Some Movies you "might not have seen" but should check out...

phoich4

EOG Addicted
Re: Some Movies you "might not have seen" but should check out...

Into the Wild

Its a recent movie with Emile Hersch, Vince Vaughn as well as a host of others. The movie is based on a true story and is a very moving story about a guy trying to find his way through life traveling across the country after graduating college. If you have the means I highly recomend picking this up.

A movie from about 4-5 years ago with Ashley Judd - I had never heard of it, and pick it up at Blockbuster accidentally. I ended up loving it: "Simon Birch." Watch it. It's really good.

JuiceBox

EOG Senior Member

"Kids" is kinda unusual and worth seeing...weird rape scene at the end.

"Straw Dogs" was different. Again, another strange rape scene.:doggie

"Over The Edge" I think was the name of the movie where out of control teens terrorize a small suburban city. I used to love this movie. Sorry, no rape in this one that I can recall!

Then theres one I seen a long time ago that was about a little negro with a soft head. He had to wear a helment to keep his noggin from getting crushed. Well his noggin ended up getting crushed by accident and well....he died! I think the movie was named George Washington, but i'm not sure. I think I seen this movie? It may have been a dream, i'm not sure. :+clueless

"Trainspotter" was weird. It had a dead baby scene that freaked me out.

mr merlin

EOG Master

Dark star - harmless low budget fun at its best.

VegasRandy

EOG Veteran

Into the Wild

Its a recent movie with Emile Hersch, Vince Vaughn as well as a host of others. The movie is based on a true story and is a very moving story about a guy trying to find his way through life traveling across the country after graduating college. If you have the means I highly recomend picking this up.

The book was great. Didn't know there was a movie. I'll check it out.

VegasRandy

EOG Veteran

watching mr brooks and thinking about death sentence?

so far mr brooks is really good.

I rented Mr Brooks on this threads advice.

Liked it a lot. The alter ego with the separtate characters worked well.

:cheers

Enfuego

EOG Dedicated

Into the Wild

This, my friends, is a very good movie.

Enfuego

EOG Dedicated

A very good Kevin Bacon thriller is:

Stir of Echos

A very, very good thriller based on a Stephen King novel is:

Storm of the Century

A very good Russell Crowe flick that goes unoticed:

The Insider

A very, very, very good film by Oliver Stone:

JFK

VegasRandy

EOG Veteran

2 movies:

PREFONTAINE (1998)- True story of Steve Prefontaine. Pre- was a runner for the Universtiy of Oregon seeking Olympic gold.

The story revolves around two points of view. One from the coach who believes winning is the point of competing.

And then their's Pre's view that testing your limits and giving all you have is important to living and understanding your life, regardless of the short term concequencies.

Exceptional movie!

Every Time We Say Goodbye (1986) with Tom Hanks and Cristina Marsillach.

Marsillach is a Spanish actress who is Tom Hanks love interest. Cristina is beyond description in this movie. Beauty defined.

It's a story about forbidden love. Hanks is an american pilot in WWII who is shot down and that's where the story begins.

Marsillach's family is dead-set against their daughter dating the American. There is no sugar-coated perfect ending, but it's not depressing either. This is one of those rare films that is able to capture both the dispair of human prejudices and the optimism of love.

The Prophet

EOG Dedicated

Flim Flam Man (1967)

Actors: George C. Scott, Sue Lyon, Harry Morgan, Jack Albertson, Alice Ghostley

Reviews:

Not too many people have heard of the 1967 film "The Flim Flam Man," and that's too bad for them. I have owned this lovely valentine of a movie for several years, and have always appreciated its comedic/dramatic allure. Everything clicks perfectly in this old fashioned film, from its authentic locations (this movie was filmed in small town Kentucky) to a wonderful musical score by Jerry Goldsmith.

I love George C. Scott's rip-snorting performance as a train-hopping con-man whose legend precedes him. He literally stumbles upon a military AWOL drifter in Michael Sarrazin, and the unlikely pair join forces to make a little cash. Camping in abandoned railroad cars, hiking cross country and stealing a car or two, this colorful pair eventually has the county police hot on their tails. Along the way, Sarrazin falls in love with the mayor's daughter, Slim Pickens loses his paycheck (great scene) and Scott samples a bit of the local moonshine.

"The Flim Flam Man" is aided by a cast of extraordinary character actors, including Harry Morgan, Jack Albertson, Strother Martin, Albert Salmi and Pickens. Morgan, as the local sheriff, is especially funny in a grand slapstick role. But director Irvin Kershner has done an excellent job in balancing comedy, drama and romance with skilled ease. It's the quieter moments in "The Flim Flam Man" that I truly admire, such as the scene when Scott reminisces about the purple-eyed girl he once loved in Missouri, or when Sarrazin discusses his dreams of the future with Sue Lyon.

This is such a charming movie, that each time I watch it I'm sad to see it end. "The Film Flam Man" transports us to a dreamy Southern land, colorful and optimistic, train whistles in the background, vibrant town squares, campfires beneath railroad bridges, bustling general stores. While this film was made in 1967, the small town ambiance of "The Flim Flam Man" harkens back to a time 30-40 years prior. It's a romantic recreation, in some ways a tender tribute to a past way of life. I always find the final image, of the abandoned bicycle resting at the railroad crossing, to be haunting, with Scott's character having disappeared to rustic parts unknown. I would love to join him on his journey.

For those anacquainted, "The Flim Flam Man" is a great discovery.

==============

Very few people have actually heard of this movie, which is sad, because it's one of the greatest comedies ever made. George C Scott, portrays Mordecai Jones whose aim in life is to teach people the dangers of ignorance combined with greed. As he tells his new sidekick, he holds a MSBSCSDD degree; that is: Master of Back Stabbin' Cork Screwin' and Double Dealin'. The two of them proceed to teach these lessons to a variety of suitable subjects, with rolling on the floor laughing results. The car chase is possibly the funniest 8 minutes ever put on film. As Mordecai commented after virtually destroying the town, "They'll remember us in Clayton, boy". Not to be missed.

VegasRandy

EOG Veteran

The UP Series

The documentary is a brilliant but simple test to prove the Jesuit maxim, "Give me the child until he is seven and I will give you the man." The theory is that personality is formed by the age of seven.

To prove or disprove this they take 14 seven year olds from different backgrounds and interview them on their hopes, dreams and expectations in life.

They are re-interviewed every seven years, examing the progression of their lives.

I have viewed thru 49 Up and I'm really pleased. One subject from an orphanage who suffered from a lack of confidence early on is really interesting. You see how this has carried on thru-out his life. He's aware and talks openly about it. Interesting.

To witness on film the implications of early personality on the outcome of someone?s life is fascinating.

Roger Ebert puts this, "On my list of the ten greatest films of all time."

Best documentary ever.

You can get it at Amazon.

VegasRandy

EOG Veteran

Flim Flam Man (1967)

Actors: George C. Scott, Sue Lyon, Harry Morgan, Jack Albertson, Alice Ghostley

Reviews:

Not too many people have heard of the 1967 film "The Flim Flam Man," and that's too bad for them. I have owned this lovely valentine of a movie for several years, and have always appreciated its comedic/dramatic allure. Everything clicks perfectly in this old fashioned film, from its authentic locations (this movie was filmed in small town Kentucky) to a wonderful musical score by Jerry Goldsmith.

I love George C. Scott's rip-snorting performance as a train-hopping con-man whose legend precedes him. He literally stumbles upon a military AWOL drifter in Michael Sarrazin, and the unlikely pair join forces to make a little cash. Camping in abandoned railroad cars, hiking cross country and stealing a car or two, this colorful pair eventually has the county police hot on their tails. Along the way, Sarrazin falls in love with the mayor's daughter, Slim Pickens loses his paycheck (great scene) and Scott samples a bit of the local moonshine.

"The Flim Flam Man" is aided by a cast of extraordinary character actors, including Harry Morgan, Jack Albertson, Strother Martin, Albert Salmi and Pickens. Morgan, as the local sheriff, is especially funny in a grand slapstick role. But director Irvin Kershner has done an excellent job in balancing comedy, drama and romance with skilled ease. It's the quieter moments in "The Flim Flam Man" that I truly admire, such as the scene when Scott reminisces about the purple-eyed girl he once loved in Missouri, or when Sarrazin discusses his dreams of the future with Sue Lyon.

This is such a charming movie, that each time I watch it I'm sad to see it end. "The Film Flam Man" transports us to a dreamy Southern land, colorful and optimistic, train whistles in the background, vibrant town squares, campfires beneath railroad bridges, bustling general stores. While this film was made in 1967, the small town ambiance of "The Flim Flam Man" harkens back to a time 30-40 years prior. It's a romantic recreation, in some ways a tender tribute to a past way of life. I always find the final image, of the abandoned bicycle resting at the railroad crossing, to be haunting, with Scott's character having disappeared to rustic parts unknown. I would love to join him on his journey.

For those anacquainted, "The Flim Flam Man" is a great discovery.

==============

Very few people have actually heard of this movie, which is sad, because it's one of the greatest comedies ever made. George C Scott, portrays Mordecai Jones whose aim in life is to teach people the dangers of ignorance combined with greed. As he tells his new sidekick, he holds a MSBSCSDD degree; that is: Master of Back Stabbin' Cork Screwin' and Double Dealin'. The two of them proceed to teach these lessons to a variety of suitable subjects, with rolling on the floor laughing results. The car chase is possibly the funniest 8 minutes ever put on film. As Mordecai commented after virtually destroying the town, "They'll remember us in Clayton, boy". Not to be missed.

I went to Amazon to buy it and it says VHS. Whats that? :+clueless

ballwonder

EOG Master

Movie called Hard Candy. great actress but cannot think of her name

Chackiee

EOG Veteran

Last Exit To Brooklyn With Jennifer Jason Leigh Was Good, Pretty Hard To Find Though

akillies

EOG Veteran

the Proposition
Australian indie starring guy pearce, emily watson, john hurt, ray winstone
a gritty violent western shot on location in the outback, written and scored by nic cave

trytrytry

All I do is trytrytry

great ideas for movies in this thread..really good stuff.

Bucsfan67

EOG Master

just saw an add for a movie i havent seen in a long time, but was a really good "drama/thriller"....one of Nicole Kidman's early efforts and one of her better ones..

Dead Calm.......

Munchkin Man

EOG Dedicated

Greetings:

An obscure and little known film that comes highly recommended by The Munchkin Man is The Conversation (1974), starring Gene Hackman and directed by Francis Ford Coppola.

The Munchkin Man invites you to read more about it here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Conversation

Best Wishes,

Munchkin Man

VegasRandy

EOG Veteran

The Jackal- 1997 Bruce Willis, Richard Gere, and Sidney Poitier.

VegasRandy

EOG Veteran

Papillion-1973 Dustin Hoffman & Steve McQueen.
Probably the best prison escape film of all time and it's a true story.

Here is a review:

I think Papillon is one of the most underated movie of all time. First of all, look at the director, the guy made Patton and Planet of the apes and I would say that this movie has the tag of it's director, no doubt about it
Franklin J. Schaffner felt that the obligation of motion pictures is to entertain, it's as basic as that, and that is exactly what Papillon does. It is also a movie that really triggers your emotions from start to finish.

I find myself watching this film time and time again because of its portrayal of one man's quest to gain his freedom no matter what it takes. Freedom always comes at a price. It is not something that is handed to us or exists freely. It must be earned and that is exactly what his character does by the time the credits role on this film. The viewer will not believe what the character of Papillon had to endure to gain his freedom. The trials he goes through are unforgettable and often left me wondering if I would persevere if I had to undergo the trials he faced.

Henri Charrire, the real life Papillon and author of the novel, talked about society and his real life experiences in this way:

"Society does not want free men. They talk freedom, democracy, anything you want, but they do not want free men. Society wants conditioned men, men who march in step." It's up to the viewer to agree or disagree with that statement while viewing the film.

VegasRandy

EOG Veteran

Every Time We Say Goodbye (1986) with Tom Hanks and Cristina Marsillach.

Marsillach is a Spanish actress who is Tom Hanks love interest. Cristina is beyond description in this movie. Beauty defined.

Here is a picture of Marsillach

Bucsfan67

EOG Master

Never even heard of that one Randy, and i'm a Hanks fan.........i'll have to look it up

Bucsfan67

EOG Master

"Sleeping with the Enemy"

one of Julia Roberts' better performances, but not her most famous one.....

Bucsfan67

EOG Master

"The Net"

with Sandra Bullock is a pretty good flick to watch especially if u just rent it, or catch in on TNT......pretty good plot, and some twists that make it pretty good...