The NBA is the EASIEST sport to handicap!

Whoagrees

EOG Enthusiast
Re: The NBA is the EASIEST sport to handicap!

Haha....Play Atlanta.

Suns -4.5 was my initial square play.

I'm not gonna be posting my plays in this thread anymore anyway.

I will use NBA forum!

Thanks Capper. I'm sure you can get away with posting plays in the main, they just don't want the squares posting plays here.

OMNIVOROUS FROG

EOG Master

I'll go for the 76ers +6 if we are throwing out preseason plays here.

Best Wishes...OF :pop:

Won outright, by 6. That was a nice money line upset. But +6 was good. Anyone see the Zach shot from beyond half court to lose by 2? I think line was higher anyway, but if not, what a tough beat. I need to start an NBA thread.

Best Wishes...oF :houra

Cigar, fine wine, jacuzzi and a massage.

ShavenCoinpurse

EOG Dedicated

Won outright, by 6. That was a nice money line upset. But +6 was good. Anyone see the Zach shot from beyond half court to lose by 2? I think line was higher anyway, but if not, what a tough beat. I need to start an NBA thread.

I had Knicks plus 7.. They would have covered anyway but it was funny.

OMNIVOROUS FROG

EOG Master

I had Knicks plus 7.. They would have covered anyway but it was funny.

I thought it was around there, and camera actually went off not even showing shot going in, then announcer yells, he made it. NY looks way better with Thomas not on sidelines. If Duhon and Maybury did not have turnover parade they win outright. Best game of early games. Of course I preferred 76ers, but that NY game was a well played game. And down to last possessions.

Best Wishes...OF :pop:

Watching every minute of every game I can.

Whoagrees

EOG Enthusiast

I'm 1-0 following you MC. Maybe we are on to something here. Should I quit now or let it ride tomorrow?
Good thing I made sure what team you actually wanted cause I almost bet the Suns.

royalfan

EOG Dedicated

Please do. Just make sure you let us know ahead of time when the new ones are going to start. Starting and leaving and losing on four seperate threads in a single year is a copout and loses credibility. Can you update those previous thread records also while you are at it so we can see if you are a winner or not? Thanks.

So it basically seems "squares" generally like small favorites between -1 and -6 ish? They probably think of a game coming down to the last few possessions and figuring that the team is favored should win and thus cover, correct?

royalfan

EOG Dedicated

So it basically seems "squares" generally like small favorites between -1 and -6 ish? They probably think of a game coming down to the last few possessions and figuring that the team is favored should win and thus cover, correct?

Sharps or those that try to con people into thinking they are sharps play plays that are steams plays right near or after the line moves, usually after and post their play at the stale line and act as if it were their own. Has worked for some omnivorous fellow for years and then the CU football discussion and the Beasly better than Rose dicussion proved he really don't know shit from apple butter.

MadCapper

Head <in> Moderation

I'm 1-0 following you MC. Maybe we are on to something here. Should I quit now or let it ride tomorrow?
Good thing I made sure what team you actually wanted cause I almost bet the Suns.

Tonights Play in the NBA forum!

brewers7

EOG Enthusiast

Ok. So far we have the beat the inner square theory and the bet on teams you know will tank theory. Any other gems boys?

These won't get you anywhere in the NBA...MadCapper has sort of the right idea for one way to cap the NBA preseason, as I did mention in a thread on a different forum where I have 2 rules for the NBA preseason and what MadCapper says would fall under rule #2:

1) When in doubt, take the underdog of 5 points or more every time (NFL, it's 3.5)...

2) Take the side that, if this was a regular season game, would have "no shot" at covering...Another words, take the side that in your mind, should have no shot at covering based on "reputation"...Or, to put it more simply, take the side that "makes no sense" to take at first blush...

Overall, underdogs are 20-12-1 in the preseason, even with a 4-6 night last night...

And yes, the NBA is the easiest sport to handicap...There are several things to look for, but if I would have to pick one thing to look for and put it at the top of the list, the answer is simple:

You look for the team that has the most motivation to win on any given night...

Teams rarely tank games...Someone wrote that teams tank playoff games...That is laughable...I mean, yes, if a team is down 30 with 6 minutes left, do they give up and put all the subs in?...Of course...That is not "tanking a game"...

NBA is the most situational sport, by far, based on the schedule...And this creates a plethora of situational opportunities to recognize and sometimes, feast on...Some situational trends will conflict with each other during certain match-ups, so you use the stronger trend, or the stronger motivational factor, or pass...

And a big thing that any seasoned handicapper will notice in the NBA is patterns or streaks...They pop up all over the place during the season...And after long ones finish, they generally immediately reverse themselves...

Some trends are very strong one season, and only somewhat strong the next...If a perennially strong trend (like the 4 of 5 trend) starts out slow the first 6 to 8 weeks of the season, be ready for it to get smoking hot for the next 6 to 8 weeks...

There are so many things to look for, I don't have time to list them all, but doing your homework is pretty much always my #1 recommendation...If you are experienced enough, your gut is often all you need on most nights, but I have a database in MS-Excel that I glance at, and I also have paper charts that I update daily, and these daily charts are my Bible...Checking the boxscores daily is important, too, to determine the pace of games for totals (how many shots and FTs were taken) and also to look for extremes in one teams' FG% as those will reverse to the mean or more the next time out...

I have been handicapping the NBA since 1983 (not counting 2 years I took off capping sports in college)...The NBA is my passion...

I have 2 samples from my NBA database, which contains 17 years worth of data going back to 1991-92...

Database_Team_sample

Database_RegSeason_sample

I really haven't even realized all the power of that info yet...I look at the trends as a guide, but there is some stuff there that I will sit down and really delve into one day...But what works for me still are my paper charts and here is a sample of half of the 2006-07 season in paper chart form:

Paper charts sample

I like it in this form because you have an 8-week snap-shot of the NBA season on one piece of paper for sides, and then one for totals...And you see unmistakable patterns develop when you have charts like this...And I have been doing these charts since the 1991-92 season...

Anyway, the NBA is very beatable...Looking at and more importantly, understanding the motivational and situational spots is one of the biggest keys...

And following Omniverous Frog on this forum would be a way not to do any work, I guess, for those too lazy to cap but who do want winners to bet...He is the only one on this forum that I recognize as a capper who wins at the NBA, so GL this season Froggie...

OMNIVOROUS FROG

EOG Master

Thanks for the props Brewers7, I have always been impressed with your dedication, analysis and write ups. I have been doing this since 76, but had 4 years off to serve my country. I have learned something over the years. You are one person I would never even consider challenging in the NBA. Sure hope you are around to share during regular season.

Best Wishes...OF 91023i2ndw;l

OMNIVOROUS FROG

EOG Master

Miami -2 in London.

Could not find my Identity thread so this is where I am. Bear in mind this goes in less than 15 minutes from th etime of this post.

Best Wishes...oF :cheers

OMNIVOROUS FROG

EOG Master

It opened -2 1/2. Got bet down to 2 at Pinny and a few other stores. We got some if not most of the two. But for these limits that ain't too tough. Hoping no Vince and Haslem go. They should have a good feeling on how to stop CDR and let Harris get his. I expect Heat to finally win one after dropping two consecutive OT games. Plus it was not thier turn in Paris vs. same Nets. I think today should have the players on the floor to extend a lead they could not hold last game. I do not like 2 1/2 as much of course, but for betting purposes, I would lay it also.

Best Wishes...OF :cheers

I'd like to see a lot of Beasley, Wade, Marion and Haslem on the floor.

OMNIVOROUS FROG

EOG Master

Total just got hammered down 2 1/2 points. They shot woeful vs. arc last time out. If they both shoot that bad again then it could go under, but I like Heat better.

Pretty big gap between stores, especially us facing. Seeing both 188 1/2 and 186.

MadCapper

Head <in> Moderation

Update!

Fading the SQUARE (myself) is now 5-1 in preseason hoops.

OMNIVOROUS FROG

EOG Master

Update!

Fading the SQUARE (myself) is now 5-1 in preseason hoops.

We are tied, I think, both 5-1. I noticed a slight agenda on these foreign exibition games, as everytime it looked like Heat would extend 4Q lead Nets marched to charity stripe to keep it close. Plus supposedly hammy hurtin Carter plays a ton of minutes, including end of game, preseason. Was hoping he did not go at all. Could have taken Kings plus fat +7 1/2 in Vegas. Went outside my normal preseason strategy and got burned. Either way, I'll take 5-1 all season long. Almost time to start NBA thread in NBA forum.

May we continue our success.

Pre Season is tough to gage. Regular season MUCH MUCH easier. I have been very succesful the past 6 NBA seasons. Personally I can't wait for NBA to start up regularly and I know at least 100 more people who can't wait either.

William Lee

MadCapper

Head <in> Moderation

We are tied, I think, both 5-1. I noticed a slight agenda on these foreign exibition games, as everytime it looked like Heat would extend 4Q lead Nets marched to charity stripe to keep it close. Plus supposedly hammy hurtin Carter plays a ton of minutes, including end of game, preseason. Was hoping he did not go at all. Could have taken Kings plus fat +7 1/2 in Vegas. Went outside my normal preseason strategy and got burned. Either way, I'll take 5-1 all season long. Almost time to start NBA thread in NBA forum.

May we continue our success.

Yes. We are both 5-1 to start.

The difference is...you are winning playing your own plays. While I am winning FADING mine :)

I have already started my season long Fade the SQAURE thread in the NBA forum!

Lets kick ass!

MadCapper

Head <in> Moderation

Pre Season is tough to gage. Regular season MUCH MUCH easier. I have been very succesful the past 6 NBA seasons. Personally I can't wait for NBA to start up regularly and I know at least 100 more people who can't wait either.

William Lee

Amen!!!

MadCapper

Head <in> Moderation

Okay here it is...

Over the last few years I have come to the realization that I am the ultimate square when it comes to betting on the NBA. I just have not been able to consistently beat it. Lines and Games jump out at me on a daily basis, only to end up in losses. NBA linesmakers are real sharp and feed on the squares during the season. Their totals are just about always on the money and their sides are right there too. But you can beat them IF you pick the games as a square and then fade that pick! Its not as simple as it seems because even though many of us are squares we start to overanalyze the play before picking anf then taking the opposite. You must keep your square shoes on. Make your plays on paper. And then look at those paper plays and then out down real money on the opposite side. I know many of you arent squares or cant find the square inside of you, but I am telling you I have NO PROBLEM find the square in me when it comes to the NBA! So during the season and on a select few preseason games I will share the anti square plays! The plays you see you should follow, not fade, because I have already faded them from my paper plays.

Trust me on this.....

It will work!

After tonight...

10-3

I just keep fading myself! It doesnt get any easier than this!

Hop on board the MC fade train!