F*ck college football, big fight tonight

Re: F*ck college football, big fight tonight

I'll just wait for the replay and watch that if it's any good.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

I am not excited for this fight, and it's sad. I was way more excited for Pavlik vs. Hopkins and I thought that was a great fight.

I just don't think Roy Jones has it anymore. If he was still in his prime I'd be really excited, but I think he's done. I guess all the great ones have a great fight left in them though; look at Hopkins vs. Pavlik as an example.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

The heavyweight division did, not boxing as a whole.

What do you think about the fight tonight?

I thought Pavlik was going to beat Hopkins, but the old man had a great fight left in him. I actually thought that may have been one of Hopkins three best fights of his career. He looked so much faster than he had looked. His hands were so quick it wasn't even fair.

I just wish Roy would have had some serious competition in his prime, because he was one of the best fundamental boxers I have ever seen.

rjt721

EOG Master

who wins the fight
Really tough fight to predict. Depends on what Roy has left, and that's virtually impossible to gauge. I tend to think Roy's hand speed will still pose problems for Zags and he'll have plenty of openings to land counters. But Roy's legs are gone and Calzaghe will be moving forward all night. I don't think Roy will respect Zags' power, which could/should allow Roy to take more chances than he's accustomed to. And he'll need to be active to compensate for the number of punches Calzaghe throws.

Played Roy by decision +475 knowing full well Calzage decision is the likely outcome.

Seymour

EOG Dedicated

Jones has not been a good fighter for like over 4 years now - Calzaghe should win by KO

Anyone who saw the Margarito-Cotto fight knows boxing is far from dead. Fuck the heavyweight division; there are great fights regularly in the other divisions.

mofome

Banned

Roy Jones will win this fight.

I got him yesterday at +200. Now he is +180. You should be able to find better odds though.

i read this and put 2 units on it. other people say hes gonna lose though

kidslick

EOG Dedicated

Roy Jones will win this fight.

I got him yesterday at +200. Now he is +180. You should be able to find better odds though.

He too old give me whitie:+excited-

should be an interesting fight

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

I also thought that Hopkins was washed up but he seemed to dedicated to being great in that fight. If RJJ is that same mentality, he could pull the upset.

The Pavlik vs Hopkins fight was one of the best I've ever seen, and that alone proved to me that boxing wasn't dead.

rjt721

EOG Master

Jones has not been a good fighter for like over 4 years now - Calzaghe should win by KO
I don't see a KO. I guess a late-round accumulation stoppage is possible, but even that's unlikely IMO. Calzaghe's not a big puncher, but more of a slapper who throws from all angles. I actually think if there's a stoppage, it could well be Roy catching Zags flush with a counter left hook. But I'd be surprised either way if this fight doesn't go the distance.

boxing last place outta ufc/wrestling/boxing pay per view sales.

Boxing bye bye :)

trytrytry

All I do is trytrytry

UFC big in Red states... Boxing big in blue states

rjt721

EOG Master

The majority of boxing isn't even on PPV. But if you want to talk PPV sales, De La Hoya/Mayweather last year had well over 2 million buys. Pretty sure UFC's never approached that number. And last I checked EliteXC was doing well.

Funny how every boxing thread turns into a boxing v. MMA debate. They're completely different sports.

The majority of boxing isn't even on PPV. But if you want to talk PPV sales, De La Hoya/Mayweather last year had well over 2 million buys. Pretty sure UFC's never approached that number. And last I checked EliteXC was doing well.

Funny how every boxing thread turns into a boxing v. MMA debate. They're completely different sports.

That's the only fight u can say that about. What else did people actually watch from boxing?

Lesnar and Coulture will be interesting on ppv sales :)

rjt721

EOG Master

That's the only fight u can say that about. What else did people actually watch from boxing?

Lesnar and Coulture will be interesting on ppv sales :)
DLH/Pac next month will also put up huge PPV numbers. And tonight's fight, even with a terrible undercard, should put up respectable PPV numbers.

Personally, I think UFC sucks. But it seems like the UFC fans are so concerned with what boxing's doing. Boxing people don't care.

Nope, UFC people happy UFC > Boxing already when boxing is sooooo much older :)

Really? How do you know that when UFC doesn't even release PPV numbers. ODLH-Paacquiao in December will do more PPV buys than ANY Ufc ever has.

Really? How do you know that when UFC doesn't even release PPV numbers. ODLH-Paacquiao in December will do more PPV buys than ANY Ufc ever has.
Saw some stats on a website comparing the three....

TOP N. AMERICAN BUY RATES, 2007*
• 1. Boxing: Oscar De La Hoya vs. Floyd Mayweather, May 5: 2,400,000
• 2. Boxing: Mayweather vs. Ricky Hatton, Dec. 8: 850,000
• 3. WWE: Wrestlemania, April 1: 760,000
• 4. UFC: Chuck Liddell vs. Quinton Jackson, May 26: 675,000
• 5. UFC: Tim Sylvia vs. Randy Couture, March 3: 540,000
• 6. UFC: Couture vs. Gabriel Gonzaga, Aug. 24: 520,000
• 7. UFC: Liddell vs. Keith Jardine, Sept. 22: 475,000
• 8. UFC: Tito Ortiz vs. Rashad Evans, July 7: 425,000
• 9. UFC: Anderson Silva vs. Travis Lutter, Feb. 2: 400,000
• 10. UFC: Georges St. Pierre vs. Matt Serra, April 7: 400,000
• 11. Boxing: Manny Pacquiao vs. Marco Antonio Barrera, Oct. 6: 350,000
• 12. WWE: SummerSlam, Aug. 26: 344,000
• 13. Boxing: Miguel Cotto vs. Shane Mosley, Nov. 10: 340,000
• 14. UFC: Anderson Silva vs. Rich Franklin, Oct. 20: 325,000
• 15. WWE: Royal Rumble, Jan. 28: 314,000
*Numbers not yet available for UFC 78 and 79, which are expected to crack the top 15. Source: Wrestling Observer.
http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slu...yhoo&type=lgns

UFC 8 Boxing 4

rjt721

EOG Master

TOP N. AMERICAN BUY RATES, 2007*
? 1. Boxing: Oscar De La Hoya vs. Floyd Mayweather, May 5: 2,400,000
? 2. Boxing: Mayweather vs. Ricky Hatton, Dec. 8: 850,000
? 3. WWE: Wrestlemania, April 1: 760,000
? 4. UFC: Chuck Liddell vs. Quinton Jackson, May 26: 675,000
? 5. UFC: Tim Sylvia vs. Randy Couture, March 3: 540,000
? 6. UFC: Couture vs. Gabriel Gonzaga, Aug. 24: 520,000
? 7. UFC: Liddell vs. Keith Jardine, Sept. 22: 475,000
? 8. UFC: Tito Ortiz vs. Rashad Evans, July 7: 425,000
? 9. UFC: Anderson Silva vs. Travis Lutter, Feb. 2: 400,000
? 10. UFC: Georges St. Pierre vs. Matt Serra, April 7: 400,000
? 11. Boxing: Manny Pacquiao vs. Marco Antonio Barrera, Oct. 6: 350,000
? 12. WWE: SummerSlam, Aug. 26: 344,000
? 13. Boxing: Miguel Cotto vs. Shane Mosley, Nov. 10: 340,000
? 14. UFC: Anderson Silva vs. Rich Franklin, Oct. 20: 325,000
? 15. WWE: Royal Rumble, Jan. 28: 314,000
*Numbers not yet available for UFC 78 and 79, which are expected to crack the top 15. Source: Wrestling Observer.
http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slu...yhoo&type=lgns

UFC 8 Boxing 4
Add up the total number of PPV buys from that list and boxing still comes out on top. So how exactly is boxing dead?

That list would have validity only if you also posted the amount of boxing and UFC fights that were even offered on PPV. So please post that. Thank you.

Add up the total number of PPV buys from that list and boxing still comes out on top. So how exactly is boxing dead?

Easy, a couple of aging fighters people pay to see. Just like with Roy Jones 2night. There aren't any young fighters people wanna see. The hbo fights aren't highly rated. Boxing on espn isn't watched either. Without any interest in their "regular" fights how are they gonna continue on when the old heads die off???

That list would have validity only if you also posted the amount of boxing and UFC fights that were even offered on PPV. So please post that. Thank you.

I doubt there's much boxing offered on pay per view. And it's obvious as to why. UFC is on pay per view several times a month since they carry events people actually pay for?