Useful gambling books that i've read

newb411

EOG Enthusiast
hey all, i'll probably be posting here more often as you guys seem to have a lot of traffic and hopefully i can share any useful information i have with you.
I was referred to eog by gyno, i've known and conversed with for a number of years.

1. Sharp Sports Betting by stanford wong- one of the first truly good books i've read on gambling.. easily worth the price on amazon.. especially useful is the mention of betting advantage teasers, known as "wong teasers"

2. Win More Lose Less by don peszynski- again not a "handicapping" book, only useful for NFL, and mostly looks at the math behind buying or selling points, teasing sides and totals etc..

3. Weighing the Odds in Sports Betting- by king Yao.. another solid book, again not a handicapping book, a "betting" book. i think there's some useful betting ideas in this book, particularly if you are interested in betting nfl 1st halves, or mlb first halves..a lot of basic stuff, but easily worth the 14 bucks on amazon

4. Beat the Sports Books- by dan gordon.. gordon may be considered crazy from some of his posts on lva (and his disputes with "fezzik") but I highly recommend the book. The handicapping information that i find useful is the "Bettors Toolkit", interesting ideas exist such as "the spread range" emotional letdowns, rout loss and rout wins...
the one fault with this book is that he assigns power ratings through "letter ratings" but he doesnt teach you how to assign a letter rating.. it is basically through his own knowledge of the league and teams....

5. The Unemotional Football Bettor-by scott kellen.. i liked this book, but it is important for the bettor to understand that the win percentage of certain trends found in this book.. one of the pricier books out there at around 40 bucks, i did feel i learned a few interesting pointers... particularly about using sagarin strength of schedule to make adjustments when making a line on college football teams

6. various other things-
just about any post by ganchrow

articles on www.twominutewarning.com... the most important being the article on turnovers in the nfl.

.............books i do NOT recommend...............................

1. education of a sportsbettor by bob mccune.. early on i thought this book was good, but then i realized that none of the ideas on handicapping were applicable to modern sports betting.. waste of 39 bucks

2. how pro gamblers beat the pro football pointspread by JR Miller... really nothing noteworthy in the book, other than is incorrect ideas about how the kelly criterion is flawed..
his idea on how to make a line on a game through "power ratings" is absolutely terrible advice, even though he claims he expects to hit 54% with this simple method, you won't hit more than 50% long term
Plus JR is a losing tout who sells his picks and he's down over 130 units since December of 2005.. stear clear of his website
www.professionalgambler.com

i'll go back to this thread if i can think of anything else

also i recommend reading any of the pinnacle pulse articles

good luck to you all

Last edited:
Re: Useful gambling books that i've read

Ya thanks Im going to check a couple of those out! #2 on the not recommended list looks like something Tool21 would get a hard on about!

mofome

Banned

Gonna leave this stuck for a day. I think a lot of people would like to read this and could benefit from the insights here.

12io4j2w90

Sharp Sports Betting is a waste unless you really are clueless about sports betting. I found that teaser section to be barely worthwhile and the rest was from a guy who has little interest in sports betting. Putting it number one on a list of books is crazy.

I thought "The Zen of Gambling" by Wayne Root was not bad. Like him or hate him, it's an entertaining book and good for learning about what to look for with picking contrarian/underdogs.

munson15

I want winners...

I'd like to hear another opinion on Wong's book. I was looking forward to reading it, but WildBill threw cold water on that.

pvcpipe

EOG Master

i don't guess anything by michael konik has much of a chance at making a top 10 list around these parts?

Crush21

EOG Member

Hey! Awesome those a nice picks! Some of them I just heard about and forgot about it. Great info!:+excited-

Almost Allright

GO Bucks!!!

I just started reading Betting Pro football by Robert Ross. Will give feedback when finished. Some others I have read, Betting Bases by Michael Murray (good), and 2 books by Kevin O'Neal (decent).

I read Sharp Sports betting and thought the section on props was good but other than that it was very basic.

has anyone read Lem Banker's book?

newb411

EOG Enthusiast

Sharp Sports Betting is a waste unless you really are clueless about sports betting. I found that teaser section to be barely worthwhile and the rest was from a guy who has little interest in sports betting. Putting it number one on a list of books is crazy.

sorry, first some clarification. The number beside each book was not meant as a ranking, i just listed whatever came to mind first. The teaser section is certainly worthwhile in my opinion.

none of these books are going to make you super rich or anything... but there are people who have gambled a lot but don't understand some of the basics.. like for instance, what is your percent edge if you hit 55% against 11-10? Obviously much of wong's book is elementary but i think someone new to gambling would find it very useful.

Actually, in terms of handicapping, I think the best piece of information would be the nfl turnover article on www.twominutewarning.com. And that of course is free!

Also, when it comes to sportsbetting, the books are not nearly as good as the poker books you can buy.. but if you can glean one or two key elements from a book, you can easily cover the cost of the book..
I don't think you can buy a 15 or 20 dollar book and expect to find the keys to the castle.

If you want to learn about handicapping in particular, I would first recommend studying statistics, and learning about certain ideas such as regression.

Because football season is fast approaching, I think one of the best ways to handicap the nfl is to use yards per pass/yards per rush, rather than simply using points scored and allowed.. Let's say you can accurately project that the 49er's should get around 380 yards in a game against oakland..
well, take 380-162.5=217.5.. take 217.5/7.5= roughly 29 points scored..
Of course, the ultimate key here is that you can accurately project how many yards a team should get...

Then of course when handicapping the NFL, you need to know push percentages (which can be found in either wong's or Yao's book), and you also have to determine just how accurate your own handicapped line is.. it is better off to UNDERESTIMATE your own advantage.. For instance, on an nfl line, if you do win against 11-10, you probably should make a safe estimate and say you are a 54.5% handicapper..

Now i mentioned calculating "edge" just above, the calculation is very simple.. using 54.5% against 11-10, your edge is right around 4%.. i personally wouldn't expect an edge on nfl sides much higher than above.

Wildbill, if you'd care to list any of your favorite sports betting books I'd be happy to hear them.

peace and good luck

Apple

Banned

Good to see come by newb411.. Looking forward to your NFL picks :)

the ape

EOG Addicted

going to pick up a few of these to sharpen my mind thanks a bunch man

Truth is there are very few good books on sports betting. Murray's books on baseball and the Seidel books on college hoops are probably the two best in print. O'Neill's books are pretty good as well, but sort of for those learning the fundamentals. Steele's 10 keys book is fantastic for those who don't understand the proper mindset and approach to betting. There are few out there worth the money. And Bob McCune got me started decades ago with his books, I can't speak badly about them. Yes they are very out of date and hard to read if you are impatient, but there are some extremely strong messages in there if you can focus in on his points about discipline and treating things like a business.

To be honest there are no really blockbuster books out there. Sports betting doesn't it lend itself to being a successful book writer. I made more money writing articles for sites like this one over the course of a couple years than I could ever earn writing a book. People just don't buy sports betting books, the vast majority of those who bet would never do such a thing. Poker has enough math and superstar names now that people will buy poker books, but a sports betting book will fall on its face. Dan Gordon probably has written the most successful book around on this subject and I doubt his royalties ever amount to a hill of beans. Simply put those who have the skills and the mindset to write the best book on sports betting ever don't see enough profit or good in doing it to give up what they consider their personal secrets.

Bucky

EOG Dedicated

I've bought and read over 50 books on craps,blackjack, and sportsbetting. Got something out of all of them - albeit some were just entertainment. Like Michael Konik's books - found them entertaining but not willing to believe all of it. Ben Mezrich's books are very entertaining. Steve Budin's book - glad I read it but what an arrogant horse's butt.

Wong and King Yao definitely will give you some ideas. If I ever find a way to completely nail sportsbetting I doubt I'll write a book about it and I'm not seeing one written by Billy.

This is a good - honest thread and just gave me the motivation to read a couple more that you guys have mentioned. I don't think books are ever going to show us a road map to the Grail but how many people can you actually talk to that have an intellectual clue to sports betting?

Sure, everybody thinks they know something about football fundamentally but someone who actually has a technical clue with money management skills just doesn't exist very often.

So, my question is how many people could start football with a 50k bank and turn it into 100 k ( 8 times out 10)? Those are the kind of people I am talking about that are worth talking to or reading about. The rest are just full of BS. But anybody that can do it will not gain anything by proving it and anybody that canot prove it would not try to.

So, we are back to being on that island???

:cheers:cheers:cheers

aca

EOG Addicted

Do anybody here have some sport betting e-book for sharing?

I have ton poker ebooks but no one about sport wagrering!
I's very hard to find any such free stuff on net!

goodcall

EOG Senior Member

I lost faith in reading gambling books after several people told me 'sharp sports betting' was the best out there

seems like you'd learn more by writing one than reading one, as long as you know what a point spread is

goodcall

EOG Senior Member

But anybody that can do it will not gain anything by proving it

That's why you never hear about the actual successful sports gamblers...they have absolutely nothing to gain and everything to lose by getting their name out there.

It's not just BW moving the lines.

That's why you never hear about the actual successful sports gamblers...they have absolutely nothing to gain and everything to lose by getting their name out there.

But it's BW whos moves them the the most frequently and the hardest....12io4j2w90

Bucky

EOG Dedicated

I agree - Would be interesting to know how these big fish in the sea got their start. Not exactly a road map to follow but how much was talent and how much was acquired knowledge?

You can tell someone how to hit a curve ball but it takes talent to do so.

It seems to me that most successful players are self taught to some degree. The learning curve would go way up with a mentor or relationship of some kind with someone that truly knows what he is doing.

Books,magazines,chat rooms all add something but the separation of BS from reality is quite a job.