Is Pudge Rodriguez the best Catcher of all time?

Pickandwin2

EOG Dedicated
Re: Is Pudge Rodriguez the best Catcher of all time?

Is Pudge Rodriguez the best Catcher of all time? All time of What ??

Maybe we forget Bench ?

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!

ID - please don't post when STONED

Johnny Bench is the best and asking if Pudge is the best is dumber than dumb

Enfuego

EOG Dedicated

Pudge is in the rearview mirror when it comes to these guys:

Hits Runs RBI OBP Slug OPS
Johnny Bench 2048 1091 1376 .342 .476 .818
Yogi Berra 2150 1175 1430 .348 .482 .826
Roy Campanella 1161 627 856 .360 .500 .860
Mickey Cochrane 1652 1041 832 .419 .478 .897
Bill Dickey 1969 930 1209 .382 .486 .868
Gabby Hartnett 1912 867 1179 .370 .489 .859

The Prophet

EOG Dedicated

At one time he played some of the best overall ball ever played at that catcher position.

NoNewbieca

EOG Dedicated

Pudge was only a formidable hitter when he was on the juice. Watch the incredible shrinking man from his days in Texas to the more clean days in Detroit. In the last twenty years, I would take Mike Piazza over him, and likely Carleton Fisk too.

Journeyman

EOG Master

The position starts with Johnny Bench and then there's everyone else.... Ivan Rodriguez is definitely one of the best ever....Johnny Bench is still the best though.

Some key comparable numbers between Bench and I Rod

Bench 2 MVP (4 top 4 MVP finishes)
Ivan 1 MVP

Ivan at age 36 and will be around 2630 career hits has a decent shot at 3000 hits, pretty amazing for a catcher , he doesn't walk alot though, which is unusual for a catcher, strikesout a lot more than he walks, catchers usually have a much better K to BB ratio....yeah he's a .302 hitter but only a .340 OBP.

Hits 2,585 , 293 HR, 1214 RBI ,OBP .340, 14 all star games, 13 GG
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Johnny Bench was retired by age 35, by age 33 he was no longer playing catcher full time, playing 1b, 3b and some outfield...he was a much more dominant player at his peak than I-Rod.... for 13 years Bench was a top ten or higher NL player, Rodriguez was more of a steady player that has lasted longer... Bench was greater but for a shorter length of time.

Hits 2,048 , 389 HR, 1376 RBI ,OBP .342, 14 all star games, 10 GG
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also it has to be mentioned that Ivan was clearly a juiced up player for most of his prime years and is clearly not the same power player off the juice....defensively Rodriguez is as good as any catcher that has ever played....his conditioning has kept him around a lot longer than almost any other catcher, and he appears to have a few more seasons left at catcher

Bench who played with several major injuries including a tumor on his lung , battled injuries for a lot of his career and still was an elite player of the entire league.

There's Johnny Bench and then there's the rest of MLBs great catchers.

Angelsfire

EOG Dedicated

IMO If we are talking about history i would say Yogi Berra But there are a few on the list like Micky Cochrane, Johnny Bench, Gabby Hartnett, and Mike Plazza. If we are talking about 2008 i would say Jorge Posada,of the Yankees is my fave.His stats http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/player?statsId=5502
I hope his shoulder surgery fixed him up good for next year..

Journeyman

EOG Master

That big contract Jorge landed...and he'll probably never be the same again....that was a mistake but they almost had to sign him!

Jorge's been very good for NY.

TomBrady#1

EOG Dedicated

That big contract Jorge landed...and he'll probably never be the same again....that was a mistake but they almost had to sign him!

Jorge's been very good for NY.

The problem is Showstopper that there is not many options for catchers. Probably not a great signing. Red Sox have the same situation coming up this offseason. What do you do with Varitek? He will want a big contract with a few years and the guy is on the downside of his career. Problem is he is a leader who still calls a great game and handles the staff very well. His bat is hurting an is getting worse. Not too many choices but I bet the Sox will NOT overpay him. Tough call. His body has been thru the wars behind the plate and he could be worse very soon too.

Journeyman

EOG Master

Varitek is another one!

I would be shocked if he gets anywhere near what he's pulling in now, I'd let him go.

TomBrady#1

EOG Dedicated

Tom any comment on my Bench-IRod post?

Yes, I think you are right on the money. My first reaction when I think of IRod is that he was juiced for while there (OBVIOUSLY) and that taints a lot of what he did. You mentioned that. Bench is the best and you said it all well.

Journeyman

EOG Master

Yes, I think you are right on the money. My first reaction when I think of IRod is that he was juiced for while there (OBVIOUSLY) and that taints a lot of what he did. You mentioned that. Bench is the best and you said it all well.

12io4j2w90

trytrytry

All I do is trytrytry

I think Joe Mauer might get near top top top levels before his career is over.

OMNIVOROUS FROG

EOG Master

Bad Frog got me drunk and had his way with me.

<O>

I'll be sore there in the morning. What stupid cow thread can I start? hmmm.

OF...:cheers

Bench, Berra, Fisk, Munson, and Campy all better. Guess he doesn't make my top-5.

cassiusclay

EOG Master

pudge is my favorite player but to answer your question, no, but in the top 20 for sure, maybe top ten.

The Devil

EOG Master

NOT EVEN CLOSE.............MAYBE TOP 15 ALL TIME......

THE HITMAN

EOG Dedicated

No..........and no one can accurately answer these "best of all time" things with any accuracy. Different era's, cripes, there are guys here who can't even spell Dickey & Campanella. Most of these folks only know/vote for players that they have seen in their (limited) lifetime, leaving the results of a poll terribly skewed.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

Pudge at full power is an all time great defensively. He's also one of the better hitting catchers ever. He's in the top 5 you would have to say.