How good is Matt Cassel?

Re: How good is Matt Cassel?

Backup quarterback in a great system surrounded by a lot of talent. I don't see him being a productive starter unless he is behind an excellent offensive line.

texansfan

EOG Master

I don't think he's all that really.

Has the guy, before this season, even really played since high school? He's been a bench warmer in college and in the NFL until this year. It looks like he's not allowed to really do much of anything when he's playing either.

Has the guy, before this season, even really played since high school? He's been a bench warmer in college and in the NFL until this year. It looks like he's not allowed to really do much of anything when he's playing either.

Yeah he was highly recruited but didn't really play at USC, then the Patriots liked what they saw of him in HS. The guy has a good arm but it's hard to gauge where he's at as a pro. Bellicheck doesn't seem to trust him much just yet.

WVU

EOG Master

how do you sit the bench in college and then make a pro team?

:+clueless

is the guy that athletic?

how do you sit the bench in college and then make a pro team?

:+clueless

is the guy that athletic?

He looked great in HS but got caught behind some other great QBs at USC. He could have started for almost any other college football team but chose to ride the pine.

And another thing to think about... his career was probably elongated quite a bit by not playing college ball. He learned from some of the best coaches in the college game and was fresh and had great high school tapes.

That's why the Pats took a chance on him.

WVU

EOG Master

If I owned a pro team I would not take a chance on some high school stud QB who has not taken 100 snaps in college. that is like expecting him to make the leap from High School to the pros. basketball is a different story

5 star bomb

EOG Master

he was stuck behind some very good college qbs... the pats werent the only teams interested in Cassel at the draft.

texansfan

EOG Master

QB position is difficult. There are and were plenty of excellent QB's taken in the later rounds and many busts taken in the top 10 or first round.

QB position is difficult. There are and were plenty of excellent QB's taken in the later rounds and many busts taken in the top 10 or first round.

That's what I loved so much about the Bills taking Trent Edwards 2 years ago. It's hard to tell how good a QB is when he is on a team that is loaded at every offensive position but if the QB is playing well on a terrible team (ala Edwards at Stanford) then it's much easier to tell you might have a good one.

5 star bomb

EOG Master

kinda surprised at what you guys think of him so far to be honest.... from what ive seen he looks pretty damn good. Dont take this too far as I dont think hes even close to Romo yet BUT.... his style of play reminds me of him SOOOO much its ridiculous. I really think Cassel could do some good things in this league if given the chance....

MIKEH75

EOG Dedicated

we will see just how good he is once the playoffs start.i think the ultimate test somewhere very deep in the playoffs will be either the steelers or titans at home against the patriots.cassell will have to get that deep playoff road win before he is taken more seriously.

mofome

Banned

well you obviously havent seen him play yet then... hes actually not that bad. Very athletic and makes plays with his feet.

ive seen him play plenty. he sucks. i get things more quickly that you do. one day you'll figure that out.

mofome

Banned

he has thrown the ball 40 times 3-4 yards and let people run. i could do that. when hes been asked to hit someone down the field hes been terrible. he stinks. he gets a ton of time and throws short all day. thats fine.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

Jets absolutely suck. New England has a million injuries and they are just making NJY look like a college team.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

Even the announcers basically say this....

Mo, you're right whoever thinks he is a complete QB is a moron. He throws short shitty passes the whole fucking game. Guy is a buster.

He is SHANE MATHEWS.

MIKEH75

EOG Dedicated

in spite of it all i expected the patriots to be a lot worse when they lost brady in the first game of the season.they haven't been to bad all things considered and i certainly didn't expect them to be 6-3.i thought they were done but they proved otherwise.

5 star bomb

EOG Master

Even the announcers basically say this....

Mo, you're right whoever thinks he is a complete QB is a moron. He throws short shitty passes the whole fucking game. Guy is a buster.

He is SHANE MATHEWS.

first time starting in a long time and has been doing a fine job for the most part... th you are 1 strange dude

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

Yeah, I didn't lie. I can throw a football 35-40 yards. Good for you. I bet you can throw a football 50 yards. You're the man.

I could have gotten through my freshman year of college with out failing out when I was 8 years old too.

mofome

Banned

matt almost threw a pick on the clutch drive. dude is terrible. he limits them so much. got to be frustrating.

5 star bomb

EOG Master

Yeah, I didn't lie. I can throw a football 35-40 yards. Good for you. I bet you can throw a football 50 yards. You're the man.

I could have gotten through my freshman year of college with out failing out when I was 8 years old too.

I partied way too hard, skipped too many classes and never studied :finger004