ballwonder

EOG Master
Ex-NBA referee: playoff series manipulated

By Tom Hayes; Associated Press Writer 45 minutes ago

In this April 10, 2007 file ph?
AP - Jun 10, 6:21 pm EDT

AP - Jun 3, 5:45 pm EDT

<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> YAHOO.Sports.article_carousel_last_index = 1; YAHOO.Sports.article_carousel_lazy_images = ["http:\/\/d.yimg.com\/us.yimg.com\/p\/ap\/20080603\/capt.nyol58006032145.betting_probe_basketball_nyol580.jpg?x=180&y=200&xc=1&yc=1&wc=305&hc=339&q=70&sig=Ct4SPdE1UPufloDpD5TPVQ--"]; YAHOO.util.Event.addListener(window,'load',YAHOO.Sports.articleLazyLoadCarousel.init); </SCRIPT>

<SCRIPT type=text/javascript>function prev_photo() { if (YAHOO.Sports.article_carousel_current_index > 0) { goto_photo(YAHOO.Sports.article_carousel_current_index - 1); } else { goto_photo(YAHOO.Sports.article_carousel_last_index); }}function next_photo() { if (YAHOO.Sports.article_carousel_current_index < YAHOO.Sports.article_carousel_last_index) { goto_photo(YAHOO.Sports.article_carousel_current_index + 1); } else { goto_photo(0); }}function update_buttons() {/* if (YAHOO.Sports.article_carousel_current_index > 0) { YAHOO.util.Dom.addClass("article_carousel_prev", "prev"); YAHOO.util.Dom.removeClass("article_carousel_prev", "prev_disabled"); } else { YAHOO.util.Dom.addClass("article_carousel_prev", "prev_disabled"); YAHOO.util.Dom.removeClass("article_carousel_prev", "prev"); } if (YAHOO.Sports.article_carousel_current_index < YAHOO.Sports.article_carousel_last_index) { YAHOO.util.Dom.addClass("article_carousel_next", "next"); YAHOO.util.Dom.removeClass("article_carousel_next", "next_disabled"); } else { YAHOO.util.Dom.addClass("article_carousel_next", "next_disabled"); YAHOO.util.Dom.removeClass("article_carousel_next", "next"); }*/}function goto_photo(p) { if (YAHOO.Sports.article_carousel_photos) { for(i = 0; i < YAHOO.Sports.article_carousel_photos.length; i++) { if (i == p) { YAHOO.util.Dom.setStyle(YAHOO.Sports.article_carousel_photos, "display", ""); } else { YAHOO.util.Dom.setStyle(YAHOO.Sports.article_carousel_photos, "display", "none"); } } if (YAHOO.Sports.article_carousel_current_page) { YAHOO.Sports.article_carousel_current_page.innerHTML =(p + 1); YAHOO.Sports.article_carousel_current_index = p; } } update_buttons();}YAHOO.Sports.article_carousel_init = function () { YAHOO.util.Event.addListener("article_carousel_prev", "click", prev_photo); YAHOO.util.Event.addListener("article_carousel_next", "click", next_photo); YAHOO.Sports.article_carousel_current_index = 0; YAHOO.Sports.article_carousel_current_page = YAHOO.util.Dom.get("carousel_page"); YAHOO.Sports.article_carousel_photos = YAHOO.util.Dom.getElementsByClassName("item", "div", "leadphoto"); if (YAHOO.Sports.article_carousel_photos) { goto_photo(0); }}YAHOO.Sports.article_carousel_init();</SCRIPT>
NEW YORK (AP)?NBA referees, influenced by cozy relationships with league officials, rigged a 2002 playoff series to force it to a revenue-boosting seven games, a former referee at the center of a gambling scandal alleged Tuesday.
Without identifying anyone or naming teams, Tim Donaghy also claimed the NBA routinely encouraged refs to ring up bogus fouls to manipulate results but discouraged them from calling technical fouls on star players to keep them in games and protect ticket sales and television ratings.
Speaking before the start of the NBA finals Game 3 featuring the Los Angeles Lakers and Boston Celtics, NBA commissioner David Stern called the allegations baseless.
?All I can say is that he?s looking for anything that will somehow shorten the sentence, and it?s not going to happen,? Stern said.
The allegations were contained in a letter filed by a lawyer for Donaghy, who pleaded guilty last year to felony charges alleging he took cash payoffs from gamblers and bet on games himself. The 41-year-old Donaghy faces up to 33 months in prison at sentencing on July 14.

<TABLE class=ad_slug_table cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle>[SIZE=-2][/SIZE]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><SCRIPT language=javascript>if(window.yzq_d==null)window.yzq_d=new Object();window.yzq_d['kJxZHUwNBk0-']='&U=13ea1djb9%2fN%3dkJxZHUwNBk0-%2fC%3d619213.12513331.12865026.1323516%2fD%3dSKY%2fB%3d4919383%2fV%3d1';</SCRIPT><NOSCRIPT> </NOSCRIPT>
?If the NBA wanted a team to succeed, league officials would inform referees that opposing players were getting away with violations,? the letter said. ?Referees then would call fouls on certain players, frequently resulting in victory for the opposing team.?
The league called Donaghy?s allegations false and self-serving, saying the scandal was limited to him and two co-defendants, both former high school classmates who also pleaded guilty to gambling charges.
Donaghy?s lawyer has sought to convince a federal judge in Brooklyn that Donaghy, of Bradenton, Fla., deserves more credit for coming forward before he was charged to disclose behind-the-scenes misconduct within the NBA. The letter, filed Monday, suggests prosecutors have hurt Donaghy?s chances for a lesser prison term by downplaying the extent of his cooperation.
Donaghy?s attorney, John Lauro, and prosecutors declined comment.
?He?s a singing, cooperating witness who is trying to get as light a sentence as he can,? Stern said. ?He turned on basically all of his colleagues in an attempt to demonstrate that he is not the only one who engaged in criminal activity. The U.S. attorney?s office, the FBI, have fully investigated it, and Mr. Donaghy is the only one who is guilty of a crime. And he will be sentenced for that crime regardless of the desperate attempts to implicate as many people as he can.?
In one of several allegations of corrupt refereeing, Donaghy said he learned in May 2002 that two referees known as ?company men? were working a best-of-seven series in which ?Team 5? was leading 3-2. In the sixth game, he alleged the referees purposely ignored personal fouls and called ?made-up fouls on Team 5 in order to give additional free throw opportunities for Team 6.?
?Team 6? won the game and came back to win the series, the letter said.
Only the Los Angeles Lakers-Sacramento Kings series went to seven games during the 2002 playoffs. And the Lakers went on to win the championship.
At the time, consumer advocate Ralph Nader and the League of Fans, a sports industry watchdog group, sent a letter to Stern complaining about the officiating in Game 6 of the Western Conference finals.
The Lakers, who beat Sacramento 106-102 in that game in Los Angeles, shot 27 free throws in the final quarter and scored 16 of their last 18 points at the line.
AP - Jun 3, 5:54 pm EDT

The letter also alleged manipulation during a 2005 playoff series.
?Team 3 lost the first two games in the series and Team 3?s owner complained to NBA officials,? the letter said. ?Team 3?s owner alleged that referees were letting a Team 4 player get away with illegal screens. NBA Executive Y told Referee Supervisor Z that the referees for that game were to enforce the screening rules strictly against that Team 4 player. ? The referees followed the league?s instructions and Team 3 came back from behind to win the series. The NBA benefited from this because it prolonged the series, resulting in more tickets sold and more televised games.?
Donaghy?s letter said that in the first of several meetings with prosecutors and the FBI in New York in 2007, he named names while describing ?various examples of improper interactions and relationships between referees and other league employees, such as players, coaches and management.? For example, it said, referees broke NBA rules by hitting up players for autographs, socializing with coaches and accepting meals and merchandise from teams.
?The NBA remains vigilant in protecting the integrity of our game and has fully cooperated with the government at every stage of its investigation,? Richard Buchanan, NBA executive vice president and general counsel, said in a statement. ?The only criminal activity uncovered is Mr. Donaghy?s.?
Associated Press Sports Writer Brian Mahoney in Los Angeles contributed to this report

The Devil

EOG Master
Re: Donaghy says 2002 Playoffs Rigged

SERIOUS SHIT, IF HE CAN PROVE WHAT HE ALLEGES HAPPENED THE NBA WILL LOOK LIKE ROLLER DERBY.............

At half time, Van Gundy spoke on this subject as well as the 2005 series and that the NBA should inform the other team that they're looking into certain situations (fouls) on your team - what a crock if you ask me.

The Devil

EOG Master

PROBABLY ANYONE WHO HAD A BET ON THE GAME EITHER WAY MAY HAVE FELT THE SAME WAY.........

Apple

Banned

Devil it was obvious sir.. I wasn't betting at the time and I'm not a Lakers or Kings fan.

Only the blind didn't know this already. Tell us something we didn't know Tim.

O'Royken

EOG Dedicated

Baseball is rigged more than the NBA.

Did you see Eric Gregg behind home plate during the Marlins series?

The guy had the balls to make it so obvious in a World Series game for all to see.

That proves to me that MLB is more rigged.

The homeplate ump controls the strike zone and controls the pitchers location. You dont give pitchers the corners he is forced to come over the plate and get's lit up.

Why do you think every umpire has their own strike zone and constantly try and protect their right to it??

Baseball turned a blind eye to steriods and they have done it with ump fixing.

Junior

EOG Veteran

Baseball is rigged more than the NBA.

Did you see Eric Gregg behind home plate during the Marlins series?

The guy had the balls to make it so obvious in a World Series game for all to see.

That proves to me that MLB is more rigged.

The homeplate ump controls the strike zone and controls the pitchers location. You dont give pitchers the corners he is forced to come over the plate and get's lit up.

Why do you think every umpire has their own strike zone and constantly try and protect their right to it??

Baseball turned a blind eye to steriods and they have done it with ump fixing.

This is how you can hit consistent totals in MLB, by following certain umps behind the plate. Certain umps are OVER plays and certain by far are under plays. I find it weird only a 2002 series is called out here on a "FIXED" series. It happens all the time IMO.:LMAO

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

If the NBA wants to get rid of all the perception that their games are 'skewed' to get the glamour matchups, they need to hire an outside company to officiate the games. They need to get rid of the 70 year old company men who kiss ExNBAe-ers on the lips (sort of how the mafia does it) and get some young and unbiased men and women in there to officiate.

Get someone who doesn't have to deal with the 'wrath' of the NBAe if they screw up.

If the officials are employed by the NBAe, they have a vested interest in their employer making as much revenue as as possible.

ballwonder

EOG Master

This is how you can hit consistent totals in MLB, by following certain umps behind the plate. Certain umps are OVER plays and certain by far are under plays. I find it weird only a 2002 series is called out here on a "FIXED" series. It happens all the time IMO.:LMAO

Bullshit, you will never hit consistent plays just based on umps. Two other major factors, weather (ie:humidity something you or I cannot control) and the pitcher. Ump is only a small factor.

OMNIVOROUS FROG

EOG Master

The Irish rat is squealing on everyone and everything. So I get to scratch off my worst fixed NBA game ever as confirmed? And I was almost convinced players would be called for fouls using thier faces to strike opponents elbows. So the Game #6 fix was a fix, what a shocker. And Marc Cuban whined to the refs and got VG's Rockets? Also the Spurs? But then when he was delivered to the Finals, the NBA promised land he forgot who delivered his underserving team there and had a major league tantrum in front of the King. At least the Heat had no one stupid enough to do that and Wade went to the line when players made mean faces at him. Dallas never won another game that series, even at home, and never won another playoff series, even as the #1 seed best record in the NBA.

If the rat had been around long enough he could have talked about many, many other Lakeshow fixes, including those over the Blazers and the Spurs. Even way, way back vs. the Jazz. The officials control the game, and decides who wins for the league's best interests. I have only been saying that for 25 years now. Only a few fixed events left to come clean on.

Sea/Pit Super Bowl. Every zebra was given a terrible towel instead of a flag. From the first TD called back, C Hawks never had a chance, in the worst biased Super Bowl ever.

Duke/UNLV NCAA tourney. Tark's hoods had won already, and nobody liked that. They were a disgrace, even though they were easily the best. So squeaky clean Dukies got every call, all game long, as they had to, it was that much of a mismatch. Entire UNLV squad in foul trouble, entire game. A total travesty.

USA/USSR olympic hoops. A super screw job of political epic proportions. My dad almost put his foot through the television on this one. Soviet bloc refs need to help out USSR badly, they are overmatched. All game long, they call fouls to keep it close. Then oops, game over, wrong team won. In the file this under the we can do anything we want category, officials huddle and put more time on clock, giving red team another chance to win. Still does not work. Then, time to insert foot in screen moment, they do it again, add more time on completed game to give them another chance. They make the shot, win the game, and surprise, they don't add time for the third time.

Cards/Royals World Series. Royals manager Howser has inoperable brain tumor/cancer. Not released to public but known. Cards easily the better team, about to close it out. In the worst call in MLB history, Dekinger calls runner out, when he is crossing the bag with second leg. Cards go ballistic, as they should have and meltdown. Goes to game #7, home plate ump calls anything near the plate a strike for Royals, nothing even down the middle for the Cards. Andujar comes unglued, throws a MLB tantrum, they lose huge. Royals complete upset. Howser passes within a few months. See entire El Duque Marlins/Yanx series for #2.

NCAA football? Too many to list.

We need an Irish rat in every sport to confirm what we all suspected all along. But for the only fathful left believing that the NBA is legit, King David can't possibly have enough spin to get out of this one. Damage done.

OF...:pop:

i don't think he said based ONLY on umps you can be successful in mlb.
something to combine with all other info of course.

tim mcclelland for example has gone over 8 straight games.
that seems like a consistent winner to me...

I think that tim is just crying out for help now, because he knows the ax is commin and he thinks "well if i am goin down others are going down with me."

The Prophet

EOG Dedicated

The Officials are merely the puppets of the show?ownership writes their script. :smokesmal

Journeyman

EOG Master

The Irish rat is squealing on everyone and everything. So I get to scratch off my worst fixed NBA game ever as confirmed? And I was almost convinced players would be called for fouls using thier faces to strike opponents elbows. So the Game #6 fix was a fix, what a shocker. And Marc Cuban whined to the refs and got VG's Rockets? Also the Spurs? But then when he was delivered to the Finals, the NBA promised land he forgot who delivered his underserving team there and had a major league tantrum in front of the King. At least the Heat had no one stupid enough to do that and Wade went to the line when players made mean faces at him. Dallas never won another game that series, even at home, and never won another playoff series, even as the #1 seed best record in the NBA.

If the rat had been around long enough he could have talked about many, many other Lakeshow fixes, including those over the Blazers and the Spurs. Even way, way back vs. the Jazz. The officials control the game, and decides who wins for the league's best interests. I have only been saying that for 25 years now. Only a few fixed events left to come clean on.

Sea/Pit Super Bowl. Every zebra was given a terrible towel instead of a flag. From the first TD called back, C Hawks never had a chance, in the worst biased Super Bowl ever.

Duke/UNLV NCAA tourney. Tark's hoods had won already, and nobody liked that. They were a disgrace, even though they were easily the best. So squeaky clean Dukies got every call, all game long, as they had to, it was that much of a mismatch. Entire UNLV squad in foul trouble, entire game. A total travesty.

USA/USSR olympic hoops. A super screw job of political epic proportions. My dad almost put his foot through the television on this one. Soviet bloc refs need to help out USSR badly, they are overmatched. All game long, they call fouls to keep it close. Then oops, game over, wrong team won. In the file this under the we can do anything we want category, officials huddle and put more time on clock, giving red team another chance to win. Still does not work. Then, time to insert foot in screen moment, they do it again, add more time on completed game to give them another chance. They make the shot, win the game, and surprise, they don't add time for the third time.

Cards/Royals World Series. Royals manager Howser has inoperable brain tumor/cancer. Not released to public but known. Cards easily the better team, about to close it out. In the worst call in MLB history, Dekinger calls runner out, when he is crossing the bag with second leg. Cards go ballistic, as they should have and meltdown. Goes to game #7, home plate ump calls anything near the plate a strike for Royals, nothing even down the middle for the Cards. Andujar comes unglued, throws a MLB tantrum, they lose huge. Royals complete upset. Howser passes within a few months. See entire El Duque Marlins/Yanx series for #2.

NCAA football? Too many to list.

We need an Irish rat in every sport to confirm what we all suspected all along. But for the only fathful left believing that the NBA is legit, King David can't possibly have enough spin to get out of this one. Damage done.

OF...:pop:

Throw in FSU-Fla, about 4 years ago, the WORST officated college football game I have ever seen.

ACC crew, need I say more?:hung

ballwonder

EOG Master

i don't think he said based ONLY on umps you can be successful in mlb.
something to combine with all other info of course.

tim mcclelland for example has gone over 8 straight games.
that seems like a consistent winner to me...

"This is how you can hit consistent totals in MLB, by following certain umps behind the plate. Certain umps are OVER plays and certain by far are under plays"

Did you play Eddings last time out like the plan would say, if you did then you took a bath. Umps can only control so much. It fits into the small part of the plan, pitchers and weather make more of an outcome than the ump does. If you base youre mlb plays just on umps then good luck because one ump goes 8 straight times. Take a look back at the end of the season and see how much profit you make just playing umps.

Dumbdolt

EOG Member

Of course the refs have impact on the outcome. But bad calls and rigging are two entirely different issues. The refs in the NBA simply suck, most are honest