Leonard (Len) K. Bias has been dead as long as he was alive

But here we are, and what's done is done. Time has been served, and the bodies have been buried, and a mother continues to tell the only story she knows, the only story she cares to believe. She has heard of the controversy over mandatory minimum sentences and the role of her son's death in the process, and she has heard of the continued corruption of college sports and of the Hall of Fame career of Lefty Driesell -- she still attends Maryland games with her grandchildren on occasion -- but these push-and-pulls over legislation and administration are not her greatest concerns.

Her concerns, and the mission she has been charged with, are more concrete, more personal. She has aspirations of building a youth center in Prince George's County, named after her children. She believes that by addressing the way these modern children see themselves, she can affect the decisions they make. She believes this is her calling. She believes her son died for this very reason, to be a cautionary tale, to be a martyr. And we can fret all we want over the legacy of Len Bias, or the lack thereof, over whether, as one newspaper columnist wrote in the aftermath, ignorance should be a reason for heroism, or whether, as Lonise Bias says, "He went down to give life." Because she knows she is right.

"It's not that I'm just some airhead that's just full of faith," she says. "It's just that you have to move on. And through your faith, you believe that things are working out for good, and when you see you're impacting people's lives as a result of this horrific thing that happened, and whether it be a lie or a truth, you continue to move forward in the midst of it."

Rest of the long good article here

ESPN - The Day Innocence Died - E-ticket

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
Re: Leonard (Len) K. Bias has been dead as long as he was alive

i am sorry he is dead - a truly sad story

HOWEVER - i can't find it within myself to shed ONE TEAR for him. he commited "suicide" and thus I can't "cry" for him. He killed HIMSELF - NO ONE ELSE DID!

Sorry you are gone Len because of the pain of the people you left behind had to have felt - but i dont shed a tear for your passing

Winky , sad story in many ways. how many posters said to themselves , "who in the hell is Len Bias?"

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!

Winky , sad story in many ways. how many posters said to themselves , "who in the hell is Len Bias?"

sadly - too many

i remember the day it happened. i was very happy the Celtics lost their draft pick because he was that good and would have helped them........although i was NOT Happy he died. if he had badly hurt his ankle or something and couldn't play i would have been happier - but while i was happy the Celtics blew their draft choice i was not happy Bias died

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

I heard about Bias and knew he died many years ago, but i never realized he died of his own hand. I always thought he died on the court during a game (and thats why his teammates were shooting free throws lefthanded)

Interesting stuff on wikipedia about Bias and his demise.

Enfuego

EOG Dedicated

I heard about Bias and knew he died many years ago, but i never realized he died of his own hand. I always thought he died on the court during a game (and thats why his teammates were shooting free throws lefthanded)

Interesting stuff on wikipedia about Bias and his demise.

Are you being serious? The teammates you're thinking of are teammates of Hank Gathers who died on the court of a heart ailment. Bo Kimball used to shoot his free throws in the NCAA tourney left handed because Hank was left handed.

I remember it all like it was yesterday. He got drafted, had his pictures taken with all the other draft picks. And then just dead.

roseman

EOG Dedicated

Yup, drafted one day by Boston and then the next he is dead from cocaine.

WVU

EOG Master

I lived in the dorm suite he lived in the following year after his death. I looked and I could not find any hidden stash.

Heim

EOG Master

This must be a relative of TomBrady#1.....

Bizarre threads with Eastern flavor.

jacksorbetter

EOG Dedicated

I lived in the dorm suite he lived in the following year after his death. I looked and I could not find any hidden stash.

What dorm was that WVU? If I remember correctly, Washington? Wasn't it a very small dorm in # of rooms?

5 star bomb

EOG Master

Bias and Earl "the goat" manigault both would have been stars

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vBzY7F2lMNo&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vBzY7F2lMNo&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>