Buying a gift, whats kinda dog makes the best pet?

Re: Buying a gift, whats kinda dog makes the best pet?

They are full blooded Saint Bernards spent two years researching the bloodlines of the parents before we purchased their mom and dad.

They are spoiled rotten just to warn ya :LMAO

:( I thought they were. I have ALWAYS wanted a Saint Bernard. I just love a dog with a big fat head. Sadly, my BF has allergies and I'm already subjecting him to two cats, so I need to find a more hypoallergenic dog. Which would be the only reason I have have to go through a breeder for my next pup, but I'm going to try shelters first.

I'm glad at least one person agrees with me about breeders! My dog was the most healthy dog I've ever heard of...and such a sweet boy. I don't know if you saw this in the other thread, but here he is. I miss him every second of every day.

1995:

Winter 2002/2003:

Spring 2008-His last Picture:

Oh, and spoiled rotten is fine by me. That's the only way I know how to raise a pup!!

Blondie

EOG Master

I don't disagree that some breeders are not in it for the money; however, I fail to see the point in creating more dogs on purpose when there are so very many dogs on the planet already that have no home?

I have also adopted dogs from shelters so I do see both sides of it. Breeders do so for many different reasons. It can range from love of the breed itself to a general love of animals. If the breeder is worth even one iota money will not even be a factor in the main reasons why they do it.

There will always be a demand for purebred dogs, would you rather have someone breeding the animals because they care about the breed (a good breeder) or because they think they can get rich off of it. (a puppy mill)

I have also adopted dogs from shelters so I do see both sides of it. Breeders do so for many different reasons. It can range from love of the breed itself to a general love of animals. If the breeder is worth even one iota money will not even be a factor in the main reasons why they do it.

There will always be a demand for purebred dogs, would you rather have someone breeding the animals because they care about the breed (a good breeder) or because they think they can get rich off of it. (a puppy mill)

Can I hope for neither! :cheers

Their newest thing is fighting over who gets to go for the morning walk for coffee. They know the lady at the drive through window gives them a treat :LMAO

Yeah, Max lost his drive thru treat privilages when he almost took off the poor girl at Dunkin Donut's finger!! Sheesh! You would think I never fed that dog if he wasn't such a fat ass!

I don't disagree that some breeders are not in it for the money; however, I fail to see the point in creating more dogs on purpose when there are so very many dogs on the planet already that have no home?

To protect the bloodlines of each breed. As I said, GOOOD breeders will make sure their bitches and studs are in perfect health and have now hereditary defects in their bloodline.

Blondie

EOG Master

Yeah you do get a good workout with them on the other end of the leash.:LMAO

That would be Samson my baby I will have to hunt down a picture of the little guy :LMAO

:( I thought they were. I have ALWAYS wanted a Saint Bernard. I just love a dog with a big fat head. Sadly, my BF has allergies and I'm already subjecting him to two cats, so I need to find a more hypoallergenic dog. Which would be the only reason I have have to go through a breeder for my next pup, but I'm going to try shelters first.

I'm glad at least one person agrees with me about breeders! My dog was the most healthy dog I've ever heard of...and such a sweet boy. I don't know if you saw this in the other thread, but here he is. I miss him every second of every day.

1995:

Winter 2002/2003:

Spring 2008-His last Picture:

Oh, and spoiled rotten is fine by me. That's the only way I know how to raise a pup!!

AWWWWWWWWW

A lot of times you can tell whether a person is a good breeder or not by asking questions and honestly if you get an odd feeling about them trust your judgment. The lady we got Samson from still keeps in touch with me to this day, and if I have ANY questions I can call her and ask.

So far we have had NO health issues with any of our dogs. We had all of them checked out within 24 hours of bringing them home. Saints are known for hip problems, so we had them checked for that. We also have them checked out by the vet before we breed them to ensure there is nothing we need to take care of first.

So, you propose that all dogs just be muts?
Absolutely! I have been around all manner of dogs - spend at least 4-6 hours with different ones almost every Saturday and I can see differences in personalities - and size, of course - but nothing that makes one moer worthy of being someone's pet that another.
People are all mutts, why not dogs? ;)

AWWWWWWWWW

A lot of times you can tell whether a person is a good breeder or not by asking questions and honestly if you get an odd feeling about them trust your judgment. The lady we got Samson from still keeps in touch with me to this day, and if I have ANY questions I can call her and ask.

So far we have had NO health issues with any of our dogs. We had all of them checked out within 24 hours of bringing them home. Saints are known for hip problems, so we had them checked for that. We also have them checked out by the vet before we breed them to ensure there is nothing we need to take care of first.

Yeah, Max's hips did him in, but it wasn't displasia....just arthritis. I love the pouty face in his last picture. The gate behind him is across the kitchen because his feet would slide out from under him on the hard floor and his hips weren't strong enough for him to get back up. He did NOT like being kicked out of the room with all the crumbs on the floor!! My response to his pouting was: "Yeah, I know...I don't like having to sweep the kitchen now that you're unable to clean up for me either, but unless you want to be stuck in the middle of the room for up to 16 hours while I'm at work again, we're both going to have to deal."

Blondie

EOG Master

Can I hope for neither! :cheers

Well technically you CAN but not sure it will do any good. Would it make you feel any better that 1. about 75% of the people I have sold to had a Saint before and wanted another Saint. 2. I limit the breeding to once a year (no more day after christmas having five puppies in my house for me :+whipping) and 3. I have a detailed agreement to strive to keep these dogs out of a shelter.
Yeah, Max lost his drive thru treat privilages when he almost took off the poor girl at Dunkin Donut's finger!! Sheesh! You would think I never fed that dog if he wasn't such a fat ass!

:LMAO:LMAO:LMAOWe walk through the drive thru (small town) and the boys have learned to sit pretty and wait patiently and she will give them their treat after I get my coffee 91023i2ndw;l

To protect the bloodlines of each breed. As I said, GOOOD breeders will make sure their bitches and studs are in perfect health and have now hereditary defects in their bloodline.

A lot of research about bloodlines go into being a good breeder. One has to ensure that the negative traits are not going to be passed on and even then one has to be willing to take responsibility for the pups if they do pass on anyhow :doh1

Here's my group o' mutts:

Max: he's a shepherd/red husky mix, althought my vet thinks he's a wolf hybrid:

This is Gracie as a puppy - she's 2 now, and I think she's a lab/treeing Walker coonhound mix

And finally Oscar as a puppy - he's 2 also and from the same litter as Gracie, if you can believe that! I think he is a pointer, lab, bloodhound mix

This is Kira ... she's not mine, but up for adoption! :devil: I think she's a Golden/collie mix

Absolutely! I have been around all manner of dogs - spend at least 4-6 hours with different ones almost every Saturday and I can see differences in personalities - and size, of course - but nothing that makes one moer worthy of being someone's pet that another.
People are all mutts, why not dogs? ;)

Because different breed have very different personalities. Some people need dogs with certain qualities. Don't have a whole lot of time to play? Get a less active dog. Like to hunt? Get a hound or retiever. If all dogs were mixed, people would never know what they were getting. Don't you think more dogs would get brought back to shelters? Oops! This one looked like a Golden, but it must have something else in it because it just bit my kid's hand off! Plus, who's going to protect against inbreeding? Who's going to try to weed out breed-specific defects?

Nothing like a little "cat fight' over dog breeding on a lazy Thursday afternoon

:+excited-

I've ALWAYS said that

Sporty, I'm not saying mutts can't make great pets or that all pure breds are...just that there are arguments for both.

This is Kira ... she's not mine, but up for adoption! :devil: I think she's a Golden/collie mix

Oh. My. God. Send her to me. Marc can take claritin. :houra

You put that devil face there because you knew I would want her, didn't you? Evil.

Blondie

EOG Master

Because different breed have very different personalities. Some people need dogs with certain qualities. Don't have a whole lot of time to play? Get a less active dog. Like to hunt? Get a hound or retiever. If all dogs were mixed, people would never know what they were getting. Don't you think more dogs would get brought back to shelters? Oops! This one looked like a Golden, but it must have something else in it because it just bit my kid's hand off! Plus, who's going to protect against inbreeding? Who's going to try to weed out breed-specific defects?

Very very true on many points here except maybe the biting the kids hand off :doh1

Personalities though can differ widely even within the same breed. My male is laid back, lazy, and scared to death of storms :LMAO

My female is hyperactive, constantly going, and loves to be out in the storms.

Blondie

EOG Master

Nothing like a little "cat fight' over dog breeding on a lazy Thursday afternoon

:+excited-

I've ALWAYS said that

:finger004:finger004:finger004

Oh go chase your tail DAMN :rolleyes:

Added note: AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW that is just mean as I would LOVE to bring her home :(

:LMAO:LMAO:LMAOWe walk through the drive thru (small town) and the boys have learned to sit pretty and wait patiently and she will give them their treat after I get my coffee 91023i2ndw;l

My Max was never that patient..and I have said time and time again: that dog was smart enough to play stupid.

I had to remind him with "EASSSYYY!" every time. If I forgot and he got my finger, he looked at me like: "What? You wanted to keep that? Well, I hardly think it's my fault...you DID get a little juice on it when you were cutting up that hotdog for me."

I have two "hunting" dogs and I loathe hunting, but I love my dogs. You can tell the personality of the mix you are getting pretty easily, as I have done this on more than 100 ocassions. And, just because you get a Golden retriever purebred, doesn't always mean it's going to act the way you want it to. People bring dogs back all the time, mixed and purebred, not because of the dog, but because people suck. And there are more defects in purebreeds than in mix - by a lot. As far as inbreeding, etc., people need to be made to spay and neuter their pets. Whether it's through fining or jail time - it needs to be done. After there is no longer an overpopulation of homeless animals - then we can talk about how the best way is to make puppies.

Oh. My. God. Send her to me. Marc can take claritin. :houra

You put that devil face there because you knew I would want her, didn't you? Evil.

Yes, i did. and yes, I am truly ebil :devil: but you know I love you - ya big butthead.

Very very true on many points here except maybe the biting the kids hand off :doh1

Maybe not a kid, but if you think you're getting a Lab, but it's mixed with a more protective breed, you could have a problem if a person the dog doesn't know enters the yard or gets near the kids. Yes, every dog can attack, but the risk is higher with some breeds...not that they're mean...just over-protective. You may not want a Pit or a Boxer if you have a lot of people coming in and out of your house.

And before anyone jumps down my throat, my sister has two Boxers. They are big friggin' babies...but they act real tough...and they scare the kids in the neighborhood.

Sportsgirl Im with you on this one. How these people can advocate for breeders when tens of thousands of perfectly fine dogs get euthanized everyday is beyond me.

I have two "hunting" dogs and I loathe hunting, but I love my dogs. You can tell the personality of the mix you are getting pretty easily, as I have done this on more than 100 ocassions. And, just because you get a Golden retriever purebred, doesn't always mean it's going to act the way you want it to. People bring dogs back all the time, mixed and purebred, not because of the dog, but because people suck. And there are more defects in purebreeds than in mix - by a lot. As far as inbreeding, etc., people need to be made to spay and neuter their pets. Whether it's through fining or jail time - it needs to be done. After there is no longer an overpopulation of homeless animals - then we can talk about how the best way is to make puppies.

I've never shot a bird in my life and I had a Golden. He also was't a big fan of swimming. That's not the point. All I'm saying is that sometimes a certain breed fits a family's lifestyle better than others. You and I are more flexible. I could choose from many breeds or mixes because..well, because I love dogs...all dogs. That may not work for some people. Over population is not caused by reputable breeders...it's cause my irresponsible owners and puppy mills. Sure, you see some purbreds in shelters, but any breeder worth anything requires that you return the dog to them if you cannot keep it. So, many of those purebreds are most likely coming from pet shops and puppy mills that will sell a dog to anyone with the cash. When my parents bought Max from me, you would have thought they were adopting a kid for all the hoops they had to jump through!

Blondie

EOG Master

I will agree with you on a few points here.

1. you are very right it is often because of the people. i have turned several people down just by the look on their face when they saw the size of my male or a comment such as i work a lot, or even I have had several dogs (coming from a person in their early 20's).

2. I agree completely with the spayed or neutered to a degree... as soon as my boys are old enough, all but two of my dogs will be fixed. When selling our pups, they are either sold with breeding rights or without. If they are sold without then they are to be fixed as per the agreement. If they are sold with, I reserve the right to revoke the person's rights if I find out they are using them as a puppy mill.

Sportsgirl Im with you on this one. How these people can advocate for breeders when tens of thousands of perfectly fine dogs get euthanized everyday is beyond me.

AGAIN, I am not saying that everyone should buy their dogs from breeders, just that they aren't all evil. They are doing their jobs. Stupid owners are the reason those dogs are being put down, not the breeders.

Blondie

EOG Master

I've never shot a bird in my life and I had a Golden. He also was't a big fan of swimming. That's not the point. All I'm saying is that sometimes a certain breed fits a family's lifestyle better than others. You and I are more flexible. I could choose from many breeds or mixes because..well, because I love dogs...all dogs. That may not work for some people. Over population is not caused by reputable breeders...it's cause my irresponsible owners and puppy mills. Sure, you see some purbreds in shelters, but any breeder worth anything requires that you return the dog to them if you cannot keep it. So, many of those purebreds are most likely coming from pet shops and puppy mills that will sell a dog to anyone with the cash. When my parents bought Max from me, you would have thought they were adopting a kid for all the hoops they had to jump through!

PRECISELY :cheers

AGAIN, I am not saying that everyone should buy their dogs from breeders, just that they aren't all evil. They are doing their jobs. Stupid owners are the reason those dogs are being put down, not the breeders.

Wow you really just dont get it, do you?

I WILL say this: Anyone looking for a specific breed should ALWAYS look into the breed-specific rescues. My sister works with second chance boxer rescue and I try to donate to Yankee Golden Retriever Rescue when I can. Many even offer help with medical bills if you are willing to adopt an older dog. They're usually short on puppies because of the high demand, but you can get a pretty young dog that's already trained and the breed you want without 1.) Spending a lot of money and 2.) Running the risk of patronizing the wrong kind of breeder.

Blondie

EOG Master

Oh no... Getting Blondie started... How is the HERD???

The herd is great!

Momma (Pounder)is still hyper as always,

Daddy (Samson) just lays around and ignored momma.

Pudgy and Crawly are in the house.

Dash (the bird dog escape artist) gets loose about once a day and runs to the door to let me know he is loose in the yard :LMAO

Cupcake is still the old maid and just ignores all of them :+textinb3

and the last remaining puppy is headed to her new home soon, an older couple that have always had a Saint and their just passed away not too long ago :smokesmal

Ok - someone better tell me how adorable my three mutts are or I'm gonna start gettin' mad.:mad:

I assume you guys are pro Hitler and a fan of the KKK with all that "bloodline" talk!

Honey...you know I love those mutts. Now, how are we going to convince Marc that if I don't get Kira (?) I'm gonna shivel up and die?

Blondie

EOG Master

Honey...you know I love those mutts. Now, how are we going to convince Marc that if I don't get Kira (?) I'm gonna shivel up and die?

Do you need to borrow a five year old for a day. Big brown eyes pleading with him might work. It is how we got our bird dog :LMAO

I couldn't tell him no so I sent him to his father to ask 91023i2ndw;l

Blondie

EOG Master

Ok - someone better tell me how adorable my three mutts are or I'm gonna start gettin' mad.:mad:

I thought I did :(

They are VERY VERY adorable 91023i2ndw;l

I assume you guys are pro Hitler and a fan of the KKK with all that "bloodline" talk!

Gotta agree with Swede on this one. Your overall argument is lacking in substance instead of attacking the posters why not try to attack the post makes for a better debate. :smokesmal

She is a cutie :)

Cutie is the understatement of the year. I would kill to see that little face greet me every day after work. I do miss the puppy days! I know that when I get another dog, it will be a rescue and puppies are a little harder to find...so I may not get one...but I just love having a skunk-breathed little furball to spoil. You know, when their so cute that even if they shred you couch, all you can do is say "Awwww!" then take pictures of how cute they are covered in stuffing or sticking their head out of what used to be the arm rest...

So yeah, I wonder if I could just tell him she followed me home? :+clueless