Ramirez to the Cards?

Doc Mercer

EOG Master
Story online this AM that Pujols is involved to try and get the Cards to sign
Manny ...

Holy shit .... Ramirez and Pujols back to back?

Now that would be fun to see what combined numbers the fellas would
put up ...

Journeyman

EOG Master
Re: Ramirez to the Cards?

That sure would be fun to watch.

The two best righties over the past 20 years outside of A Rod.

Doc Mercer

EOG Master

It would be like Ruth and Gehrig .....

Pujols has never really had a stud in front or back of him that I can recall

Maybe Edmonds but Jimmy is no Manny

Journeyman

EOG Master

It would be like Ruth and Gehrig .....

Pujols has never really had a stud in front or back of him that I can recall

Maybe Edmonds but Jimmy is no Manny

No question, that would be as close to a modern day Ruth-Gehrig as you can get.

Cardinals aren't gonna spend that kind of money

Looking like Manny is gonna end up in San Francisco if he doesn't resign with the Dodgers

I'm one of the last seven Marlin fans left and I immediately thought of Hanley with the title of the thread. Scared the shit out of me for a second.
:doh1

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090129&content_id=3784024&vkey=hotstove2008&fext=.jsp

Albert Pujols would like to see Manny Ramirez in a Cardinals uniform in 2009, but if St. Louis general manager John Mozeliak has anything to say about it -- and, as a general rule, GMs do have most of the say in such decisions -- the proposal is going nowhere.

"The answer is no," Mozeliak said, when asked by the Los Angeles Times if the Cardinals had interest in signing Ramirez.

The Ramirez-to-St.-Louis speculation began on Thursday, when Pujols, speaking at a news conference in the Dominican Republic, told reporters he'd like his team to sign the free-agent slugger.

Doc Mercer

EOG Master

Cards are desperate right now

Pujols is the horse ..... I say if Mr Ed barks loud enough this might become a
reality

McGuire loved STL and so would Manny

d ray

EOG Dedicated

no chance he ends up in StL. Giants or Dodgers, good job by his agent to try to make it look like another team is interested. Fact IS, the Cards have zero interest to adding an aging OF.

TonyMar

EOG Dedicated

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090129&content_id=3784024&vkey=hotstove2008&fext=.jsp

Albert Pujols would like to see Manny Ramirez in a Cardinals uniform in 2009, but if St. Louis general manager John Mozeliak has anything to say about it -- and, as a general rule, GMs do have most of the say in such decisions -- the proposal is going nowhere.

"The answer is no," Mozeliak said, when asked by the Los Angeles Times if the Cardinals had interest in signing Ramirez.

The Ramirez-to-St.-Louis speculation began on Thursday, when Pujols, speaking at a news conference in the Dominican Republic, told reporters he'd like his team to sign the free-agent slugger.

and that means that dewitt told mo... "put an end to that ramirez talk"...

i am really amazed at how bill dewitt has refused to add payroll...and all of the excuses are hillarious...

one recent one...that i am referring to...is that busch III is the reason they cannot be more aggressive...because he had to privately finance the new stadium...and very few mlb clubs are under the same financial constraints...

what happened to all of that talk before it was built?

the cardinals needed a new stadium...in order to continue to grow the payroll...and stay at the top of the central?:LMAOnow that new stadium is the problem?:LMAO

TonyMar

EOG Dedicated

Cards are desperate right now

Pujols is the horse ..... I say if Mr Ed barks loud enough this might become a
reality

McGuire loved STL and so would Manny

loved it so much...that dewitt had to pay him...in order for him to come back for 'mark mcgwire' day.

then when he took down the number from the old busch...he snuck out...and refused to walk around the stadium.

one of the biggest frauds in major league history...

fucking hermit.

every year...larussa invites the 'steroid-king' to jupiter...

and every year he no-shows.

Doc Mercer

EOG Master

McGuire has lost.... 40 lbs since he quit playing ball?

I don't see his ass ever having a Plaque in Cooperstown

Journeyman

EOG Master

So where will the hottest bat at the end of last season end up?

I wouldn't give Manny 4 yrs either...2 with heavy incentives that could pay him upwards of 20 M, but he's gonna have to play for it and only if I felt my team could win in the 2 yrs.

The Angels would still be an interesting fit.

Doc Mercer

EOG Master

Head to the Strangers and DH for the next 3 yrs ... him and Hamilton back to
back would be a decent combo

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

That sure would be fun to watch.

The two best righties over the past 20 years outside of A Rod.

Frank Thomas, in his prime, was the greatest right handed hitter I've seen (in my lifetime and Manny doesn't count). I do think Manny is the greatest, clearly, but Thomas' numbers in his prime were UNREAL. He should be a three time MVP, which doesn't happen often in baseball.

Journeyman

EOG Master

Thomas was unstoppable in his prime years...huge RBI guy, OBP...not quite on Manny's level though but not many have been....Pujols may in fact be greater than Manny before he's done...and then A-Rod who gets a bum rap for his post season play.

Thomas also had the unique abilty to hit for high avg as well , depsite being a power hitter who got zero hits from playing on astro turf or his speed....he was also late to show because he played college baseball, yet still put up those significant milestone numbers.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

Thomas was unstoppable in his prime years...huge RBI guy, OBP...not quite on Manny's level though but not many have been....Pujols may in fact be greater than Manny before he's done...and then A-Rod who gets a bum rap for his post season play.

Thomas also had the unique abilty to hit for high avg as well , depsite being a power hitter who got zero hits from playing on astro turf or his speed....he was also late to show because he played college baseball, yet still put up those significant milestone numbers.

Agreed. I actually think Thomas was a "Pure Hitter" who just happened to have power. He had great gap to gap ability, and he hit a lot of line drives. A lot of his line drives left the ball park. His strike year numbers were JAW DROPPING.

Would make quite the formidable lineup, to say the least...

Pujols
Man-Ram
Ludwick
Glaus
Ankiel

That's, potentially, 150+ HR's.

Minaya has had a man-crush on Manny for YEARS... why in the hell aren't the Mets trying to sign him?

Journeyman

EOG Master

Yep, he was an 'average' hitter in a heavy-jumbo body, he was that good, and did a lot of that damage pre-steroid ...he always wore out Balto, even when they were still a good team...I hated to see him come up, it seemed like he had a .500 OBP vs Balto.

TonyMar

EOG Dedicated

McGuire has lost.... 40 lbs since he quit playing ball?

I don't see his ass ever having a Plaque in Cooperstown

i would bet 10 dimes right now...

that he never gets in...by the baseball writers...

'little mac' received fewer votes this year.

but here's the thing...

i do not think he even gives a shit.

TonyMar

EOG Dedicated

Would make quite the formidable lineup, to say the least...

Pujols
Man-Ram
Ludwick
Glaus
Ankiel

That's, potentially, 150+ HR's.

Minaya has had a man-crush on Manny for YEARS... why in the hell aren't the Mets trying to sign him?[/quote]

i am going to assume that wilpon has seen the attendance projections for the new stadium....

and he is not pleased.

or...

if they forced their season ticket holders to purchase psl's....

then that could be the problem.

attendance will be down this season...across-the-board...in mlb.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!

if there is one thing Borass is good at doing is having teams bid against themselves and thus giving his clients more money and years. too many examples to post here

SAME THING is happening here although this time NO ONE is dumb enuf to believe it. Cards will NEVER sign Manny. Giants are NOT gonna sign Manny. Manny will end up back with the Dodgers but on THEIR terms not his. i know that is dangerous because a less than happy Manny is not a productive Manny but Borass overplayed his hand here. he told Manny he could get him 5 or 6 years at $25M per - and maybe he could have until the economy went into the toilet. Manny had 2 for $20M each so that is $40M and Borass knows he better get Manny more than that to save face

Look for Manny to sign a 2-year $45m contract with the Dodgers with a CLUB option for the 3rd year that is vested if certain goals are met

Lou Brock stands a better chance of playing for the Cards this season than Manny

wick city

EOG Enthusiast

with his track record, the economy and his age, no team is going to give manny 100 mil over 4 years.

Journeyman

EOG Master

i would bet 10 dimes right now...

that he never gets in...by the baseball writers...

'little mac' received fewer votes this year.

but here's the thing...

i do not think he even gives a shit.

I agree, McGwire sure seemed like the type of player once he walked away he was done with the game, he said all the right things before congres but where has he been since?

Big Mac could care less :pop: he still lived the life.