up and down, and up and down, but I knew he had the pedigree and I knew he would stay the trip."
If Big Brown was UPS, Da' Tara was FedExpress.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

pioneer

EOG Dedicated

Plenty of blame to spread around in Big Brown's Belmont flop

Sunday, June 8th 2008, 9:25 PM
B. Smith for News Big Brown becomes first Triple Crown hopeful to finish last in Belmont.

<!-- ARTICLE CONTENT START -->This is what kept Big Brown from becoming the first Triple Crown winner in 30 years: He was not a happy horse.
Big Brown, supposed to be a cool customer, one smart horse, was acting up, kicking hard, in his stall in the pre-race detention barn. He couldn't have liked exchanging his roomy sublet at Belmont's Barn 2 for unfamiliar, cramped quarters.
The weather, we can all agree, was too darn hot.
The quarter crack that appeared two weeks earlier was said to be perfect, would not be a problem. But the setback cost him several days of training time.
The morning of the Preakness, trainer Rick Dutrow gave the horse a two-furlong workout, his first in 16 days, to make sure he wasn't over the top. Since it worked perfectly, why not do it again the morning of the Belmont?
Big Brown was in post position 1, nowhere he'd been in his five races this year. His most impressive performances came from the farthest outside posts, 12 in the Florida Derby, 20 in the biggest Derby. When you're the first one into the gate you have the longest wait before the starter says go. Maybe Big Brown was still grumbling when the gate finally opened.
The jockey, Kent Desormeaux, had a plan for this race. Looks like the wrong plan.
He didn't want his horse trapped on the rail, which is understandable, but he was too intent on getting Big Brown to the outside.
The horse was rank soon after the start, throwing his head. The jockey's first attempt to take him outside didn't work out. When he tried again, and bothered other horses, he was yanking hard. Was he handling the horse too roughly?
They were on the outside, seemingly in perfect position. Desormeaux: "When I got outside, going into the first turn, I said, 'That's it, the race is over, I got it.'"
About 100 yards before the final turn, he asked the horse to show the remarkable turn of foot that got the job done in the first two Triple Crown races. Not this time. "I was done," Desormeaux said later. "I had no horse."
And now Big Brown moves to that page at the back of the book with the other 10 horses, some pretty good ones, who came up one race short since the last Triple Crown was won in 1978.
With this disturbing difference: He's the only horse of that group whose Belmont finish was no finish at all. The chart for the race, now and forever, will read DNF, did not finish.
So let me add three more capital letters: WWW. What went wrong?
There are no satisfactory answers. Dutrow said, "I don't see a problem and I'm looking for one." Desormeaux said there was no injury, "no popped tires. He just ran out of gas."
Veterinarian Larry Bramlage: "He looked fine. There was nothing outwardly apparent."
If Big Brown had won, at odds of 1-5, he would have returned two quarters and two nickels for every $2 ticket. Most of them might have gone uncashed, kept as souvenirs, or made available on eBay.
But because Big Brown was something less than his superb self, the tickets become another minor jolt to the economy. Those things happen. Favorites lose about two-thirds of the time.
But at least one trainer believes the public was short-changed in this Belmont.
Billy Turner is the last living trainer of a Triple Crown winner, Seattle Slew in 1977. Early last week, Turner called Big Brown "a really good horse" who had "the best chance of winning the Triple Crown" since Spectacular Bid came up short in the '79 Belmont. "When the horse has the ability Big Brown does, his talent will make sure he gets the mile and a half."
It turns out that Big Brown covered less than a mile at full speed and Turner isn't satisfied with the various non-explanations. He's throwing his darts at the jockey.
"If the horse bobbled, fine, pull him up," Turner said. "But there was no bobble, no misstep. It was a disaster, the ride was a disaster from the start."
It occurred to one writer that Turner might have been describing the night Roberto Duran called out "no mas" and abandoned his fight against Ray Leonard, who was beating him badly. "A good analogy," the trainer said. "That's exactly what happened." The jockey "was going to be embarrassed, so he decided to pull the horse up. The ride was a disaster, a disaster from the start. In the '60s, '70s, '80s, the stewards would have told (Desormeaux) to leave New York and not come back."
Desormeaux is a top-flight jockey, a three-time Derby winner. He won 598 races one year and was a standout in Southern California's strong jockey colony until he fell out of favor. "I was on top of the world," he said recently. "I thought I was the reason all the horses were winning." He admitted to being arrogant. And then the winning stopped.
A California racing executive I spoke with before the Preakness remembers Desormeaux "not riding horses out. It didn't matter to him if the horse finished third or fourth. The stewards called him in."
I don't expect that to happen here. The race is over. It's history. The worst kind of history.

raycabino

Long Live Wilson!

Pioneer, what do you actually think about this whole Big Brown, Kent,Dutrow situation? I know I give you shit sometimes but I actually respect your opinion as a whole way more than most others.

pioneer

EOG Dedicated

Pioneer, what do you actually think about this whole Big Brown, Kent,Dutrow situation? I know I give you shit sometimes but I actually respect your opinion as a whole way more than most others.

I bumped the other Kent D thread to the top

sl55

EOG Veteran

Thanks Pioneer,apparently somebodyelse saw the same race I did.

cassiusclay

EOG Master

I can think of one. The tremendous amount of money that the books won on that race. Gamblin gods don't give a dick about studding horses. Why didn't he even try for third? He just gave up. These horse races are even more rigged then the nba. I heard an outside source say the jockey tore both achilles from digging his heels in the track:LMAO
i agree 100%, this thing was fixed and i am ok with that. i don't know anything about horse racing but i do know alot of people had bb in some form in their wagers, everybody except this guy!

daggerkobe

EOG Member

That fat sweaty bastard should blame himself for not juicing the horse full of roids. He got too cocky and though it would win clean to silence the critics.

But I pointed out seven reasons why BB would lose and all came true. It was funny when 100,000 people moaned in disbelief after losing $7million on a avg horse (without roids) with a damaged hoof.

pioneer

EOG Dedicated

Thx Pioneer. Long story short though, do you think Big Brown had the goods to win that day?

I, just like everyone else, have no idea. All I can go on is what I saw with my own eyes, and I saw a particularly bad ride by Kent D. Would BB have won with a better ride? I don't know.

I watch races everyday and I see horses lose without being pulled up everyday. Some jockey named Meche was suspended 6 months for failing to persevere in the stretch....what exactly would you say Kent D did with Big Brown?

Posted: Monday, February 10, 2003

Suspended jockey Meche defends tactics

Jockey Donnie Meche denied any wrongdoing after receiving a six-month suspension for not doing his best to win a race at Delta Downs on January 23. Delta Downs stewards suspended Meche on Saturday for his ride in a trial race aboard three-year-old Cleaning House, who finished third as the 2-to-5 favorite. The Louisiana State Racing Commission on Sunday denied Meche's request for an appeal, which would have allowed him to ride until a hearing date. The commission has scheduled a hearing on February 17.

Meche told the New Orleans Times-Picayune that he tried to protect Cleaning House after suspecting that the son of End Sweep suffered an injury coming out of the gate.

"I was trying not to hurt the horse," Meche said. "It's not that I wasn't trying to win the race. He wasn't hitting the ground the way I thought he should. It happens all the time. We're out there to do our job, not to hurt the horse or ourselves. That's our job."

The race was a trial for the Graduation Stakes, which Cleaning House won on Saturday under jockey Steve Bourque.

Meche has been a regular stakes rider for Cleaning House's trainer, Steve Asmussen. Meche rode Private Emblem to victory for Asmussen in last year's Arkansas Derby (G2) at Oaklawn Park and finished 14th aboard the son of Our Emblem in the Kentucky Derby (G1).

Asmussen said he was surprised by the stewards' ruling against Meche. "But I have no information," Asmussen said. "Nobody's talking to me."

raycabino

Long Live Wilson!

I, just like everyone else, have no idea. All I can go on is what I saw with my own eyes, and I saw a particularly bad ride by Kent D. Would BB have won with a better ride? I don't know.

I watch races everyday and I see horses lose without being pulled up everyday. Some jockey named Meche was suspended 6 months for failing to persevere in the stretch....what exactly would you say Kent D did with Big Brown?
Just curious about what you thought more than anything. I know he got a worse than usual ride but it didn't seem that the horse fired at all when asked which led me to believe that he just didn't have it that day but I trusted your opinion more so than my own.

There are 2 ways you can look at this.

1) Big Brown is a mediocre race horse. If you believe this, then you can blame the jock. The horse was rank and eager the opening 1/4 mile, but did get outside like he's done in every single one of his other races, but this obviously took too much out of him. Now remember, even w/ trouble, great horses would certainly be able to overcome this and beat a horse the qualified for a NX1 going into the race in a ridiculously slow time of better than 2:39

2) Big Brown is a great horse that just didn't have it that day. He was kicking in the stall, he was coated in liver sweat (2 things he did not do or have before the Preakness or Derby) was eager to go early, and just did not feel like running.

I'll say it's a combo. Big Brown is not that great of a horse, he's beaten up on weaklings, and it wasn't the best ride in the world by Desormeaux.

pioneer

EOG Dedicated

Just curious about what you thought more than anything. I know he got a worse than usual ride but it didn't seem that the horse fired at all when asked which led me to believe that he just didn't have it that day but I trusted your opinion more so than my own.

It has nothing to do with "seem"....it is a matter of fact that the horse did not fire when asked. And unlike whether you "believe" in God or not, it doesn't take any faith at all to "believe" that Big Brown didn't have it that day...that too is a matter of fact. The question is why didn't he have it that day and the answer is probably multifactorial, and since the horse can't tell us how he felt that day, we'll never know for sure.

But there are some things we do "know". We know Kent D gave a particularly bad ride on the horse. What really aggravates me is Kent D making the rounds telling us how he made such a great ride and how no one was blaming him(see the Dan Patrick interview).
And we know that Kent D admittedly pulled up the horse at the top of the stretch. That is against the rules of horseracing; Kent D didn't even have the respect for the game to try and make an excuse like Donnie Meche did 5 years ago; but Donnie Meche gets a 6 month suspension and Kent D gets to go on program after program claiming he's some kind of hero.

raycabino

Long Live Wilson!

It has nothing to do with "seem"....it is a matter of fact that the horse did not fire when asked. And unlike whether you "believe" in God or not, it doesn't take any faith at all to "believe" that Big Brown didn't have it that day...that too is a matter of fact. The question is why didn't he have it that day and the answer is probably multifactorial, and since the horse can't tell us how he felt that day, we'll never know for sure.

But there are some things we do "know". We know Kent D gave a particularly bad ride on the horse. What really aggravates me is Kent D making the rounds telling us how he made such a great ride and how no one was blaming him(see the Dan Patrick interview).
And we know that Kent D admittedly pulled up the horse at the top of the stretch. That is against the rules of horseracing; Kent D didn't even have the respect for the game to try and make an excuse like Donnie Meche did 5 years ago; but Donnie Meche gets a 6 month suspension and Kent D gets to go on program after program claiming he's some kind of hero.
Fair enough.

Since no horse has won The Triple Crown in thirty years, it might just be a difficult thing to do.

daggerkobe

EOG Member

Whatever the reason it certainly wasn't the jockey's fault. The missed training sessions due to the injured foot, bad post position, the stumbling out of the blocks, no steroids for that stamina needed for the stretch, and the 1.5 miles which the horse was not trained adequately for.

The jockey did all the right things. He was boxed in due to the bad post and steered outside for more room. He was in perfect position to make the run but had nothing down the stretch due to no roids and missed training sessions. It had nothing left so he rightfully pulled up. Why risk $50 million in stud fee to finish 5th???????

pioneer

EOG Dedicated

Whatever the reason it certainly wasn't the jockey's fault. The missed training sessions due to the injured foot, bad post position, the stumbling out of the blocks, no steroids for that stamina needed for the stretch, and the 1.5 miles which the horse was not trained adequately for.

The jockey did all the right things. He was boxed in due to the bad post and steered outside for more room. He was in perfect position to make the run but had nothing down the stretch due to no roids and missed training sessions. It had nothing left so he rightfully pulled up. Why risk $50 million in stud fee to finish 5th???????

Welcome to EOG....you'll feel quite at home here...just what we needed, another idiot!

pioneer

EOG Dedicated

Stevens blames Big Brown's jockey

[Edition Date: 06/10/08

Hall of Fame jockey Gary Stevens, an Idaho native who got his start at Les Bois Park, blamed jockey Kent Desormeaux for Big Brown's poor performance in the Belmont Stakes.
Desormeaux should not have held Big Brown back early in the race and instead taken him right to the front, Stevens said on KTIK's "Idaho Sports Talk" with Jeff Caves and Statesman sports columnist Brian Murphy on Monday.
Stevens said he told his son that Big Brown would lose as soon as he saw him hung up early in the race. Stevens attended the race.
"It's the first time I have wanted to have had my boots on since I retired," said Stevens, who won eight Triple Crown races during his storied career and now serves as a race analyst.

daggerkobe

EOG Member

How many triple crowns did Gary Stevens win?

Funny that someone who himself could never win it is criticising others.

Only those dumb enough to lay 1-4 on an injured, out of shape horse are the ones blaming the jockey.