Boxing.. Where are the great heavyweights?

Apple

Banned
Seems like it's been forever since a heavyweight fighter has been in the spotlight.. Where are they?:pop:

Re: Boxing.. Where are the great heavyweights?

It got all screwed up when Lennox Lewis retired. Was already on a decline, and Lewis leaving killed it. The other weight classes keep things going but the list of marketable fighters seems to decrease every year. UFC and MMA are getting a lot more attention than before and that makes it even tougher for boxing.

rjt721

EOG Master

There aren't any. Wladimir Klitschko/Samuel Peter would be a pretty big fight, but unfortunately Peter's fighting the wrong Klitschko.

Alexander Povetkin and Chris Arreola (fighting tonight) are both young and relatively talented heavies, but it's doubtful either will be anything special.

David Haye, who's moving up from cruiserweight, is a very exciting fighter who could have a lot of success at heavyweight and has the personality to be quite popular.

The fact guys like John Ruiz and Hasim Rahman are still somewhat in the title picture pretty much sums up the sad state of the heavyweight division.

Apple

Banned

rjt,

I know boxing is your favorite sport so this must really suck for you.. Are you into UFC/MMA also?

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

Boxing as a whole has declined badly. Guys make too much money to take vicious punches to the face. The boxers of today are cashing in on the Ali Frazier bloodbaths of a few decades ago. People are still paying high prices hoping they'll see something similar to what we saw decades ago and its just not happening.

Boxing is an 'art' these days....no one wants to really get in there toe/toe and punch.

rjt721

EOG Master

rjt,

I know boxing is your favorite sport so this must really suck for you.. Are you into UFC/MMA also?
Not really. Even at its best, the heavyweight division rarely possessed many fighters with great skill. There are other divisions that are loaded -- welterweight, lightweight, etc. Still plenty of good fights out there. I think the Cotto/Margarito fight next month has the potential to be one of the best in years. Great fight.

As for MMA, no, I don't know a thing about it. Just doesn't interest me at all.

ktb

A lot of potential HW champs are in the NFL or prison

rjt721

EOG Master

Who's on the card that's going to be seen on HBO?
Andre Berto vs. Miki Rodriguez, 12 rounds, for vacant WBC interim welterweight title

Chris Arreola vs. Chazz Witherspoon, 12 rounds, heavyweights

Arreola/Witherspoon should be a pretty entertaining fight.

Berto's going to be a star and is always a must-see, although he doesn't figure to be challenged much tonight.

The Abraham/Miranda bout on Showtime is the much better fight. Two guys with great power who do nothing but throw punches. One of the best fights of the year.