Is OMAR VISQUEL a HOF'er?

Is OMAR VISQUEL a HOF'er?

• Yes

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • No

Votes: 11 78.6%

• Total voters
Re: Is OMAR VISQUEL a HOF'er?

Vizquel's stats compare favorably to those of Ozzie Smith. Vizquel's problem is that he was largely overshadowed by A-Rod and his offensive numbers as SS during the same time span.

Vizquel will most likely get in. Can't see a reason to keep him out.

Journeyman

EOG Master

No, not a HOFer....not that close.

They can't start letting guys like him in ...top 4 glove man of all time in the infield.

Brooks
Ozzie
Vizquel
Alomar

I forget who said it but someone once said regarding the HOF.....

"If I have to think about it, it's a 'no'."

munson15

I want winners...

The day they start putting guys that hit a soft .273 with zero World Series rings into the Hall of Fame will be a sad day for baseball.

Can't think of a better SS 2B duo then Vizquel and Alomar.

Pitcher: Greg Maddux, Bob Gibson, Jim Kaat.

Catcher: Johnny Bench, Ivan Rodriguez, Bob Boone, Bill Freehan, Jim Sundberg.

First Baseman: Wes Parker, Don Mattingly, Keith Hernandez, J.T. Snow, Vic Power, Bill White.

Second Baseman: Joe Morgan, Roberto Alomar, Ryne Sandberg, Bill Mazeroski, Frank White, Bobby Richardson.

Third Baseman: Brooks Robinson, Mike Schmidt, Scott Rolen, Eric Chavez, Buddy Bell, Ken Boyer.

Shortstop: Ozzie Smith, Derek Jeter, Omar Vizquel, Dave Concepcion, Luis Aparicio, Mark Belanger.

Outfielders: Willie Mays, Roberto Clemente, Ken Griffey, Jr., Jim Edmonds, Andruw Jones, Carl Yastrzemski, Ichiro Suzuki, Al Kaline, Torii Hunter, Kirby Puckett, Paul Blair, Dave Winfield, Curt Flood, Andre Dawson, Dwight Evans, Garry Maddox, Larry Walker, Devon White.

About the Rawlings Gold Glove Award?

The Rawlings Gold Glove Award? is a Registered Service Mark owned by Rawlings Sporting Goods Company, Inc. The award is correctly identified as the Rawlings Gold Glove Award?. The name should not be shortened, abbreviated or otherwise misused. Proper identification of this service mark using the registration symbol and the Rawlings name is important to protect the integrity of the program and perpetuate this worthy tradition.

The greatest measure of fielding excellence since 1957, the heralded Rawlings Gold Glove Award? is presented annually to 18 Major League Baseball players, one for each position, in both the National and American Leagues. (In 1957, only nine players received the award.) These outstanding players are selected as the best fielding players at their respective positions by Major League coaches and managers prior to the conclusion of the regular season. Managers and coaches may not select players from their own club and only vote for players in their own league.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

No, not a HOFer....not that close.

They can't start letting guys like him in ...top 4 glove man of all time in the infield.

Brooks
Ozzie
Vizquel
Alomar

Are you saying that he won't get in or doesn't deserve to get in?

Journeyman

EOG Master

Are you saying that he won't get in or doesn't deserve to get in?

I'm saying he doesn't deserve to get in and he won't get in.

I like him, he was a gamer, tough with the bat , hard to strikeout,great bunter and base runner, smart heady player, but NOT a HOFer

He played with a great team in Cleveland and gave himself up a lot. He had to take pitches to let Lofton steal. He bunted and hit to the right side. Ultimate team player. He could have hit for a much higher average.

Journeyman

EOG Master

He played with a great team in Cleveland and gave himself up a lot. He had to take pitches to let Lofton steal. He bunted and hit to the right side. Ultimate team player. He could have hit for a much higher average.

That doesn't make him a HOFer....he also batter way down in the order at times.

I don't consider him better than Dave Concepcion or Larry Bowa, and neither of them are going either. Trammell accomplished more also, and he will have a hard time.

Journeyman

EOG Master

true- there were years where he hit 9th but can't blame the Indians for Baerga batting 2nd.

Baerga seemd to have twice as much talent as Omar back then, the difference , he didn't work at it and Vizquel did.....like almost any great player it comes down to work ethic, that is what mainly seperates them.

I don't consider him better than Dave Concepcion or Larry Bowa, and neither of them are going either. Trammell accomplished more also, and he will have a hard time.

Well Jagermeister. May I call you Jaegermeister?

The decision regarding Omar Vizquel will be one that you will have to deal with the rest of your life.

Baerga seemd to have twice as much talent as Omar back then, the difference , he didn't work at it and Vizquel did.....like almost any great player it comes down to work ethic, that is what mainly seperates them.
very good points on that. Vizquel worked his ass off. I should have mentioned that Franco hit #2 alot. They had a hell of a team back then.

Well Jagermeister. May I call you Jaegermeister?

The decision regarding Omar Vizquel will be one that you will have to deal with the rest of your life.

Yes. :cheers

All three of the shortstops I mentioned have one thing Vizquel doesn't - a vital role on a WS winning team. Omar is still a very productive player. Heck he stole home last week vs Oakland. The one player who will get shafted off those Cleveland teams is Albert Belle. He really had some great stats, but will get overlooked as the Steroid-Era was just starting.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

I'm saying he doesn't deserve to get in and he won't get in.

I like him, he was a gamer, tough with the bat , hard to strikeout,great bunter and base runner, smart heady player, but NOT a HOFer

I was listening to the Padres game a week or two ago and their two commentators were talking about Visquel and his HOF possibilities and the one guy thinks he's a first ballot HOFer. Now, i dont' know if he meant he THINKS he's a first ballot HOFer or that he will get in on the first ballot.

At any rate, i think if someone offered me a bet at even money, i'd say yes he'll be elected.

You should get in if you are an all time great defensive player and he was just that.

MadCapper

Head <in> Moderation

Lineup

Lofton
Visquel
Baerga
Belle
Murray
Thome
Ramirez
Sorento
Alomar

WHAT A LINEUP!

munson15

I want winners...

Lineup

Lofton
Visquel
Baerga
Belle
Murray
Thome
Ramirez
Sorento
Alomar

WHAT A LINEUP!
Yeah, what a lineup, and with all that firepower behind him, our future Hall of Famer (first ballot, did the one guy say?) managed to score 100 runs 2 times. He batted .300 ONCE in a 20-year career, and NEVER led his league in any offensive category. Did I mention that only once in 20 years was he even in the top TWENTY in the MVP balloting? Or, that he managed all of THREE All-Star appearances? Why are we even having this discussion? The Hall of Fame was meant to be filled by the greats, the legends of the game. And people want to see Omar Vizquel go in? Look at that lineup again. He wasn't even among the top 5 players on his own team! :doh1

Journeyman

EOG Master

Lineup

Lofton
Visquel
Baerga
Belle
Murray
Thome
Ramirez
Sorento
Alomar

WHAT A LINEUP!

I loved this team....sick offensive team!

They had guys like Brian Giles , Burnitz and Ritchie Sexson down on the farm at thias time....no real pitching though, aging vets like Orel and Denny Martinez to go with Nagy...solid relief core and they needed it! Best lineup to never win ther WS? perhaps!

100-44 the one strike season! :finger004

phoich4

EOG Addicted

He's not as good as Trammel who has better numbers than at least 10 HOF SS and has yet to receive 20% of the votes on any HOF ballot.