LVRJ: Woods, Mickelson not only wagering options

Jun. 11, 2008
Copyright ? Las Vegas Review-Journal

Woods, Mickelson not only wagering options

By MATT YOUMANS
REVIEW-JOURNAL
Amid the anticipation of the season's second major golf tournament, a lot of buzz surrounds Adam Scott, the 27-year-old former UNLV standout.
Scott still is searching for his first major victory, but that's not why his name is so often mentioned. It has everything to do with Tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson.
Scott, the world's No. 3-ranked player, is grouped with Woods and Mickelson for the first two rounds of the U.S. Open, which begins Thursday morning at Torrey Pines in San Diego.
Woods is the 2-1 favorite, and Mickelson is the second choice at 6-1.

"Tiger and Phil are huge starting points, but there are plenty of other guys worth betting," Las Vegas Hilton golf oddsmaker Jeff Sherman said.
Scott, a 40-1 long shot at the Hilton, is not on Sherman's short list of favorites. Odds as low as 18-1 are posted on Scott, who fractured the little finger on his right hand when he jammed it in a car door last month.
"I wouldn't expect him to win playing with a broken finger," Sherman said.
As usual, Woods is the player to beat, just as he was in April when he went into the Masters as about a 6-5 favorite. Woods finished second at Augusta National, had arthroscopic surgery on his left knee two days after the Masters and missed about seven weeks.
Woods has a history of dominance at Torrey Pines, where he has won the Buick Invitational six times. But his injury and long layoff make him a riskier wager.
"You know what Tiger is about, but it leaves some doubt in your mind.," Sherman said.
Woods is a minus-240 favorite in a matchup against Mickelson, who also has a track record of strong play at Torrey Pines.
The Hilton has posted a proposition asking, Will Woods or Mickelson win the U.S. Open? Betting "No" is minus-190 and "Yes" plus-170, and Sherman said the Woods-Mickelson combination is drawing more action than the rest of the field.
For bettors who prefer bigger odds, Sherman recommends Geoff Ogilvy (30-1) and Stewart Cink (40-1).
Other popular players worth a look are Sergio Garcia (20-1), Jim Furyk (25-1), Vijay Singh (30-1) and Boo Weekley (60-1).
Masters champion Trevor Immelman is at 40-1 odds.

Re: LVRJ: Woods, Mickelson not only wagering options

Jun. 11, 2008

For bettors who prefer bigger odds, Sherman recommends Geoff Ogilvy (30-1) and Stewart Cink (40-1).
Other popular players worth a look are Sergio Garcia (20-1), Jim Furyk (25-1), Vijay Singh (30-1) and Boo Weekley (60-1).
Masters champion Trevor Immelman is at 40-1 odds.

I can not stand Garcia and he normally crumbles under pressure, from I have seen. I am not so sure this is going to be an easy win for Tiger if one at all.