Jockey hurt, horse euthanized at Churchill Downs

(AP) -- Jockey Shaun Bridgmohan received minor injuries and his horse, Vinstar, was euthanized after the horse took a spill Saturday during the first race at Churchill Downs.

Bridgmohan was taken to a Louisville hospital, but had no broken bones or serious injuries, an agent for the jockey said.

According to a statement from Churchill Downs, the 29-year-old jockey was dropped near the sixteenth pole in the six-furlong sprint when the horse appeared to take a bad step.

Bridgmohan, who rode Pyro to eighth place in this year's Kentucky Derby, appeared to be kicked by a trailing horse as he rolled under the rail.

Dr. Lafe Nichols, the state veterinarian for the Kentucky Horse Racing Authority, said Vinstar had to be euthanized after suffering sesamoid fractures in both front legs and a dislocated right front fetlock.

The 3-year-old son of Vindication was owned by Stonestreet Stable and trained by Steve Asmussen.
A second horse was euthanized in the fourth race, according the Courier-Journal.

Naughty Fu Peg was given a lethal injection after fracturing the knee of his right foreleg during the race, the newspaper reported Saturday. The 3-year-old gelding was trained by Tim Burton for owner Sano Park.

A recent Associated Press survey found that thoroughbred racetracks in the U.S. reported more than three horse deaths a day last year and 5,000 since 2003, and the vast majority were put down after suffering devastating injuries on the track.

Re: Jockey hurt, horse euthanized at Churchill Downs

Jockey hurt, horse euthanized...

Doesn't really seem fair, does it? I guess its better than the other way round.

I wonder what the ratio is between thoroughbred euthanized and standardbreds euthanized, it seems that not many harness horses are ever put down on the track.

OMNIVOROUS FROG

EOG Master

Remember I said dark days ahead for horse racing, after Eight Belles? Now congressional hearings, prompted from that incident. It is ugly. The numbers are worse than anyone imagined. I think they said 3 horses die at the track each day on average. Everyday. The long terms were even worse, 5,000 in last three years as plastic tracks are actually knocking fatalities down. The main reason is so many are just broke down wornout that one little injury and they are done because it is a business, of running animals into the ground. Especially when they are too young. No owner is going to spend rehab money on a horse long term. Some take the horses off the circuit once in awhile to rest them up, but surgery and rehab just is not feasible, let alone cost effective. I had a feeling that one injury would get the congress involved. Especially in the #1 race. This could go away, or it could get ugly. Coin flip now.

OF...oij213490

Reno Paul

EOG Dedicated

I can see it some day that all tracks across the nation will go to poly track or cushion track for the horses sake in thoroughbred racing. Seems to be headed in that direction.

OMNIVOROUS FROG

EOG Master

I wonder what the ratio is between thoroughbred euthanized and standardbreds euthanized, it seems that not many harness horses are ever put down on the track.

I worked as a shit shoveler at the harnesses when I was a teen. Friends were owners/trainers. They just don't breakdown at the track. But they also are worth close to nothing. You don't put any money into them, because they are worthless. Half the guys are owner/riders with their own stable. Otherwise they are just a big money burning tax write off. The purses generally speaking are tiny. It is little league compared to thoroughbreds. You could offer an owner $500 under the table at the stable rather than claim a $3200 claimer. Where do you think all of the worn out standardbreds end up?

OF...:+waving-5

Reno Paul

EOG Dedicated

I worked as a shit shoveler at the harnesses when I was a teen. Friends were owners/trainers. They just don't breakdown at the track. But they also are worth close to nothing. You don't put any money into them, because they are worthless. Half the guys are owner/riders with their own stable. Otherwise they are just a big money burning tax write off. The purses generally speaking are tiny. It is little league compared to thoroughbreds. You could offer an owner $500 under the table at the stable rather than claim a $3200 claimer. Where do you think all of the worn out standardbreds end up?

OF...:+waving-5

Was it at Cal Expo?

OMNIVOROUS FROG

EOG Master

Yup, way back in 70's. Was bigtime back then, only show in town. If Kings go there, meet will close. But it is peanuts to what it once was anyway. Did some state fair circuit also, but that was already cancelled long ago. I saw Sunday Silence waste overhyped Houston and made a killing, watching from the stables. We went to scout Houston, and there was a huge article in the Sac Bee touting him. Every knucklehead in world drove that price up on Sunday Silence. Bet it all the way, including the Derby later on. Very sad to have thoroughbreds leave but fair circuit are nags and mules anyway. Harnesses were better for this town. Have a photo with me in my overalls in the winner's circle signed by the driver. He did it for me after I joined the Navy. He just said, meet me at the winner's circle on a 7-2. Won by 6 lengths. It's just a good ol boys club. I'll bring that to a bash someday.

OF...:cheers

Reno Paul

EOG Dedicated

Yup, way back in 70's. Was bigtime back then, only show in town. If Kings go there, meet will close. But it is peanuts to what it once was anyway. Did some state fair circuit also, but that was already cancelled long ago. I saw Sunday Silence waste overhyped Houston and made a killing, watching from the stables. We went to scout Houston, and there was a huge article in the Sac Bee touting him. Every knucklehead in world drove that price up on Sunday Silence. Bet it all the way, including the Derby later on. Very sad to have thoroughbreds leave but fair circuit are nags and mules anyway. Harnesses were better for this town. Have a photo with me in my overalls in the winner's circle signed by the driver. He did it for me after I joined the Navy. He just said, meet me at the winner's circle on a 7-2. Won by 6 lengths. It's just a good ol boys club. I'll bring that to a bash someday.

OF...:cheers

I hope the Kings don't move there and tear down the racetrack. I still like to place wagers there from time to time at the satellite wagering facility.