A Legend Retires - Trent Dilfer (haha)

Hache Man

"Seven Days Without Gambling Makes One Weak"
Was it coincidence that this guy was was VERY religious, released by the Bucs, and then won the Super Bowl as QB for the Ravens the very next season IN TAMPA!?!

<TABLE width="100%" align=center><TBODY><TR><TD class=vaLabel vAlign=top align=middle width=100 rowSpan=5> </TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD class=subHead vAlign=top colSpan=3>Former Ravens Super Bowl QB Dilfer retires </TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD class=vaLabel colSpan=3>Trent Dilfer - QB - SF - Jul. 9</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top colSpan=3>Trent Dilfer announced his retirement from football.
Dilfer says he planned to retire before injuring his Achilles playing basketball recently. He had a reputation as a "game manager" but he played excellent football throughout Baltimore's Super Bowl run in 2000. Dilfer finished his career with a 113:129 TD to INT ratio. He was the No. 6 overall pick in 1994 and threw 21 touchdowns in back-to-back years in 1997 and 1998, but ultimately had a journeyman career. Dilfer will likely move on to an analyst role and excel at it.
Source: Reno Gazette-Journal
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Hache Man

Re: A Legend Retires - Trent Dilfer (haha)

Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Dilfer's professionals football career began when he was drafted by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers with their 1st pick in the 1994 NFL Draft (6th overall) after his junior season at Fresno State
Enlisted as the starter in his second year, after seeing spot duty in his rookie year, Dilfer struggled during what was still a dark period for the Buccaneers as a whole, when in 1995 he threw only 4 TD passes but 18 interceptions. The following year, he showed moderate improvement by upping his TD production, but failed to improve his turnover numbers (recording a career-high 19).

The following season, a year that Tampa's offense was aided by the arrival of rookie Warrick Dunn and the emergence of Mike Alstott, Dilfer was the first Tampa Bay quarterback to ever go to the Pro Bowl, which some say was a reward for a highly efficient season in the Buccaneers' limited offense. In the first 12 games of that year Dilfer passed for 2213 yards, 19 touchdowns and five interceptions. However, Dilfer's performance was perceived to decline in his last four games. In the playoffs the Buccaneers defeated their NFC Central rivals, the Detroit Lions, before losing to their long-time division rivals, and defending Super Bowl champions, the Green Bay Packers. While with the Bucs, he won more games than any quarterback in franchise history and took the team to their first playoff game in 15 years.

Dilfer threw for 21 touchdowns with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in both the 1997 and the 1998 NFL seasons. In the 1996-1999 NFL seasons, with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Dilfer averaged 2,729 yards a season and had a total of 58 touchdowns.

Baltimore Ravens

After the 1999 season, the Bucs granted unconditional free-agent status to Dilfer on 11 February 2000, rather than pay him a 4.6 million dollar bonus due in March. Also compounding matters was the collarbone injury suffered by Dilfer midseason in 1999 and the subsequent winning streak that coincided with the insertion of QB Shaun King into the lineup, with the Bucs going to the NFC Championship Game that season, and making Dilfer expendable.

Dilfer signed with the Ravens on March 8, 2000 and became the backup for Tony Banks. After two straight losses and four straight weeks without an offensive touchdown, the Ravens replaced Banks with Dilfer. The Ravens would lose their third straight game and fail to score a touchdown for the fifth straight week. It would be the last time the Ravens would lose that season, or go without a touchdown. The Ravens finished the season winning seven straight to earn a wild card berth at 12-4. The 7-1 run also gave Dilfer a 45-39 record as a starter at that point.
In the playoffs, Dilfer went 3-0, and the Ravens advanced to Super Bowl XXXV in Tampa to meet the New York Giants. Halfway through the first quarter Dilfer connected with Brandon Stokley on a deep post for a 38-yard touchdown, badly beating Jason Sehorn. A third down 44-yard pass to Qadry Ismail would set up a field goal before halftime, to give Baltimore a 10-0 lead. The Ravens eventually won easily, 34-7. Dilfer's game stats were 12 completions for 153 yards and 1 TD. Dilfer did the I'm Going to Disney World! commercial since game MVP Ray Lewis was seen as too controversial.<SUP class="noprint Template-Fact">[citation needed]</SUP>
<SUP class="noprint Template-Fact"></SUP>
Coupled with his success and the fans dislike of previous starter Tony Banks, Dilfer became very popular in Baltimore, but he was surprisingly released after the season. With this, he became the only Super Bowl winning quarterback released the following season. He was seen as a "caretaker" quarterback, due to the strength of the Ravens' defense, and head coach Brian Billick's run-heavy offense. He was replaced by Kansas City Chiefs' Pro Bowler Elvis Grbac, a somewhat controversial decision. In 2001 Grbac's passer rating was 5.5 points lower than Dilfer's was in 2000.

Not much luck with those QB's in Tampa. To think that Steve Young began his NFL career there.

Hache Man

Not much luck with those QB's in Tampa. To think that Steve Young began his NFL career there.

Heard that RD

Brad Johnson or Doug Williams our best to date.

Everything's on Garcia's shoulders again this year.....

Heard that RD

Brad Johnson or Doug Williams our best to date.

Everything's on Garcia's shoulders again this year.....

Tampa better find some receivers at some point. Galloway isn't going to last forever.

Hache Man

Tampa better find some receivers at some point. Galloway isn't going to last forever.

Had a chance last year when Detroit wanted the 2 - 2nd rounders instead of only the 1 to trade up for Calvin Johnson. It was an extra pick we received anyhow so I don't see where the harm would have been to let it go as if we never had it to begin with......

Keneke

EOG Enthusiast

I understand that Steve Young actually started his career with the LA Express. He is also the Great Great Great Great Grand Son of a founder of the Mormon Church, 'Brigham Young' and attended BYU in his college days. If my memory is correct, Steve Young won the Heisman Trophy at BYU and became the first 40 Million Dollar Man.

Trying to remember the Coach of Tampa Bay back then. Was he by chance the prior coach of USC John McKay?

Had a chance last year when Detroit wanted the 2 - 2nd rounders instead of only the 1 to trade up for Calvin Johnson. It was an extra pick we received anyhow so I don't see where the harm would have been to let it go as if we never had it to begin with......

Johnson would have been a good pick-up.

Apple

Banned

Hall of Fame QB cause he won a Superbowl..

just kidding motherfuckers.

IGAMBLER

EOG Addicted

Good thread, Hache, the bottom line is this: He won the freaking Super Bowl! How many QB's can make that claim? Maybe we should drop the haha from the tread title.

Hache Man

I understand that Steve Young actually started his career with the LA Express. He is also the Great Great Great Great Grand Son of a founder of the Mormon Church, 'Brigham Young' and attended BYU in his college days. If my memory is correct, Steve Young won the Heisman Trophy at BYU and became the first 40 Million Dollar Man.

Trying to remember the Coach of Tampa Bay back then. Was he by chance the prior coach of USC John McKay?

The LA Express.......

I actually loved the USFL

We were sooo close to discussing this league instead of the NFL today because they were swiping away all of the talent from the NFL.

Anyhow, Leeman Bennett was the one who came in to replace McKay.

Many remember this play by Young with a facemask full of snow....

Chance

EOG Senior Member

Good thread, Hache, the bottom line is this: He won the freaking Super Bowl! How many QB's can make that claim? Maybe we should drop the haha from the tread title.

I agree. Most of his career he was a butt of the jokes. But he deserves the last laugh because won the big one. That is what counts. He also had decent length of career.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

Only when you consider the entire body of work that the QB puts in for his career.

If tom Brady was on a bad team, he'd have zero titles and no one would be talking about him in the upper echelon of qbs (not even counting the cheating allegations). So, how do you consider the entire body of work? Its impossible to quantify a player's career who plays on a shit team and has no shot to ever win the big one.

Reno Paul

EOG Dedicated

Well Dilfer did last a long time , won a Super Bowl and got easy money as being a paid backup a good deal of his career. A true journeyman QB.

If tom Brady was on a bad team, he'd have zero titles and no one would be talking about him in the upper echelon of qbs (not even counting the cheating allegations). So, how do you consider the entire body of work? Its impossible to quantify a player's career who plays on a shit team and has no shot to ever win the big one.

Ok, Flamingo, we've been through this before but I don't have a problem doing it again.

Here's the thing with a QB. UNLESS another player does his job, the QB can't do anything. SOMEONE has to catch the passes. Every passing yard, every TD pass, every completion, ANOTHER PLAYER had to be involved. So, the success of the QB is INHERENTLY tied to his team. You can no more boost the status of QB because of his surrounding cast than you can detract from his status because of that cast.

Was Archie Manning good? Yes, he was good. Was he great, no he wasn't great. He played on SORRY teams... that is the breaks, it sucks but there isn't any other way around it.

Will Tom Brady go down as one of the all time greats, yes he will. Has he had the luxury of being on a good team, yes he has. But we can't say with ANY certainty that NE would have had the success they have had without Tom Brady.

Trent Dilfer was, IMHO, a TERRIBLE QB. Simply horrible. But we can't say that he didn't contribute to Baltimore winning the Super Bowl. Does that make him great? Of course not. He didn't do ANYTHING else to set himself apart from the other QB's. The rest of his career was rather pedestrian, at best.

The other day I said Joe Montana was the best QB to ever play in the NFL and I will stand by that statement. I posted every reason why I thought that. Your response was "Jerry Rice". Joe Montana won 2 super bowls before Jerry Rice was ever drafted. I'm sure you can, but can you name Montana's WR's on his first super bowl team?

I'm sure we will have this discussion again, but you simply can't separate the team's success from that of the player. And I know you don't agree but I will not consider a QB's body of work complete without a Super Bowl win.

Bucsfan67

EOG Master

Dilfer is alot like Garcia, and Johnson were with Tampa....they really arent expected to win the game, as much as NOT lose it.....He did a nice job in Tampa, and obviously a nice job in Baltimore, as they got the title....but his success was mainly attributed to his team's excellent defenses, and good running games....he was a "game manager" as much as a quarterback...but he did his job well..

No way HOF though..

Journeyman

EOG Master

Remember the old reporter who despised Trent?

Can't think of his name, he use to ride him like nobody else....haven't seen the guy in years, I think Dilfer even had a run in with him almost pleading with him to knock it off.

The reporter was a real know it all prick type, anyone remember his name?

Can't think of his name, he use to ride him like nobody else....haven't seen the guy in years, I think Dilfer even had a run in with him almost pleading with him to knock it off.

What city, Jman? Tampa?

Journeyman

EOG Master

What city, Jman? Tampa?

He was more of a national guy at the time, might have been a FOX affiliated reporter before FOX was huge in the NFL, he has since disappeared, this was early in Trent's career.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

Ok, Flamingo, we've been through this before but I don't have a problem doing it again.

Here's the thing with a QB. UNLESS another player does his job, the QB can't do anything. SOMEONE has to catch the passes. Every passing yard, every TD pass, every completion, ANOTHER PLAYER had to be involved. So, the success of the QB is INHERENTLY tied to his team. You can no more boost the status of QB because of his surrounding cast than you can detract from his status because of that cast.

Was Archie Manning good? Yes, he was good. Was he great, no he wasn't great. He played on SORRY teams... that is the breaks, it sucks but there isn't any other way around it.

Will Tom Brady go down as one of the all time greats, yes he will. Has he had the luxury of being on a good team, yes he has. But we can't say with ANY certainty that NE would have had the success they have had without Tom Brady.

Trent Dilfer was, IMHO, a TERRIBLE QB. Simply horrible. But we can't say that he didn't contribute to Baltimore winning the Super Bowl. Does that make him great? Of course not. He didn't do ANYTHING else to set himself apart from the other QB's. The rest of his career was rather pedestrian, at best.

The other day I said Joe Montana was the best QB to ever play in the NFL and I will stand by that statement. I posted every reason why I thought that. Your response was "Jerry Rice". Joe Montana won 2 super bowls before Jerry Rice was ever drafted. I'm sure you can, but can you name Montana's WR's on his first super bowl team?

I'm sure we will have this discussion again, but you simply can't separate the team's success from that of the player. And I know you don't agree but I will not consider a QB's body of work complete without a Super Bowl win.

The point i was trying to make is that people usually DONT review the entire body of work and just defer to titles. You, otoh, review the entire body of work............when people are asked "whos the greatest qb ever" all they think about is who won the most SBs. The usual suspects names come up in the discussion, the guys who have 3 or more are always mentioned and no one holds it against them for getting lucky to play on the right teams. Should Bradshaw be mentioned as an all time great when he had the steel curtain? I think almost any QB that is considered pretty good would have won all those titles with those steeler teams. Doug Flutie would have 4 rings if he was quarterbacking those steeler teams. So would Warren Moon, so would lots of guys who had above average talent.

Hache Man

What city, Jman? Tampa?

Not sure either, but I do remember Terry Bradshaw always backing Dilfer, even talking to him personally, saying he would come around. Not sure why, unless he saw himself in Dilfer......

The point i was trying to make is that people usually DONT review the entire body of work and just defer to titles. You, otoh, review the entire body of work............

It only makes sense to review the entire body of work.

when people are asked "whos the greatest qb ever" all they think about is who won the most SBs. The usual suspects names come up in the discussion, the guys who have 3 or more are always mentioned and no one holds it against them for getting lucky to play on the right teams.

I'm not one of those people. I think Dan Marino is easily top 5 and he never won the big one. I think Jim Kelly is great but he never won it in 4 tries. Jim Plunkett won 2 rings, yet I don't even have him in my top 25.

Should Bradshaw be mentioned as an all time great when he had the steel curtain? I think almost any QB that is considered pretty good would have won all those titles with those steeler teams.

You can't assume that any "pretty good QB" could have won those titles. Bradshaw should be considered great because he did win 4 rings and he called all his own plays.

Doug Flutie would have 4 rings if he was quarterbacking those steeler teams. So would Warren Moon, so would lots of guys who had above average talent.

Once again, you can't assume that.

Keneke

EOG Enthusiast

The LA Express.......

I actually loved the USFL

We were sooo close to discussing this league instead of the NFL today because they were swiping away all of the talent from the NFL.

Anyhow, Leeman Bennett was the one who came in to replace McKay.

Many remember this play by Young with a facemask full of snow....

A friend had season tickets to the Express. I went to a couple of games. LA had No offensive line. Young got pretty beat up (Knees). I did not think that he would ever play again at one point. Amazing what he went on to accomplish.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

It only makes sense to review the entire body of work.

I'm not one of those people. I think Dan Marino is easily top 5 and he never won the big one. I think Jim Kelly is great but he never won it in 4 tries. Jim Plunkett won 2 rings, yet I don't even have him in my top 25.

You can't assume that any "pretty good QB" could have won those titles. Bradshaw should be considered great because he did win 4 rings and he called all his own plays.

Once again, you can't assume that.

I feel that the Steel Curtain was SO good that they were the ones who won those titles. Bradshaw also had Swann and Stallworth and Harris. An average QB might have won those titles and he might not have, we'll never know......i think that if Dilfer can win the SB by 30 pts with the great Ravens D, that its not so far fetched to think Moon or Flutie would have won with the Steel Curtain teams.

I feel that the Steel Curtain was SO good that they were the ones who won those titles. Bradshaw also had Swann and Stallworth and Harris. An average QB might have won those titles and he might not have, we'll never know......i think that if Dilfer can win the SB by 30 pts with the great Ravens D, that its not so far fetched to think Moon or Flutie would have won with the Steel Curtain teams.

Perhaps, Flamingo, Perhaps... But we will never know that for sure. What we do know for sure is that Bradshaw did win it all. It was also Al Davis that told the Steelers that they needed to start Bradshaw over Terry Hanratty.

What's the old saying about sunshine and a dog's ass? :smokesmal

Who do you consider the best, Flamingo?