Is EOG winning the traffic war?

hackattack

EOG Enthusiast
Re: Is EOG winning the traffic war?

Damn...the graph went out. More stats for the curious.

Reach for Eog.com:

Percent of global Internet users who visit this site
<table class="traffic_table" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><th>Yesterday</th><th>1 wk. Avg.</th><th>3 mos. Avg.</th><th>3 mos. Change</th></tr><tr><td><!--Did you know? Alexa offers this data programmatically. Visit Amazon Web Services @ Amazon.com for more information about the Alexa Web Information Service.-->0.130016%</td><td><!--Did you know? Alexa offers this data programmatically. Visit Amazon Web Services @ Amazon.com for more information about the Alexa Web Information Service.-->260.0021%</td><td><!--Did you know? Alexa offers this data programmatically. Visit Amazon Web Services @ Amazon.com for more information about the Alexa Web Information Service.-->0.00259%</td><td> <!--Did you know? Alexa offers this data programmatically. Visit Amazon Web Services @ Amazon.com for more information about the Alexa Web Information Service.-->19%</td></tr></tbody></table>

Traffic Rank for Eog.com:

Alexa traffic rank based on a combined measure of page views and users (reach)
<table class="traffic_table" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><th>Yesterday</th><th>1 wk. Avg.</th><th>3 mos. Avg.</th><th>3 mos. Change</th></tr><tr><td><!--Did you know? Alexa offers this data programmatically. Visit Amazon Web Services @ Amazon.com for more information about the Alexa Web Information Service.-->64,41691</td><td><!--Did you know? Alexa offers this data programmatically. Visit Amazon Web Services @ Amazon.com for more information about the Alexa Web Information Service.-->7340,208</td><td><!--Did you know? Alexa offers this data programmatically. Visit Amazon Web Services @ Amazon.com for more information about the Alexa Web Information Service.-->32,83687</td><td> <!--Did you know? Alexa offers this data programmatically. Visit Amazon Web Services @ Amazon.com for more information about the Alexa Web Information Service.-->96672,948575</td></tr></tbody></table>

Page Views per user for Eog.com:

The number of unique pages viewed per user per day for this site
<table class="traffic_table" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><th>Yesterday</th><th>1 wk. Avg.</th><th>3 mos. Avg.</th><th>3 mos. Change</th></tr><tr><td><!--Did you know? Alexa offers this data programmatically. Visit Amazon Web Services @ Amazon.com for more information about the Alexa Web Information Service.-->9385</td><td><!--Did you know? Alexa offers this data programmatically. Visit Amazon Web Services @ Amazon.com for more information about the Alexa Web Information Service.-->14</td><td><!--Did you know? Alexa offers this data programmatically. Visit Amazon Web Services @ Amazon.com for more information about the Alexa Web Information Service.-->16</td><td> <!--Did you know? Alexa offers this data programmatically. Visit Amazon Web Services @ Amazon.com for more information about the Alexa Web Information Service.-->3662625848%</td></tr></tbody></table>

Eog.com users come from these countries:

United States71.0%
Canada6.4%
India2.4%
Ireland2.0%
Italy1.9%

More eog.com users...
United States71.0%
Canada6.4%
India2.4%
Ireland2.0%
Italy1.9%
Costa Rica1.8%
New Zealand1.8%
United Kingdom1.6%
South Africa1.1%
Germany1.0%
Australia0.8%
Israel0.5%
Spain0.5%
France0.4%
Mexico0.3%
Thailand0.3%
Russia0.3%
Greece0.3%
Brazil0.3%
Philippines0.2%
Other countries5.1%

Less...

Eog.com traffic rank in other countries:

Ireland<!--Did you know? Alexa offers this data programmatically. Visit Amazon Web Services @ Amazon.com for more information about the Alexa Web Information Service.-->8,7197740
United States<!--Did you know? Alexa offers this data programmatically. Visit Amazon Web Services @ Amazon.com for more information about the Alexa Web Information Service.-->10,878
Canada<!--Did you know? Alexa offers this data programmatically. Visit Amazon Web Services @ Amazon.com for more information about the Alexa Web Information Service.-->17,3665
India<!--Did you know? Alexa offers this data programmatically. Visit Amazon Web Services @ Amazon.com for more information about the Alexa Web Information Service.-->7243,100
Italy<!--Did you know? Alexa offers this data programmatically. Visit Amazon Web Services @ Amazon.com for more information about the Alexa Web Information Service.-->2389,9083486

More eog.com traffic rank...
Costa Rica<!--Did you know? Alexa offers this data programmatically. Visit Amazon Web Services @ Amazon.com for more information about the Alexa Web Information Service.-->1,949707
New Zealand<!--Did you know? Alexa offers this data programmatically. Visit Amazon Web Services @ Amazon.com for more information about the Alexa Web Information Service.-->27314,2398675
Ireland<!--Did you know? Alexa offers this data programmatically. Visit Amazon Web Services @ Amazon.com for more information about the Alexa Web Information Service.-->8,9277040
United States<!--Did you know? Alexa offers this data programmatically. Visit Amazon Web Services @ Amazon.com for more information about the Alexa Web Information Service.-->10,878
Canada<!--Did you know? Alexa offers this data programmatically. Visit Amazon Web Services @ Amazon.com for more information about the Alexa Web Information Service.-->17,365
Israel<!--Did you know? Alexa offers this data programmatically. Visit Amazon Web Services @ Amazon.com for more information about the Alexa Web Information Service.-->44,336
South Africa<!--Did you know? Alexa offers this data programmatically. Visit Amazon Web Services @ Amazon.com for more information about the Alexa Web Information Service.-->4484,670
Philippines<!--Did you know? Alexa offers this data programmatically. Visit Amazon Web Services @ Amazon.com for more information about the Alexa Web Information Service.-->271354,42149
Thailand<!--Did you know? Alexa offers this data programmatically. Visit Amazon Web Services @ Amazon.com for more information about the Alexa Web Information Service.-->67,97653
India<!--Did you know? Alexa offers this data programmatically. Visit Amazon Web Services @ Amazon.com for more information about the Alexa Web Information Service.-->857374,10780
Italy<!--Did you know? Alexa offers this data programmatically. Visit Amazon Web Services @ Amazon.com for more information about the Alexa Web Information Service.-->899378,8309684876
Greece<!--Did you know? Alexa offers this data programmatically. Visit Amazon Web Services @ Amazon.com for more information about the Alexa Web Information Service.-->93,37983577
Australia<!--Did you know? Alexa offers this data programmatically. Visit Amazon Web Services @ Amazon.com for more information about the Alexa Web Information Service.-->119157356228047,020
United Kingdom<!--Did you know? Alexa offers this data programmatically. Visit Amazon Web Services @ Amazon.com for more information about the Alexa Web Information Service.-->244141,7867148
Mexico<!--Did you know? Alexa offers this data programmatically. Visit Amazon Web Services @ Amazon.com for more information about the Alexa Web Information Service.-->14092491,924
France<!--Did you know? Alexa offers this data programmatically. Visit Amazon Web Services @ Amazon.com for more information about the Alexa Web Information Service.-->55199903,99582
Spain<!--Did you know? Alexa offers this data programmatically. Visit Amazon Web Services @ Amazon.com for more information about the Alexa Web Information Service.-->208,75202
Brazil<!--Did you know? Alexa offers this data programmatically. Visit Amazon Web Services @ Amazon.com for more information about the Alexa Web Information Service.-->245,809
Russia<!--Did you know? Alexa offers this data programmatically. Visit Amazon Web Services @ Amazon.com for more information about the Alexa Web Information Service.-->1476943631643,845093
Germany<!--Did you know? Alexa offers this data programmatically. Visit Amazon Web Services @ Amazon.com for more information about the Alexa Web Information Service.-->3364891472,606

Less...

Where people go on Eog.com:

• <!--Did you know? Alexa offers this data programmatically. Visit Amazon Web Services @ Amazon.com for more information about the Alexa Web Information Service.-->78for7u58ms.e7546og.c36om - <!--Did you know? Alexa offers this data programmatically. Visit Amazon Web Services @ Amazon.com for more information about the Alexa Web Information Service.-->91%
  • <!--Did you know? Alexa offers this data programmatically. Visit Amazon Web Services @ Amazon.com for more information about the Alexa Web Information Service.-->e93og.com - <!--Did you know? Alexa offers this data programmatically. Visit Amazon Web Services @ Amazon.com for more information about the Alexa Web Information Service.-->9%

May was our busiest month since our stats began being tracked in the CP Panel in April '07

June has already passed up May in New posts, new threads, and new registrations with less than a week to go in this month

:cheers

mofome

Banned

we're def lucky to have those we do. lots of different personalities here and talented guys.

mofome

Banned

Not a chance in hell. Go to the baseball forums for each site everday this upcoming week and tell me what you find. I'd save you the time by saying it myself, but for those of you that are a bit too naive, this will be a more eye-opening experience.

Doesn't mean EOG is 'worse' or 'better' - but in terms of traffic, incredibly difficult to believe that EOG is near RX.

I will say this much, I think EOG's offshore forum is entertaining.

Its easy to keep track of which forums are most active. For a while SBR was kinda close to therx and eog was a distant 3rd. As of the last few months ego has been about even with sbr and both below therx.

sl55

EOG Veteran

Its easy to keep track of which forums are most active. For a while SBR was kinda close to therx and eog was a distant 3rd. As of the last few months ego has been about even with sbr and both below therx.

Whats ego got to do with Sbr and Rx:+clueless

5 star bomb

EOG Master

Not a chance in hell. Go to the baseball forums for each site everday this upcoming week and tell me what you find. I'd save you the time by saying it myself, but for those of you that are a bit too naive, this will be a more eye-opening experience.

Doesn't mean EOG is 'worse' or 'better' - but in terms of traffic, incredibly difficult to believe that EOG is near RX.

Dsethi it is good to see you over here more often lately. EOG is the top forum right now. I cant wait to see how crazy it gets over here once football rolls around....

12io4j2w90

Apple

Banned

We got a good thing going here.. I don't remember seeing this much traffic at EOG unless there was drama going on.. Nowadays drama isn't needed to generate traffic here, it's just here..

Journeyman

EOG Master

Don;t say that to Jman, he just might

Where do u get your jokes from?

So orginal, fricken mental case....you with the wife this month or going at it solo? ::LMAO::

'Anyone near Bills stadium, need some info, heading there this weekend to see Buff and Cinn' :rolleyes:

Bigimbosol :rolleyes:

Fordfield

EOG Addicted

If you take all the paid posters.... from all the sites....have to think EOG numbers would take the biggest hit.....Stats can be whatever you want them to be.....

Thanks for your honesty and I agree...

Apple

Banned

Thanks for your honesty and I agree...

He made a similar post yesterday and I agreed with it.. He's 100% right no question about it..

But we also have to consider the fact that Rx has been around much longer and has ACE-ACE there..

kidslick

EOG Dedicated

sharp post

go to this link and click on (last activity) (show's you what posters are viewing)

http://forums.eog.com/online.php

than compare it across the street

big difference..........fwiw

with that I do agree EOG is making up ground , I am sure Kenny is proud of both accomplishments

Journeyman

EOG Master

Kid, it use to be 3.2 to 1 last yr

It is now more like 3 to 2.3....

I have done these stats for both sites for 4 years.

If EOG is serious about winning any forum war, the servers must be upgraded. They are better now than before, but still tend to lock-up at times. What happens when traffic triples in the fall?

hackattack

EOG Enthusiast

If EOG is serious about winning any forum war, the servers must be upgraded. They are better now than before, but still tend to lock-up at times. What happens when traffic triples in the fall?

Very true. Cut and pasted below but I can't make sense of it.
The basic message is 96% of sites are faster the EOG.

Site Stats for eog.com:

hackattack

EOG Enthusiast

Good points dsethi, but the fact is EOG has surpassed Rx on internet traffic between the two sites. You have pointed the potential problems ahead, I am sure Shrink will make the necessary adjustments when the time comes.

Shrink - glad you didn'take it as a knock, as it wasn't supposed to be in any sense. I've already expressed many a time how I feel about the constant comparisons posters try to draw between various forums.

The problem is that posters are referring to this more and more as a 'war' of sorts. So, if EOG wins the 'war' and becomes top dog in terms of traffic, who wins? I'd think only a small handful of posters would feel a certain amount of pride for contributing to that, and for them it may even result in a pay increase. So for those posters, I understand you wanting to position yourselves in this manner, but I'm sure Shrink's smart to look purely at the site's metrics to determine how EOG is really doing, and that, and that alone I believe is what would contribute to a pay raise.

i.e. mofome has proven to generate the most traffic across the board on a forum (from what I've seen, Jman may disagree). That increase in traffic is observable and measurable (all one would really have to d is compare SBR to EOG on various metrics). He's not going to get paid more for creating even more threads, increasing his # posts/day, etc. There's also as reason I think mofome never talks about the traffic. I think he's smart enough not to do that, and knows it doesn't benefit him, or the site, in the least by discussing it explicitly in the open. I hope that mofome does leverage gains in traffic and his personal contributions in his reviews w/Shrink, but making them public or discussing traffic w/the rest of the board doesn't make sense IMO

An issue to be raised, however, is the eventual saturation of the main offshore forum. As you have more posters that become loyal and post actively in here, you not only get the sense that the same posters are commenting all the time (this has already surfaced), but you also divert traffic from the subforums. One school of thought would be that, b/c you're driving users to the site at all, including the offshore page, they will eventually browse the rest of the site. However, we can call agree that the rest of the site is severely underdeveloped when you do compare it to a place like the RX, and that saturation of the offshore may eventually lead a more serious sports bettor away from the site, as they're sifting through the same pages to get to the answers and opinions they want, or even the posters they'd like to tail or follow. And I have to think that if this site is driving revenue by referrals through the links above the forum, you're potentially hurting your business by not adding significant value at the subforum level, and providing posters a reason to check them, check plays, and possibly click on the above link.

This is all rambling and I likely don't understand the sports forum landscape/environment, but I have asked explicitly before how these forums generate revenue and have yet to hear a clear answer anywhere, and would love to, not only for my own personal edification, but b/c inevitably I, or someone else would actually brainstorm on how to better or further generate revenue for Shrink and whoever else owns a forum. Ain't got shit else to do besides figure out how other people can make money I guess.

Dsethi,
I've never commented in your or your bro's threads ever in my life. Now looks to be the time. You make very valid points here in this thread. I gotta say that I'm pleasantly suprised how observant you and others can be. Nice work. Take away the paid posters here and I believe your right. EOG would take a substantial hit. But that said, I think we're only talking about a forum that is 2 or 3 years old in August. So, for future growth these "paid posters" may be needed to sustain growth until the SEO's and such help pack in the educated posters.

Now these forums make money by their sheets and flat fee advertising. Take WSEX for example. They have a company like Fluid Advertising look at were they want the book advertised. I owned my own small forum for awhile and a company like that paid 1200 for football season. But that is for a real small forum. Now for a place like this it will be more. Much more. They do not offer a affiliate as far as I know.
For the other books that are riskier, the forums usually get a flat fee per month and then a % of losses of all people that sign up thru their banner. That can be big money if people are following a loser like say ACE ACE last season. I personally have had accounts for years at most books. This type of payout is key to why sites like this pay programmers for SEO work. New cappers, and not retired RX posters are how a site like EOG makes money.
Other than some server issues, this place is doing alright. It can only get better, and it will continue to improve. It will take some more decent cappers showing their face here during different sports seasons. I'll stick it out for a few more seasons of MLB capping to do my part.

APPLE

Apple

Banned

Shrink - glad you didn'take it as a knock, as it wasn't supposed to be in any sense. I've already expressed many a time how I feel about the constant comparisons posters try to draw between various forums.

The problem is that posters are referring to this more and more as a 'war' of sorts. So, if EOG wins the 'war' and becomes top dog in terms of traffic, who wins? I'd think only a small handful of posters would feel a certain amount of pride for contributing to that, and for them it may even result in a pay increase. So for those posters, I understand you wanting to position yourselves in this manner, but I'm sure Shrink's smart to look purely at the site's metrics to determine how EOG is really doing, and that, and that alone I believe is what would contribute to a pay raise.

i.e. mofome has proven to generate the most traffic across the board on a forum (from what I've seen, Jman may disagree). That increase in traffic is observable and measurable (all one would really have to d is compare SBR to EOG on various metrics). He's not going to get paid more for creating even more threads, increasing his # posts/day, etc. There's also as reason I think mofome never talks about the traffic. I think he's smart enough not to do that, and knows it doesn't benefit him, or the site, in the least by discussing it explicitly in the open. I hope that mofome does leverage gains in traffic and his personal contributions in his reviews w/Shrink, but making them public or discussing traffic w/the rest of the board doesn't make sense IMO

An issue to be raised, however, is the eventual saturation of the main offshore forum. As you have more posters that become loyal and post actively in here, you not only get the sense that the same posters are commenting all the time (this has already surfaced), but you also divert traffic from the subforums. One school of thought would be that, b/c you're driving users to the site at all, including the offshore page, they will eventually browse the rest of the site. However, we can call agree that the rest of the site is severely underdeveloped when you do compare it to a place like the RX, and that saturation of the offshore may eventually lead a more serious sports bettor away from the site, as they're sifting through the same pages to get to the answers and opinions they want, or even the posters they'd like to tail or follow. And I have to think that if this site is driving revenue by referrals through the links above the forum, you're potentially hurting your business by not adding significant value at the subforum level, and providing posters a reason to check them, check plays, and possibly click on the above link.

This is all rambling and I likely don't understand the sports forum landscape/environment, but I have asked explicitly before how these forums generate revenue and have yet to hear a clear answer anywhere, and would love to, not only for my own personal edification, but b/c inevitably I, or someone else would actually brainstorm on how to better or further generate revenue for Shrink and whoever else owns a forum. Ain't got shit else to do besides figure out how other people can make money I guess.

Good post.. baseball section has dramatically improved the last couple of weeks wouldn't you say?

I think when the major sports start coming back that will work itself out. It's dead season right now for the forums that is why a lot of offtopic stuff is discussed.. It's not just here.

5 star bomb

EOG Master

is dsethi paid at rx? he is sticking up for them big time... just take it for what it is D. EOG has taken over traffic wise, once football season comes around it will be easier to see see which forum is actually better. For now its close but EOG is definitely on the up swing while rx has been declining for a while now

Just oij213490

EOG :party

I post at alot (not SBR anymore dumb asses) but get the must input and quailty right here
IMHO:pop:

is dsethi paid at rx? he is sticking up for them big time... just take it for what it is D. EOG has taken over traffic wise, once football season comes around it will be easier to see see which forum is actually better. For now its close but EOG is definitely on the up swing while rx has been declining for a while now

Dsethi is a good guy, speaks his mind whether someone agrees with him or not. I got a ton of respect for him and his bro both personally.

No reason to be "at war" with any other forum, we just need to keep doing our own thing and entertaining and hopefully helping out each other with good info, ect...

Everything else will take care of itself

EOG has come a long way in the past 6 months or so, and a lot of people here (too many to name individually) deserve credit for that 91023i2ndw;l