Interesting week ahead at Wimbledon

London: ?Federer looks the part, but questions remain,? read a headline in the sports columns of your newspaper on June 30, 2003. The article that followed set out to offer a preview of the second week of that year?s Wimbledon championships.

Since then, tens of millions of words ? including every adulatory adjective ever employed in every major language on the planet ? have been written about a man who, only six months ago, appeared to be the only popular candidate for the title of the Greatest Of All Time.

If Federer and Nadal do meet in the final for a third year in a row, and if the match goes to a fifth as it did last year, the Spaniard is unlikely to throw it all away.

This should really be an interesting week at Wimbledon.

Full article

The Hindu : Sport : Interesting week ahead at Wimbledon

P2M

EOG Member
Re: Interesting week ahead at Wimbledon

Honestly, I like Nadal to take home the title on Sunday! The kid is on fire this year and he came soo close last year to taking out Roger... I think he gets over the hump this year and beats Rog in the Final! It won't be easy as Federer has stepped his game up considerably over the last few weeks though... However, Nadal is playing as good right now as Federer has in the last few years, IMO!

Also I think Nadal probably wins today but Youzhny is good enough to get a set. I put a small wager on that.

Second-ranked Rafael Nadal has advanced to the quarterfinals at Wimbledon.

The Spaniard beat Mikhail Youzhny of Russia 6-3, 6-3, 6-1 on Court 1 on Monday.

During the second game of the match, Nadal had an injury scare after stumbling.

Extra strapping was attached to Nadal's right leg by his trainer, but he didn't appear to be troubled as he completed the victory in 2 hours, 10 minutes.

###################################################

Five-time champion Roger Federer has advanced to the quarterfinals at Wimbledon with a straight sets win over Lleyton Hewitt of Australia.

Hewitt, the last man to win the Wimbledon title before the top-seeded Federer, was ousted 7-6 (7), 6-2, 6-4 on Monday.

After a tight first set, Federer broke Hewitt in the opening game of the second set and breezed to a 4-0 lead.

Roger Federer stretched his winning streak on grass to 64 matches and reached the Wimbledon semifinals Wednesday by beating Mario Ancic 6-1, 7-5, 6-4.

Nadal just started