Favre-to-Jets talks heat up as Goodell again defers reinstatement

MIKEH75

EOG Dedicated
GREEN BAY, Wis. ? The New York Jets are in serious talks with the Green Bay Packers and Brett Favre's agent about acquiring the legendary quarterback, a person close to the situation said Thursday.
The Jets and Tampa Bay Buccaneers are the only teams that have permission to speak with Favre about a potential trade for now. Favre's agent, Bus Cook, has been in talks with the Jets, who have shown a growing interest, but Cook has not been working closely with the Buccaneers, according to two people familiar with the talks.
Favre would have to sign off on any trade before a new team would be willing to give up compensation for him, because if he refuses to report to the new team's camp, the trade would be voided. The extent of Cook's talks with the Jets means Favre at least is considering playing for them.

PHOTOS: Packers training camp
PACKERS QB PLAN: Short on experience
FANS TORN IN GREEN BAY: Allegiances split by civil war

Ted Thompson, the Packers' general manager, has been asking for a draft pick that could escalate to a better pick based on Favre's and the new team's performance. Thompson and the Packers have stated repeatedly they plan to move forward with Aaron Rodgers, the former first-round pick and Favre's backup the past three years, as their starting quarterback.
FIND MORE STORIES IN: Mississippi | New York Jets | Chicago Bears | Green Bay Packers | Minnesota Vikings | Brett Favre | Tampa Bay Buccaneers | Gannett | Roger Goodell | Jeff Garcia | Greg Aiello | Eric Mangini | Brad Childress | Aaron Rodgers | Ted Thompson | Milwaukee Journal Sentinel | Kellen Clemens | Pennington | Bus Cook | Green Bay Press-Gazette
Favre could force the Packers' hand by showing up to training camp, and he was scheduled to take a private plane to Green Bay on Thursday. However, that flight was delayed multiple times and then apparently canceled.
Cook said the three-time MVP understands he would be walking into a media frenzy by showing up for the Packers' training camp, but he's willing to deal with that rather than have retirement forced on him.
"He's prepared to deal with it," James "Bus" Cook told the Associated Press on Thursday. "He's ready to go back, but he can't go back until the commissioner reinstates him."
For a third straight day, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell declined to act on Favre's request for reinstatement from the reserve/retired list to give the Packers time to resolve the situation. That Goodell has waited this long indicates progress is being made toward a resolution.
"The Packers and Brett Favre are continuing their discussions," NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said in an e-mail to the Press-Gazette today. "The commissioner preferred to let those discussions continue rather than act on the reinstatement petition today."
Cook said Favre still wants to be released, something the Packers have ruled out.
"If he was given his release, there's no guarantee he'd go anywhere to play," Cook said. "However, he'd have the freedom to choose if he should decide to play."
The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reported Thursday that Packers officials have had internal discussions about trading Favre to the Minnesota Vikings or Chicago Bears as a "last resort" to resolve the smoldering controversy.
"That's news to me," Vikings coach Brad Childress said Thursday. "Whatever you're hearing, I'm not hearing."
Tampa Bay's need at quarterback might have increased Thursday, after veteran Jeff Garcia was carted off the practice field with what the team called a calf strain.
As it stands, though, the Jets have the more tenuous quarterback situation. New York was 4-12 last season, but in 2006, coach Eric Mangini's first season, the Jets went 10-6 and earned a wild-card berth in the AFC playoffs. Chad Pennington and Kellen Clemens are competing for the starting job; Pennington never has been the same since suffering a shoulder injury in 2004, and Clemens was ineffective in 10 games (eight starts) last year, throwing 10 interceptions and only five touchdown passes.
Mark Murphy, the Packers' president and chief executive officer, on Wednesday had a day-long meeting with Favre and Cook in Cook's Mississippi law office and offered Favre as much as $20 million over 10 years if he stays retired. Favre and Cook have said for nearly a month that Favre wants to be released, a request Thompson has denied.
The Packers, who did not practice Thursday, return to the practice field for the first of two sessions Friday at 8:45 a.m. Favre will not be there.

By Pete Dougherty and Tom Pelissero, Green Bay Press-Gazette

Tuckman

Uh Poster
Re: Favre-to-Jets talks heat up as Goodell again defers reinstatement

farve going to the jets would be like jman going to post at freewinners :rolleyes:

MIKEH75

EOG Dedicated

the titans play the packers at home november 2 and then we play the jets at home november 23 so we might get a chance to face rodgers and favre but i'd much rather face clemons or pennington at QB.

MIKEH75

EOG Dedicated

farve going to the jets would be like jman going to post at freewinners :rolleyes:

i'll admit seeing favre in a jet uniform is slightly strange and a bit of a letdown because its sort of an under the radar team right now that doesn't have the talent of the vikings or other playoff contendors.i don't see why favre would want to play for the jets:+clueless

Tuckman

Uh Poster

i'll admit seeing favre in a jet uniform is slightly strange and a bit of a letdown because its sort of an under the radar team right now that doesn't have the talent of the vikings or other playoff contendors.i don't see why favre would want to play for the jets:+clueless

i think he would stay retired instead of playing for them, at least i would if i was him :doh1

MIKEH75

EOG Dedicated

Trade rumors linking the New York Jets to Brett Favre aren't dead.
The Green Bay Press-Gazette is reporting the Jets "are in serious talks with the Green Bay Packers" and Favre's agent, James "Bus" Cook.
The story, attributing the inside info to an unnamed source, stated "the extent of Cook's talks with the Jets means Favre at least is considering playing for them."
If true, it also would mean 10 practices into camp the Jets aren't convinced they can win with either Chad Pennington or Kellen Clemens.
The report comes on the heels of a practice Jets coach Eric Mangini called "a joke."
Mangini faulted his team for going through the motions.
"It was more trying to get through practice than practicing with a purpose, and that's not acceptable," Mangini said. "It's going to be hot in Miami. It's hot now. We're going to be tired in that game. We're tired now. We've got to be able to deal with those things and still get done what we have to get done.
"I mean, come on. It's a joke compared to what we have done."
Favre showing up at Hofstra University sure would make everybody snap to.

MIKEH75

EOG Dedicated

i think he would stay retired instead of playing for them, at least i would if i was him :doh1

me too,for me it would be the vikings or some team with a chance or just stay retired.

pioneer

EOG Dedicated

"For a third straight day, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell declined to act on Favre's request for reinstatement from the reserve/retired list to give the Packers time to resolve the situation. That Goodell has waited this long indicates progress is being made toward a resolution."

Perhaps Goodell is doing this in agreement with Favre, but according to ESPN, he is supposed to rule on it within 24 hours. Goodell expects players, coaches, refs, owners, et al to follow the rules and he fines them accordingly if they err, but yet he doesn't have to follow the rules?

Who said it..."Absolute power corrupts absolutely"?

MIKEH75

EOG Dedicated

something tells me by this time tomorrow we will be seeing favre in the big apple.just from reading jets coach mangini ripping the players practice workout shows me he is ready and willing for some change or spark and favre may be it.

pioneer

EOG Dedicated

"The story, attributing the inside info to an unnamed source, stated "the extent of Cook's talks with the Jets means Favre at least is considering playing for them."
If true, it also would mean 10 practices into camp the Jets aren't convinced they can win with either Chad Pennington or Kellen Clemens."

...I could have told them that 10 practices ago

MIKEH75

EOG Dedicated

Brett Favre, convinced that Green Bay will never permit him to compete to be its starting quarterback and recognizing its unwillingness to ship him to an NFC North rival, is actively considering an offer from the Packers that would provide the quarterback a paid lifetime role with the franchise that would not involve playing.
"There isn't a perfect solution to this, but [Packers president] Mark Murphy is at least trying," Favre told ESPN's Ed Werder via text message on Thursday night. "We know what they want and where I stand. His solution, although awkward and unsettling for most, may be the best in the end.''
Favre could be forced to report to camp unless the Packers reach agreement with him on a non-playing role before commissioner Roger Goodell reinstates him. He has at least until Friday to resolve this standoff after Goodell opted earlier on Thursday to delay granting the quarterback his reinstatement one day.
"Once he's reinstated, Brett's going in, and once that happens Packerland becomes Disneyland -- although that's not what Brett wants for his teammates,'' Favre's agent, James "Bus" Cook, told ESPN. "He wants them to be successful and do well. But that's what happens if this thing doesn't get resolved, and he decides to report."

MIKEH75

EOG Dedicated

its not a very exciting choice i'll say that.the talk now is he is willing to stay retired for the 20 million...sad ain't it.