BIG BROTHER NOW WANTS TO SEE ALL OF OUR FINANCIAL TRANSACTIONS...

[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]Senate Housing Bill Requires eBay, Amazon, Google, and All Credit Card Companies to Report Transactions to the Government [/FONT]

FreedomWorks
June 19, 2008

Broad, invasive provision touches nearly every aspect of American commerce.

Phone: 202-942-7612
Email: abrandon@freedomworks.org

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD bgColor=#00319c> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Washington, DC - Hidden deep in Senator Christopher Dodd's 630-page Senate housing legislation is a sweeping provision that affects the privacy and operation of nearly all of America’s small businesses. The provision, which was added by the bill's managers without debate this week, would require the nation's payment systems to track, aggregate, and report information on nearly every electronic transaction to the federal government. Call Congress and Tell Them to Oppose The eBay Reporting Provision in the Housing Bill: 1-866-928-3035

FreedomWorks Chairman Dick Armey commented: "This is a provision with astonishing reach, and it was slipped into the bill just this week. Not only does it affect nearly every credit card transaction in America, such as Visa, MasterCard, Discover, and American Express, but the bill specifically targets payment systems like eBay's PayPal, Amazon, and Google Checkout that are used by many small online businesses. The privacy implications for America's small businesses are breathtaking."

"Privacy groups like the Center for Democracy and Technology and small business organizations like the NFIB sharply criticized this idea when it first appeared earlier this year. What is the federal government's purpose with this kind of detailed data? How will this database be secured, and who will have access? Many small proprietors use their Social Security number as their tax ID. How will their privacy be protected? What compliance costs will this impose on businesses? Why is Sen. Chris Dodd putting this provision in a housing bailout bill? The bill also includes the creation of a new national fingerprint registry for mortgage brokers.

"At a time when concerns about both identity theft and government spying are paramount, Congress wants to create a new honey pot of private data that includes Social Security numbers. This bill reduces privacy across America's payment processing systems and treats every American small business or eBay power seller like a criminal on parole by requiring an unprecedented level of reporting to the federal government. This outrageous idea is another reason to delay the housing bailout legislation so that Senators and the public at large have time to examine its full implications."

From the Senate Bill Summary:

Payment Card and Third Party Network Information Reporting. The proposal requires information reporting on payment card and third party network transactions. Payment settlement entities, including merchant acquiring banks and third party settlement organizations, or third party payment facilitators acting on their behalf, will be required to report the annual gross amount of reportable transactions to the IRS and to the participating payee. Reportable transactions include any payment card transaction and any third party network transaction. Participating payees include persons who accept a payment card as payment and third party networks who accept payment from a third party settlement organization in settlement of transactions. A payment card means any card issued pursuant to an agreement or arrangement which provides for standards and mechanisms for settling the transactions. Use of an account number or other indicia associated with a payment card will be treated in the same manner as a payment card. A de minimis exception for transactions of $10,000 or less and 200 transactions or less applies to payments by third party settlement organizations. The proposal applies to returns for calendar years beginning after December 31, 2010. Back-up withholding provisions apply to amounts paid after December 31, 2011. This proposal is estimated to raise $9.802 billion over ten years.

<CENTER>-30- </CENTER><CENTER> </CENTER><CENTER>Senate Housing Bill Requires eBay, Amazon, Google, and All Credit Card Companies to Report Transactions to the Government -- FreedomWorks.org</CENTER>

trytrytry

All I do is trytrytry
Re: BIG BROTHER NOW WANTS TO SEE ALL OF OUR FINANCIAL TRANSACTIONS...

2938u4ji23 2938u4ji23 2938u4ji23

This sounds like a lot more trouble than it's worth.

Little by little the government is trying to take away our freedom and liberties. If the powers that be don't get the result they're after, don't be surprised at an attempt for this to be piggybacked. :finger004

As one who lives vicariously through his credit cards, this is not good.

the glue

EOG Veteran

But, jeff you love our government....LOL....:finger004 Ron Paul you CHUMPS.....

I thought Ol' Ron dropped out already this year after his staff did an exhaustive evaluation of his chances and finally told him, "Ron, darn it, I don't think you can win!"

I'm sorry I missed it RealDeal.

(My fans get so jealous and hurt when I miss them.)

OMNIVOROUS FROG

EOG Master

Jeffs head is so far up is ass he can do self examination for colon polyps.

OF...:doh1

I posted this a few days ago. It is not a very good thing
for the gambling community.
The govt, has a program where they track these types
of transactions and look for patterns. Then they zoom in
on those people with similar transactions that are to the
same location over and over.

NOT GOOD FOR THE INDUSTRY MY FRIEND.

AS GERALD FORD SAID
A GOVT BIG ENOUGH TO GIVE YOU EVERYTHING YOU WANT IS
BIG ENOUGH TO TAKE EVERYTHING YOU HAVE!

I regret that I did not reply to your post.

NOTE TO MODERATORS:

Is there some way I could receive an audio alert whenever Real Deal posts?

I regret that I not reply to your post.

NOTE TO MODERATORS:

It would be very beneficial to you if you could

:LMAO

Bucsfan67

EOG Master

seems as if they have enough to worry about without wondering if suzy homemaker is ordering QVC online......

How many "federal" jobs will be created to monitor these BILLIONS of transactions that will come through monthly..

seems as if they have enough to worry about without wondering if suzy homemaker is ordering QVC online......

How many "federal" jobs will be created to monitor these BILLIONS of transactions that will come through monthly..

The computer programs are already in place.
They already do this with bank transactions.

munson15

I want winners...

If a port security bill can include provisions designed to kill online gambling, this isn't even a stretch.

HIGHLANDPARKDR

EOG Enthusiast

again gooood ole U, S of A = FREE-COUNTRY

NOT SO FAST MY-FRIEND

DR

sean1

EOG Dedicated

Our country is going down the tubes. It is a complete police state. It is unbelieveable how the US has changed in the last two decades.

I am sitting in Greece right now. Cars can park either direction. Dogs roam free. Yet everyone seems to be just fine. Have not seen a police officer since I've been here.

I suspect many of us will live in Europe 10-20 years from now.

Sean

Little by little the government is trying to take away our freedom and liberties. If the powers that be don't get the result they're after, don't be surprised at an attempt for this to be piggybacked. :finger004

It's not even "little by little" anymore, doing it daily in bigger and bigger chunks.

I just know one day at about 3 o'clock in the morning, they're gonna kick the door down and haul most of us away. This BULLSHIT is just getting started, so just get ready guys 2938u4ji23

I regret that I did not reply to your post.

NOTE TO MODERATORS:

We're working on the software Jeff. Still in the testing stage buddy

Reno Paul

EOG Dedicated

I'll be notifying my representative on Monday.....What a crock of shit!

What's next? Implant a microchip in our hands????

Like they can't get what they want already. I don't like the possibilities, but I am also realistic in knowing this won't exactly make things different. If the government wanted to know who was gambling online there are probably even better ways for them to find out. As for everything else, imagine some analyst looking through the average person's transactions and looking for some pattern. What the hell would he find? We waste a lot of money in ways we generally forget. How many of us know what we spent last week? So what exactly is the government going to get out of it if they know better than you?

Like they can't get what they want already. I don't like the possibilities, but I am also realistic in knowing this won't exactly make things different. If the government wanted to know who was gambling online there are probably even better ways for them to find out. As for everything else, imagine some analyst looking through the average person's transactions and looking for some pattern. What the hell would he find? We waste a lot of money in ways we generally forget. How many of us know what we spent last week? So what exactly is the government going to get out of it if they know better than you?

:+money-8+

Haha Ken, and how is it that they just can't get to it now? The big mess we should be paying attention to isn't here. Pay attention to the NY Courts holding Amazon and every other e-tailer hostage for sales tax. That is the biggest boondoggle around, not this.

The General

Another Day, Another Dollar

Uncle Sam wants a chip inserted at birth for our future. Don't hide. Be willing to pay if you want to play.

Politicians are bought and sold like stocks on Wall Street.

In Maryland it is illegal for a bar to offer free food.

In Mesquite, Texas, it's a crime for children to have unusual haircuts.

I kid you not...

God bless America...:finger004

The General

Another Day, Another Dollar

God bless America...:finger004

10-4
<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Wise Guy

EOG Addicted

Little by little the government is trying to take away our freedom and liberties. If the powers that be don't get the result they're after, don't be surprised at an attempt for this to be piggybacked.

Frankly, the American people are getting the kind of government they asked for. They want a government that babysits them from cradle to grave -- so we should not be surprised when the government looks over our shoulder constantly.

If you are voting for the standard Republicans and Democrats (or not voting at all), then look in the mirror (you're part of the problem, not part of the solution).

I guess not the goverment is sticking it up all of our's

RageWizard

EOG Senior Member

Yes sodomy is illegal in several states even with consenting male and female people.

I have been using cash now for almost all of my transactions for about 10 years now when possible. I never sign up for those frequent buyer things so "they" can track my habits. I say use cash when possible and if they insist on a name and address, I tell the my name is Mr. Anan Omas living in 122 GFYS lane, Nowhere Pa. 13561.

All of this is about control and guarding against the day when its obvious that capitalism has failed just as badly or worse than communism did as a means of organizing how people live and are governed.

I'm not talking about the failure of free enterprise. Free enterprise and capitalism are about very different things. The last thing capitalists want is free enterprise. If you can't use your credit card without the government knowing about it, you don't have free enterprise, you have state surveillance and analysis of every single decision you make as a consumer.

To what acceptable social end are these measures being put in place? Who are the people who want to know this information? How will the United States people have their lives made better by this law?

In Ireland, which is not where I am now, you can legally use any name you want. Other than the passport, which many don't have, there is no requirement for any form of identification. You don't need to carry a driver's licence when driving. If you are Tommy O'Shea and use the name Jimmy Connolly for two years, you can have Jimmy Connolly on your passport.

Why is that? Firstly we are a country whose freedom was won by rebels against illegitimate authority and paid for in blood. The process of rebellion was made easier by the fact that the English often didn't have a clue who they were dealing with. Secondly, people control the government, the government doesn't control the people. The government controls only those who go outside the bounds set by the people. It doesn't take as a starting point that the entire populace are criminals and it thereby needs to know of their every move and financial transaction. When a crime is committed, the guards investigate the criminal not the entire society. And it works just fine.

Let me propose this to my American friends. On January 1st, 2009, all of you who are males change your names legally to John Doe. All of you who are females, change your names to Jane Doe. All of you who are uncertain, change your names to Uncertain. Forget your social insurance numbers or whatever you call them down there.

You'll be a long way towards regaining the freedom that your men and women are supposedly fighting for in Iraq.

Good job, Paddy. . .:cheers:cheers

the glue

EOG Veteran

I like that paddy.....We are just a bunch of sheep....Blind faith in bad leaders......

No, I don't think you're a bunch of sheep. The desire for freedom is very much alive in America, it's your mechanisms for maintaining freedom that are very defective.

I remember once at a discussion at Trinity saying that the problem with democracy was that they let stupid people vote. I didn't think that up, but I can't remember who I quoted it from. You should seen the look of horror on the faces. It was seen as shocking elitism, but it is very true.

You can spend months going over all the arguments of the candidates and have very intelligent and sophisticated analysis go into how you vote, and that vote can be negated by someone like Journeyman. For every intelligent person who goes to vote, there are ten Journeymen.

For that reason, America, a country with 80% of the voters accepting that the official story of 911 is a lie, is governed by people who are supported by the 20% who are too stupid to see through the lie.

Similarly, although there is much talk of democracy, at the end of the day a country of 300 million people is left with one of two choices from a political elite neither of which propose the best course of action for your country. And, as the 2000 election shows, even when you reject the moron, the Supreme Court can overrule the majority of you.

Ron Paul is the best candidate in this election, but he ain't running. When you know the answer to why that is, you're a ways back to regaining your democracy.

I could not have stated it any better...

agreed..:cheers

P.S.

Scarlett still has a Ron Paul bumper sticker on her car...

Trip my ducks

EOG Enthusiast

Paddy,

You've only been posting here a few days but I like your style.