Michigan, OSU, and UGA players all found trouble already

mofome

Banned
? Georgia suspended defensive end Michael Lemon after he was charged with aggravated battery for allegedly punching another student.
? Michigan running back Kevin Grady was arrested on drunken driving charges.
? Clemson sophomore safety DeAndre McDaniel was charged with assault and battery of a female student.
? Kansas State projected starting tailback Leon Patton was arrested for driving with a suspended license and outstanding warrants. Patton was stopped Monday and issued a citation for driving with a suspended license. A background check showed outstanding warrants for a theft in 2007 and a failure-to-appear charge on an unpaid parking ticket.
? Ohio State cornerback Eugene Clifford faces misdemeanor assault charges. He allegedly punched two tavern employees trying to break up a fight last weekend.

how could you let your child go to one of these thug universities?

:gros3d113:

JaBrady

EOG Addicted
Re: Michigan, OSU, and UGA players all found trouble already

To be fair you should list ALL students, not just athletes, from ALL universities and colleges to get an accurate depiction of the school over the course of like 4-5 years when a kid would be a school. But, why let the facts get in the way...

mofome

Banned

To be fair you should list ALL students, not just athletes, from ALL universities and colleges to get an accurate depiction of the school over the course of like 4-5 years when a kid would be a school. But, why let the facts get in the way...

Is this your attempt at being a smart ass? If i wanted to be fair, i wouldnt have left off the Volunteer mentioned in this article. Rest assured, I do not.

:thumbsup

Almost Allright

GO Bucks!!!

? Ohio State cornerback Eugene Clifford faces misdemeanor assault charges. He allegedly punched two tavern employees trying to break up a fight last weekend.

yet again.

JaBrady

EOG Addicted

Is this your attempt at being a smart ass? If i wanted to be fair, i wouldnt have left off the Volunteer mentioned in this article. Rest assured, I do not.

:thumbsup

I just don't get the point of the thread i guess. Thug Universities because football players get in trouble that attend huge state schools. Oh, cool.
:cheers

mofome

Banned

I just don't get the point of the thread i guess. Thug Universities because football players get in trouble that attend huge state schools. Oh, cool.

Sarcasm, big guy. Here is the article, its not as if i wrote this, take your issues up with rivals. i was just giving people a hard time because there are a lot of mich, osu, and uga fans here.

Olin Buchanan
Rivals.com College Football Senior Writer
<script language="javascript">document.write("<div id=contentcontainer style='font-size: " + currentsize + "pt;'>");</script> Maybe future preseason college football breakdowns will add a new category to illustrate what each team has coming back. Starters returning. Starters lost. Starters arrested.
Admittedly, that comes off rather cynical, but consider these recent incidents:
<!--Start Image--><script language="Javascript">document.write(insertImage('/IMAGES/Player/video/JAJUANSPILLMAN250_0708.JPG', '', 0, 300, 250, 1, 'Wide receiver JaJuan Spillman was arrested twice in his last year and a half at Louisville.', '', 1215555212000, '', 1144, 'Align=Left'));</script><table align="left" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="258"><tbody><tr><td width="252"> </td><td rowspan="3" width="6"> </td></tr><tr><td height="3"> </td></tr><tr><td align="center">Wide receiver JaJuan Spillman was arrested twice in his last year and a half at Louisville.</td></tr></tbody></table><!-- End Image-->? Louisville cuts wide receiver JaJuan Spillman after he was arrested for driving under the influence of alcohol. It was his second arrest in a year and a half.
? Suspended Tennessee punter Britton Colquitt pleads guilty to DUI.
? Georgia suspended defensive end Michael Lemon after he was charged with aggravated battery for allegedly punching another student.
? Michigan running back Kevin Grady was arrested on drunken driving charges.
? Clemson sophomore safety DeAndre McDaniel was charged with assault and battery of a female student.
? Kansas State projected starting tailback Leon Patton was arrested for driving with a suspended license and outstanding warrants. Patton was stopped Monday and issued a citation for driving with a suspended license. A background check showed outstanding warrants for a theft in 2007 and a failure-to-appear charge on an unpaid parking ticket.
That's just a few of literally dozens of incidents involving college football players. A quick Web search reveals that more than 20 programs have had players arrested in 2008.
Some transgressions were as minor as getting into scuffles; others are as serious as distributing narcotics. But each arrest perpetuates an unfair perception that college football is rife with thugs, punks and partiers who think they're above the law.
The NCAA tries to ensure that athletes aren't treated differently than ordinary college students. Yet ordinary college students often drink too much, smoke marijuana and get in fights.
"I don't mean to get on a high horse, but 82 percent of college freshmen get drunk once a week," Colorado coach Dan Hawkins said. "I guarantee you 82 percent of athletes aren't getting drunk. Show me an era in history where young men don't fight.''
Hawkins is right: Demanding vastly different behavior from football players is a double standard. Some lament that, while others say it should be embraced.
"Without question, there is a double standard," said Minnesota coach Tim Brewster, who last year dismissed four players. "One thing you better understand is that's the case. When you step into a role as a Division I college football player, you are a role model.
"Certainly, our kids are not going to be perfect, but those who don't study history are doomed to repeat it. We look at situations across the country and discuss them with our players. We try to learn from each situation that comes up."
<!--Start Image--><script language="Javascript">document.write(insertImage('/IMAGES/Coach/PHOTO/DANHAWKINS250_6-15.JPG', '', 0, 300, 250, 1, 'Dan Hawkins has generally been tough on players facing legal problems.', 'Rivals.com', 1215555604000, '', 1144, 'Align=Right'));</script><table align="right" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="258"><tbody><tr><td rowspan="3" width="6"> </td><td width="252"> </td></tr><tr><td height="3"> </td></tr><tr><td align="center">Dan Hawkins has generally been tough on players facing legal problems.</td></tr></tbody></table><!-- End Image-->Some of those situations Brewster discussed might have involved Colorado, which has had players arrested for assault, underage drinking and criminal mischief this year. Like Brewster, Hawkins has a strong track record for being tough on players who get in trouble. He suspended linebacker Michael Sipili last year, and this year has suspended linebacker recruit Lynn Katoa. Tight end Riar Greer's season is also in jeopardy after he was accused of attacking two students at a party.
But Hawkins objects to the media scrutiny that athletes face and the perception that scrutiny might foster.
"There are 119 teams in Division I football and over 300 in Division II and lower. Then you have about 100 (players). If once a week one of those gets in trouble, everyone knows about that guy," he said. "There are way more kids that don't get in trouble than do. If you put every citizen that's arrested for DUI on ESPN.com, you could read that for 10 hours."
The difference is that every citizen isn't representing a university as a scholarship football player. Perhaps there was a time when athletes were all model citizens who rarely ? if ever ? got into trouble. More likely, there were times with fewer temptations ? and transgressions weren't made public.
Should we expect men barely out of high school to behave differently from many of their peers just because they play football? Brewster says yes.
"The talk here is it's an honor and privilege to wear the maroon and gold," Brewster said. "It's not asking too much to ask young men to live their lives accordingly, try to make good and right decisions and understand for every decision there is a consequence.
"The first thing I discuss with incoming freshmen is to understand how different you are from Johnny down the hall. Don't be afraid of that and don't look at it as an issue or a problem. Right, wrong or indifferent, you are different."

2pac

EOG Senior Member

Mofo, look up Tennessee's violations in the past 10 years.

Ohio State - Thugs - yes.
Michigan - ehhh.....no.
The whole SEC - yes.

2pac

EOG Senior Member

Mofo - You are a good guy, but you are so biased it makes me sick.

In less than two months, eight players have been arrested or disciplined for breaking team rules.
Most recently, junior Britton Colquitt was arrested and charged with driving under the influence and leaving the scene of a crime after allegedly hitting a parked car early Sunday morning.
The All-Southeastern Conference punter was suspended as a freshman in 2004 after multiple alcohol-related charges. Fulmer punished Colquitt on Monday by suspending him for five games and revoking his scholarship.
"How could Fulmer not dismiss Colquitt from the team after what could be a fifth alcohol-related offense?" Adams wrote. "Answer: Colquitt is a starter.
"You can't blame Fulmer for the crimes committed by his players and former players. But he is responsible for disciplining players while they're on his team," Adams said. "And he has failed miserably at that."
Adams' column in Tuesday's edition drew hundreds of responses on the newspaper's Web site and on sports talk radio, mostly from fans complaining of Adams' column.
Fulmer's response is the first time the coach has responded to criticism in a newspaper column, though he did address a story by another News Sentinel columnist in a postgame press conference in 2007.
Immediately after a 35-14 victory over Georgia and just weeks after Oklahoma State coach Mike Gundy exploded in his well-publicized rant, Fulmer called the column, which quoted anonymous former players questioning the attitude and direction of the team, a "cheap shot."

5 star bomb

EOG Master

Mofo acts like Tenn has a clean slate.... :LMAO :LMAO

With the success of the Vols? basketball program this year, news of problems within the football team have been kicked to the back by local and national media.
Since Jan. 11, six members of UT?s football team have been charged by police, another three have been disciplined for off field issues.

• On Jan. 11, freshman receivers Gerald Jones and Ahmad Paige were issued misdemeanor citations for marijuana possession. William Brimfield was in the car but not disciplined. Jones, Paige and Brimfield all punished with community service at a drug rehab center. They all have semester-long curfews.
  • On Jan. 21, Daryl Vereen was arrested and charged with public intoxication and underage consumption on campus. His punishment was similar to that of Jones, Paige and Brimfield. He was also given a semester-long curfew.
  • On Jan. 26, offensive lineman Anthony Parker was arrested and charged with disorderly conduct. Fulmer said that he would punish Parker internally.
  • On Feb. 2, Vince Faison, a walk-on defensive back, was arrested and charged with DUI. He was suspended for the first two games of the 2008 season.
  • On Feb. 13, linebacker Dorian Davis and defensive back Antonio Wardlow were dismissed from the team for unspecified violations of team rules.
  • On Feb. 17, Britton Colquitt was charged with DUI and leaving the scene of an accident. He was suspended five games and lost his scholarship.
At a certain point, Mike Hamilton is going to have to step in and start pulling scholarships, with no questions asked, and not just the all-American punter that is a lock for the NFL next season.
?They?re representing not only the name on the back of the jersey, but more so the name on the front of the jersey, and that?s Tennessee,? Hamilton said Monday.
Really, Mike? No kidding. When did Tennessee become the Florida State Criminals?
Jamal Lewis served time in federal prison for his involvement in a drug deal, an issue that never surfaced in his time at UT but undoubtedly was present. Travis Henry has had multiple legal disputes after fathering nine children with nine different women, and often skipping out on child support, another issue that wasn?t heavily publicized when he was a Vol but has received media now that he?s in the NFL.
As if that due isn?t embarrassing enough to the program, two former Vols have killed people in the past decade. Shouldn?t that be enough to bring about change with internal punishments? Guess not.
Dwayne Goodrich, who starred in UT?s national championship game victory over Florida State, is in prison for running over two people on a Dallas freeway in 2003. Police estimates show that his car was moving approximately 110 miles per hour when he struck and killed two motorists who were trying to rescue a man from a burning car.
Leonard Little, another star player for the Orange, crashed into and killed another motorist while heavily intoxicated. He served only 90 days in jail.
Now back to the current problems, what if Britton Colquitt wasn?t fortunate enough to just hit a parked car and a tree stump? What if he found himself on a crowded sidewalk on Jackson Avenue?
The point of the matter is, Coach Fulmer can?t stop players from getting arrested or in legal trouble. But he can stop them from doing it again.
It?s time to draw the line and cut ties with players that don?t respect the program.

Almost Allright

GO Bucks!!!

Mofo, look up Tennessee's violations in the past 10 years.

Ohio State - Thugs - yes.
Michigan - ehhh.....no.
The whole SEC - yes.

michigan no....puhlease that is laughable. every school gets ididots. UM's just can't play football very well.

Kevin Grady was the Michigan HS all-time rusher. They really expected big things at Michigan. Kid fumbled too much, then fell out of favor.

Almost Allright

GO Bucks!!!

Kevin Grady was the Michigan HS all-time rusher. They really expected big things at Michigan. Kid fumbled too much, then fell out of favor.

must not of fell to far out of flavor....he was driving a denali :+excited-

must not of fell to far out of flavor....he was driving a denali :+excited-

His father is a total prick, reminds me of the late Ed Martin (he put Mich on probation for hoops). He went to a very expensive private high school in the best part of Grand Rapids. Cousin is the point guard for the Mich basketball team.

WVU

EOG Master

This is the kind of thread that fires people up. Nice job Mo

WV guys get into trouble after they leave so its all good.

mofome

Banned

This is the kind of thread that fires people up. Nice job Mo

WV guys get into trouble after they leave so its all good.

:houra:houra:houra

Vols run a clean program and we all know it.

:houra:houra:houra

Vols run a clean program and we all know it.

the only thing clean at rocky top are
the jail cells that all the arrested football players
have to clean out.
Oh, and I hear they give players very CLEAN & CRISP
:+money-8+

I am a huge University of Michigan athletics fan. At the same time I am a realist. The Michigan football program had been as clean as possible under Bo and Lloyd(even though his offense was out dated). Does that mean no problems? Absolutely not, but nothing major and because of that and the higher academic standards at Michigan like some other schools the NCAA looked the other way. This won't happen under Rodriguez. He is an accident waiting to happen amongst the old boys club of the Big Ten.

Basketball is a joke again. We had Fischer letting every pocket lining ball player that could fog a mirror in. What a disgrace to a program built on good people over many years. Then comes Tommy Amaker and kids start graduating and a better quality kid comes to the program, but they aren't winning so out he goes so now we have full WVU connection. Did they leave that school brfore all hell broke loose? We shall see but I wouldn't be surprised.

heres a link to my college's crime statistics in the past three years (the entire student body)

http://www.indiana.edu/~iupd/stats.htm