Billy Packer done at CBS.. What do you think about this?

Apple

Banned
CBS parting ways with Billy Packer

<!-- // Writer Attribution// --><!-- Meta Tag For Search --><!-- meta name="author" content=""--><!-- meta name="source" content="FOXSports.com"--><!-- meta name="eventId" content=""--><!-- meta name="contentTypeCode" content="1"--><!-- meta name="editorContentCode" content="1"--><!-- meta name="blurb" content=""--><!-- meta name="modDate" content="July 14, 2008 21:46:19 GMT"-->by FOXSports.com

<!-- // Story Tools // --><SCRIPT type=text/javascript>addthis_pub = 'foxSports';</SCRIPT><SCRIPT src="http://s7.addthis.com/js/152/addthis_widget.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT>Updated: July 14, 2008, 4:46 PM EST 313 comments

add this RSS blog email print
<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> //document.getElementById('number_of_comments').innerHTML = commentCount+" Comments"; </SCRIPT><!-- // Story Content // --><SCRIPT> if(fanid.length > 0 && typeof(nflDefaultLeague)!= "undefined") { leagueId = nflDefaultLeague; //find teamId of default league (if exists) for(var i=0; i < teamsInfo.length; i++){ if(teamsInfo[4] == leagueId){ defaultTeamId = teamsInfo[0]; } } var fantasyLeaguePlayerJsPath = 'http://msn.foxsports.com' + '/nugget/200002_' + leagueId + '|||' + fanid; } </SCRIPT>Billy Packer didn't sound like a man who found out his 34-year run as part of the Final Four broadcast had ended.

<STYLE>.moreTeamsDiv { position:relative; float:right; padding-right:10px;}.moreTeamsHdr { background-image:url(/fe/img/Story/moreTeamsOn_header.gif); background-repeat:repeat-x; background-position:top; height:35px; color:#000000; font-family:Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size:12px; padding-top:4px; padding-left:4px; font-weight:bold;}.moreTeamsLinks a:link, .moreTeamsLinks a:visited { color:#1266a4; text-decoration:none; padding-top:4px; padding-left:4px; padding-right:4px; padding-bottom:4px;}.moreTeamsLinks a:hover { text-decoration:underline;}.moreTeamLinks { font-family:Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; text-decoration:none;}.storyPoll { padding-bottom: 5px; float:right;}</STYLE><SCRIPT language=JavaScript type=text/javascript>var pollWidth=250;</SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=JavaScript1.2 src="/fe/js/lib/javascriptFlash/FSJavaScriptFlashGateway.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=JavaScript type=text/javascript> var userStatus='vote'; // if this poll is the one for which they have answered, show results if (typeof(pollsVoted)!="undefined") { for (var i = 0; i < pollsVoted.length; i++) { if (pollsVoted == 8342982) { var userStatus = 'results'; break; } } } // has to have retry because hitbox code is defered. function hitBoxVote(m,p) { } var pollHeight = 0; if (pollHeight == 0) { pollHeight = Math.max(140 + (2 * 40) ); } var flashPollQuery='choices=2&questionId=270290&pollId=8342982&cUrl=&pgCode=null&categoryId=null&userStatus='+userStatus; var tag = new FSFlashTag("/id/8796869", 300, pollHeight); // movie path, last two arguments are width and height tag.setId('flashPoll'); tag.setFlashvars(flashPollQuery); tag.setWmode('transparent'); tag.write(document);</SCRIPT>
n Monday, CBS announced that Clark Kellogg would replace Packer after 27 years as the network's lead college basketball analyst. Including his earlier years at NBC, Packer had done every Final Four since 1975, an unparalleled run for a national sports championship.
"These are really good circumstances," Packer told The Associated Press by phone. "This decision was made with myself and CBS over a year ago. Their timing to announce it is their business. I have nothing to do with that. I was working on a series of 1-year contracts for several years. ... I did say there would be no mention during the season so as not to detract from the games and the guys involved."
Kellogg, a game and studio analyst for CBS for 16 years, will be the man next to Jim Nantz on the 2009 Final Four broadcasts.
"With his unquestioned popularity and performance over the years, Clark Kellogg earned all rights to this top spot," Sean McManus, president of CBS News and Sports, said in a statement. "Like Billy Packer, Al McGuire or any of the most highly regarded broadcasters, Clark is an original voice with his own style and perspective."
The 68-year-old Packer said he was "happy" for Kellogg, who played at Ohio State and then in the NBA.
"I think he has worked his trade and certainly as a player was a student of the game. His work at CBS and the fact he is such a smart guy should serve him well," Packer said. "I wish him nothing but the best."
Packer also will end his long run as an analyst for Raycom, a regional network that covers the Atlantic Coast Conference.
<!-- ========== LINKS ========= -->

"I have had a chance to broadcast most of the great games since college basketball got on national television and I'm not interested in broadcasting any more games," he said. "I enjoyed doing that but I won't be any more."
He said he is involved in a college basketball project that he'll discuss in a few months.
Packer was able to stay one of sports' top analysts without changing much over more than three decades. He spoke his mind about coaches, players, the NCAA tournament and the influx of foreign athletes into American college sports.
His criticism of the tournament committee became standard fare on Selection Sunday and it often turned into a public battle with the likes of Saint Joseph's coach Phil Martelli when his team received a No. 1 seed in 2004.
His reputation took a hit when he made insulting comments to two female Duke students when he was asked for a credential at a game at Cameron Indoor Stadium, and years earlier when he referred to former Georgetown guard Allen Iverson as a "tough little monkey." He apologized for both remarks.
There wasn't much flash to his style, just a lot of basketball expertise from a coach's son who played in the Final Four for Wake Forest in 1962 and briefly coached on the college level.
His serious, basketball-first approach was clearly sedate compared to that of Dick Vitale, the bombastic ESPN and ABC analyst who came on the broadcast scene about a decade after Packer began his run.
"The only word to describe Billy is a giant," said Big East commissioner Mike Tranghese, whose conference has a working relationship with CBS. "His passion for the game and presenting it the way he presented it is, I think unrivaled. This creates an incredible void. Those of us who have a passion for the game of college basketball are really going to miss him."
Including Kellogg.
"His excellence as an analyst is Hall of Fame worthy," he said. "His knowledge of the game and its history is unparalleled. That, along with his passion and keen insights, enabled him do his work as an analyst better and longer than anyone in the game's history. His legacy is one of enduring excellence and keeping the focus on the game. That is the foundation I aspire to build on."
Don't ask Packer to reflect on his career and pick a favorite game or personality. "I basically have spent my whole life looking forward. I really haven't spent any time looking back," he said. "I am involved in a lot of different projects outside of sports. I haven't spent, and don't anticipate spending, any time looking back."

ouch

EOG Dedicated
Re: Billy Packer done at CBS.. What do you think about this?

A newspaper reporter once described Billy Packer as follows:

"Seldom right, but never in doubt."

Personally, I liked him, and will miss him during the NCAA tourney.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!

can he take dickie v with him?

BIG TIME disagree

Dickie V cares about the game

Packer only cares about himself. He is an arrogant little puke ass mother fucker and i am ECSTATIC to see him GONE - wish it happened 20+ years ago

15 years past the time he shouldve been fired. he is biased against certain teams, and i disagree with his idiotic points of views routinely. he is also beyond arrogant (which is ok with me) if he was ever correct on a point. however, he rarely was and is one of the old alpha males who thinks he could yell the loudest and make the point. a dinosaur. siyah nara.

BIG TIME disagree

Packer only cares about himself. He is an arrogant little puke ass mother fucker and i am ECSTATIC to see him GONE - wish it happened 20+ years ago

Just because Vitale cares about the game doesn't mean he's a good TV analyst.

Journeyman

EOG Master

BIG TIME disagree

WInky is sharp in this area and I totally agree. Paker use to be great way back when with Billy Thacker on the Jefferson Pilot-ACC broadcasts, this goes back some 25 years....he became full of himself somewhere along the way...probably age played a part.

lousy know-it-all - good riddance!!! :+excited-

i agree, dick is way past his days of being a credible analyst. however, he is a great guy, and ambassador for the game. to group him in with packer is a sin. packer is a prick.

i do agree dicky v is done thought. slam jam bam is 35 years old now.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!

Dickie V is GOOD for the game
Packer is BAD for the game

Dickie V still CARES about CBB - Packer stopped caring a long time ago and the sooner they got rid of this arrogant fuck the better. shoulda happened a lonnnnnnnnnng time ago

Apple

Banned

I'm gonna miss Packer a little bit only cause I got used to him.. I disagreed with him a lot.

Almost Allright

GO Bucks!!!

I know dickie v loves the game but thanks for the obvious anyway. I only can listen to him about 2 minutes. and EVERY game he is in Duke enters the conversation someway somehow. Dickie V a great guy but honestly you guys are telling me he never thinks he is bigger than the game.

Dickie V is GOOD for the game
Packer is BAD for the game

Dickie V still CARES about CBB - Packer stopped caring a long time ago and the sooner they got rid of this arrogant fuck the better. shoulda happened a lonnnnnnnnnng time ago

I never said Dickie V is bad for the game. I think he's a terrific ambassador of college ball. Obviously he cares deeply about it. But again, what does that have to do with how good a job he does as a TV analyst?

He could cure cancer but still suck as a TV analyst, right?

rjt721

EOG Master

When will they replace Jim Nantz with Gus Johnson?

Apple

Banned

Gus Johnson has to be the most exciting of all the annoucers.. That guy is one of the best

I know dickie v loves the game but thanks for the obvious anyway. I only can listen to him about 2 minutes. and EVERY game he is in Duke enters the conversation someway somehow. Dickie V a great guy but honestly you guys are telling me he never thinks he is bigger than the game.
no i dont think he is an egomaniac at all. i think he is a boisterous man who loves his job, often overextending himself in his trade. he goes too far, yes. but i think its a bit callus and overthetop to accuse him of trying to steal the game's thunder. he also is personally responsible for the explosion of college basketball as well... i think dicky v just loves the game, and it fires him up to talk about it. and espn doesnt muffle him.

the ape

EOG Addicted

raftery is the best of all time with college baskets best of all time ever

Journeyman

EOG Master

I'm gonna miss Packer a little bit only cause I got used to him.. I disagreed with him a lot.

I'm sure we'll still see him somewhere, and why wouldn't CBS keep him for the 2nd team or whatever? Maybe his head is too big for that.

Other top guys have moved down a notch, it still seems like a noice job for a man approaching 70.

I think part of what happened here, he was just to old, sadly that does play a part at some point....I always enjoyed Billy , I remember him as a kid doing the ACC broadcasts.

The past few years seeing Billy at the NCAA Final post game celebration , it just didn't look right anymore, him being out there with kids he could damn near be their great grandfather....they probably don't even know who he is....half these kids have zero sense of history or who is who.

Vitale on the other hand still seems to care and is still in touch with todays player, his 'top guy' shelf life will soon expire too though.

jlawbaker

EOG Senior Member

Give me Bill Raferty and Vern Lundquist any day of the week and twice on Sunday. I just love it when the opening tip ocurrs and Raferty tells Lundquist that whoever is on defense goes "man-to-man."

I'm still grieving too much on the declining role ESPN has given Stephen A. Smith to think about the others at this time.