Is Ken Griffey, Jr. the 2nd best CF of all time?

I can't think of anyone better than Griffey other than Willie Mays. Can you guys? I am talking about all around - hitting, power, rbi's, sb, and defense.

:houra

Salo

EOG Dedicated
Re: Is Ken Griffey, Jr. the 2nd best CF of all time?

Too bad he had injury issues for the first few years in Cincy or he might have passed Hank Aaron too.

MadCapper

Head <in> Moderation

Mantle, Dimaggio both better than Griffey.

If you talk about Griffey's injuries then you have to talk about Mantle's too!

Salo

EOG Dedicated

Are you talking about fielding or batting MC?

MadCapper

Head <in> Moderation

Are you talking about fielding or batting MC?

I havent seen Mantle or Joe D. But the people who have seen them play laugh when I put Griffey in the same sentence as them.

dirty

EOG Master

They say the Difference defensively between Aaron and Mays was Mays hat flew off when he ran... Aaron Played the Corners in the OF because of his Good Arm. He could have played CF but they don't put the best arm in the OF in Center Field ever.....

DrunkHorseplayer

EOG Addicted

Very close between Mantle and Griffey for best CF ever; and Griffey still might pass Aaron.

ShavenCoinpurse

EOG Dedicated

Your so called 2nd best CF of all time doesn't even play CF anymore. He plays RF.....

I can't believe Dave Winfield is not in the discussion!

THE HITMAN

EOG Dedicated

All of these questions of "Best Ever" really can't be answered definitively, and I have a personal chuckle each time I see one. Funny how today's under 40 fan will most often vote for a player from the past 25 years or so. To most of them, the mention of a Cobb or DiMaggio or even Mantle is just an afterthought of an old man with a small glove.
To get back to Griffey, the answer , from my perspective, is no. As my afterthought of him.............maybe it would be higher if he would run out more ground balls. And, not go into his slow trot with fly balls. I saw him hit one to the fence a couple of weeks ago, maybe it was going to be caught, maybe bounce off the fence. But, there's 'ol Griff watching it & trotting to first base. I don't know, but this doesn't fit my description of 2nd best CF ever.

fred lynn was my fav...should have stayed in boston....same with johnny damon!!!