Penn State may be the best team in America

Re: Penn State may be the best team in America

Oregon State is a notoriously slow-starting team. The Beavers also lost to Stanford at home this season before playing the Nittany Lions. Yeah.

And if you're going to argue that the Big 10 is as much of a grind as the SEC or Big 12, you're going on ignore.

Again, I'm not saying Penn State isn't legit. They're just going to get through the entire season without playing a very good team (one could make a case for Ohio State, but that's debatable). Can't say the same about a Big 12 or SEC team. That's my only point.
I've been following this shit for 30 years
not every year is every conference the same
the SEC is weak this year
penn state beats up on the SEC in bowl games
only bama owns penn state
and we start to play again in 2010

I am an Ore St alum and travelled to Happy Valley for the game. I knew going in it would be our toughest game of the year as the Beavs have not played well east of the Mississippi for some time, early in the season. However, i had no idea that there would be so much difference in team speed. I left the stadium thinking that we were going to have a very long and difficult season as our LBs and safeties were completely fooled all day long chasing Royster and the QB. PSUs WRs dominated our CBs (one of which is supposed to be a preseason first team pac10). We looked silly and were thankful that JoePa called off the dogs. A couple of weeks later, i was in the stands for the big upset of USC.
Penn State is a dominating team and, i am now a west coast fan of the Nittany Lions. The fans i met at Beaver Stadium were the nicest i have ever met at an opposing field. I just wish we would have played better. I really dont know if we would do any better if we played today versus five weeks ago. PSU is just a good solid team and i hope they run the table.
I don't get to go to happy valley too often as I am deep south
and when my brother was on the team and in the NFL my parents went to all the games and I held down the family business
but this post brought tears to me as I feel as you do that the penn state fans are very accomodating
if you were in need somewhere be it nebraska or whatever
and you see someone with penn state gear on
you'll get help

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

Queeeeeb I'm not arguing with you. I think PSU and Texas are the two best teams in America.

Wait say that again. PSU is playing Alabama. They're playing a good team in their non-conference schedule.

According to all the experts on these boards Joa Pa never does that. Oh wait but they don't know that Joe Pa didn't want to join a conference for the longest time because he wanted to play the best teams around the entire country and not just one conference. How quickly people forget. It's also not Joe Pa's fault that ND sucked.

Queeeeeb I'm not arguing with you. I think PSU and Texas are the two best teams in America.

Wait say that again. PSU is playing Alabama. They're playing a good team in their non-conference schedule.

According to all the experts on these boards Joa Pa never does that. Oh wait but they don't know that Joe Pa didn't want to join a conference for the longest time because he wanted to play the best teams around the entire country and not just one conference. How quickly people forget. It's also not Joe Pa's fault that ND sucked.
penn state started the whole shift and formulation of the conferences as they are now
when penn state joined the big ten

PSU and texas are clearly the most balanced teams from offense to defense to special teams...

id actually love to see this as the title game! two teams that run similar offenses and stop the run like its their job...would be a great game

penn state would be favored by 5 against bama on a nuetral field
and I'd bet PSU
saban is doing a great job but it's early
bama isn't that sophisticated
those D-line gorillas would be out of gas second half

They probably will not play anyone that Florida or Texas will have played but you're a smart person and I think you'll agree with these points.

1. Winning at Wisconsin and OSU (If they do) is VERY impressive and very tough to do no matter how great those teams are. Wisconsin is 2 minutes away from being undefeated and a top 10 team going into tonight's game.

2. Florida lost to Ole Miss and part of being great is winning against teams you should beat. All you can do is beat the teams that you are scheduled to play. You can't ask anymore than that.

3. It's not like PSU hasn't looked impressive in their wins. No one has even been in a game with them. I don't care what anyone says; PSU would not lose to that Oregon State team if they played them 10 times.

4. PSU is a very complete team. Outside of two big plays in the Illinois game their defense shut down a good Illinois offense. They shut down one of the best running backs in America today and it wasn't even close. They have speed that many Big Ten teams lack.

5. Their offense is explosive, and they don't have a hole offensively. Clarke has controlled the ball and been a much better passer than many thought. His legs give him a dimension that makes it tough to game plan for. Derrick Williams has been better than Percy "the hype" Harvin this year. He has been used as a decoy greatly and has huge punt and kick returns.

6. PSU's defense is better than Texas' defense. No questions asked there. PSU's secondary may be the best in college football.

PSU has a great coaching staff and a great team. They show up for every game and just dominated at a place that's very tough to play. I'd be willing to bet that no one has won there like that in 20+ years.

PS. Wisconsin is not as bad as they looked tonight. PSU is just that good. Wisconsin got lazy against Michigan, who is awful. If they played 10 more times they'd beat them everytime. They very easily could have been OSU last week as well. PSU isn't just better than the teams that they are beating, they're in another class.

I won't go into every point you make, and there is validity to most of them. I'll make a few observations:

- Winning in Columbus would be a good win. Beating Wisconsin tonight didn't mean nearly as much as it would've in other seasons, simply because the Badgers aren't as good a team this year and more importantly, they were mentally done. You knew heading into tonight that if PSU punched 'em in the mouth early, they'd roll over and play dead. And that's exactly what happened. This is a team with a mediocre QB who can't take advantage the weapons surrounding him, and a mediocre defense. 2008 Wisconsin is not the same as Wisconsin of years past. On paper it might look good, but this had blowout written all over it.

- I never said Florida was great, and the Gators should've taken care of business against Ole Miss. They got lackidasical after jumping out to a halftime lead and it bit them in the ass. But that's also the biggest difference between the SEC and Big 10; in the SEC, simply showing up isn't enough to win. Especially in a league that's absolutely loaded with great coaches.

- Penn State has looked like a complete team thus far, and will probably continue to do so throughout the season. They're talented on both sides of the ball and have been impressive in every facet of the game,

Again, I never said Penn State wasn't any good. My point was that it won't be seriously tested outside of Columbus until the National Championship game because the majority of the Big 10 isn't very competitive this season. That's the bottom line. It's not PSU's fault, but that also doesn't mean one can't be critical of it.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

I won't go into every point you make, and there is validity to most of them. I'll make a few observations:

- Winning in Columbus would be a good win. Beating Wisconsin tonight didn't mean nearly as much as it would've in other seasons, simply because the Badgers aren't as good a team this year and more importantly, they were mentally done. You knew heading into tonight that if PSU punched 'em in the mouth early, they'd roll over and play dead. And that's exactly what happened. This is a team with a mediocre QB who can't take advantage the weapons surrounding him, and a mediocre defense. 2008 Wisconsin is not the same as Wisconsin of years past. On paper it might look good, but this had blowout written all over it.

- I never said Florida was great, and the Gators should've taken care of business against Ole Miss. They got lackidasical after jumping out to a halftime lead and it bit them in the ass. But that's also the biggest difference between the SEC and Big 10; in the SEC, simply showing up isn't enough to win. Especially in a league that's absolutely loaded with great coaches.

- Penn State has looked like a complete team thus far, and will probably continue to do so throughout the season. They're talented on both sides of the ball and have been impressive in every facet of the game,

Again, I never said Penn State wasn't any good. My point was that it won't be seriously tested outside of Columbus until the National Championship game because the majority of the Big 10 isn't very competitive this season. That's the bottom line. It's not PSU's fault, but that also doesn't mean one can't be critical of it.

Agree with everything you wrote. Only thing I refute is that I think Wisconsin wanted this game bad. I think they wanted to play the spoiler to PSU. Other than that I agree. I also understand people being critical, I just disagree with it. They aren't just winning these games, they're destroying the opposition. So if their conference and schedule is weak they're playing like it.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

That is one of the funniest things I've ever read.

I don't know if we think this is funny for the same reason or not, but all I can say is; Is there such thing as early when Saban is coaching? Because it might be his end.

excellent post
you know the SEC is basically assemble the fastest black guys I can and put a QB behind them
and on defense
duh
it breaks down for what it is on some years

how in the hell did Tenn take vince young over cutler
the irony being vince young is an SEC qb
and jay cutler the eyesore
my god

my god

Please don't remind me.... live 25 minutes away from Vandy. Was hoping Cutler went to the Titans

Rxx

EOG Veteran

I don't get to go to happy valley too often as I am deep south
and when my brother was on the team and in the NFL my parents went to all the games and I held down the family business
but this post brought tears to me as I feel as you do that the penn state fans are very accomodating
if you were in need somewhere be it nebraska or whatever
and you see someone with penn state gear on
you'll get help

As my brother and i left the stadium that day i told him that if i hadnt gone to pharmacy school in Oregon, Penn State would have been a great place to go to school. The atmosphere was incredible and i really prefer the small college town to school in a big city.
there is a lot of honor to holding down the family business. i hope that things have worked out for you. i hope that one of my nephews or neices might choose my profession and continue my pharmacy.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

excellent post
you know the SEC is basically assemble the fastest black guys I can and put a QB behind them
and on defense
duh
it breaks down for what it is on some years

I think PSU might be the fastest team in America. I remember four years ago when they signed King and Williams, I thought to myself, this is the speed that the Big Ten is missing.

If Justin King wasn't an idiot and didn't leave too soon PSU would have maybe the best secondary in the last twenty years. AJ Wallace is one of the best cover corners in America and no one talks about him. Anthony Scirrrrrrrrrrrr is always around the ball and is one of the best safeties in the country. Their second and third corners are top notch as well (See Lydell's plays tonight).

Their linebackers are REALLY fast, both corners run sub 4.3's and they have 3 receivers running sub 4.4's. Their back up running back is going to be a STUD, but the only problem is their first string running back is already a stud. Royster isn't as fast but he's dynamic.

They have speed at every position and I think the thing that people are missing, and commonly do in football, is that they may have the best O-Line in college football. Shipley might be the best center in football and most of them have been together for at least three years.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

my god

IF VY can get some confidence he'll be better. That's my honest opinion. He's a game changer but he's lost everything. He sucked at Texas early too but then gained confidence and took off. He's actually throwing the ball worse in the NFL than he did in college. What I mean by that is that he has gotten worse as a passer and it's not because it's the NFL. It's because he lost his confidence. He needs to shut up and stop listening to the media. He needs play his game and stop trying to stay in the pocket. That's not who he is. When he didn't care about that he won, look at his first two years in Tenn, but now he's trying to change. He needs to stop changing and be himself. If he can get his confidence back he has a chance. The guy is a winner.

I think PSU might be the fastest team in America. I remember four years ago when they signed King and Williams, I thought to myself, this is the speed that the Big Ten is missing.

If Justin King wasn't an idiot and didn't leave too soon PSU would have maybe the best secondary in the last twenty years. AJ Wallace is one of the best cover corners in America and no one talks about him. Anthony Scirrrrrrrrrrrr is always around the ball and is one of the best safeties in the country. Their second and third corners are top notch as well (See Lydell's plays tonight).

Their linebackers are REALLY fast, both corners run sub 4.3's and they have 3 receivers running sub 4.4's. Their back up running back is going to be a STUD, but the only problem is their first string running back is already a stud. Royster isn't as fast but he's dynamic.

They have speed at every position and I think the thing that people are missing, and commonly do in football, is that they may have the best O-Line in college football. Shipley might be the best center in football and most of them have been together for at least three years.

my top secondary in the past 10 years

aaron ross, cedric griffin, michael huff, michael griffin :thumbsup

little biased though

As my brother and i left the stadium that day i told him that if i hadnt gone to pharmacy school in Oregon, Penn State would have been a great place to go to school. The atmosphere was incredible and i really prefer the small college town to school in a big city.
there is a lot of honor to holding down the family business. i hope that things have worked out for you. i hope that one of my nephews or neices might choose my profession and continue my pharmacy.
I'm a mortician
I can't recommend it
I'm ruined

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

my top secondary in the past 10 years

aaron ross, cedric griffin, michael huff, michael griffin :thumbsup

little biased though

That was a very good one but people knew those guys. It's different in Happy Valley. No one even knows about PSU's secondary; outside of Scirrrrrr. PSU got the number one DB recruit in America back to back years with King and Wallace. Such a shame that King listened to the wrong people and went into the draft. Him and Wallace would have made it IMPOSSIBLE to pass on the Lions.

IF VY can get some confidence he'll be better. That's my honest opinion. He's a game changer but he's lost everything. He sucked at Texas early too but then gained confidence and took off. He's actually throwing the ball worse in the NFL than he did in college. What I mean by that is that he has gotten worse as a passer and it's not because it's the NFL. It's because he lost his confidence. He needs to shut up and stop listening to the media. He needs play his game and stop trying to stay in the pocket. That's not who he is. When he didn't care about that he won, look at his first two years in Tenn, but now he's trying to change. He needs to stop changing and be himself. If he can get his confidence back he has a chance. The guy is a winner.
there's so much of a skill difference between NCAA and NFL I can't unpack this

That was a very good one but people knew those guys. It's different in Happy Valley. No one even knows about PSU's secondary; outside of Scirrrrrr. PSU got the number one DB recruit in America back to back years with King and Wallace. Such a shame that King listened to the wrong people and went into the draft. Him and Wallace would have made it IMPOSSIBLE to pass on the Lions.

yeah king was nasty...too bad PSU doesnt even have the best corner in the big 10...:pop:

[FONT=Verdana, Arial]1. Football Futures - 2009 BCS National Championship
Odds to win
Team to win the 2009 BCS National Championship
Penn State (+2050) [pending]
[/FONT]

I was O line in my life
they are a unit and it's a real obtainable mission now

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

yeah king was nasty...too bad PSU doesnt even have the best corner in the big 10...:pop:

I personally think Wallace is better than Vontae. Vontae hasn't looked that good this year and Wallace has improved greatly. I think AJ Wallace is the best defensive back in the Big Ten. No one even throws his way anymore.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

Haven't seen as much of him this year. Thought he and Vontae were pretty even in the past. Both are going to be first round picks. I guess Jenkins is a little better haha. They don't throw at AJ or Jenkins though.