5tp's "potential hall of famer" thread. Today's HOF candidate: Carlos DelGado

Just turned 36 last week.

446 homers,

I say yes if he gets to 500 HR's, but they may need to make a new "SLUGGERS" wing for all the 90's - 00's slugger type of guys. There seems to be a lot of them.

MadCapper

Head <in> Moderation
Re: 5tp's "potential hall of famer" thread. Today's HOF candidate: Carlos DelGado

your thread? :)

Re: 5tp's "potential hall of famer" thread. Today's HOF candidate: Carlos DelGado

Not even close. Cooperstown should be shut down if this goofball even sniffs an induction.

The Devil

EOG Master

HE MAY GET IN ON HIS FIELDING..........HIS HITTING IS QUESTIONABLE.........

THE HITMAN

EOG Dedicated

Don't know, but I hope not.

munson15

I want winners...

I doubt it, power numbers from his era are going to be looked at with a jaundiced eye, and he didn't contribute on the defensive side or run very well. A .278 hitter even with 500 homers in the steroid era is going to have a tough time of it, unless he has many other factors in his favor, which Delgado does not.

Add me to the no's. He had quite a few years around the 40 HR mark but I'm still saying no.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!

Not even close. Cooperstown should be shut down if this goofball even sniffs an induction.

100% agree with all you said

if he gets in and people like Jim Rice, Dale Murphy and Bert Blyleven (diff position - i realize that) can't/don't get in - NO WAY should Carlos

he is in the "Hall of Pretty Good" but NOT "Fame"

Delgado's recent decline has been almost startling... (juice?). I'd say no to Delgado. Good player but not great.

trytrytry

All I do is trytrytry

i dont see how he could get in

Newsday.com

Delgado has become one of Mets' reliable leaders

BY BARBARA BARKER
barbara.barker@newsday.com
August 22, 2008
<SCRIPT language=JavaScript src="http://ad.doubleclick.net/adj/trb.newsday/sports/baseball/mets;rs=10017;ptype=ps;slug=ny-spdel225811656aug22;rg=ur;ref=newsdaycom;pos=1;dcopt=ist;sz=300x250;tile=1;at=David Wright;at=Philadelphia Phillies;at=New York Mets;at=Major League Baseball;at=Carlos Delgado;at=Baseball;at=Sports;ord=68686205?" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT><NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT>
Carlos Delgado is running the show out there. So says manager Jerry Manuel, a guy who along with just about everyone else in the Mets organization wasn't terribly impressed with the way the first baseman was carrying himself earlier in the season.

Delgado helped power the Mets to their ninth win in their last 10 when his ninth-inning single off the glove of Braves leftfielder Omar Infante scored David Wright with the winning run in their 5-4 victory last night.

It was Delgado's fifth hit of the game, marking just the second time in his career that he has gotten five hits. Delgado had three RBIs and has driven in 49 runs in his last 48 games.

But it is not just Delgado's prowess at the plate that has made Manuel into a believer. It's the way he's interacting with his teammates.

"I think what he has done is really invested in the team," Manuel said after the game, which increased the Mets' lead over the Phillies to 2 1/2 games. "He's the head guy, so the investment he has made in his teammates says a lot about the leadership."

It was clear that Delgado felt nothing but confidence when he walked to the plate with one out and David Wright on second.

"I felt pretty good today," Delgado said. "I felt good and I was seeing the ball good."

Manuel says that he can see the change in his first baseman when his team is in the field.

"He's the guy going to the mound, settling the pitcher, talking to the catcher," Manuel said. "He's really invested not only offensively, but in running things out there. You see David Wright out there doing the same thing. Hopefully it's contagious."

Earlier in the year, the Mets were a talented, underperforming team of individuals who all seemed a little too worried about themselves. Maybe no one personified that more than Delgado, who began July with a .228 average and had been dropped as low as seventh in the lineup.

The only sure thing about Delgado at that time was that the Mets probably weren't planning on picking up the $12-million option on his contract for next season. Now, he's hitting .321 since July 1 and has won the confidence of his manager.

Said Manuel: "He's a very important guy down the stretch for us."

Copyright ? 2008, Newsday Inc.
<!-- SiteCatalyst code version: H.1.Copyright 1997-2005 Omniture, Inc. More info available athttp://www.omniture.com --><SCRIPT src="/central/javascript/mtrx/s_code.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT>