C Mich/Ball State INFO THREAD

CMU, Ball State fight for MAC West Division title

Wednesday, November 19, 2008 By Jeff Chaney
The Grand Rapids Press

MOUNT PLEASANT -- Butch Jones and Brady Hoke would like nothing more than to play on a short field tonight -- and stop the other guy from doing that.

Jones, football coach at Central Michigan, and Hoke, his counterpart at Ball State, agreed that the winner of the field position and turnover battles in the Mid-American Conference showdown at CMU's Kelly/Shorts Stadium should be in good shape.

Hoke's 14th-ranked and undefeated Cardinals face the two-time defending conference champion Chippewas at 7 p.m. with the MAC West Division title hanging in the balance.

Both teams are 6-0 in the division. Central already has defeated Western Michigan, the division's other heavyweight, 38-28. Ball State hosts WMU next Tuesday.

"First and foremost, we have to not turn the ball over on offense," Jones said. "Field position will also be key. We cannot give their offense a short field, and we need to avoid three-and-outs."

Hoke agreed that field position would be a premium, saying, "We have our work cut out for us."

Ball State leads the MAC in scoring (37.6 points per game) and in total offense (461 yards per game). CMU averages 28.7 points and 410.4 yards.
Ball State is led by Nate Davis, who has thrown for 2,647 yards, 20 touchdowns and six interceptions. On the ground, MiQuale Lewis leads with 127.3 yards per game.

The defense leads the league by giving up just 15.4 points per game.
"They have been multi-dimensional, and when they do that, they are very difficult to stop," Jones said. "Everybody understands the ramifications of this week's game."

http://www.mlive.com/sports/grpress/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/122710171720860.xml&coll=6

Re: C Mich/Ball State INFO THREAD

FOOTBALL: Cards, Chippewas could play game in snow

The No. 17 Ball State University football team could face something tonight it has not dealt with all season: snow.

There is a 30 percent chance of snow fall, according to noaa.gov, when Ball State and Central Michigan University begin their game at 7 p.m. in Mount Pleasant, Mich.

In addition to the possibility of snow, temperatures will be in the low 30s and wind gusts could be as high as 23 mph, according to the Web site.

This is the second consecutive week Central Michigan could play a game in inclement weather. The Chippewas played in foggy and rainy conditions during an overtime road win against Northern Illinois University last week.

http://media.www.bsudailynews.com/m...ippewas.Could.Play.Game.In.Snow-3551960.shtml

running the ball and stopping the run:

<table class="data" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="1"><tbody><tr><td class="datahl2">Off</td> <td class="datahl2">Avg</td> <td class="datahl2">Yards</td> <td class="datahl2">Pass</td> <td class="datahl2">Rush</td> <td class="datahl2">Y/R</td> <td class="datahl2">Y/A</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="datahl2"> BALST
CMICH</td> <td class="datacell"> 37.6
28.7</td> <td class="datacell"> 461.0
410.4</td> <td class="datacell"> 266.8
279.1</td> <td class="datacell"> 194.2
</td> <td class="datacell"> 5.3
</td> <td class="datacell"> 9.5
</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="datahl2">Def</td> <td class="datahl2">Avg</td> <td class="datahl2">Yards</td> <td class="datahl2">Pass</td> <td class="datahl2">Rush</td> <td class="datahl2">Y/R</td> <td class="datahl2">Y/A</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="datahl2"> BALST
CMICH</td> <td class="datacell"> 15.4
28.2</td> <td class="datacell"> 341.3
406.8</td> <td class="datacell"> 192.3
273.7</td> <td class="datacell"> 149.0
</td> <td class="datacell"> 4.4
</td> <td class="datacell"> 6.0
8.1</td></tr></tbody></table>

nate davis doesnt play particularly great on the road.. add in the factor that he hasnt faced anyone ass good as CMU and the weather is not going to be favorable to the passing game... CMU +7

:cheers

smoke1399

EOG Senior Member

I've been getting my ass kicked in football lately, but still, i don't understand why everyone is so high on cmu here.....

revenge factor for ball state..

"What they did to us last year in our stadium - everybody's got that in the back of their heads," running back MiQuale Lewis said."

"It was embarrassing the way they came out and dominated us," <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place><st1:placeName>Ball</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType>State</st1:placeType></st1:place> center Dan Gerberry told reporters. "This week is big for us, and me personally. ... They've beaten the crap out of us the last four years I've been here.?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
The Chippewas are 1-8 all-time versus Top 25 teams.

Five of CMU's 10 games this season have been decided by three points or less, with the Chippewas going 5-<st1:metricconverter ProductID="0 in">0 in</st1:metricconverter> those games.

<o:p>While <st1:place><st1:placeName>Ball</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType>State</st1:placeType></st1:place> (10-0 for the first time) has outscored its opponents by an average of 22.2 points per game, CMU has outscored its opponents by 0.5 points per game (that is a bit distorted by a 56-17 loss at <st1:country-region><st1:place>Georgia</st1:place></st1:country-region>). <o:p></o:p>
<st1:place><st1:placeName>Ball</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType>State</st1:placeType></st1:place>'s closest game was a 12-point win against Navy, while seven of CMU?s eight wins are by 10 points or less.<o:p></o:p>
Both teams are 3-0 against common opponents. <st1:place>Central Michigan</st1:place> beat <st1:City><st1:place>Toledo</st1:place></st1:City> 24-23, <st1:place>Northern Illinois</st1:place> 33-<st1:metricconverter ProductID="30 in">30 in</st1:metricconverter> overtime and <st1:State><st1:place>Indiana</st1:place></st1:State> 37-34. <st1:place><st1:placeName>Ball</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType>State</st1:placeType></st1:place> beat <st1:City><st1:place>Toledo</st1:place></st1:City> 31-0, <st1:place>Northern Illinois</st1:place> 45-14 and <st1:State><st1:place>Indiana</st1:place></st1:State> 42-20.<o:p></o:p>
<st1:place><st1:placeName>Ball</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType>State</st1:placeType></st1:place>?s defense has allowed 20 points or fewer in seven straight games and eight times this season. CMU?s defense, meanwhile, leads the MAC in sacks with 27 but is only 99<SUP>th</SUP> in the country in total defense.<o:p></o:p>
BSU leads the MAC in scoring offense (37.6 ppg), scoring defense (15.4 ppg), total offense (461.0 ypg), pass efficiency (168.5), pass efficiency defense (106.2) and third-down conversions (51.9 pct.). The Cardinals are the least-penalized team and least-sacked team in the conference.

aside from all this info I pasted from different articles, I bet against ball state once this year and learned my lesson quickly....its not pleasant to bet against nate davis
<SCRIPT language=javascript><!-- function ServerResponseHandler(result, context) { var arrItem = result.split("~"); var InsertPoint; document.getElementById("btnPost").href = 'javascript:AddComment();'; if (arrItem[0] == "error") { InsertPoint = document.getElementById("cErrorMessage"); InsertPoint.innerHTML = arrItem[1]; } else { InsertPoint = document.getElementById("cErrorMessage"); InsertPoint.innerHTML = ""; InsertPoint = document.getElementById("AllCommentHolder"); InsertPoint.innerHTML = arrItem[0]; if (document.getElementById("acComment_tbComment")) { document.getElementById("acComment_tbComment").value = ''; } var cNumber = document.getElementById("article_comment_number"); if (cNumber){ if (arrItem[1] == "1") {cNumber.innerHTML = arrItem[1] + " comment"; } else { cNumber.innerHTML = arrItem[1] + " comments"; } } return; } } function ValidateMaxLength(objToCheck,MaxLength){ var strCheckMe = new String() strCheckMe = objToCheck.value if (strCheckMe.length > MaxLength) { objToCheck.value = strCheckMe.substring(0,MaxLength) var varMessage = "This field is limited to " + MaxLength + " characters." //alert(varMessage); } } // --></SCRIPT><!-- start new comment area--></o:p>

smoke1399

EOG Senior Member

good luck to you, but i'm still surprised cmu is getting all the love they are in this spot

nate davis doesnt play particularly great on the road.. add in the factor that he hasnt faced anyone ass good as CMU and the weather is not going to be favorable to the passing game... CMU +7

:cheers

Nate Davis doesnt have to play against the CMU offense, its the CMU defense that gives up over 400 ypg he has to play against. Its LaFevour who has to watch out for the Ball State D that only gives up 15 a game. IMO. Plus, CMU is more of a passing attack w/ a 70/30 pass/run while Ball State is more even at 60/40 pass/run w/ almost 200 ypg on the ground.

BoL to ALL

tool21

EOG Dedicated

I'm staying away from this game. Ball St. has the much better stats but has played poor opponents. Only 3 teams who are within the top 100 in the FBS: N. Illinois, Akron, Navy.

C. Michigan has played 6 teams in the top 100: Georgia, Purdue, Buffalo, Temple, W. Michigan, N. Illinois.

This is one common misconception with stat betters. They only look at stats. If you do, you're all over Ball St. But the stats don't always tell the truth. On average C. Michigan has played teams ranked 40 positions better than Ball St has played.

oakparkguy

EOG Dedicated

I'm staying away from this game. Ball St. has the much better stats but has played poor opponents. Only 3 teams who are within the top 100 in the FBS: N. Illinois, Akron, Navy.

C. Michigan has played 6 teams in the top 100: Georgia, Purdue, Buffalo, Temple, W. Michigan, N. Illinois.

This is one common misconception with stat betters. They only look at stats. If you do, you're all over Ball St. But the stats don't always tell the truth. On average C. Michigan has played teams ranked 40 positions better than Ball St has played.

I am on Ball St due to these "stats":

Ball St beat NIU 45-14, Indiana 42-20 and Toledo 31-0.

CM beat Niu 33-30, Indiana 37-34 and Toledo 24-23.

That is very true, and every capper should def factor in common opponents and s.o.s., but the really good team they played (geo) blew them out of the water, and purdue and indiana are only 'ok' at best teams. I believe the wins over buff and w.mich give them better cred than the big10 teams. Just IMO.

BoL to ALL

p.s. Thanks for the help Tool

91023i2ndw;l

looking like it's gonna go down to the 4th qtr

2 good, solid teams

oakparkguy

EOG Dedicated

Ball for 4 units -3 1/2 for second half. Been a second half team all year.

Over 17 also looks inviting, putting 2 units on it.