Big Brown trainer Dutrow faces ban for improper use of Clenbuterol

LOUISVILLE, Ky. -- Rick Dutrow, trainer of Kentucky Derby and Preakness winner Big Brown, is facing a 15-day suspension by Kentucky racing officials after another horse he trains exceeded the allowable limit for a drug that increases lung capacity.

Two separate drug tests on 8-year-old gelding Salute the Count revealed the horse had twice the allowable limit of Clenbuterol in his system after finishing second in the Aegon Turf Sprint at Churchill Downs on May 2, said John Veitch, chief steward of the Kentucky Horse Racing Authority.

Clenbuterol is often used by humans who suffer from asthma. Veitch said use of the drug in horses has grown because it can increase lung capacity. It is considered a Class B drug. Though use of the drug is legal under Kentucky racing guidelines, it cannot be administered 72 hours before a race.

"It's a respiratory enhancer," Veitch said. "It's become quite popular in racing medication because it's used to train on."

Dutrow waived his right to a hearing but plans to file a written appeal, which he must do within the next 10 days. There's no timetable on when Dutrow's appeal will be heard, Veitch said.

Re: Big Brown trainer Dutrow faces ban for improper use of Clenbuterol

Lexington, KY (Sports Network) - Kentucky Derby winning trainer Rick Dutrow, Jr. has been suspended due to a horse that he trains tested positive for twice the allowable level of Clenbuterol.

DOGeatDOG

EOG Member

I bet all of the horses are illegal at some point. Do they test every horse...I doubt it.

The Devil

EOG Master

I bet all of the horses are illegal at some point. Do they test every horse...I doubt it.

i believe they check every horse that gets a piece of the purse....not sure if that's the first 4 or first 5.............