Cubs looking to get Harden

Chicago Sun-Times
Cubs hope to get Rich; Harden pursuit to heat up
With Sabathia off the market, North Siders turn attention to A's Harden

July 7, 2008
Recommend (90)

BY CHRIS DE LUCA cdeluca@suntimes.com

ST. LOUIS -- If Cubs general manager Jim Hendry is having a tough time reading manager Lou Piniella's wish list, it's because of all that Wite-Out.

Not long ago, Piniella wanted a speedster who could hit left-handed, and the answer was ''wait and see.'' Then he asked for a lefty-hitting outfielder and got Jim Edmonds. These days, there is only one glaring need -- a craving that likely will have to hold the Cubs until October.
? Click to enlarge image
The Cubs have been working on a deal for Rich Harden for at least a month.

(AP)

RELATED STORIES
Vote: Will Brewers win Central? Ramirez helps plan Soriano's travels Credit it as a team rebound Brewers acquire Sabathia Inside the Cubs: Blog updates

''Jim and I have talked,'' Piniella said Sunday. ''The consensus here probably is another starting pitcher.''

The Cubs' pipe dream was ace left-hander C.C. Sabathia, but he's headed from the Cleveland Indians to the Milwaukee Brewers in a deal that is expected to become official today. Deep down, the Cubs knew they didn't have a package of young talent to compete with the Brewers' offer. Still, this was a tough blow watching the reigning American League Cy Young Award winner go to the second-place -- that's right second-place -- Brewers.

The Cubs have spent a lot of time on the phone recently with Oakland Athletics general manager Billy Beane trying to pry away right-hander Rich Harden. Expect the phone lines to start burning a little hotter beginning today.

Beane's in a tough spot. This season was supposed to be about rebuilding -- at least, that's what he told us last winter after dealing pitcher Dan Haren to the Arizona Diamondbacks and outfielder Nick Swisher to the White Sox for a combined nine prospects, including five starting pitchers. Then the A's -- even after dropping two straight to the White Sox over the weekend -- made a run in the watered-down AL West, sitting six games behind the fragile Los Angeles Angels.

Now seems like a bad time for Beane to pull the trigger, no matter how much the Cubs call.

Waiting for Harden could last right up to the July 31 non-waivers trade deadline. Thanks to the second consecutive solid outing by left-hander Sean Marshall on Sunday during a 7-1 victory over the St. Louis Cardinals, the Cubs can afford a little patience.

Or they could move to Plan C and call the San Diego Padres to inquire about veteran left-hander Randy Wolf, who commands Hendry's respect.

As much as the Cubs covet Harden -- and they have been working this deal for at least a month -- Piniella likes having another lefty in his rotation along with Ted Lilly. Marshall could be the one, though the 25-year-old needs to show a longer stretch of consistency.

''I like the idea of two lefties in the rotation because our bullpen is [mostly] right-handed,'' Piniella said. ''We've got one lefty out there right now in Neal Cotts, and he's doing a real nice job. But that's it. All of a sudden, you put a couple of lefties in your rotation, and it plays into the strength of your right-handed bullpen.''

With his one-run, six-hit effort in six innings, Marshall (1-2) bought himself another start Saturday against the San Francisco Giants, moving right-hander Sean Gallagher to the bullpen.

''Over the two years I've been here, that's as good as I've seen him throw the ball,'' Piniella said of Marshall, who struck out four and walked one. ''I like Marshall. The one good thing about Marshall, too, is I can skip him around in the rotation and he'll pitch probably just as well, or maybe a little better, with more rest. That's an advantage.''

Several questions loom over the Cubs' rotation. Will Marshall stay consistent over the long haul? Will All-Star Ryan Dempster run out of gas his first season back in the rotation? Will Carlos Zambrano's shoulder flare up again? And will right-hander Jason Marquis suffer a major slip after the All-Star break? Marquis has stumbled after the break in each of the last three seasons.

The Brewers had enough concern about their staff to swing the Sabathia deal. The Cardinals expect to get their crop of hurting pitchers back in action during the next couple of weeks, with Mark Mulder set to start Wednesday.

The Cubs have 3? weeks before the deadline to decide if they are going to add their own new starting pitcher.

''I like our ballclub,'' Piniella said. ''But at the same time, we've played very well, and we haven't been able to shake people. That leads me to believe that this is going to be nip-and-tuck the rest of the way.''

5 star bomb

EOG Master
Re: Cubs looking to get Harden

haha already a funny thread on this topic..... According to mofo, rjt721, grand master b, osucowboys, texansfan, 2pac, and even fellow Cubs fan Dray the Cubs dont have enough talent in their farm system to get Harden....

So I guess there is no way it will happen since these guys are obviously far smarter than gm's, scouts, etc...

:LMAO

mofome

Banned

haha already a funny thread on this topic..... According to mofo, rjt721, grand master b, osucowboys, texansfan, 2pac, and even fellow Cubs fan Dray the Cubs dont have enough talent in their farm system to get Harden....

So I guess there is no way it will happen since these guys are obviously far smarter than gm's, scouts, etc...

we'll see.

:)

Burnett would be a better pitcher to go after. Steve Stone was saying that Harden's pitches were barely reaching 91-92 Sunday. Harden is always hurt it seems.

d ray

EOG Dedicated

Not sure what this article has to do with supporting your arguement. Why are you laughing? We all know the Cubs are interested, that's not a lie. Doesn't mean they get him. You are so full of yourself and have no clue what you're talking about. You remind me of Cubs fans I hate to be associated with. The ones that have no idea what they're ever talking about, kind of like you.

Last edited:

5 star bomb

EOG Master

Not sure what this article has to do with supporting your arguement. Why are you laughing? We all know the Cubs are interested, that's not a lie. Doesn't mean they get him. You are so full of yourself and have no clue what you're talking about. You remind me of Cubs fans I hate to be associated with. The ones that have no idea what they're ever talking about, kind of like you.

yea ok... :rolleyes:

5 star bomb

EOG Master

Burnett would be a better pitcher to go after. Steve Stone was saying that Harden's pitches were barely reaching 91-92 Sunday. Harden is always hurt it seems.

I agree... It wouldnt take as much to get him and Harden is too much of a injury risk to get rid of super talent on the farm... The last thing the Cubs need is another Prior/Wood injured sp every year

mofome

Banned

the cubs would have to completely unload their farm to make this move. its just hard to see them going in this direction imo. Harden/wood/zam/marmol would give them an insane collection of talented arms.

rjt721

EOG Master

Buster Olney:

The Cubs don't have the minor league trade resources that the Brewers do. If they did, you can bet that they would have landed Sabathia, because they would have been more likely to overpay for him, rather than haggle the way that the Brewers haggled. The Cubs, as a monster money franchise, could have afforded to take a chance and unload some prime prospects for the 2007 Cy Young Award winner -- but they just don't have the same caliber of minor leaguers. That is not going to change between now and the trade deadline.

Sabathia will be the only pitcher at his level to be traded before the July deadline. He is dominant (with an ERA of about 2 since his first four starts), he is healthy, and there is no other baggage, other than the question of how much pressure he puts on himself at the outset of his time in Milwaukee and how long it takes him to get settled.

Every other pitcher on the market bears red flags of some kind. A.J. Burnett brings inconsistent performance this year, his injury history and his contract situation. Randy Wolf bears durability questions, rival GMs feel, and his month-to-month ERA is as follows this season: 3.68, 5.35, 3.24, 15.75, with one outing in July.

The Cubs probably don't have the talent to meet the asking price Oakland would attach to Rich Harden, and even then, Harden hasn't yet pitched enough this year to bury questions about whether he can hold up. Joe Blanton might be available in what has been a frustrating year for the right-hander, but Oakland isn't going to move him at cut-rate cost.

rjt721

EOG Master

Cubs traded for Harden and Gaudin.

I tried to tell you guys Harden would go to the Cubbies. :)