Worst Night of Poker in My Life

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows
Just horrible. I got into 14 tournaments total today, and I placed in none of them. To put this into perspective, on average I place in 23% of my tournaments. Today I wasn't even close. I was in five tournaments where 1st place got more then 7.5k. In those five tournaments I lost in the following ways.

Tournament 1:
My stack: 12k
Average stack: 19k

My hand: KK

Had two raisers pre-flop, with one caller. 3 people in the hand ahead of me, and the pot is approximately 7k when it gets to me. I shove all-in preflop and get one caller. He turns over 88. Flop comes 10-K-7. Turn 9, river 6. He hits a four card straight and I lose the tournament. The pot was 31k.

Tournament 2:

My Stack: 18k
Average Stack: 10k

My hand: QQ

I'm in the Big Blind and one guy has raised 1k pre flop. I reraise him 2k. He calls. Flop comes 7-10-4. He checks. I raise him 6k, which is about the size of the pot. He flat calls. Next card is a J. He checks, and I push. He snap calls and turns over JJ. I lost 16k and am short and my K9 loses to 10-10 two hands later when I'm forced to push.

Tournament 3:

My stack: 20k
Average Stack: 18K

My hand: 9-10 Diamonds

I'm in the Big Blind again and one guy raises 1k pre flop. There are two callers behind him and I flat call (5.2K pot). Flop comes K-4-7 diamonds. I bet 2k, and everyone folds besides one guy. Turn comes, K of clubs. I push all in and he insta-calls. He turns over A-3 diamonds. Sweet, I know. I lose 17k, and I'm short as hell again and I go out with AJ against KQ. I had AJ and lost of course.

Tournament 4:

My Stack: 7k
Average Stack: 10k

My hand: AA

I'm first two act and raise 3 times the BB (600). A big stack with 30k in chips is immediate to act after me and raises to 1800. Everyone folds. It gets around to me and I push all in. He calls and flips over 99. Flop comes 2-7-5, turn J, river 9. I lose again.

Tournament 5:

My Stack: 25k
Average Stack: 19k

My hand: KK

I'm in the middle of the table and a guy raises to 1100. I reraise to 2300. Everyone folds until it gets around to the original raiser. He has 21k in chips at the start of the hand. He re-raises me and I push all-in preflop. He flips over AA and it holds against my KK. I now have 3300 in chips. Four hands later, I think they're trying to get me back into the game. I have 4200 in chips and I'm in the Big Blind. I have AK (hearts), and there are two little guys, less than 5k in chips, all-in pre flop and one big stack. I call. The pot is 18.5k, so I can get right back into it. One guy has 66, another has AQ, and the big stack has KQ. Flop comes K-K-5, turn 3, river Q. Jeeze it sure was great.

Sorry, just needed to vent. This was one of the worst days of my poker playing life. I've never taken so many horrific beats.

cheapseats

EOG Master
Re: Worst Night of Poker in My Life

Yes siree, Hold'em is a gas....I only play live anymore, and of late, I get killed no matter what, always second best, always shit pockets. I almost went in today for a few hours and then thought about the shit that happens in this game and decided my mind was not right-stayed away. You'll rebound, but man it sure is shit.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

It's not rigged and I've won a decent amount of money in my life playing online. It's nights like these that really get me going though.

The problem is, I get sucked out on a lot more than I suck out on people because I'm rarely in a hand where I'm not best. That's what's frustrating.

It's not rigged-that's just an easy out when you see crazy shit happen online. If you play enough live, you'll see it all.

cheapseats

EOG Master

It's not rigged-that's just an easy out when you see crazy shit happen online. If you play enough live, you'll see it all.

That's for sure. Few weeks ago a floor man sees my AA lose on the river to a k9 suited 2p. Looks at me and says "see it all the time, lucky you didn't lose more.

royalfan

EOG Dedicated

It's not rigged and I've won a decent amount of money in my life playing online. It's nights like these that really get me going though.

The problem is, I get sucked out on a lot more than I suck out on people because I'm rarely in a hand where I'm not best. That's what's frustrating.

I think we play pretty similar styles it sounds like. I have a hard time getting a bunch of chips though most of the time. Play a just try to hang around and hit a rush when I get to the money style. Need to make a few minor adjustments obviously and get better at playing post flop. Never taken time to learn the game, just self taught. I need to fix my flaws, and have good weapons to use if and when i take the game seriously.

I got my ass handed to me last night 12 tabling small cash games. I need to decide to play multis cash sitngos or whatever and stick to it for the long run and learn to play it well. Everything that could go wrong did last night in that session, similar to what you ran in to. Post flop play much more important in cash and I need to get better.

Alright, I'm in.....Stars single table?

I'm jumping into something within 10 min

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

I think we play pretty similar styles it sounds like. I have a hard time getting a bunch of chips though most of the time. Play a just try to hang around and hit a rush when I get to the money style. Need to make a few minor adjustments obviously and get better at playing post flop. Never taken time to learn the game, just self taught. I need to fix my flaws, and have good weapons to use if and when i take the game seriously.

I got my ass handed to me last night 12 tabling small cash games. I need to decide to play multis cash sitngos or whatever and stick to it for the long run and learn to play it well. Everything that could go wrong did last night in that session, similar to what you ran in to. Post flop play much more important in cash and I need to get better.

I am a very conservative player, but I play pot odds more than most. I am not a suited connector guy, unless I'm getting 3-1 or higher on my return. I play around 16% of my hands over an extended period of time, but I don't like to get all in preflop if it can be avoided.

One of the main reasons people think online poker is rigged is because you play 10* the amount of hands per hour online, compared to live, and that leads to 10* the amount of bad beats.

royalfan

EOG Dedicated

I am a very conservative player, but I play pot odds more than most. I am not a suited connector guy, unless I'm getting 3-1 or higher on my return. I play around 16% of my hands over an extended period of time, but I don't like to get all in preflop if it can be avoided.

One of the main reasons people think online poker is rigged is because you play 10* the amount of hands per hour online, compared to live, and that leads to 10* the amount of bad beats.

Yeah pot odds are huge. With a little implied odds figured in also. Pretty sure we played together some in the choptalk challenge thing. At least I am told it was you. Anyway, you were very solid then, no question about it if it was you.

Don't think I am in tonight TTinco. Good night betting hoops, going to catch up on some dvr tv and relax a little.

cheapseats

EOG Master

I like your suited-connector odds play, I seldom ever play them, subject to position, may have to rethink this some.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

I like your suited-connector odds play, I seldom ever play them, subject to position, may have to rethink this some.

If I could give a quick run down of something one of the best online poker players in the world taught me, maybe it'll help someone as much as it helped me.

As a big stack in a tournament, which can be interpreted differently by different people, (I should say big stack at a table) you should play close to 30% of your hands. You should see as many flops as possible. If you can limp, do it. If you are average stack or lower, you shouldn't be limping unless you have a pocket pair 9 or lower.

You should never be chasing at a pot that is giving you less than 3-1 odds, unless you're big and it's cheap.

Never limp AA or KK. Period.

Don't get committed to AA or KK. If someone is showing strength lay it down and move on. I know it's hard, but you'll never win anything if you can't lay down monster hands.

Position is EVERYTHING in poker. A-10 off suit is a fine hand to call with when there are 4 left to act, but it's not a fine hand to call with when you're first to act (unless of course your relatively big).

These are a few things that I changed over the last year, and it's made me pretty successful.

And last, but not least, you should never re-raise someone, preflop, w/o being ready to go all in to a push. That bothers me more than anything. I hate when someone re-raises a pre flop raiser, and then folds to their push. You should be repopping with All-In type hands, otherwise try and see a flop.

Timetopay

EOG Master

Timely bad luck man. Whats your pokerstars name so i can look for you around the tables

cheapseats

EOG Master

Don't get committed to AA or KK. If someone is showing strength lay it down and move on. I know it's hard, but you'll never win anything if you can't lay down monster hands.

Agree with all else you have said, however, the above is still a bitch most of the time b/c they are best. But the more you get beat with them, as you did tonight, the more you understand the need to lay them down.

34% pre flop

Think about it.....you have the best possible hand-for now.....34%-thirty four.

cheapseats

EOG Master

34% pre flop

Think about it.....you have the best possible hand-for now.....34%-thirty four.

true, at this point you have to hope you have a good read on the player, and the way things are going, i fully believe in table momentum....

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

PokerStars Game #24545036254: Tournament #137802166, $10+$1 Hold'em No Limit - Level XV (1000/2000) - 2009/02/02 22:54:59 ET
Table '137802166 107' 9-max Seat #4 is the button
Seat 1: aquaman802 (60585 in chips)
Seat 2: bdean_182 (16552 in chips)
Seat 3: TARIFA (14348 in chips)
Seat 4: phxfris (44352 in chips)
Seat 5: Kaija7 (26795 in chips)
Seat 6: W-Sox Fan 22 (30200 in chips)
Seat 7: Sardo78 (74232 in chips)
Seat 8: babyphat76 (13354 in chips)
Seat 9: _Meek_One_ (51504 in chips)
aquaman802: posts the ante 200
bdean_182: posts the ante 200
TARIFA: posts the ante 200
phxfris: posts the ante 200
Kaija7: posts the ante 200
W-Sox Fan 22: posts the ante 200
Sardo78: posts the ante 200
babyphat76: posts the ante 200
_Meek_One_: posts the ante 200
Kaija7: posts small blind 1000
W-Sox Fan 22: posts big blind 2000
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to W-Sox Fan 22 [As Qh]
Sardo78: folds
babyphat76: folds
_Meek_One_: folds
aquaman802: folds
bdean_182: raises 14352 to 16352 and is all-in
TARIFA: folds
phxfris: folds
Kaija7: folds
W-Sox Fan 22: calls 14352
*** FLOP *** [8c 6s 6d]
*** TURN *** [8c 6s 6d] [7d]
*** RIVER *** [8c 6s 6d 7d] [Jc]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
W-Sox Fan 22: shows [As Qh] (a pair of Sixes)
bdean_182: shows [Jh Ad] (two pair, Jacks and Sixes)
bdean_182 collected 35504 from pot
W-Sox Fan 22 said, "cool"
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 35504 | Rake 0
Board [8c 6s 6d 7d Jc]
Seat 1: aquaman802 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 2: bdean_182 showed [Jh Ad] and won (35504) with two pair, Jacks and Sixes
Seat 3: TARIFA folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 4: phxfris (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 5: Kaija7 (small blind) folded before Flop
Seat 6: W-Sox Fan 22 (big blind) showed [As Qh] and lost with a pair of Sixes
Seat 7: Sardo78 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 8: babyphat76 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 9: _Meek_One_ folded before Flop (didn't bet)

God this sure is fun. This is my biggest tournament of the night. I just doubled up and got back to 30k in chips 4 hands later, but I would have A LOT of chips if it weren't for that hand. Once again, I get fucked late in a tournament with a lot on the line.

shdw01

EOG Dedicated

poker is only rigged when you play with TTinco....he has a special switch in his stars and he can activate anyone's doomswitch that is on his table

you sonofabitch!

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

I will add that in that tournament I got real big early, after doubling up with AA vs. JJ. Two hands later I got a4 clubs, and I had double what everyone else had, and there were three guys all-in. There was a lot of value and I called. My A4 clubs hit the flush and busted AA, but that was nearly 4 hours ago now. I will say that is the first HORRIFIC beat I've taken tonight, but that's also the biggest spot I've been in.