Favre as #2 in Green Bay

Keneke

EOG Enthusiast
GREEN BAY, Wis. (AP) -- The Green Bay Packers' general manager and coach say they don't plan to grant Brett Favre's request for his release.
GM Ted Thompson and coach Mike McCarthy told The Associated Press on Saturday that the star quarterback was welcome to rejoin the team but would have to be a backup.
It was their first public comments since Favre demanded his release this week. Favre held a tearful news conference to announce his retirement March 6.
Thompson and McCarthy did not want to discuss a possible trade. Thompson said he had not received any inquiries as of Saturday morning.

Re: Favre as #2 in Green Bay

I think this is the worst scenario of them all. Puts too much pressure on Rogers with Favre lingering around as a backup. No doubt it's a huge plus to have two solid quarterbacks on an NFL team these days but I think it's going to be too frustrating in this case.

O'Royken

EOG Dedicated

The news of Favre coming back is good news for the Packers. Instead of having him retire and getting nothing they can trade him and get draft picks.

Enfuego

EOG Dedicated

The news of Favre coming back is good news for the Packers. Instead of having him retire and getting nothing they can trade him and get draft picks.

I just read the Packers don't want to trade him. They just want him to rot at the #2. IMO this is so bad for the Pack, Favre, fans and worst of all Aaron Rodgers. When AR underperforms the fans are going to go crazy on his ass and Favre's name will be called every snap. Just let the guy go.

kid44

EOG Dedicated

Rodgers is VERY injury prone. Favre will play after the first 3-4 games.

sean1

EOG Dedicated

This is all stupid show.

When GB takes the field in September, #4 will be starting.

Sean

Journeyman

EOG Master

This is all stupid show.

Sean

Well said Sean, this is all simply window dressing at this point, Green bay mgt trying to save a little face.

Brett and his streak will be alive come week 1.

12io4j2w90

Prickly Pete

EOG Veteran

This is all stupid show.

Sean

I agree with the stupid part but not with #4 starting. Rumors are the Packers went this direction because they feel Favre will not show up for training camp as the #2 and thus would stay retired as he wouldn't really have any other options.

Prickly Pete

EOG Veteran

Some other interesting things coming out today as it appears the Packers aren't going to sit around and let Favre make them out to be the bad guys. Apparently in late March the Favre contacted the Packers and said he changed his mind about retirement. At that time the Packers welcomed him back only to have Favre call it off right before it was to be official. If true, Favre can't claim he was forced by management to retire as they were willing to welcome him back in March.

Some sort of local rally is apparently being planned to try to convince Management to take Favre back which is supposedly going to be met with a rally opposing taking him back. Fairly even split right now in Green Bay. The more that this drags on the more people are swayed to the Packers side. One of the biggest Favre fans (a local sportswriter) came out today and said that no other NFL player has tarnished his legacy this bad since OJ Simpson. Not sure I would go that far but 6 months ago everyone loved Favre in Green Bay and that is most definitely not the case anymore.

The local paper quoted a NFL GM in an article today stating that problem the Packers face is do you live for one year or build for now and the future. He said that if he were the Packers he would move on without Favre, it was probably the Minnesota GM hoping the Packers listen.

O'Royken

EOG Dedicated

I just read the Packers don't want to trade him. They just want him to rot at the #2. IMO this is so bad for the Pack, Favre, fans and worst of all Aaron Rodgers. When AR underperforms the fans are going to go crazy on his ass and Favre's name will be called every snap. Just let the guy go.

This is all postering.

Favre wont want to be a backup and Green Bay is committed with Rodgers.

Favre will be a Raven this season and the question is what do the Packers get back?

A #1 and #3 draft pick?

What do you guys think Favre's worth back in a trade?

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

Good thing about the fans up there....there will be no booing and hissing if Rodgers throws an interception in home game 1 of the season with the fans knowing Brett is standing there with a clipboard.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

He's only worth it for a team who has a shot to win the SB THIS year. He has to be viewed as a one year guy.....so the team trading for him is going 'all in' for 2008.

Journeyman

EOG Master

Draft picks are like gold in the NFL, no way Brett would command a #1 back...I'm thinking more like a 4 or 5, maybe a 3....the deal would involve more than just a draft pick.

GB has no choice but to make this move, this is nothing buit a chess game right now....can you imaghine the division between players and coaches if they did keep Brett on the bench?

Some other interesting things coming out today as it appears the Packers aren't going to sit around and let Favre make them out to be the bad guys. Apparently in late March the Favre contacted the Packers and said he changed his mind about retirement. At that time the Packers welcomed him back only to have Favre call it off right before it was to be official. If true, Favre can't claim he was forced by management to retire as they were willing to welcome him back in March.

Some sort of local rally is apparently being planned to try to convince Management to take Favre back which is supposedly going to be met with a rally opposing taking him back. Fairly even split right now in Green Bay. The more that this drags on the more people are swayed to the Packers side. One of the biggest Favre fans (a local sportswriter) came out today and said that no other NFL player has tarnished his legacy this bad since OJ Simpson. Not sure I would go that far but 6 months ago everyone loved Favre in Green Bay and that is most definitely not the case anymore.

The local paper quoted a NFL GM in an article today stating that problem the Packers face is do you live for one year or build for now and the future. He said that if he were the Packers he would move on without Favre, it was probably the Minnesota GM hoping the Packers listen.

Points well made.

My take is that GB is taking every precaution to make sure Favre does not play for a team within their division. And to a lesser extent, the Conference.

This deal is the only way Favre can ever play again. Brett has no other options and GB management has all the cards.

GB then trades him to an AFC team for top value.

Good management move by the Packers. 12io4j2w90

I think the packers trade him to a AFC team ESPN has mention the Ravens in the past probably for a conditional draft pick all depending on how he does.

No way he ends up a Viking or Bear and I think the Pack would prefer he go to the AFC. They wont have him be a backup to much pressue on Rogers then

I think the packers trade him to a AFC team ESPN has mention the Ravens in the past probably for a conditional draft pick all depending on how he does.

No way he ends up a Viking or Bear and I think the Pack would prefer he go to the AFC. They wont have him be a backup to much pressue on Rogers then

Exactly :cheers

Btwizzy

EOG Addicted

Good management move by the Packers? I think the Packers are seriously dropping the ball on the whole situation. I just don't understand a scenario where a team is extremely close to super bowl caliber, dropping there team leader and hall of fame qb for someone that is unproven and injury prone. You only get so many opportunities to win a super bowl in the NFL, the window doesn't stay open for long and now you are slapping your best player in the face and telling him he is a back up. I don't understand this scenario at all, I understand it is difficult for Green Bay, but in my opinion it should have been handled better by Green Bay a LONG time ago. Favre is being an idiot but thats how it is with some professional athletes, they think the world revolves around them and act like it. The job of the GM and Head Coach is fielding the BEST team possible and winning football games. I don't see this move as any improvment.

Btwizzy

EOG Addicted

5 Star Bomb, I am hoping that happens, but for the first time in a long time I have my doubts.

sean1

EOG Dedicated

It's all window dressing at this point.

If you didn't think Brett was still really damn good, you'd let him walk and not care where he goes. Since you care, you know he is good and you will start him.

Packers are in a great spot - very good team with 3 QBs they can trade. Brett wont be one of them.

It's also interesting, that the GM has already backed down from backup to we don't know... A week into training camp, it will be Brett has won the starting job.

When Brett shows up at training camp, who do you think 79 of the 80 guys are going to want to start? YOu think the coach is gonna tell the team - we almost made the super bowl last year. We may be better this year. Favre wants to play, but we are going to pass on being good this year?

Sean