Do you bet -200 ML or higher in baseball?

Re: Do you bet -200 ML or higher in baseball?

I've done it sometimes. Some major sweat in some of those games for sure.

Mr. NBA

EOG Dedicated

I dont make it a habit to bet anything over-125.....sure there are times, but they are few and far between. Normally if I do like a large favorite I will parlay it with something else that I like a lot......if there isnt anything else on the board that works ill just pass. I dont think ive ever layed -200 on a baseball bet EVER......if I have I certainly dont remember.:+textinb3

Here is a -200 play and what I did with it.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=report-table-row><TD>07/08/2008 17:58:47 <TD>2 Play Parlay: Wagered $100.00 to win $186.36 <TD>Unsettled <TR class=report-table-row><TD>BA 67 7/8 <TD>CLEVELAND: J SOWERS AT DETROIT: J VERLANDER <TD>DETROIT: J VERLANDER (-200) <TR class=report-table-row><TD>BN 55 7/8 <TD>ARIZONA: B WEBB AT WASHINGTON: O PEREZ <TD>UNDER +7.5 (-110) </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

If I feel strong enough about a -200 or better team (would have to be DAMN strong), I'll play the Run-line

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!

NEVER

You can count on 1 hand and have fingers left over the number of times I have laid more than -130 in MLB

ANYTHING -135 or higher I parlay with something else if I wanna play it - or i will play the R/L and make the fave

The ONLY exception is College Bases where sometimes laying -400+ I'll do because it is still a great play because in College Bases the difference between the "haves" and "have nots" is so huge that laying -400 is a steal because the line should be at least 2x that

THE HITMAN

EOG Dedicated

I can't remember the last time I layed 2 to 1 on anything. I try very hard to keep bases under -140. Sometimes I will stray from that a bit and if I do, I usually put something on the run line. but, -200, never.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

The highest i've played is -180 and that's on a rare occasion.

royalfan

EOG Dedicated

Often great value on events that are that much juice or even a lot more. Doesn't matter what the juice is, it is what the juice should be in relation to what it is.

Mr. NBA

EOG Dedicated

Often great value on events that are that much juice or even a lot more. Doesn't matter what the juice is, it is what the juice should be in relation to what it is.

agreed, but in baseball I have never ever found value in eating that much juice.

royalfan

EOG Dedicated

agreed, but in baseball I have never ever found value in eating that much juice.

Tough to argue that point. I play pretty much only team totals and some player vs player bets mostly on baseball so you won't find me playing any -200 juice either but once in a blue moon.

Mr. NBA

EOG Dedicated

Tough to argue that point. I play pretty much only team totals and some player vs player bets mostly on baseball so you won't find me playing any -200 juice either but once in a blue moon.

no doubt

I think it is funny that many say they would never lay -200 but will parlay those teams. Do you not realize that you are laying -200 in that very parlay?

In the example above he layed 100 to win 90.90 on the under. It won, so he had 190.90 at -200 on Detroit. So he didnt quite lay 200 to win 100 but he did wager 190.90 to win 95.46. All you are really doing is betting a smaller amount at -200 but you are still playing those odds.

Mr. NBA

EOG Dedicated

I think it is funny that many say they would never lay -200 but will parlay those teams. Do you not realize that you are laying -200 in that very parlay?

In the example above he layed 100 to win 90.90 on the under. It won, so he had 190.90 at -200 on Detroit. So he didnt quite lay 200 to win 100 but he did wager 190.90 to win 95.46. All you are really doing is betting a smaller amount at -200 but you are still playing those odds.

limiting risk and adding value to what I believe to be an already strong play in the under selection.....trust me I hear you loud and clear, but thats what I do. I will not lay that much on its own.:bank:

I do it every now and then and it has been very positive for me in the long run.

Fact is if you ever turn options down for rules like "never bet XXX" you are leaving money on the table. You don't have to bet them often, but there are occasions where laying big chalk is full of value. Especially if you use good outs in baseball, the house edge is virtually nothing at those levels.

The key is to have the proper bankroll to do this. But I see just as many mistakes going the other way where players will find a very good value dog at +200 and bet it timidly. If you aren't properly bankrolled and can't handle the swings that come with laying or taking the big chalk, then you need to reassess your betting. Chances are you have too thin a bankroll or are just plain betting too much in your unit size for comfort.

EOG Enthusiast

Usually fade -200's or more. Looking at a big payday if you win.

royalfan

EOG Dedicated

I do it every now and then and it has been very positive for me in the long run.

Fact is if you ever turn options down for rules like "never bet XXX" you are leaving money on the table. You don't have to bet them often, but there are occasions where laying big chalk is full of value. Especially if you use good outs in baseball, the house edge is virtually nothing at those levels.

The key is to have the proper bankroll to do this. But I see just as many mistakes going the other way where players will find a very good value dog at +200 and bet it timidly. If you aren't properly bankrolled and can't handle the swings that come with laying or taking the big chalk, then you need to reassess your betting. Chances are you have too thin a bankroll or are just plain betting too much in your unit size for comfort.

Good point about being timid on big value dogs. The one weakness in my game for sure. I need to cure that one of these years. Been using the not broke don't fix it method, but I need to play value dogs as big as value favorites to max my profits.

patswin

EOG Veteran

Once in a while I will, maybe 5-6 times over the course of a season. Like to fade them more than backing them but if I feel there is value I will take -200.

to people who almost never lay more than -130 in baseball i ask, why not?
if there is a good pitching matchup at -200 there is usually at least a 2/3 chance of winning.

just as an example, for brewers games this year every time there has been a -180 favorite they have won! 8-0! so anyone avoiding that is missing out on big $.

a quick glance at some other teams in -180 situations:
atlanta 4-1
cubs 6-2
boston, a bad one this year i see 6-4
chisox 3-1

without knowing all of the #s i have a hunch it is much better to play the big favorites in the national league.

Doesn't a higher line like -240 mean they have a better chance to win?

:houra

No really. I will bet heavy baseball chalk when the situation warrants. I did play Boston today at -240. It may turn out to be a bad bet, but the twins have struggled with the Sox. Beckett has had some struggles of late but keeps his team in games. Hernandez throws at 85mph and I see the BoSox putting up a big number.

I will probrably be on a -200 team 20 times during a season if that. I usually don't like to see a team that should be a -200 favorite open up at -160 or so, sends up red flags for me.

durito

EOG Senior Member

As often as possible.

Contrary to what's mentioned here, -200 is not higher juice than -110. In fact, a -200/+180 line set is much less juice than -110/-110

Also, parlaying -200 or whatever odds instead of making straight bets, increases your risk, not the other way around.

cassiusclay

EOG Master

no problem doing it but i cut my normal wager size at least in half when i do it and i hate laying big wood....