Can Anyone Answer This Religious Question?

Ok, so yesterday I owe the rent and because it's a holiday iv'e only got a grand instead of $1400, totally my fault, I should have got the money out on Saturday, but it's not a problem, the money's there.

So I go round to see the owner and hiswife (who are religious nuts) and they invite me in, at which point I explain I've only got a grand but can make the rest up with a check or they can wait until today for the extra $400 cash. This is the good bit:

The owners wife looked me squarely in the eye and says: 'We're blessed and that blessing has come from God and I want to pass that blessing onto you by saying forget the rest of the rent this month, we'll accept what you've given us and as long as you're willing to thank god for this gift we'll call iteven.'

I couldn't beleive it. I'm an atheist, I've no interest in any sort of religion and don't beleive a word of it, but I certainly respect a persons right to beleive in it if that's what makes them happy, so there I am, mouth wide open thinking: 'Wtf is this all about.'

But she was serious. She told me to go home and when I had a quiet moment to reflect on the gift of God....which I did, and then realised I was wasting my time because I don't beleive he's there, so what would be the point of thanking bthe gift of something you don't beleive in?

Anyway, that's the story, my question is this: Is religion so powerful it can persuede someone to give somebody else a $400 bribe just to try to get them to think about religion or was my $400 exactly what she said it was....a gift from the Lord? I think my point is I feel bad for not actually entertaining the thought that God can actually exist...which was the reason she gave me the money anyway, to do just that.

Signed

Confused, Los Angeles.

ZZ CREAM

EOG Master
Re: Can Anyone Answer This Religious Question?

You can be grateful to the landlords and appreciate all of the things that make you happy in life. If you believe in any higher power, certainly you can be thankful about it. If not, enjoy your good fortune and try to make the world a better place just for the sake of its own rewards.

Bet it all on Michigan and see if it really was meant to be91023i2ndw;l

Ace

EOG Veteran

Ok, so yesterday I owe the rent and because it's a holiday iv'e only got a grand instead of $1400, totally my fault, I should have got the money out on Saturday, but it's not a problem, the money's there.

So I go round to see the owner and hiswife (who are religious nuts) and they invite me in, at which point I explain I've only got a grand but can make the rest up with a check or they can wait until today for the extra $400 cash. This is the good bit:

The owners wife looked me squarely in the eye and says: 'We're blessed and that blessing has come from God and I want to pass that blessing onto you by saying forget the rest of the rent this month, we'll accept what you've given us and as long as you're willing to thank god for this gift we'll call iteven.'

I couldn't beleive it. I'm an atheist, I've no interest in any sort of religion and don't beleive a word of it, but I certainly respect a persons right to beleive in it if that's what makes them happy, so there I am, mouth wide open thinking: 'Wtf is this all about.'

But she was serious. She told me to go home and when I had a quiet moment to reflect on the gift of God....which I did, and then realised I was wasting my time because I don't beleive he's there, so what would be the point of thanking bthe gift of something you don't beleive in?

Anyway, that's the story, my question is this: Is religion so powerful it can persuede someone to give somebody else a $400 bribe just to try to get them to think about religion or was my $400 exactly what she said it was....a gift from the Lord? I think my point is I feel bad for not actually entertaining the thought that God can actually exist...which was the reason she gave me the money anyway, to do just that.

Signed

Confused, Los Angeles.
you came to a gambling forum---so you must gamble---if thats the case then you better cover your action and start believing in god---just in case you're wrong

"my question is this: Is religion so powerful it can persuede someone to give somebody else a $400 bribe just to try to get them to think about religion or was my $400 exactly what she said it was....a gift from the Lord?"

They just wanted to do something nice while trying to get you on board with what they believe will save your soul and all that jazz.

The Bible does say that disciples are supposed to "Shine their light" and that "all glory goes to the Father." I would guess they were simply trying to follow these principles set forth in the Book they believe in. 12io4j2w90

ZZ CREAM

EOG Master

you came to a gambling forum---so you must gamble---if thats the case then you better cover your action and start believing in god---just in case you're wrong
LOL! That's a good point. How can anybody make themselves believe in something they really can't believe in? Like, once you realize that there are so many inaccuracies and tall tales in the Bilble , how can a person make themselves overlook them and 'believe'?

I've been on gambling forums in one guise or another for the last ten-years, but I get your point.

She probably felt pity for your situation, and went about it this way to not make you feel embarrassed for accepting their charity. If you've always paid the rent on time, it's obvious you are having some difficulties. I do not think it was a bribe to make you believe in God.

I had a similar situation at the Meadowlands. I was there to see my beloved Lions play the Jets a couple of years ago. My battery died tailgating. I got some one to jump start my car, I tried to hand the guy some cash, and he refused as long as I was a Jets fan. My coat was hiding my Lions jersey. I put the cash back in my pocket and said "J-E-T-S, Jets Jets Jets!"

ZZ CREAM

EOG Master

She probably felt pity for your situation, and went about it this way to not make you feel embarrassed for accepting their charity. If you've always paid the rent on time, it's obvious you are having some difficulties. I do not think it was a bribe to make you believe in God.

I had a similar situation at the Meadowlands. I was there to see my beloved Lions play the Jets a couple of years ago. My battery died tailgating. I got some one to jump start my car, I tried to hand the guy some cash, and he refused as long as I was a Jets fan. My coat was hiding my Lions jersey. I put the cash back in my pocket and said "J-E-T-S, Jets Jets Jets!"
Wow! Which are bigger losers.................Jets' Fans ................ or .................Lions' Fans???????????????:cheers:cheers:cheers:cheers

Mysterious ways, that is how it works. One thing is for sure, the point was to get you to think about the purpose of the action and rethink your views of your beliefs. I would say it pretty much worked!

save the 4 hundo...and if they are ever in a bind you return the favor...feel good about yourself when you go to sleep!

Mysterious ways, that is how it works. One thing is for sure, the point was to get you to think about the purpose of the action and rethink your views of your beliefs. I would say it pretty much worked!

Perceptive points and probably the correct answer. It's certainly made me think about trying to help someone who might need help if ever i'm in a position to do so, so it was 400 well spent and whether i'm atheist or not, fits perfectly with their christian beleifs, so everyone wins.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

This is what you do. Show up next time and give her 8 hundred and say "god told me to bet the 1 horse in the first race at hollywood Park, so i did and doubled your 400. Here's 800, a gift from our lord jesus christ!"

This is what you do. Show up next time and give her 8 hundred and say "god told me to bet the 1 horse in the first race at hollywood Park, so i did and doubled your 400. Here's 800, a gift from our lord jesus christ!"

Now that's good!

I would have paid them there $400 when i got it. If i didn't believe in religion that is. Since sitting there and praying just to get outta the $400 would make me feel like a fraud.

That's just me tho. Some people wouldn't even pray and would just lie to the ladies face and tell her sure i'll pray

I would have paid them there $400 when i got it. If i didn't believe in religion that is. Since sitting there and praying just to get outta the $400 would make me feel like a fraud.

That's just me tho. Some people wouldn't even pray and would just lie to the ladies face and tell her sure i'll pray

You're missing the point, I have the 400, I have 4000.....they did it because THEY decided they wanted to spread Gods message, I was no more than the lucky recipient.

You're missing the point, I have the 400, I have 4000.....they did it because THEY decided they wanted to spread Gods message, I was no more than the lucky recipient.
no, i knew exactly was the "point" was. If u didn't need the money u would have said nice gesture and no thanks, i'll pass.

no, i knew exactly was the "point" was. If u didn't need the money u would have said nice gesture and no thanks, i'll pass.

Which of course I did but from their point of view, that wouldn't have fitted in with Gods message. You can only say: 'You really don't have to' so many times before you think: 'fuck it, if you want to give me 400 I accept!'

The 800-lb gorilla in the room question is "If you can't make your rent, why are you on a gambling forum?"

Which of course I did but from their point of view, that wouldn't have fitted in with Gods message. You can only say: 'You really don't have to' so many times before you think: 'fuck it, if you want to give me 400 I accept!'
lmao, well that's tru. If u said no thanks and they insisted. Then i'd be in for parlays,teases, and wins :cheers

The 800-lb gorilla in the room question is "If you can't make your rent, why are you on a gambling forum?"

Same reason you didn't read the entire thread i would imagine.

It was never about not having the rent, I could have written a check for the whole amount but for whatever reason, the terms of the lease state cash or money order so I assumed a grand would be enough until today at which point I would pay the rest when the bank opened, all I had wasthe limit of my ATM. That was when they stepped in with their 'gift from god.'

But just for fun....is someones ability to pay their rent a pre-requisite for being able to post here?

TomBrady#1

EOG Dedicated

It is powerful. Evander Holyfield was heavyweight champ and deeply religious. He totally believed he had God in the ring with him and fought like it. He had the heart of a lion and it was because of that....whether it is true or not is not the point. It worked for him. He thought it was him and God against the opponent. It fueled him.

It is powerful. Evander Holyfield was heavyweight champ and deeply religious. He totally believed he had God in the ring with him and fought like it. He had the heart of a lion and it was because of that....whether it is true or not is not the point. It worked for him. He thought it was him and God against the opponent. It fueled him.

Great point, Tony Dungy claims whatever happens in his life is the wish of God and is guided by God. As you say, whether it's true or not...

TomBrady#1

EOG Dedicated

Great point, Tony Dungy claims whatever happens in his life is the wish of God and is guided by God. As you say, whether it's true or not...

RIght. When Dungy's son died last year or the year before, he handled and spoke about it very bravely for that reason.

Whether you beleive it or not it's an interesting subject and as has already been pointed out, the very fact we're having this debate would be justification in the minds of the people who made the gift.

TomBrady#1

EOG Dedicated

Whether you beleive it or not it's an interesting subject and as has already been pointed out, the very fact we're having this debate would be justification in the minds of the people who made the gift.

Very interesting Mike. People get very worked up about it too. You just have to give people a little room and respect.

Might be the greatest non-sequitur post ever. From a poster's inability to pay rent to the death of Tony Dungy's son.

All together now. You can't make it up.

Very interesting Mike. People get very worked up about it too. You just have to give people a little room and respect.

Very true. I'm as Atheist as an Atheist can be but I do find the basic premise of the gesture, and the insistance of me finding a quiet time to thank God directly fascinating.

Might be the greatest non-sequitur post ever. From a poster's inability to pay rent to the death of Tony Dungy's son.

All together now. You can't make it up.

I think the fact you've now been told twice this thread has nothing to do with someones ability to pay rent says more about your reading skills and basic concentration levels than it does Tony Dungys relationship with God.

I don't think I ever seen a site where posters are more ready to declare their athiesm. Why do they know more about the universe than the rest of us?

At least go with agnostic.

pioneer

EOG Dedicated

not exactly, mike...God doesn't "wish" for our sons to be killed and/or our daughters raped or any of the other equally bad stuff that happens in this world. God "wishes" (wills) for all of us to be perfectly happy and to never sin against one another, but He gave us free will and we sometimes, as a matter of fact, we oftentimes choose to do what's wrong and hurt each other.

What Tony Dungy, and other Christians claim is that God is always with us and He can make good things happen out of bad things. That's why we pray..."Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done...".

You claim to be an atheist, mike...many Christians and/or other religious people were once atheists also; they looked at the evidence and found a reason to believe in God, or God found them. Keep searching for the truth, mike, and may God find you!