Property tax on cars...

some states do this, shit !

I think the assessed value should be considered a purchase offer, if you want to tax it at say 18k, then you should be willing to buy it for that !

If not then negoitate (sp) down, without hassles.

I'm sick of assessments for for more than I paid for a car.... 5 years ago.

nedrow

EOG Dedicated
Re: Property tax on cars...

why schould you have to pay for a ride on a horse you allready own:+clueless

I'm not looking for help. More of an observation. I think most states ( at least Western ones) don't tax cars as property. It's handled much like a home would be in CT.

Some here register their cars in Maine to get around it.

You can appeal it, but it's not worth the hassle.

The truck I bought around 1998 for 5k or so, listed for about 9k, but had high miles, years later still taxed at 6k, shit I'd have sold for 3k, when it hit 200k miles!

You would fight it if your house was valued 20k over market, but not worth it on a car.

Journeyman

EOG Master

I know Va has some crazy laws involving licensing and insurances and tickets for that matter.

Journeyman

EOG Master

I'm not sure about Va Doug, I know people who use Md addresses to avoid Va's crazy fee's.

I think this is something else but if you bring a vehicle from another state into Md you must pay tax on the value of the vehicle, but this is only a one time fee...are you saying you have to pay a tax on the value of the vehicle EVERY yr? If so, what is the tax rate?

I'm not sure about Va Doug, I know people who use Md addresses to avoid Va's crazy fee's.

I think this is something else but if you bring a vehicle from another state into Md you must pay tax on the value of the vehicle, but this is only a one time fee...are you saying you have to pay a tax on the value of the vehicle EVERY yr? If so, what is the tax rate?

yes exactly, it's taxed just like a home, rate depends on the mill rate of the town.

I don't know if the mill-rate is the same on cars, boats, motorcycles as it is for real estate, but I could figure it out easy enough.

House is assessed at a level below market, about 150k, but worth 250k.

Car is 2007 Honda CR-V, EXL, about 26k new in Oct 2006, now in June 2008 with 45k miles, town says its worth $18,200, and wants $388.11 property tax.

That will drop each year as the car ages, but it is every year.

My truck 2000 F-150 4X4 ( paid $4800 last year), will hit the tax roll next year, they will say it's worth 8k or something.

If these tax bills were purchase offers, they'd be lower ! :LMAO

We have it in MA and I hate when that bill shows up every year. At least it decreases as your car gets older and I guess if it wasn't for it then property tax would just be higher.

I bet you see a lot of Maine plates ( from Mass residents), too in Mass. !

Journeyman

EOG Master

I don't know if the mill-rate is the same on cars, boats, motorcycles as it is for real estate, but I could figure it out easy enough.

House is assessed at a level below market, about 150k, but worth 250k.

Car is 2007 Honda CR-V, EXL, about 26k new in Oct 2006, now in June 2008 with 45k miles, town says its worth $18,200, and wants $388.11 property tax.

That will drop each year as the car ages, but it is every year.

My truck 2000 F-150 4X4 ( paid $4800 last year), will hit the tax roll next year, they will say it's worth 8k or something.

If these tax bills were purchase offers, they'd be lower ! :LMAO

oh man, crazy.

sounds like Va. :rolleyes:

It's an incentive to drive an older car for sure. I don't even like new cars, prefer them broken in with a 100k miles anyway. My truck looks almost new, nosy neighbors thought it was brand new, drives like new, when I can justify driving it.

It would be silly to have a 25k truck, when a 5k one is all I need.

Even a car, buy it with 100k, just at the point where it loses most of its value, but still is only half-done, most cars go 200k + miles.

I've bought many late 70's Toyotas ( in the 80's) for like $300 with over 200k on them, drive for a year, do nothing much to them, sell at a profit.

One in particular was really great. It was a 77 Toyota longbed P/U with a shell, paid about $250 ( circa 1985)for it, had a cracked windshield, dents everywhere, it was barf green, ugly as sin. Got a windshield for $25 at the junkyard, gave a buddy a bag of weed to put it in for me, must have been in my fleet of junkers for 2 years+, probably put 70k on it doing nothing more than oil changes

I wish I had some photos of it. Best beater construction truck ever ! Great MPG as well. I don't think you could buy a better new truck today.

This was when I lived in San Diego.

Good info, Doug. And I'd certain agree with buying a Japanese used car. I've had Nissan's for all the years I have driven and they last for sure.

As for Maine license plates around MA, I do not see much at all. Sometimes a few from NH, but that's about it.

If you don't like your state's tax(es), why not move to another state? Seem easy enough. I did it.